Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

View Poll Results: Would you use this feature?
Yes 251 99.60%
No 1 0.40%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #81
novocane99
Human being with feelings

Bump = come on dudes!
novocane99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #82
atommachine

BUMP !!! Spent hours mapping and no vst instrument feedback? WHAT!!!!
atommachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:54 PM   #83
novocane99

BUMP - ADD THIS FEATURE PLEASE!
Old 02-15-2014, 06:25 PM   #84
Doc Brown

BUMP

Midi feedback please.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:19 AM   #85
michi.333

111 votes here and only 77 for the feature request?
Come on!You have to vote here:
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=4388

This basic function needs to be implemented!
Iīve tried it with OSC, but for me itīs too hard to get in the OSC-thing...and as far as I know, itīs not even possible, to get MIDI feedback for learned parameters with OSC (?)
...so with OSC (or Klinkeīs BCR-mod) you have fixed controller assignments for the plugin parameters (..as I understand).
But sometimes (for me) it makes sense to change the layout for the controller assignments, so itīs easier to remember, where each parameter is.

(hope I didnīt explain too complicated? )
michi.333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #86
4x4uk

voted here and in the FR
4x4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:36 AM   #87
Fictional Substance

Want, I mean NEED this so badly. Placed my vote on FR page.
Fictional Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:24 AM   #88
novocane99

We NEED THIS!

Vote here and in the feature request below!

Old 02-24-2014, 06:31 AM   #89
jimmey

Voted. Even though my controller is not capable of it, it's still an important feature.

Is there also a FR for click parameter --> MIDI learn? If its a big plugin it's impossible to find anything in a list of 200 parameters.
jimmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #90
Vendetta V

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmey View Post
Voted. Even though my controller is not capable of it, it's still an important feature.

Is there also a FR for click parameter --> MIDI learn? If its a big plugin it's impossible to find anything in a list of 200 parameters.
Are you looking for learn last touched param?

if so then go to actions menu and add a keyboard command to 'Set midi learn for last touch FX parameter'. I have mine assigned to ctrl+alt+w for some reason. Works a charm when setting default parameters for new plugins.
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #91
jimmey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta V View Post
Are you looking for learn last touched param?

if so then go to actions menu and add a keyboard command to 'Set midi learn for last touch FX parameter'. I have mine assigned to ctrl+alt+w for some reason. Works a charm when setting default parameters for new plugins.
Nice. Can you include that to the context menu as well?
jimmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:51 PM   #92
mdelorme

+1

I agree with novocane99. Soft takeover and relative mode are quite difficult to set.

Since I can't wait for this feedback implementation, I use relative 2 mode, hide leds (too fancy for me anyway) and use BC manager to adjust my encoders resolution to match my VSTs UI..

+1
mdelorme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:00 AM   #93
milosh

+1
I need this
MIDI feedback to controller please.....
milosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:06 PM   #94
N2NPro

Default Reaper Midi Feedback

+1 Midi Feedback Please!!!!
TIA
N2NPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #95
zvukofor

yeap. Midi and OSC learned parameters feedback, please!
zvukofor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:12 AM   #96
novocane99

Bump

Essential feature!!

Please vote in the feature request

Old 05-22-2014, 04:58 AM   #97
FarfadetFarfelu

+1 This is really important with all the new controllers available !!

It should be possible to input into reaper a certain type of message and chose the type of message that is fed back to the controller for example the controller sends a CC message to activate an FX and reaper sends ou a Note message to the controller to activate a led on the controller.

This could be implemented as a Midi assignment Table in reaper.
Inputs column on left side, corresponding actions in the middle, and outputs to controller on the right.

Thanks.

Last edited by FarfadetFarfelu; 05-22-2014 at 06:00 AM.
FarfadetFarfelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #98
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarfadetFarfelu View Post
+1 This is really important with all the new controllers available !!

It should be possible to input into reaper a certain type of message and chose the type of message that is fed back to the controller for example the controller sends a CC message to activate an FX and reaper sends ou a Note message to the controller to activate a led on the controller.

This could be implemented as a Midi assignment Table in reaper.
Inputs column on left side, corresponding actions in the middle, and outputs to controller on the right.

Thanks.
Excellent suggestion to further enhance the concept. Strictly speaking, although it serves to provide feedback in your example, I would not call that "feedback" though, rather something like "conversion". If you only need it when the external (MIDI/OSC) controller changes the 'learned' parameter value, there may be some JS or VST effect that can be used for a workaround.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:34 PM   #99
FarfadetFarfelu

I'm currently looking for a vst to do the job that you suggest, but in the example above it's both feedback and conversion, i need it also when the parameter is changed inside reaper without external midi being send to it.

Some controllers only read "note" input to drive the leds, or limited cc values (like CC10 to CC19 to control ten leds).
That's why conversion is important.

I think Reaper is really missing on the controller craze that's going on right now.
FarfadetFarfelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:41 AM   #100
Mace404

Shameless bump, do want feedback!
Mace404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:29 AM   #101
Scoox

I find every REAPER update is just a dispassionate list of tiny changes that only 0.000001% of the user base will benefit from. Examples include:

+ API: fixed RenderFileSection() return value
+ JSFX: added support for reading various media types that REAPER supports (including FLAC, WavPack, etc)
+ Localization: allowed localization of toolbar names
+ ReaScript: avoid excess Undo_OnStateChange() calls and stale undo blocks for non-deferred scripts

These updates are great and I do appreciate the fact that devs are very detailed-focused but to be honest most users don't see any value in them. Reaper has never been my main DAW because it lacks in many areas and IMO it hasn't changed much (functionally speaking) for a very long time. I still hope one day it will become my main DAW though.
Scoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:18 PM   #102
Famousbyfive

Anyone know if this has been sorted yet? Just got passed a BCR and the workflow sucks arse without this feature. Devs we need this!!

Looks like this has been done here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=81818

No idea how to do it but it looks like it is now possible if anyone else is looking for this.

Last edited by Famousbyfive; 01-03-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Famousbyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:57 PM   #103
Famousbyfive

I was wrong. This hasn't been done but for the love of God please, please, please make this happen. Please.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:53 AM   #104
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famousbyfive View Post
I was wrong. This hasn't been done but for the love of God please, please, please make this happen. Please.
Well, I do have feedback to my BCR-2000, but it takes external OSC<-->MIDI conversion. So it *can* be done, if you really want to. It's just way too much hassle for the average user.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:22 PM   #105
Famousbyfive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Well, I do have feedback to my BCR-2000, but it takes external OSC<-->MIDI conversion. So it *can* be done, if you really want to. It's just way too much hassle for the average user.
As I understand it from nofish feedback is possible through mcu but you are then restricted to use that set of parameters, rather than the ability to freely assign the hardware to whatever vst parameter you like and then receive the correct feedback. Im using it purely for mixing, eq and compressor duties. I'm sure people are getting great use as it is but the thought of being able to use it with straight forward feedback would be unbelievable. Would quite happily kick in Ģ100 towards convincing a dev to work on this but I sure they've had far more impressive offers and still declined so I'll just wait and see what happens. One day....
Old 04-20-2015, 02:14 AM   #106
fundorin
Banned

bump

We are having this with shitty Automap. Why can't we have the same naturally via MIDI and OSC.
And I'm waitingfor years for a normal customizable HUI support instead of that HUI(partial) Csurf plugin. It seems like magic is gone.
fundorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:17 PM   #107
jdubs73

I actually purchased Studio One a few months ago because I was sick and tired of the frustration of trying to control plugins with my BCR2000. Studio One has great and easy implementation for this, and allows the focused plug in to show feedback.. took me literally 10 minutes to set it up. I appreciate that OSC exists, but I want to make music, not write code.

I was getting used to the new work flow in V2 and then Version 3 came out, which I purchased. The new version is crushing my CPU every time I try to run any old projects. I fought that program for about two weeks and then decided I would wait until they hopefully get the bugs worked out.. I came back to Reaper and was immediately struck at how much I felt at home. I can run plug-ins and VST instruments all day long and my CPU laughs at me.. barely cracks 5%.. Reaper is night and day on my machine.

However, my BCR2000 is now back upstairs collecting dust. This feature is literally the only thing missing from Reaper as far as I'm concerned. If they could PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF JEEBUS, add this feature, my life would be fulfilled as a human being forever and ever. (Well, I'd be really freakin' happy, anyway) C'MON!!!!
jdubs73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:04 PM   #108
bourzia

yea, this is literally the only thing I'm missing in Reaper.
bourzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:25 AM   #109
aspiringSynthesisingAlch

Default feedback, midi & osc - clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Yes there is. Where did you get that idea? (It was broken for a few versions, but check the latest pre-release versions.)

Especially with 14-bit MIDI control from the BCR-2000 converted back and forth to OSC, it's absolutely great to have smooth parameter changes (as editing 14-bit MIDI in REAPER is still not very user friendly, to say the least).
Reading with interest, interested in getting this OSC stuff working, using reaper with various vst's

Can I ask just clarify, re ' feedback', does this apply to both MIDI & OSC, and is it only if you have several hardware controllers that need to be 'synced' (I'm imagining like a real studio, where the faders move with the automation data as if by magic, or the volume knob on my sony stereo that rotates as the volume up/down command is performed via RC?

hoping to add an android tablet to my system, guessing midi isn't an option, looking into touchOSC, assuming ANYTHING can is possible...

thanks
aspiringSynthesisingAlch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 11:04 AM   #110
Mogwai

MIDI.

The feedback is needed for rotary encoders and motorized faders to point the correct value in the hardware.

Actually, the rotary encoders DO work in Reaper without MIDI feedback, IF they can be set up to send the values in relative mode (eg. NI Komplete Kontrol keyboards). But even in that case, the hardware can NOT give the visual feedback of the plugin parameter value. Which can be OK if you always have the plugin focused on the screen. But then you're tied to that workflow.

For a controller without a parameter labeling/naming functionality, the visual feedback of the value is absolutely essential, for example BCR2000.
Mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:31 PM   #111
aspiringSynthesisingAlch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubs73 View Post
I actually purchased Studio One a few months ago because I was sick and tired of the frustration of trying to control plugins with my BCR2000. Studio One has great and easy implementation for this, and allows the focused plug in to show feedback.. took me literally 10 minutes to set it up. I appreciate that OSC exists, but I want to make music, not write code.

I was getting used to the new work flow in V2 and then Version 3 came out, which I purchased. The new version is crushing my CPU every time I try to run any old projects. I fought that program for about two weeks and then decided I would wait until they hopefully get the bugs worked out.. I came back to Reaper and was immediately struck at how much I felt at home. I can run plug-ins and VST instruments all day long and my CPU laughs at me.. barely cracks 5%.. Reaper is night and day on my machine.

However, my BCR2000 is now back upstairs collecting dust. This feature is literally the only thing missing from Reaper as far as I'm concerned. If they could PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF JEEBUS, add this feature, my life would be fulfilled as a human being forever and ever. (Well, I'd be really freakin' happy, anyway) C'MON!!!!
hi, is there a video illustrating the feature? I'm struggling to grasp what it is that's amiss exactly. I'm guessing that it's to do with trendy midi hardware, and getting info back from the DAW.

I'm on page 3 of my d2go manual (went straight to the midi spec, not for me) (goo.gl/E0NmT9) and already I'm stumped.

There's a bit, re the LEDs...

"LEDs should turn on with a MIDI Note On message and turn off with a MIDI Note Off message. MIDI
Note On messages with a velocity of 0 are equivalent to a Note off message."

Is this ^ the kind of thing that can be done with studio, but not with Reaper?

I haven't used this controller, except to test with included demo of virtual pro... had an idea on 'my first surface/template/controller map' ('dynamic controller', goo.gl/ylbOHZ)

Please excuse my ignorance
aspiringSynthesisingAlch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:01 AM   #112
timboid

Bumping this. I got around using Klinke's excellent MCU, but the native impementation would be far better!
timboid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:59 PM   #113
Mogwai

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboid View Post
Bumping this. I got around using Klinke's excellent MCU, but the native impementation would be far better!
There's no workaround for Mac.
Mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:25 PM   #114
Icchan

Oh...

Once again feature that should have been in Reaper for years but isn't there.

I wonder why I keep coming upon these that have been requested for 4+ years and no cigar :/

And it's not even anything unreasonable or highly special really...
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:01 AM   #115
lou latch

Yes please, is it so hard to implement?
lou latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:54 PM   #116
Vendetta V

Oh man I remember back when I created this request. Still hasn't been done
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:55 PM   #117
foxAsteria

If you use OSC instead of MIDI, you can turn any phone or tablet touch screen into a powerful controller with feedback. Not quite as nice as knobs, but very convenient.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:20 PM   #118
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta V View Post
Oh man I remember back when I created this request. Still hasn't been done
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1638559

check out this script, might help in some circumstances. helped me.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:02 AM   #119
lou latch

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
If you use OSC instead of MIDI, you can turn any phone or tablet touch screen into a powerful controller with feedback. Not quite as nice as knobs, but very convenient.
Yes, but i exactly want to use LESS screen instead of more... I stare at screens so much that i almost fear losing the ability to see 3 dimensions :-)

Also, being able to change parameters with eyes closed leaves me MUCH more focus on the actual sound.

But thanks anyway!
Old 03-17-2016, 02:05 AM   #120
lou latch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1638559

check out this script, might help in some circumstances. helped me.
Thanks, i haven't seen this!

Unfortunately i don't have a controller yet for trying out if that works. I posted over there, maybe somebody can have a quick check if that works for plugins on audio tracks, too...