Old 06-22-2019, 10:36 AM   #1
JayJSE2
Human being with feelings

Default Neutron 3 making Reaper lag?

So I was lucky enough to get a free upgrade to Neutron 3, but whenever I open the plugin window, it lags (audio as well as on screen) A LOT. This didn't happen with Neutron 2 and I haven't seen anyone else having this problem.

Is there a setting somewhere that might be causing problems with the new plugin GUI? As that seems to be the main change to the plugin.
JayJSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:53 PM   #2
JayJSE2

I'm still having this problem, and it definitely seems to be connected to the new GUI, as when I toggle the plugin UI off, the lag goes away. Unfortunately, that also makes it more difficult to use the plugin.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:12 PM   #3
tack

Try experimenting with the "Save minimal undo states" and "Avoid loading undo states when possible" under compatibility settings for the FX and see if that improves things.
tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:05 PM   #4
JayJSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post
Try experimenting with the "Save minimal undo states" and "Avoid loading undo states when possible" under compatibility settings for the FX and see if that improves things.
Unfortunately not... any other ideas?
Old 07-01-2019, 02:58 AM   #5
uksnowy

I think there is a general problem that exists between Reaper and Izotope software. I had the exact same problem a month back with the latest version of Tonal Balance Control. I fixed by simply going back to a previous version. I did contact Izotope and sent a video. I haven't heard from them since.

Contact Izotope and tell them your problem. May be if they get more people complaining they might react.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:55 AM   #6
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Do you still have Neutron 2 to test? Did you also update your OS by chance? AFAIK iZotope is using OpenGL for their GUIs and that could be a problem, or become a problem in times of Apple (I take it you're using a Mac) deprecating OpenGL support and OpenGL drivers allegedly not being developed much anymore.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:32 AM   #7
JayJSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
Do you still have Neutron 2 to test? Did you also update your OS by chance? AFAIK iZotope is using OpenGL for their GUIs and that could be a problem, or become a problem in times of Apple (I take it you're using a Mac) deprecating OpenGL support and OpenGL drivers allegedly not being developed much anymore.
That's the odd thing, Neutron 2 still works fine. Also, I was originally a few updates behind when I first downloaded it and have since updated, but that hasn't made a difference as far as I can tell.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:10 AM   #8
uksnowy

I emailed Izotope yesterday to enquire how things are progressing. Here is the response:

Hi Phil,

This is on the radar of our dev team and it is being looking into as we speak! Stay tuned for updates by subscribing to our newsletter if you haven’t already: https://www.izotope.com/en/company/n...subscribe.html

Let me know if you have any questions!
Sincerely,

Christopher
iZotope Customer Care
Old 12-12-2019, 10:31 AM   #9
David Carlyon

Did anything happen with this? Have been thinking about getting neutron, but have two concerns.

1. it will be too heavty on the system....i need to be able to use it on every channel simultaneously for it to be worth while.

2. It takes a lot of the process away from reaper. Many of the tools are geared towards doing the mix inside neutron, some of this i like...but ultimately the reason i chose reaper is precisely because it can do so much. I wonder if the value of neutron is diminished by reapers usefulness.

What do people think?

FWIW i also sold the waves mixhub because ultimately i decided that doing my mixing work with reapers faders was way more effective.
David Carlyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:01 PM   #10
poetnprophet

I have a similar issue with Ozone modules, almost specifically the Maximizer. And it seems to be related to my sample buffer size and the PDC. Normally I will mix at a 512 buffer....sometimes with a large project I need to increase that buffer to 1024.

But Ozone does not like 1024 at all. Even if my CPU usage is stable and relatively low, the whole project plays with crazy lag. If I change the buffer, it will play normally. If I remove Ozone and put another limiter, I can get away with 1024 or whatever....unless another annoying plugin wants to act like a baby. Sonnible Proximity EQ is like that
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:36 PM   #11
JayJSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
Did anything happen with this? Have been thinking about getting neutron, but have two concerns.

1. it will be too heavty on the system....i need to be able to use it on every channel simultaneously for it to be worth while.

2. It takes a lot of the process away from reaper. Many of the tools are geared towards doing the mix inside neutron, some of this i like...but ultimately the reason i chose reaper is precisely because it can do so much. I wonder if the value of neutron is diminished by reapers usefulness.

What do people think?

FWIW i also sold the waves mixhub because ultimately i decided that doing my mixing work with reapers faders was way more effective.
I'd recommend trying it out (I think there's a demo) and seeing if it works on your system.

There is the visual mixer, which is cool, but really completely optional. Without it, Neutron is just a channel strip with modules that you can change the order of (and switch off completely if you don't need them).
Old 12-13-2019, 04:21 AM   #12
uksnowy

I also see the same problem now using Nectar 3. My symptom is just a slowing down of the UI. There is no affect on the sound. I might go back to Izotope again. Just out of interest did any of you also report this to Izotope?
Old 12-13-2019, 05:38 AM   #13
D Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
I have a similar issue with Ozone modules, almost specifically the Maximizer. And it seems to be related to my sample buffer size and the PDC. Normally I will mix at a 512 buffer....sometimes with a large project I need to increase that buffer to 1024.

