Old 07-20-2019, 02:45 PM   #1
Jae.Thomas
Human being with feelings

Default more guitar wiring questions :)

NRR - looking for guitar wiring advice.

Beginner with more complicated guitar wiring, Trying to do the following with a Fender Modern Player Telecaster, pictured here:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/...tric-Guitar.gc

3 pickups, one is a coil-split able GFS humbucker, the other two are single coil - I want to retain the DPDT toggle switch that splits the humbucker coil

I also want to have a neck on mod which, when pulled, it activates the neck at any time.

I also want a mod which puts the mid pickup out of phase so that you can get some interesting combinations.

That would give me the following combos:
Bridge

Bridge (single coil)

Bridge Mid

Bridge (single coil) Mid

Bridge Mid (-)

Bridge (single coil) Mid (-)

Bridge Mid Neck

Bridge (single coil) Neck

Bridge Mid (-) Neck

Bridge (single coil) Mid (-) Neck

Mid

Mid Neck

Mid (-) Neck

Neck

I was NOT able to get this to work. I simply don't understand the signal flow. What is the signal flow, and where do things have to go first? Is this possible? I have attached a picture of what I'm doing here. Right now I don't have the out of phase switch anymore, I reverted back to a volume knob. That being said, the Tone knob is acting weird with this setup. When you pull it out, you get the neck pickup. However, when you start sweeping the tone knob, the neck pickup turns off (if its only being activated by the push pull) and the tone changes (as it should) with whatever pickups are left. Basically, the neck on mod defeats itself when you move the tone knob.
Here are some pictures and a link to all of the files I used along with a link to the awesome software i JUST found to make this.

https://github.com/bancika/diy-layou...s/tag/v3.57.0a

my files:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a0rjg3mpk...adZxlLr-a?dl=0
Attached Files
File Type: pdf before.pdf (27.9 KB, 97 views)
File Type: pdf full.pdf (31.3 KB, 82 views)
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #2
serr

I like puzzles.

OK, you mentioned "I also want to have a neck on mod which, when pulled, it activates the neck at any time."

That leads me to suggest using the 3 position switch to connect the bridge and middle pickups.

That switch output gives you the bridge/middle/both options.
The neck pickup will be on the pull up switch on the front volume pot.

You need the ability to turn off the switch output to let you use the front pickup by itself. Install another pull up switch on the rear tone pot. Up is switch output off. So both knob switches pulled up would be neck pickup only.

The only thing you need is the polarity switch for the middle pickup. Maybe another little toggle switch. Either drill the hole between the rear knob and the switch in the middle. And then move the back pickup tap switch next to the knob and make the middle switch the middle pickup polarity. Or drill the hole on the other side (rear side) of the rear knob if there's more room. Probably the first thing though.

Back pickup to its series/tap switch first. That output to the 3-pos switch.
Middle pickup to its polarity switch first. That output to the 3-pos switch.
3-pos switch output to the on/off switch on the rear tone knob.
Output from rear tone knob son/off witch to the front volume knob.
Front pickup to the front knob switch. That output to the front volume knob.
Tone filter connected to volume knob as normal.
Volume knob to output jack as normal.

Last edited by serr; 07-20-2019 at 03:26 PM.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:23 PM   #3
Jae.Thomas

I fixed the tone knob issue by just wiring right to the output lug
Old 07-20-2019, 07:02 PM   #4
brainwreck

Draw out schematics. It should make things much easier to deal with logically than looking at wiring (or a drawing of). And it doesn't have to be technically correct (symbols and such), as long as you can understand what you're looking at.

By the way, that is some complex wiring for a guitar. I wouldn't want to work on it when something fails. Are you really going to use 13 pickup positions? Or is this more of an experimental thing?
Old 07-20-2019, 07:05 PM   #5
Jae.Thomas

im not really familiar with that, but the thing above does seem to make sense to me... it is chaotic but this is literally my first rodeo
Old 07-20-2019, 07:19 PM   #6
brainwreck

See the symbol for the 5 position switch for example:

http://alloutput.com/guitar/5-way-switches-explained/

Which is easier to understand what is going on? The schematic of the switch or the drawing of the switch? Drawings are for layout (where your parts are physically located in relation to each other). A schematic is for clearly seeing circuits.

Edit: That probably didn't read well originally. But just in case, no foulness was intended.

Last edited by brainwreck; 07-20-2019 at 09:21 PM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote