Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 12-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
4658dan
Human being with feelings

Default Recording from iPad 2 into Reaper

Hi guys, i just bought an iPad 2 and am using mainly musical apps. I want to use these apps to record into Reaper on my PC. I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 audio interface. I was going to get a 3.5mm-6.3mm adapter and just connect the headphone socket of the iPad to the line in socket on the Saffire. Would this be the correct way? I want to be up and running asap so wanted to seek advice.

Many thanks
4658dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:01 AM   #2
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4658dan View Post
I was going to get a 3.5mm-6.3mm adapter and just connect the headphone socket of the iPad to the line in socket on the Saffire.
Yes, you can connect it from the headphone jack. Just remember that the headphone output is (unbalanced) stereo, and the Focusrite inputs are balanced mono. If you use a single stereo/balanced cable to one Focusrite input, you will only hear a very quiet, phasy mess. Instead you must use a cable with a 3.5mm stereo jack in one end, and two mono 6.3mm jacks in the other.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:42 AM   #3
4658dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelwood View Post
Yes, you can connect it from the headphone jack. Just remember that the headphone output is (unbalanced) stereo, and the Focusrite inputs are balanced mono. If you use a single stereo/balanced cable to one Focusrite input, you will only hear a very quiet, phasy mess. Instead you must use a cable with a 3.5mm stereo jack in one end, and two mono 6.3mm jacks in the other.
Thankyou very much for your reply. Would this cable be ok then? So i attach the 3.5mm jack into the headphone socket of the iPad, then BOTH the 6.3mm jacks into say the line inputs 3 and 4 of the focusrite? Thanks again.

Last edited by 4658dan; 12-21-2011 at 04:47 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
mrelwood

Yes, that is a suitable one, and yes to the routing to line inputs. Just make sure you don't pay too much for such a cable.

Another common solution is to have a cable with the same 3.5mm stereo jack but two RCA-connectors in the other end, followed by RCA to 6.3mm plug adapters. This cable would make it possible to connect the iPad to a stereo system, or a mixing desk line in. Or mixer line out to a laptop, etc.

The latter cable and connectors should cost less than $10. If you don't want to be gentle with it, don't get the thinnest one available.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
4658dan

Ok thats great. I have these monitors which have RCA, TRS and XLR connections. These combined with my Saffire pro 14 and iPad, would you advise the 3.5mm to dual 6.3mm mono cable or the 3.5mm to dual RCA cable with adapters you mentioned?

I want to connect the iPad up to the monitors alone aswell so i dont have to have the computer on all the time. Would this still require the same cables mentioned?

This is the lead you mentioned as a common method with this adapter. Combining these basically creates the first lead you mentioned but i have more options as RCA is involved right? So i still plug the adapters into the line in inputs on my Saffire and then connect the RCA connectors? Regarding the monitors i have, i assume it would just be the same? Connect the iPad via headphone socket to the TRS connector on the monitors using the dual 6.3mm jacks?

I know the prices of these leads vary alot. The gold jacks "apparently" are better? I did watch something that proved this wrong so i will go with a cheaper one lol.

Thanks again for your help! Im learning alot and you're saving me alot of trouble i would've had. Sorry for the noobish questions .
Old 12-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4658dan View Post
would you advise the 3.5mm to dual 6.3mm mono cable or the 3.5mm to dual RCA cable with adapters you mentioned?
I would get the 3.5mm > RCA cable and adapters for better compatibility. Both cables would also allow you to connect the iPad directly to your monitors.

The adapter you linked had a picture of a wrong adapter, but I think it is just an accidental wrong picture. The black separator ring is in the wrong place, making it unsuitable for the connection you need. This is the correct one. Also, I would look for a more sturdy cable, like this one. Either way, it would not be a bad idea to have a spare or two, both the cable and the adapters.

Quote:
Combining these basically creates the first lead you mentioned but i have more options as RCA is involved right?
Exactly.

Quote:
The gold jacks "apparently" are better?
Theoretically yes, but there is a tremendously larger variance in the quality (and durability) of the cable and the connector, up to a notable difference in sound quality. I would disregard the gold plating completely, and choose a product that might have a better cable.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
4658dan

Thankyou very much! You have been most helpful. I will acquire the cable and adapters. Im having to wait until around Monday to actually do this so if i have any problems i will come back and if i dont i will come back anyway .... I have played about with Reaper a bit here and there but now im going for it! Thanks again!
Old 12-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
4658dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romero View Post
not undestand you at full )
....What?