But Ozone does not like 1024 at all. Even if my CPU usage is stable and relatively low, the whole project plays with crazy lag. If I change the buffer, it will play normally. If I remove Ozone and put another limiter, I can get away with 1024 or whatever....unless another annoying plugin wants to act like a baby. Sonnible Proximity EQ is like that
I need to mix at 2048 and I get tons of problems even with almost the same computer build as in your signature.
I can be at 20% rt cpu usage and get glitches everytime I load some heavy masterings plugins like Ozone 8, Elevate, Pro-L2 oversampled, etc.

How can you mix with only 512 ?
My soundcard is a 2007 ish piece of discontinued Presonus Firestudio hardware.
Its using the firewire 400 protocol.
Do you think its a faulty device?
Tbh its driving me crazy I cant do reasonnably sized songs without worrying
Old 12-16-2019, 05:35 PM   #14
poetnprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Rocks View Post
I need to mix at 2048 and I get tons of problems even with almost the same computer build as in your signature.
I can be at 20% rt cpu usage and get glitches everytime I load some heavy masterings plugins like Ozone 8, Elevate, Pro-L2 oversampled, etc.

How can you mix with only 512 ?
My soundcard is a 2007 ish piece of discontinued Presonus Firestudio hardware.
Its using the firewire 400 protocol.
Do you think its a faulty device?
Tbh its driving me crazy I cant do reasonnably sized songs without worrying
well, that's the thing: PDC-heavy plugins will kill your workflow even with a solid DAW rig. It doesn't have to be Ozone or mastering plugs.... Sonnible's Proximity EQ can be wonderful, until the mix starts to progress and the PDC is killing playback...it's over 5000 samples. Ozone is like 25k samples!

So, how do I mix and master at 512? I don't use the Maximizer anymore, I use another limiter with much less PDC. I try to only use zero latency plugins whenever possible, and I keep an eye on PDC on a per track basis.

If I have to use PDC heavy plugs, I will freeze tracks
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:07 PM   #15
David Carlyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
well, that's the thing: PDC-heavy plugins will kill your workflow even with a solid DAW rig. It doesn't have to be Ozone or mastering plugs.... Sonnible's Proximity EQ can be wonderful, until the mix starts to progress and the PDC is killing playback...it's over 5000 samples. Ozone is like 25k samples!

So, how do I mix and master at 512? I don't use the Maximizer anymore, I use another limiter with much less PDC. I try to only use zero latency plugins whenever possible, and I keep an eye on PDC on a per track basis.

If I have to use PDC heavy plugs, I will freeze tracks

This is what i am doing, increasingly. Plugs like DMG are great because you can mix with the oversampling off and then just turn it on when you want to render.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:09 PM   #16
alemass

Had more or less the same issue.
I TURNED OFF the delay compensation inside the plug on ozone 8.
Instead I still have some clips with Vertigo vsc just on the very first note played it will always generate a click.
alemass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:56 PM   #17
David Carlyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
This is what i am doing, increasingly. Plugs like DMG are great because you can mix with the oversampling off and then just turn it on when you want to render.
But i should say, a lot of my distortion and compressor plugins do still use oversmapling. This is necesary for me. but the way i am tending to do it now is render the latent plugs and then for final mixdown i am just having zero or low latency plugs running.

One thing that is annoying is - i wanted to just have neutron on at the end. Render everything into new takes on each track (so i can step back if i need to) and then just mix with neutron.
Unfortunately my system doesn't seem to agree with this workflow.

But man, regarding PDC - i have just been trying to get back into pro tools and the timing is insanely off so much of the thime. Really disappointing!!
Old 06-16-2020, 04:31 AM   #18
faun2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemass View Post
Had more or less the same issue.
I TURNED OFF the delay compensation inside the plug on ozone 8.
Instead I still have some clips with Vertigo vsc just on the very first note played it will always generate a click.
Turning PDC off is the only thing that stops crackling audio in reaper but then makes it impossible to do anything with a huge latency! Really annoyed right now.

http://bit.ly/free-sample-packs- Totally Free High Quality Sample Packs
faun2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:49 AM   #19
faun2500

I fixed it!!!! I was just about to go try studio one (again!) but I fixed it. lol

To anyone that might be looking for this crackling audio when pressing stop: Try the Playback settings in preferences and set "RUN FX WHEN STOPPED" to off (un-tick).

It is definitely related to the audio problems with PDC. Lot's of posts about Ozone plugins and buffering audio noises. This is the only thing that has completely fixed it.

http://bit.ly/free-sample-packs- Totally Free High Quality Sample Packs
faun2500 is offline   Reply With Quote