Old 09-27-2017, 08:01 AM   #1
Human being with feelings

Default Lite version option

There's so much u can do in reaper, which is great, but sometimes with so many options, menus, folders, sub folders, it can get a little overwhelming and tedious to do simple things. I think it would be cool to have a stripped down version available, or at least an easy option to hide features you don't use. Kind of like how Cubase, cakewalk, etc has Lite versions of their software. For us who use reaper for basic recording and mixing. U know like record, drag and drop sections for arrangements, split, cut copy, etc. Add effects, simple automation... The basic stuff. Just an idea.
4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
mschnell

There are lots of "themes" available. Supposedly there are some that restrict the "obvious" options to a minimum.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:54 PM   #3
foxAsteria

You can customize almost all menus. Just strip out everything that you don't understand. Every action you can perform will still be listed in the actions list, but then only the features you use will be in the menus.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:54 PM   #4
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
You can customize almost all menus. Just strip out everything that you don't understand. Every action you can perform will still be listed in the actions list, but then only the features you use will be in the menus.
The problem with that is that it's like a teacher handing someone a 1,000 page book on computer language programming and telling them that they won't understand most of it, so read it all and only take notes on what they understand, rather than giving them a 300 page book they can understand.

Also, the wording and names for functions used in Reaper is so non standard (and dare I say inconsistent) that someone could be an experienced DAW user and not be able to figure out (until weeks on the forum) what to delete and what to keep. I spent literally months changing settings, including mouse modifiers, just to get Reaper to cut and paste the way I wanted it to. It didn't do it on default and I was unable to customize it with predictable results until asking here, and the only reason I persevered was because I was determined to not sort through any more DAWs to find one to replace a previous one in my home.

I would say that the key to a better Starter Version of Reaper lies in not changing any menus or action lists but overhauling the defaults so that it only gets into the featured-functional-yet-puzzling-when-not-desired-how-can-I-turn-it-off? behavior by finding out how to turn it on.

But the idea of a simpler, better starting point out-of-the-box settings of Reaper has come up regularly in the years I've been in the forum and it never moves the needle, so it's probably fruitless to keep bringing it up and pointing out the advantages of a new user being able to have it as an option, though I'll never be convinced it's better to make the new user struggle to turn behavior off rather than let the power user find out how to turn them on.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:01 PM   #5
foxAsteria

I believe someone did put together a simpler, noob friendly setup but you'd have to search the forums for it. I tried at one point, but I couldn't get any feedback on what people expected from such an endeavor.

Yea Reaper defaults are leave a lot to be desired, but you kinda have to be into deep customization to end up here in the first place. No other DAW comes close in that department.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:30 AM   #6
mschnell

Quote:
I believe someone did put together a simpler, noob friendly setup but you'd have to search the forums for it.
Seemingly there are not many Themes in ReaPack, yet

-Michael
Old 09-30-2017, 11:12 AM   #7

For me, the things that make reaper the best daw are the same things that make it kinda hard for beginners. I personally had to go thru alot of videos before I was up and running, where as other daws, I was able to get started right away. I know everyone has different needs, for some, Midi is huge, for others, they want control over everything, every parameter, for others, they just want to get their idea down easily. I'm not saying change reaper, I'm just saying maybe offer a more basic version like other daws do...
4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:44 PM   #8
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Seemingly there are not many Themes in ReaPack
Wasn't aware there were any themes in ReaPack. Plenty on The Stash though: https://stash.reaper.fm/tag/Themes

And here's that simplified setup:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=152012
Old 09-30-2017, 03:46 PM   #9
mschnell

Quote:
Plenty on The Stash though...
Of course experts are aware of the stash and even might be able to find something there. But whoever asks for a "light version" will not have a chance, while ReaScript is (or at least hopefully once will be) an immediately available and easy to use tool to find and install such extensions to individualize Reaper appropriately.

-Michael
Old 10-01-2017, 05:07 AM   #10
ivansc

Look in the newbie section. You will find exactly what you are requesting stickied there right at the top.

And fwiw it took ages to convince the Powers that Be to sticky it.
Now if the would only move the Newbie section higher up the forum sections.... we STILL get a ton of newbie questions posted all over the earlier sections rather than all in one place, which seems a bit silly when it would be SO easy to actually move the Newbie section into (ideally) second place, o even if you are about to post in General yo can actually SEE that there is a purpose built Newb section.

*sigh*

No bugger ever listens to us old farts....

Last edited by ivansc; 10-01-2017 at 05:15 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #11
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
L we STILL get a ton of newbie questions posted all over...
And additionally not every newbie is inclined to take a look at the forums. Many might just give up on the spot, as Reaper itself does not seem to provide a clue to switch to a minimalistic version.

-Michael