Old 07-18-2007, 03:43 PM   #81
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbognar View Post
I downloaded the original theme to Color Themes/Cornish and extracted the zip file there. Then I copied the theme file to the Color Themes directory. This is how it looks when I change to Cornish (doesn't look at all as advertised) - what am I doing wrong?
Perhaps you have got your folders nested? The Zip file will have recreated the file structure, so check to see if there's another 'Cornish' folder inside ColorThemes/Cornish... if so then that's wrong, put everything from ColorThemes/Cornish/Cornish into ColorThemes/Cornish
White Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:51 AM   #82
pbognar
Human being with feelings

Default smacking self...

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Perhaps you have got your folders nested? The Zip file will have recreated the file structure, so check to see if there's another 'Cornish' folder inside ColorThemes/Cornish... if so then that's wrong, put everything from ColorThemes/Cornish/Cornish into ColorThemes/Cornish
You nailed it!!!

Thanks
pbognar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:04 PM   #83
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Cool

If anyone's got half as confused as me, you'll be pleased to know that there's a Cornish Multipack with all three themes, plus the variation folders. See post #1...
Old 07-20-2007, 09:24 PM   #84
Shan

I just grabbed the new multi pack. Great work once again.

Shane
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:57 AM   #85
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Thanks!

Multipack in post #1 is updated to use the fancy new scrollbars.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:46 AM   #86
darjama

maybe I'm being blindingly stupid, but how do we use the new splash screens?
darjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:56 AM   #87
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

No not stupid, it is very well hidden
Options > Preferences > General > Advanced UI/system tweaks > Custom Splash Screen Image
Old 07-24-2007, 09:52 AM   #88
chip mcdonald

I don't want to bust WT's chops, because I think he's doing a great job, but these are just some useless "IMO" thoughts from a former graphic artist:

Cornish:

1) Could you make the TCP buttons have an intermediate glow when you hover over them?

2) The rec arm button doesn't turn red, but just the border?

3) I still think the "Chiclets" fader buttons look cheap relative to the rest of the GUI

4) How about some photo-realistic "mini toggles"? With the shadow implementation, I think toggles might be visually better for the rec arm button, to give it some contrast from the "up/down" variants. Plus - since you're dealing with hardware, it may have a sort of pseudo-ergonomic value as well: it would be satisfying to "flip a toggle" when turning on an input... that would give Reaper a novel character right there;

5) I'd prefer a non-"Frenched" gutter for the fader. The hihglightinng on the "cast alu" look is too stark IMO, and makes it look cluttered. BUT, what would be tres cool would be to have a "felt-lined slot" for the fader, with a very thinly delineated slot (which is what you have on most high-end consoles, anyhow);

6) There is one MAJOR thing that still dates Reaper's GUI: squared off panels. I know it's not allowable (yet), but if some portraiture could be made of the TCP panels themselves along the edges (ironically, ala the Frenched-in fader slots I don't like <g>) that would finally cap off the "Win95 antecedents" effect.

7) The lettering on the buttons look too "flat", OR non-photo realistic relative to everything else. This is caused by (IMO):
the white on the "M" of the mute button, "E" of the FX button, is too bright/saturated; the black of the "S" of the solo is too uniformly black (can one infer a slight "gloss reflection of black paint on a tiny button?"; also - "are the mute/send buttons lighted while "up"?" - they appear to be in a quasi-non-quanta state of neither "lit" (because there's no light blurring the edge), but they appear too "bright" to be nulled... I'd prefer darker "unlit" buttons...

(or, some buttons like that in the real world actually have the clear portion recessed; put some portraiture/shadow along the inside edge of the button, which could then be clearly "lit up" when activated?)

8) Transport buttons: I had a cassette tape recorder from Sears as a kid. The buttons on it don't remind me of the buttons on say, a Studer...

/ While I don't like the clutter of the Cubase/Nuendo GUI, my hat is off to them for consistency in the look across the board and the non-"OS dependent" effect. I like what White Tie is doing from a design-sense standpoint relative to individual items (buttons), but from a snoooty-graphic designer standpoint I'd emphasize (and this is VERY emphatic) -

... if you commit to pseudo-photorealistic look, you've GOT to come through with tying together all elements as it would appear in the real world.

Meaning - some things/items look like what you'd get on a nice retro-boutique piece.. What I have to hand to Fletcher as a "Mercenary" look... but other items are not congruent to that.

The Chiclets fader knobs and record-arm buttons look "CD player from Big Lots"; the Frenched-brushed-alu TCP panels "mid-level pro-audio (Presonus, Line6, etc.); the pan knobs look "Westinghouse blender" (and the pan knobs should be congruent to the fader, IMO).. They're well done, but I don't see a manufacturer putting out a "big ticket" audio product with a mixed-look like that.

Other than that, great work (seriously).... I should resist the urge to be critical, but hopefully I'm explaining myself concisely enough not to offend...

/ last parting shot: while the track color-scheme is a bit less "Neccos candy", it's not congruent with where the "classier" WT GUI look is headed, IMO. The range of hues needs to be limited somehow, so that if you've got to have a brushed-alu look TCP the color doesn't make it look "less real"... In otherwords, the colors should leave the TCP panels looking like a more saturated anodized look you actually get with brushed aluminum. For example, while I don't like pink, when you have it on brushed aluminum it's not *that* pastel looking....
Old 07-24-2007, 10:28 AM   #89
Youn

To me this reminds me of a well-loaded rack of gear, all different kinds ranging from the nice looking avalon to the more utilitarian looking api, and the flexibility such a group of varying devices offer. Reminds me of what REAPER is all about and the vastness of capabilities it provides.
Youn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:06 AM   #90
Magicbuss

I really like what BILLYBK1 did with this. The original audio tracks are much too dark for my taste. I have serious eye fatigue from working I.T. all day and I need a LIGHT skin.

Just my .02
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:11 AM   #91
Magicbuss

I really like what BILLYBK1 did with this. The original audio tracks are much too dark for my taste. I have serious eye fatigue from working I.T. all day and I need a LIGHT (ala PT)skin.

Just my .02
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:35 AM   #92
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
[i]I...

M-E-G-A-S-N-I-P

....looking....
Last night I had a nightmare that I got stuck in a lift with you...
Old 07-25-2007, 09:44 AM   #93
todd24

Quote:
Last night I had a nightmare that I got stuck in a lift with you...
I couldn't read all the way through Chips post. I don't doubt there are some good points in there but...............If it bothers you so Chip, perhaps you should do one of your own?

It not like you have to use it.
todd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:05 AM   #94
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Chip feel free to pick my theme apart it needs help, and it needs more turquoise. Or even feel free to just fix the whole damn thing

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11009
Old 07-25-2007, 11:44 PM   #95
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd24 View Post
.If it bothers you so Chip, perhaps you should do one of your own?
Actually, I would love to - but I do not have the time to do so.

Quote:
It not like you have to use it.
No, it's not, but that's not the point. If I have a choice that I'm agreeable with, but there are points I'd like changed if possible - why would I not want to try to make it a better choice for myself? I was not out to rag on WT, as I stated; but I'm not going to pretend I don't think certain things, either.

Reaper has been about user-driven development all along, and it's what it has going for it over the other DAWs. I don't see that the GUI should be any different. I am explaining myself cogently I believe, and one can take it or leave it - but it's certainly not going to be taken if it's never presented in the first place.

YMMV
Old 07-26-2007, 12:04 AM   #96
chip mcdonald

I'd also like to point out my post wasn't merely specific to WT. There are what amounts to general FRs in it; I find it curious that suggesting a FR meets with derision. Particularly ironic when I remember campaigning for the GUI to be updated and it seeming to be a sacred cow at the time....

Sorry, but the GUI is just as much on the table to be dissected as any other feature of Reaper, as far I I can tell. But I'll stand by my points regardless. Sorry.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:35 AM   #97
severe

Wow..

I've been M.I.A. for a while, still waiting on the Mac release. However, after poking around a bit, I've decided to log on to tell you that I LOVE this theme.

It's safe to assume the one at post #1 is the latest? The color scheme, faders, buttons... all great. One of the best GUI's I've seen in any audio program.

Anyway, fantastic! Keep it up. I'm looking more forward to putting this to work, each day.
severe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:07 PM   #98
scottdru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
Particularly ironic when I remember campaigning for the GUI to be updated and it seeming to be a sacred cow at the time....
It's still a sacred cow, Chip . . . just a NEW IMPROVED sacred cow.

(j/k)

- Eddie Izzard
scottdru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:12 AM   #99
JHughes

The Cornish Multipack link isn't working. Is it in another thread?

Thanks!
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:19 AM   #100
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Stashbox is down ...it happens; please try again later
Old 08-21-2007, 07:13 PM   #101
djc

I feel stupid about this, but I can't get it to work. What am I doing wrong?

I extract the Cornish.ReaperTheme file to c:\Program Files\REAPER\Color Themes

I create a directory under Color Themes called Cornish_ReaperTheme_ui, and copy all the other files to it.

Is this correct, or am I missing something?

I'm talking about the WT_Cornish_1-2 Zip.

Last edited by djc; 08-21-2007 at 07:27 PM.
djc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:24 PM   #102
djc

It keeps asking me if I want to overwrite files when extracting. And I have noticed in the ZIP you have the same file name two or three times for many of the files. WTF?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:14 AM   #103
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc View Post
I feel stupid about this, but I can't get it to work. What am I doing wrong?

I extract the Cornish.ReaperTheme file to c:\Program Files\REAPER\Color Themes

I create a directory under Color Themes called Cornish_ReaperTheme_ui, and copy all the other files to it.

Is this correct, or am I missing something?
Hey hey.. you're trying far too hard Extract everything to c:\Program Files\REAPER\Color Themes and let your zip program create the folders required.

There are lots of files with the same names because they are alternates to the standard files. Or, if you're using the multipack (which you should; https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/30268/W...k_23_7_07.zip), all the different themes. But you don't need to worry about it, the folder structure is included in the zip.

Try 7zip: www.7-zip.org
Old 08-22-2007, 04:42 AM   #104
djc

Thanks WT. Using 7-Zip worked. I was using Winrar which doesn't extract it the same way. Great work by the way. Your theme is nothing less than stunning. I look forward to seeing more.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:29 AM   #105
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quick question: any views on whether this is a show stopper?

Does this:

(my personal view is yes, that's a bit crap, but its all about compromise...)
Old 09-09-2007, 08:36 AM   #106
Tallisman

Quote:
Quick question: any views on whether this is a show stopper?

Does this:

(my personal view is yes, that's a bit crap, but its all about compromise...)
yup... I think it takes a good looking theme and makes it look amateurish.

I like what aldi has done on this theme: http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11743

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #107
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

yeah ok, perhaps some normal-ness then...?

Old 10-07-2007, 11:20 AM   #108
ed209

Default Please

I know that in times like these when the advanced theming-smoke has settled, and we're all waiting - and trialing - for the second coming, it is almost out of order to lurk here looking for goodies.

But hey! Let's again give WT a standing ovation for the outstanding work we're spoilt with!

-HURRAH!-

And now for something egoistic.
White Tie, could you please give me those graphics making the theme complete?

thank you, and heavymetal in the night
ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:36 AM   #109
VSpaceBoy

Quote:
yeah ok, perhaps some normal-ness then...?

Wow.. to me, that's it. Looks excellent.
VSpaceBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:31 PM   #110
sebas777

Wow, these look simply stunning !
Congratulations: the good taste is priceless.
sebas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:04 AM   #111
yep

Cornish Classic is glorious.

Thanks, WhiteTie.
yep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:28 AM   #112
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Cornish Cream is now updated and on the stash. I've left the sends with the knobs that go wrong if you pan them; please voice your annoyance below and I'll throw up the alternatives.

Link

Old 12-06-2007, 08:58 AM   #113
trock

wow, that is fantastic! having tried a theme or 2 i understand the work and creativity that goes into something like this, and i think you make the nicest themes i have ever seen.

any chance of someday making one with the channels that burnished metal look? the same look as the one when you click on a channel in this theme?
trock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:13 AM   #114
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Glad you like it! To do what you ask, just swap the names of:

mcp_bg.png with mcp_bgsel.png
tcp_bg.png with tcp_bgsel.png
Old 12-06-2007, 12:25 PM   #115
trock

wow, thanks for the tip, i am off to try it now to check it out

you ought to do this for a living
trock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:38 PM   #116
smasha

Quote:
Cornish Cream is now updated and on the stash. I've left the sends with the knobs that go wrong if you pan them; please voice your annoyance below and I'll throw up the alternatives.

Link

I'm just wondering if there is a way of having some sort of tray icon you clicked which revealed all the plugins so you didn't have all that wasted space below the tracks with only one effect.
smasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:40 PM   #117
smasha

Oops .
Forget that idea.
Probably impractical.
smasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:17 PM   #118
Teksonik

This is stunning artwork. I really love the fader knobs. But is is me or do they tilt just a pixel or so to the left?
Teksonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:42 PM   #119
vesigo

This skin is not very usefull Aldi made a nice skins. You should watch it and learn.
vesigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:39 PM   #120
pattonfreak1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesigo View Post
This skin is not very usefull Aldi made a nice skins. You should watch it and learn.
Hey... Pinhead...
Zip it.