Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 12-10-2017, 09:34 AM   #121
helgoboss
Human being with feelings

Released ReaLearn 1.1.0

Changes:
#41 Added experimental support for MIDI feedback (supported sources: CC value, note velocity, pitch wheel, channel after touch, program change, polyphonic after touch ... (N)RPN currently not; supported modes: absolute, toggle; supported targets: all, limited support for actions)
#56 Added possibility to enable/disable each mapping (control and feedback can be enabled/disabled separately - this feature makes it possible to correctly handle devices that expect different kinds of MIDI messages for feedback than they send when moving a control)
#68 Added possibility to go to target (e.g. scroll to track, open FX, ...) via 'Go there' button in mapping window
#53 Added target 'Track arm'
#57 Added source 'Polyphonic after touch'
#64 Added possibility to learn action target (so you don't have to choose the action in the long dropdown menu; just invoke the action while having 'Learn target' enabled and it will be selected)
#65 Added target visualisation for on/off actions
#58 Fixed bug that caused control surfaces to not be notified when volume and pan was changed through ReaLearn
#62 Fixed REAPER UI lags when using target value visualisation in mapping dialog
#63 Fixed serious audio and UI lags when having many targets under load
#60 Fixed audio crackling when opening ReaLearn UI
#66 Fixed non-working send volume target learning and visualisation
#59 Fixed some possible crashes (e.g. when loading ReaLearn in inactive project tab, when deleting tracks used in ReaLearn, when removing FX used in ReaLearn)

... yes, you read correctly. MIDI feedback It's still in an experimental state and might slow some things down if you use many feedback mappings at once and have lots of feedback to send, but I used it already live for visual on/off feedback of the pads on Novation Launchpad and Akai APC Key 25 and it worked quite well.
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:51 AM   #122
TonE

Any youtube videos for the feedback? Thanks for all your great tools.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #123
helgoboss

Sorry, I'm mostly too lazy to create videos. I hope it's self-explanatory: Create some mappings as usual, choose a MIDI feedback device and there you go. Of course works only with devices that can be controlled via MIDI (e.g. visual feedback on controllers like the Novation Launchpad, controllers with motorized faders etc.).
Old 12-10-2017, 01:15 PM   #124
foxAsteria

Hey there, probably because I'm using a higher DPI, but window is a bit cut off:
Old 12-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #125
DeBased

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Superb, thanks for continuing to support this @helgoboss.

I don't think I have anything that supports feedback right now, but this will come in super-handy eventually. And the CPU usage reductions might solve some problems I had recently on a live gig, I'll update when I've had time to try it out properly.
DeBased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:28 PM   #126
DynamicK

Looks interesting helgoboss. Is this something like Control Link in Studio One? I map my X-Touch Compact knobs etc, and then I can use Realearn to control my EQs , Comps, reverbs etc?
DynamicK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #127
amagalma

Thank you so much for the update!

Quote:
Released ReaLearn 1.1.0
#64 Added possibility to learn action target (so you don't have to choose the action in the long dropdown menu; just invoke the action while having 'Learn target' enabled and it will be selected)
This doesn't work for custom actions and scripts.. Is it possible to make it work with them too?
If not, then you could do it the SWS Cycle Actions way: "Insert selected action (in the Actions window)"
Old 12-11-2017, 04:36 PM   #128
mindbeet

Brilliant! Thank you so much, this was the only thing missing in Reaper for me to make it the ultimate DAW. Midi feedback, finally, Hurray! :-D

One small thing, if I have a controller mapped to a knob in a VSTi it all works perfectly. However if I change preset the feedback doesn't update until I click the GUI I think there is current state sent here that could be captured to reflect the current positions.

Last edited by mindbeet; 01-26-2018 at 02:19 AM.
mindbeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:14 AM   #129
MCCY

MIDIIIIFEEEEDBACk!!!! YEAH!!!!!! Controlling Synths with Lemur over Android Tablet right now... with value feedback!!! THIS IS AMAZING!!!!
MCCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:55 PM   #130
foxAsteria

Very useful plugin now that I see how it works. Went back to normal DPI just to be able to use this.

One question: Is it possible to use this in a track template without needing a track to be armed? I use sws toolbar arm button to notify me when any tracks are armed, so having a track that always needs to be armed breaks that functionality. It also means the assignments stop working whenever I turn on auto-arm for all tracks.

In the getting started guide, it says "Add a track, arm it for recording (or at least enable input monitoring)" but I can only get it to work with the track armed. Monitoring doesn't seem to affect anything.

Thanks!

Last edited by foxAsteria; 01-29-2018 at 07:04 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:27 PM   #131
Cableaddict

I'm intrigued, but I really don't understand what the advantages are.

I tried to read through this whole thread, but my brain exploded. Nasty mess, all over the floor. Took me all day to clean it up.

So:
-------------------------

Can this map two parameters to one external control?

Can it toggle through a VSTi's presets?

- thx.
Cableaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:55 PM   #132
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
Can this map two parameters to one external control?
Yes
Can it toggle through a VSTi's presets?
You can already with SWS actions

- thx.
Another advantage is being able to learn track parameters like volume and pan for specific tracks. You can even send completely different messages for different ranges of a single control. Also, ReaLearn is itself a plugin, so you can store different mappings as presets.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 01-29-2018 at 11:15 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:46 AM   #133
theFRXST

This plugin should just become native functionality in Reaper
Old 01-30-2018, 06:06 PM   #134
poetnprophet

Hey, this looks awesome....what is it? I have literally read through the whole thread, I read through the website...I still don't understand how one can use it effectively. I have a VS700 console that is currently mapped via Klinke MCU. I also have an Axiom 61 keyboard, I only use as a keyboard but has lots of other functions. i'm relatively new to midi in terms of programming etc. I'm used to just pressing the buttons, haha.

Can anyone please describe what they do with this in terms of workflow and utilization ideas?

sorry for the ignorance!
dave
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:28 PM   #135
okarowarrior

Hi helgo. First, thank you for this amazing piece of plugin!

Is there any way currently to hold a midi switch so it continuous do an action every thick?
I explain:
I have a nanoKontrol2 and i want the rewind button to... rewind. So if i hold it (midi value 127) Realearn should tell reaper to "move cursor 1 pixel left" every thick. And then when i realease it (0 velocity) it stops.

Thanks in advance
okarowarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:15 AM   #136
lalo

Hi! ReaLearn is a truly useful thing! I wonder if it can implement some sort of custom interpolation for received MIDI messages.
best!
a.
lalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:46 AM   #137
grandfougue

Default HELLO

hello I like this application but it is only spit my session reaper. can you help me please
my plugin is on NAITVE proces but allways crash
grandfougue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:41 AM   #138
mindbeet

Default Reflect Preset Changes

If I change presets on a mapped plugin the feedback doesn't update until I re select the feedback device, click the GUI or disable/enable the mapping output. Is there a way to have this update instantly?

Cheers
Peter
mindbeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:07 AM   #139
mschnell

Quote:
For the developers among you: I'm planning to release the source code of ReaLearn later this year.
Great !
I think I one day will want to do a Reaper extension, and this seems to be a great example.
Any plans where and when you will release the source code ?
Thanks,
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:09 AM   #140
dinoc

Default Mappings File?

This plugin is really great
Duplicating mappings and editing them later really helps a lot.
Right now I need to map more than 70 parameters in one synth plugin to sliders in touchosc (android midi controller app) and it gets quite a huge task.
Does ReaLearn have a File for the configured mappings? If so I could do repetitive tasks and slight changes even faster.

Cheers
dinoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:03 PM   #141
X-Raym

Default Crash

Hi Helgoboss,

I found a reproductible crash in v1.1.0

If you have a track send ID as target, but you switch Track to Master (instead of Current) it will crash (as master don't have send track). Switching to master should reset the track send.

Thanks !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:21 AM   #142
Kaitain

Default Sysex

Hello

One quick question: have you plans to add SysEx copatibility?

Take care!

Alvaro
Kaitain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:31 AM   #143
ChristopherT

This is amazing work helgoboss.
Donated.
Thank you for the continual development
ChristopherT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:29 AM   #144
amundsen

This is a very nice plug-in.

However there is a small issue: I am trying to trigger an action but the dropdown menu contains so many actions (more than 55000) that it seems impossible to find the one I am looking for.

So may I suggest to include a small filter such as the one from the Actions List window?
amundsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:32 AM   #145
amundsen

OK, I solved the issue using the learn function, Great!
amundsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:21 PM   #146
DynamicK

Can anyone confirm this setup?
In order to control the parameters of say Softube Tape and Drawmer S73 on a track, would I need to have an instance of ReaLearn for each of them ( 2 ReaLearn plugins) ?
DynamicK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:04 PM   #147
LowlyOP

Quote:
Hey, I've taught myself some pretty neat tricks using this VST to get LED feedback (mostly) mappable. It's very useful as is, and has potential (I think) to open up an already highly-customizable DAW as Reaper.

Which leads me to ask - and I do understand you are likely most focused on Playtime, but - what is the current status and/or future dev for ReaLearn? Can we expect any updates in the relative short-term (few months maybe)?

Great work helgoboss, and thank you
LowlyOP
LowlyOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:07 AM   #148
cjewellstudios

This is pretty great!

I was surprised however that in one respect I have less options than the native Reaper midi learn. That is to have the target be a plugin parameter on a selected track and not have to have focus.

(Correct me if I'm wrong please)

How I have things set up natively is each track has a custom channel strip of a few plugins. I select the track and use the LB FX Positioner to pop them all up neatly on my screen and then they are all mapped to my midi twister. They do not have to have focus since I can just have it work when the track is selected.

If this can happen with ReaLearn I would definitely dig into it more because there are some really cool features. I.e. the flexibility and midi feedback
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:38 PM   #149
LowlyOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjewellstudios View Post
This is pretty great!

I was surprised however that in one respect I have less options than the native Reaper midi learn. That is to have the target be a plugin parameter on a selected track and not have to have focus.

(Correct me if I'm wrong please)
I'm not inside Reaper atm but iirc you can control your plugins the same way Reaper allows (without focus). I'll try this later on and post back. Fwiw my use is mostly in controlling hardware feedback, with input disabled. But the time's I used it for both i/o, I don't recall target vst's needing focus.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:29 PM   #150
cjewellstudios

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowlyOP View Post
I'm not inside Reaper atm but iirc you can control your plugins the same way Reaper allows (without focus). I'll try this later on and post back. Fwiw my use is mostly in controlling hardware feedback, with input disabled. But the time's I used it for both i/o, I don't recall target vst's needing focus.
I haven't reatried this (see what I did there? haha) but I do believe you are right. You don't have to have focus. The problem I have though is I don't think you can have it target the selected track. So if you have multiple instances of a plugin across multiple tracks (like me, using the same few plugins on most tracks to mix) then you kind of have to have focus with realearn. As far as I understand it anyways. Thanks for your reply. Hopefully you can point out something obvious I missed!
Old 05-16-2018, 11:27 AM   #151
Audbol

I might be missing something but how do I get ReaLearn to target the selected track and not just select specific tracks
Audbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #152
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audbol View Post
I might be missing something but how do I get ReaLearn to target the selected track and not just select specific tracks
Use the built in Learn system for that. There are many actions to target selected track. Targeting specific tracks is something Reaper can't do natively (except by track number, which is subject to change), which is one reason this new system is a useful addition.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #153
cjewellstudios

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Use the built in Learn system for that. There are many actions to target selected track. Targeting specific tracks is something Reaper can't do natively (except by track number, which is subject to change), which is one reason this new system is a useful addition.
I agree. However the experimental midi feedback is absolutely incredible on my midi twister! So the "workaround" at this point is to put realearn as the first fx slot on every track in my template.

This works unbelievably well but there have been crashes that I haven't been able to pin down enough to say anything. I assume it would crash alot less if there were just one instance of realearn that housed all the mappings. Or even just a couple that i could activate/deactivate.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:50 PM   #154
foxAsteria

Quote:
So the "workaround" at this point is to put realearn as the first fx slot on every track in my template.
I didn't know about the MIDI feedback feature, but I guess I'm already using OSC for that. As far as your workaround, are you sure you need more than one relearn plugin in a project? I only need to put one on a hidden track in my default template, but my use-case is limited to adjusting volume of tracks by name. It doesn't seem to care what track it's actually sitting on.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #155
LowlyOP

Quote:
I agree. However the experimental midi feedback is absolutely incredible on my midi twister! So the "workaround" at this point is to put realearn as the first fx slot on every track in my template.

This works unbelievably well but there have been crashes that I haven't been able to pin down enough to say anything. I assume it would crash a lot less if there were just one instance of realearn that housed all the mappings. Or even just a couple that i could activate/deactivate.
I get a lot of crashes with just one FX instance. It's frustrating because it can take quite a bit of time mapping things and you have to remember to backup project as well as presets constantly.

Do you insert into input FX or normal?

I *think* I've gotten the majority of crashes happening when I have it as an input FX but I can't say for sure yet.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:49 AM   #156
helgoboss

Released ReaLearn 1.5.0

This is a rather big release with many new features, improvements and fixes. Therefore I decided to skip some versions and go straight to 1.5.0. I hope the new features will be useful for you as well. If you experience bugs, especially crashes, please let me know.

Changes:
#67 Added possibility to export and import all ReaLearn settings to and from clipboard (e.g. useful for exchanging presets and doing batch modifications of ReaLearn settings via text editor)
#16 Added support for transforming incoming (control) and outgoing (feedback) values in absolute mode via mathematical functions (EEL is used, the same language which REAPER uses for JS effects - that let's you do all kind of interesting things, is more usable than putting a JS MIDI effect in front of ReaLearn and it gives you the complete target parameter precision because you deal with 64-bit floating point numbers instead of the usual 7-bit MIDI message precision; x is the incoming control value, y is the target value, both are numbers between 0 and 1; for example a control transformation 'y = 1 - x' creates a reverse effect)
#101 Added master tempo target (it was possible before to change REAPER tempo by using an action target but you didn't get feedback and BPM rounding)
#73 Added track selection target (you can also select a track exclusively)
#54 Added mute and solo track targets
#86 Added track send pan target
#100 Added 'MIDI clock transport' source (for receiving play/continue/stop messages directly from MIDI hardware inputs; they can be mapped to transport actions in REAPER in order to make REAPER a MIDI clock slave regarding transport control)
#100 Added very experimental 'MIDI clock tempo' source (if you map this to the new 'Master tempo' target, you can turn REAPER into a MIDI clock slave regarding project tempo; but don't expect too much, the resulting tempo is currently unstable; IMHO a much better method if you want REAPER tempo to reflect the tempo of e.g. Ableton Live, is to create a ReaLearn mapping with a 'CC value' source and a 'Master tempo' target with target min = 73 bpm and max = 200 bpm and to let Ableton Live send tempo feedback using the same CC and tempo range ... this combined with native REAPER SPP sync and you have instant tempo and song position changes; whereas MIDI clock tempo sync has an inherent delay due to its nature)
#77 Added track target option 'Track must be selected'
#26 Added absolute mode option 'Slowly approach if jump too big (scale mode)' (of course only has an effect if max jump is small enough)
#102 Added absolute mode option 'Min jump' to also let users specify a minimum parameter jump, not only a maximum one
#101 Added absolute mode option 'Round target value' for supported targets (currently only 'Master tempo', in order to round to integer BPM values)
#92 Added button to send MIDI feedback manually
#80 Added zip file downloads to website to be used for portable REAPER installations
#91 Added feedback option 'Send only if track armed' (enabled by default for new presets because it makes sense; if ReaLearn is on the input FX chain, feedback is never sent if the track is disarmed)
#97 Added source and target filtering to mapping list window in order to let users find existing mappings easier (e.g. to quickly check if a particular mapping is already there)
#72 Added buttons for moving mapping up or down
#106 Added 'Find in mapping list' button to edit mapping window
#107 Added checkboxes for enabling/disabling control/feedback also to edit mapping window
#88 Added mapping numbers for being able to better identify mappings (especially after duplicating a mapping)
#83 Improved Windows installer by making it more predictable and easier to use (user doesn't have to choose the VST directory anymore, ReaLearn will always be installed into a fixed dedicated VST directory, REAPER VST scanning path will be modified if necessary so the ReaLearn VstPlugins directory is the last one ... last one has highest priority, so old installed versions are just ignored)
#61 Improved usability by closing mapping dialog when pressing escape key
#84 Improved mapping list window performance if there are many mappings
#78 Improved preset reusability by discovering tracks by name if they are not found by their unique GUID (that way one and the same ReaLearn preset can be used in different projects as long as those projects have tracks with the same names)
#89 Improved scrolling behavior
#105 Improved usability by not closing mapping edit windows when closing ReaLearn mappings window (not needing to leave the mappings window open saves screen space)
#90 Improved usability by marking REAPER project as dirty when changing something within ReaLearn
#104 Improved usability by making it possible to enter step counts and step sizes of discrete target parameters directly instead of having to enter percentages (also removed the decrease/increase buttons because they are not really useful anymore after this change)
#103 Improved usability by making it possible to enter target values directly instead of having to enter percentages (only for supported targets, FX parameters for example don't support this)
#96 Improved control behavior by ignoring NOTE OFF messages sent by REAPER when pressing play (those messages make absolute sense for stopping VST instruments from sounding but they accidentally reset target parameters when using ReaLearn)
#82 Fixed buggy installer on Mac OS X
#81 Fixed problem that caused ReaLearn not to work in 32-bit REAPER installations on Mac OS X
#70 Fixed possible crash when learning target
#50 Fixed cropped window when using scaling on Windows (e.g. on HiDPI screens)
#76 Fixed bug in 'Auto-detect mode' that caused a wrong mode to be restored when loading a project or preset
#93 Fixed bug that could cause feedback MIDI messages to pile up while track disarmed or audio device off
#94 Fixed potentially incorrect feedback message for first target change after loading ReaLearn
#95 Fixed 'FX must have focus' not being respected for feedback
#98 Fixed crash after deleting track send used in track send target and opening ReaLearn window again
#99 Fixed weird scrollbar on OS X
Old 06-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #157
teniente powell

Thanks, helgoboss. It's a very amazing work.
teniente powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:20 AM   #158
Arthur McArthur

Hi helgoboss, trying out this great looking update and found that the target parameters don't get saved in my track templates or in presets (though the sources do). I also got a couple crashes around switching project tabs but can't reproduce (here's a gif if it helps https://imgur.com/a/DdW1n69)
Arthur McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:19 AM   #159
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McArthur View Post
Hi helgoboss, trying out this great looking update and found that the target parameters don't get saved in my track templates or in presets (though the sources do). I also got a couple crashes around switching project tabs but can't reproduce (here's a gif if it helps https://imgur.com/a/DdW1n69)
Thanks for reporting this. Can't reproduce it so far. Could you please send me a few things (to info@helgoboss.org):

1. REAPER.ini file
2. A REAPER project file(s) where this happens
3. The result of pressing "Export to clipboard" pasted into a text file (I want to check if it really doesn't save the target parameters or just restores them incorrectly)

And some questions:
1. Does this happen with all kinds of targets or just FX parameter targets?
2. Is the second project tab empty? If not, please send me an RPP file of the second project tab as well.

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2018, 04:27 AM   #160
helgoboss

Released ReaLearn 1.5.1

This is a pure bugfix release. Anyone who uses 1.5.0, please update because 1.5.0 suffers from the critical bug #109. Thanks to Arthur for reporting and helping with bug #112!

Changes:
#109 Fixed showstopper crash related to orphan mappings
#108 Fixed potential crash when closing project or exiting REAPER
#112 Fixed crash and issues with current track functionality in some situations (e.g. when instantiating track templates containing both ReaLearn and Kontakt in a second project tab)
#111 Fixed 'Learn source for last touched target' action so it supports the recent new target types
#110 Fixed mute and solo targets so value changes also inform other control surfaces

Cheers
Ben