Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-10-2020, 02:30 PM   #161
Judders
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
So this ⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️ is what you call "arguing in good faith"?
Sorry morgon, our arguing days are over.

Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:43 PM   #162
BenK-msx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
are you melting?

also anyone thinking their free speech rights are inhibited are weird af and don't know what that means.
No - but Like you Jason I am offering my personal actual opinion on the matter - you in no way have to hold it too! That's the point .

As you elude to later the whole reaper experience and brand is bound up in community, not being corporatised, trusting users to pay for licenses, easy going, a helpful largely self moderating forum instead of 'support' - direct access to fab developers, etc etc. Very unique and makes comparisons to 'other daw forum' moot.

So to harm that trust imo harms the brand as a whole, muddies the main forum and over time empties it of valuable relationships, users and contributers.

Something that existed perfectly well for decade suddenly vanishes and not even a word on it, yielding this speculation thread.

Lounge was not for all, by definition - it cleaned the main forum - nor every thread was for all, but you could find a couple of guys and gals to thrash things out in a way very rare compared to corporate / sponsored forums on the topic of your choice.

That's pretty cool and something to **protect**, not highlight as odd or something to get rid of.

Despite discussion differences I genuinely respect the regulars totally for having the mental fortitude to enter and go back and forth, and 99% of the time knowing when to stop. That only happens with repeated engagements and an understanding of each other.

Again - cool and rare

when a music /reaper topic in main forum comes up, same guys who were slapping each other in the lounge are perfectlyl chummy and leave Vegas in Vegas..

This ' they can do what they want argument' is rather weak, when they've spent several years not messing with it and all was well.

And for anyone who thinks my theory about this being 99% about politics and 2020 election phobia -

Look how well-read publications react to ( expected ) news -
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...chment/606280/

Large swathes of the population are mentally distressed, it's not an exaggeration. Decision making is all up the wall up and down the lands..

Mainly due to the hands of the 'evil media' which is a great lounge topic (sigh) in itself..

But pulling the plug NOW is a flag that a mod or two may need to be reassigned and let cooler heads have a go.

Especially with this zero comms which just compounds the problem and is a disrespect to users and the content they've posted over the years too.

I would love to be as helpful as the first half of my time here where users could answer queries in seconds with links and make a macro. Etc for someone, was great.
My sig is testimony to a long form desire to be more than not helpful.

If a user wants to mainly lounge, noone should judge that negatively.

So the forum and users change, they drop in to ask where the video tutorial is and dont want to forum search or read something ( an exaggeration but a trend) - it's a sign of the times and future for forums like this is probably falling usage.. so hey let's just get there quicker I guess.

Personally a shame, the guy that doesn't give a shit needn't post to tell me.

Last edited by BenK-msx; 02-10-2020 at 02:55 PM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:47 PM   #163
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
when a music /reaper topic in main forum comes up, same guys who were slapping each other in the lounge are perfectlyl chummy and leave Vegas in Vegas..
That is true, and cool indeed.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:49 PM   #164
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
As for people commenting on politics thousands of miles from them; like it or not, US politics affects everyone on the planet.
Not the point I was trying to make, so I should clarify. A high quality exchange between people who live half a world apart on things happening in one's country is great. When it is suggested that the one not at the location where something is happening needs to learn more about the subject, as there are some facts wrong in their post, and it immediately goes down the defensive p1ssing contest road instead of the one where opposite opinions lead to learning and at least the acceptance of the validity of the other's opinion, that's not great. I have no idea how it's been lately, but when I used to post there the latter pretty much sums up the vibe, and if one liked that kind of thing then they had a ball. I'm a part of several Off Topic forums elsewhere and The Lounge is the only one I felt didn't have a handle on how to have political discussions that stayed clear of insults and personal attacks when the heat went up five degrees..
Old 02-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #165
BenK-msx

Quote:
That is true, and cool indeed.
Fist bump
Old 02-10-2020, 03:10 PM   #166
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
Not the point I was trying to make, so I should clarify. A high quality exchange between people who live half a world apart on things happening in one's country is great. When it is suggested that the one not at the location where something is happening needs to learn more about the subject, as there are some facts wrong in their post, and it immediately goes down the defensive p1ssing contest road instead of the one where opposite opinions lead to learning and at least the acceptance of the validity of the other's opinion, that's not great. I have no idea how it's been lately, but when I used to post there the latter pretty much sums up the vibe, and if one liked that kind of thing then they had a ball. I'm a part of several Off Topic forums elsewhere and The Lounge is the only one I felt didn't have a handle on how to have political discussions that stayed clear of insults and personal attacks when the heat went up five degrees..
I've had some conversations with political opposites in the lounge that were cordial, evidence-based and involved concessions by both parties... believe it or not.

I wouldn't say that was the norm though.

Visco was good at bringing some philosophy into the mix when he was posting, too.

Still, I'm not the kind to look back. It's gone, I'm on to the next thing.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:44 PM   #167
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivereto Esplorado View Post
Wow. I can manage this with my neighbors but with my family (read in-laws) is a completely different ball-game. No politics, sex or religion otherwise arguments generally ensue.
In that situation I just nod and pretend like I don't have an opinion and they are educating me.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:13 PM   #168
Timothy Lawler

I've always liked the Lounge. Yeah there was a certain percentage of posts infected by rabies but I was OK with that. Easy to mentally filter out. I hope the Lounge comes back.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:16 PM   #169
vdubreeze

Quote:
I've had some conversations with political opposites in the lounge that were cordial, evidence-based and involved concessions by both parties... believe it or not.

I wouldn't say that was the norm though.

Visco was good at bringing some philosophy into the mix when he was posting, too.

Still, I'm not the kind to look back. It's gone, I'm on to the next thing.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:52 PM   #170
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
that's fine, just saying, it's a bit odd that your "support of reaper" goes away when something unrelated to the program goes away.

If the entire forum disappeared I'd still use reaper. But cool man, you do you
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:49 PM   #171
Jae.Thomas

Case in point - I made a separate post, kinda sentimental, asking for different parts for the forum, etc...

it was deleted.

And you know what? That's fine. This isn't my personal fucking soapbox. This isn't my forum. Not my fucking program.

none of my business.

Let's just get some shit done
Old 02-10-2020, 09:58 PM   #172
jerome_oneil

I'm gonna argue that the very existence of this thread is prima facie evidence that removing the lounge was a mistake.

Someone aught to move this thing to the lou....

Dammit.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:00 PM   #173
Jae.Thomas

just dirty delete it
Old 02-10-2020, 10:24 PM   #174
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
I'm gonna argue that the very existence of this thread is prima facie evidence that removing the lounge was a mistake.

Someone aught to move this thing to the lou....

Dammit.
I actually agree with this.

The lounge is whacky place with all kinds of bizarre discussions, but it also had terrific threads and it actually helped people, myself included.

I can understand if it's too much hassle for moderators to put out flames or ban real assholes, or if it takes up too much computing or hosting bandwith.

Other than that, let's bring it back alive.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:12 PM   #175
bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
I actually agree with this.

The lounge is whacky place with all kinds of bizarre discussions, but it also had terrific threads and it actually helped people, myself included.

I can understand if it's too much hassle for moderators to put out flames or ban real assholes, or if it takes up too much computing or hosting bandwith.

Here here.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:30 AM   #176
Garrick

Amen..

Maybe we could have the lounge back
with a special folder called politics.

Then the rest of the sub-forum could be 'what I did on my holidays'
I loved those threads with 'hey look at this banjo I just purchased' or 'look at this lake'

The political commentary was just so mind numbingly repetitive so let's put that in it's own stupid folder so the rest of the sub forum can be about human stuff.

Justin if there's a way we can make this work, I am all ears.

Many regards

Garrick
Garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:48 AM   #177
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
It is not up to us.

However it would be nice to know why the Lounge was closed, even if the reply echoed this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcb4_QwP6fE
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:31 AM   #178
akademie

"Transparency" over "Conspiration"

It would be good to know why and then take it or not. Better that make conspiration theories why did it happen.
Or is the one who made the decision dead that cannot tell the community the reason?
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:03 AM   #179
lolilol1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrick View Post
Amen..

Maybe we could have the lounge back
with a special folder called politics.

Then the rest of the sub-forum could be 'what I did on my holidays'
I loved those threads with 'hey look at this banjo I just purchased' or 'look at this lake'

The political commentary was just so mind numbingly repetitive so let's put that in it's own stupid folder so the rest of the sub forum can be about human stuff.

Justin if there's a way we can make this work, I am all ears.

Many regards

Garrick
The problem is, even unmoderated, the owners of public forums have some legal responsibility for what is being written in them. You can't just create a "trash" category that you leave alone, this is not 4chan. You have to at least go see from time to time what's going on.
Until now, Cockos assumed that the users of the forum were adults who could self moderate. But I suppose lately, they have decided that this was no longer the case.
I can completely understand this argument, but I agree they should communicate. Instead of leaving the sticky post about the Lounge password, they should make a sticky post explaining why the Lounge is gone. And if they don't want to be drown into an endless and fruitless debate, just close that post for comments.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:59 AM   #180
Jae.Thomas

the spam trap should work
Old 02-11-2020, 09:16 AM   #181
Outboarder

The only thread that I really miss in Lounge is "What are you listening to right now ?"
Lyle Mays died today I was about to post this:

RIP Lyle.

Edit: missing the DIY thread too.

Last edited by Outboarder; 02-11-2020 at 10:03 AM.
Outboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:37 AM   #182
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outboarder View Post
The only thread that I really miss in Lounge is "What are you listening to right now ?"
Lyle Mays died today I was about to post this:
RIP Lyle.

Edit: missing the DIY thread too.
Do you mean this thread??
REAPER General Discussion Forum > Any Electronics DIYers Here?
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=133420
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:59 AM   #183
Outboarder

Yes That is.
Good it's there.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:16 AM   #184
pandabot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
the spam trap should work
The spam trap is gone too
pandabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:15 PM   #185
Jorgen

A selected few, it seems, have good knowledge about what actually has been said in the Lounge for the last 5 years or so. What information that's been disclosed and discussed. You've seen the bickering alright, and missed a few things here and there. Obviously.

To add to the confusion: Maybe it's Cockos that's being strongarmed as we speak. Think about it. Or tell me you don't give a fuck.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:38 PM   #186
Greedy

I was all set to finally win that argument about politics yesterday by cutting and pasting several different memes I had found on FB and 4Chan. Too bad, but when I saw the lounge was gonzo, I booted up Reaper and actually got some work done. My new single “Peter was Never Ever Right” will be dropping on Spotify soon.
Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:54 PM   #187
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy View Post
I was all set to finally win that argument about politics yesterday by cutting and pasting several different memes I had found on FB and 4Chan. Too bad, but when I saw the lounge was gonzo, I booted up Reaper and actually got some work done. My new single “Peter was Never Ever Right” will be dropping on Spotify soon.
They can't silence us. Fuckers.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:10 PM   #188
Jorgen

Susan, where are you?

I realize Xite and Fran are holed up in Virginia, but c'mon. Give us chaps a hand here.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:22 PM   #189
Jorgen

Valentine told me who's to go
Feelings he's treasured most of all
The teachers and the football star
It's in his tiny face
It's in his scrawny hand
Valentine told me so
He's got something to say, it's Valentine's Day
The rhythm of the crowd
Teddy and Judy down

[Chorus]
Valentine sees it all

[Verse 2]
Valentine told me how it feels
If all the world were under his heels
Or stumbling through the mall
It's in his tiny face
It's in his scrawny hand

[Chorus]
Valentine knows it all

[Bridge]
(Yeah)
Valentine Valentine
(Yeah) (Woo) (Woo)
Valentine Valentine

[Outro]
It's in his scrawny hand
It's in his icy heart
It's happening today
Valentine Valentine
It's in his scrawny hands
It's in his icy heart
It's happening today
Valentine Valentine
Old 02-11-2020, 09:17 PM   #190
jinotsuh

jinotsuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:37 PM   #191
Glennbo

Goodbye disappeared thread. What I reely wanna know is,

What are your favorite "all around" musical notes ?
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:18 PM   #192
Susan G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
Susan, where are you?

I realize Xite and Fran are holed up in Virginia, but c'mon. Give us chaps a hand here.
Hi Jorgen-

I'm here . I wasn't posting in the Lounge much lately, but I'm sorry it was closed down. It was a place for me to hear perspectives I don't get much of in real life. I liked that it was a relatively "closed" environment where I felt like I got to know the participants in political discussions a bit, as opposed to something like reddit, which seems like more of a free-for-all where the conversations degenerate more quickly into nastiness (like 2 posts instead of 4 .)

For me, the political arguments more or less ran their course and became way too predictable to be very interesting.

I am a little surprised that Cockos said nothing at all about closing it, though.

Not really giving you chaps a hand, I guess, but it's basically all I got!

-Susan
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:19 AM   #193
Jorgen

Good to see you, Susan. Let's see how this plays out. Maybe there's still hope.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:48 AM   #194
Randolph

Lounge disappearing is no great loss.
Now if only Facebook would disappear I would be so very happy.
Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:11 AM   #195
pipelineaudio
Mortal

The greatest tragedy in all of this? Where will we discuss claims of magical tonewood in electric guitars
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:43 AM   #196
tls11823

...and where else can I go when I want half of the threads to turn into two-person, never-ending discussions about Julian Assange?
Old 02-12-2020, 03:00 PM   #197
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
The greatest tragedy in all of this? Where will we discuss claims of magical tonewood in electric guitars
Here's a good place for that:

https://www.reranch.com/reranch/

I used to spend a lot of time refinishing old strats years ago when I had a garage.

Actually a great forum for stuff like that, some of the people there do some really awesome work, builds from scratch, including acoustic guitars, pretty cool actually.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:20 PM   #198
ivansc

The one thing I wont miss is the interminable discussion of US politics ALL the time. Yay!

Now all we need to do is get rid of Boris and they might let the lounge sneak back in under the guise of something like "cool new recipes to try whilst you are waiting for your plugins to scan"....
Old 02-12-2020, 09:15 PM   #199
Quasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post

D minor is the saddest key in the world.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:32 PM   #200
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
D minor is the saddest key in the world.
Hehe, I thought for sure this thread was toast when that giant picture of orange man showed up, but somehow it's still here. I guess upper level management isn't reading this.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote