Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-22-2018, 09:58 AM   #1
strachupl
Human being with feelings

Default Will Reaper ever stops being ugly?

OS like win7, win XP are still popular. I am using win7 still.
Reaper have many unthemable elements, thats ok.

Still the biggest pain are those OS dependent elements.
I seen those nice backgrounds, buttons, menus on OSX or Win10 etc. and it looks good.

These things in win7 are pain in eyes and distract a lot. I always have feeling that its not consolidated and lot of weird looking elements.
The worst are:
-window tab
-menu tab
-buttons in most windows

-font colors

Is there any hope that would be ever changed?
If no is there a reason for this?

strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:08 AM   #2
vitalker

This thing is Windows-related only. Mac users are in better situation. It would be cool to have system-independent interface.
How it looks on Windows 10.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:18 AM   #3
strachupl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
This thing is Windows-related only. Mac users are in better situation. It would be cool to have system-independent interface.
How it looks on Windows 10.

For me it is really important issue with Reaper as this program is themable.
Many conceptions are not possible but the worst thing is that most dark style themes looks even more ugly. These borders are just hurting my eyes.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:23 AM   #4
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by strachupl View Post
Many conceptions are not possible but the worst thing is that most dark style themes looks even more ugly. These borders are just hurting my eyes.
That's why WALTER should be improved or replaced by more flexible/progressive system.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #5
EvilDragon

"Replaced" won't happen, as that'd break stuff. Improved and updated and more areas being available to it, yes, that should definitely happen some day...
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:29 AM   #6
strachupl

Maybe Reaper 6 will brings something new, something good
Old 05-22-2018, 10:48 AM   #7
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by strachupl View Post
Maybe Reaper 6 will brings something new, something good
It would be extremely awesome! I hope so.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #8
Softsynth

Quote:
It would be extremely awesome! I hope so.

Yes, that would certainly be most welcome. It would top my list for Reaper 6 - okay I don't really have a list apart from this - and I don't really care too much about it either!

Last edited by Softsynth; 05-22-2018 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Meh!
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:16 PM   #9
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quoting myself from January last year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Consider the UI elements that are drawn by the OS. You don't like them, and neither do I. Down with them, down I say...

...but wait; drawing and handling them is work that Reaper gets to hand off to the OS, which will do a solid and well tested job of dealing with, across all platforms, a myriad of input considerations, screen readers, HiDPI factors blah blah etc etc. That sounds like something that a lightweight, minimally programmed piece of software would do, right? A project that differentiates itself from its competitors in ways that include stability, low resource demand and absence of bloat would seem unlikely to devote effort to developing and maintaining code that achieves, if it manages to be absolutely 100% successful, prima fascie functional parity with what it already has. Again, I still think its worth it, from my perspective, you may too. But its not our call.
I know this isn't what you want to hear, sorry. But hey, who knows, maybe one day.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:06 PM   #10
azslow3

After 30 years programming, 20 years primary in "no standard GUI" land of X, I still wonder why some people care about how programs (except games) look like
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:08 PM   #11
airon

Who knows what’ll happen for Reaper 6. There’s always some kind of improvement for each major version.

I’ve bitched and moaned about apsects of the GUI for years. I offered possible solutions, while having no idea how they could even work. GUI programming is just not my field, so I stopped doing feature requests in that field.

On the other side of the fence the LUA scripting community HAS made significant progress. Maybe that’ll spark some advances in Reaper itself.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:17 PM   #12
TC7

Let's remember the immortal words of the great Jimmy Soul:

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

A pretty woman makes her husband look small
And very often causes his downfall
As soon as he marries her then she starts
To do the things that will break his heart

But if you make an ugly woman your wife
You'll be happy for the rest of your life
An ugly woman cooks meals on time
She'll always give you peace of mind

Don't let your friends say you have no taste
Go ahead and marry anyway
Though her face is ugly, her eyes don't match
Take it from me, she's a better catch

Say man!
Hey baby!
I saw your wife the other day!
Yeah?
Yeah, an' she's ugly!
Yeah, she's ugly, but she sure can cook, baby!
Yeah, alright!

TC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:41 PM   #13
Vagalume

There are always changes and I guess there will be changes in the future but I believe that Reaper will continue being [use the adjective that you prefer] ... because the owner(s) of this software are not primarily interested in aesthetic AT ALL. Besides I have the impression that many users of Reaper want it [use the adjective that you prefer].

My cousin is married to one of the ugliest girl I have ever met ... but he says that she is gorgeus ... in fact, I would pay not to ever kiss her ... a nightmare ...

So, don't complain so much about this ... it is a waste of time ... Reaper will continue being [use the adjective that you prefer].

Last edited by Vagalume; 05-22-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:52 PM   #14
davetbass

I hope Reaper, Youtube and Craigslist never change their appearance.
davetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:03 PM   #15
strachupl

Thanks WhiteTie.

I still hope for some tiny steps in that matter. Maybe one day...
Old 05-23-2018, 04:48 AM   #16
todd_r

Quote:
Consider the UI elements that are drawn by the OS. You don't like them, and neither do I. Down with them, down I say...

...but wait; drawing and handling them is work that Reaper gets to hand off to the OS, which will do a solid and well tested job of dealing with, across all platforms, a myriad of input considerations, screen readers, HiDPI factors blah blah etc etc. That sounds like something that a lightweight, minimally programmed piece of software would do, right? A project that differentiates itself from its competitors in ways that include stability, low resource demand and absence of bloat would seem unlikely to devote effort to developing and maintaining code that achieves, if it manages to be absolutely 100% successful, prima fascie functional parity with what it already has. Again, I still think its worth it, from my perspective, you may too. But its not our call.
What if these elements were handled with something like Juice? Cross platform, maintained by other people so minimal extra work and designed for audio software so should be lightweight?
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:54 AM   #17
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_r View Post
What if these elements were handled with something like Juice? Cross platform, maintained by other people so minimal extra work and designed for audio software so should be lightweight?
Cockos has stated they will never start using something like JUCE. Also, JUCE does not cover certain things like accessibility and printing so getting those to work would require additional effort.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:57 AM   #18
todd_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
...I still wonder why some people care about how programs (except games) look like
It makes a difference how you feel when being creative, and visuals are a big part of that when using software.

You could record in a plain white room with fluorescent lighting, or somewhere with muted colours, art and warm lighting. Functionally exactly the same, but you'd feel more comfortable/creative in one.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:58 AM   #19
todd_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
...Also, JUCE does not cover certain things like accessibility...
Ah, I'm surprised by that
Old 05-23-2018, 05:03 AM   #20
sickamorz
Banned

Why is it a problem to have a great looking and great working DAW, there are ones that look good but are crap. Why not be great in both areas.
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:07 AM   #21
EvilDragon

WT is right. If every damn part gets skinned it will be a greater burden on CPU. Reaper just puts priority on audio processing rather than looks. That's the choice of devs, and that should be understood.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:16 AM   #22
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
I still wonder why some people care about how programs (except games) look like
Men are visual.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:53 AM   #23
azslow3

Quote:
Ah, I'm surprised by that
There are 3 accessible DAWs: Sonar 8 (newer are not really accessible), Samplidute and Reaper.

Making JUCE interfaces accessible is close to impossible task. You can find a demonstration of my attempt to do this for Addictive Drums on Youtube (recorded by a friend), but there is a horror behind the scene (I still have not finished that).

Quote:
It makes a difference how you feel when being creative, and visuals are a big part of that when using software.

You could record in a plain white room with fluorescent lighting, or somewhere with muted colours, art and warm lighting. Functionally exactly the same, but you'd feel more comfortable/creative in one.
Since my "creativity" is in programming and I had to change IDEs/editors, visual components (nor shortcuts/helpers/ezc.) no longer disturbing me on the way. I agree that can be hard to accept, especially the first time... For music, from the position of my instruments I simply can not see the monitor
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:02 AM   #24
mawi

I don't think REAPER will ever look hip and be fun to use. It's software for nerds.
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:05 AM   #25
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetbass View Post
I hope Reaper, Youtube and Craigslist never change their appearance.
reddit changed their look and i hate it

i feel like every phone application changes their shit all the time and i absolutely hate it

if craigslist changed their look my eye would never stop twitching.

White Tie's quote bears repeating over and over and over. consider the media browser -- cockos made a media editor and it's nice, but lacks key functionality provided by a normal windows explorer file browser window: copy, delete, move, etc. we could FR, but it's best to spend our FR currency elsewhere.

i would rather have a working truck that looks like it was built in the 90s than a modern sportscar that only runs in reverse and a broken sunroof
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:45 AM   #26
ivansc

its really only "software for nerds" if you choose to use it that way.

As a user of elderly MIDI sequencers back in the very early days, I have zero issues wuith the LOOK of reapers GUI, although there are some aspects of its functionality I would like to see change.

But by all means, all you visually-obsessed geeks carry on whining... once we get a technicolor three_D cartoon look ala Fruity Loops, I will be the one whining & you can have your revenge on me!
Old 05-23-2018, 09:31 AM   #27
strachupl

How about a single WALTER lane to allow custom advance theming and unlock some png images for buttons etc.?

And second lane to totally make reaper looks like windows explorer for tons of RAM and CPU avaiable for those radical nerds
Old 05-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #28
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
WT is right. If every damn part gets skinned it will be a greater burden on CPU. Reaper just puts priority on audio processing rather than looks. That's the choice of devs, and that should be understood.

What percentage though?
0.005%? why should non animated 2d graphics make a noticeable hit on CPU at all? I would be quite happy if those elements just looked as good as they do on a Mac now, but it's no biggie.
I would rather have the available CPU cycles if it is more than say a typical 1-3% CPU hit, for some strange reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
i would rather have a working truck that looks like it was built in the 90s than a modern sportscar that only runs in reverse and a broken sunroof
Completely agree.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:08 AM   #29
Quasar

Quote:
Quoting myself from January last year...

I know this isn't what you want to hear, sorry. But hey, who knows, maybe one day.
This is 100% my take on it. But then again, absolutely nothing about Reaper's appearance bothers me in the slightest. My own little tweaked default theme looks and works perfectly.

Better FX bin organizational options and native bezier-like CC handling in the ME or the only things I have on any Reaper wish list.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:15 AM   #30
lowellben

Quote:
It would be cool to have system-independent interface.

Literally on nobody's to do list. Theme editing is a bandaid at best. It's just a fact. But we can dream.

It's the only thing holding Reaper back. The plain jane dated look just isn't working in 2018. It needs serious attention. Like notation editor focus. They did it with notation view next up is the GUI.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:17 AM   #31
mccrabney

oh, please. it works fine.
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:18 AM   #32
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
I would be quite happy if those elements just looked as good as they do on a Mac now, but it's no biggie.
just wanna say that for anyone with a mac bought after 2015, the entire program looks pretty bad and blurry, not just the theme but everything.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:22 AM   #33
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
just wanna say that for anyone with a mac bought after 2015, the entire program looks pretty bad and blurry, not just the theme but everything.
Correct. Same on Windows. I'm tired of people blaming MS for font rendering issues. Literally every other program I've ever used can handle this. There is no real excuse other than unwilling to accept facts.

Fonts are blurry, jagged, and the window management scheme is hilariously dated. That being said, there is no daw on the market today as powerful as reaper and extensible. It's just a pity that the GUI and theme "polish" is so lacking. It's just bad. Here's hoping version 6 actually repaints the whole GUI. Not even counting vector, just anything is better than current.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:22 AM   #34
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
oh, please. it works fine.
works? of course.
polished? no way.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:38 AM   #35
woogish

Japanese proverb:

"Man is born screaming (bitching), and, when having screamed (bitched) enough, dies."
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:39 AM   #36
lowellben

There will always be those who argue against facts. I hope that Justin and company take some time in the future and really look at Reaper. Take a good look at what it is, and what it could be.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #37
EvilDragon

Justin just uses the default theme anyways. Cockos is all about function over form. I don't see that changing.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #38
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Justin just uses the default theme anyways. Cockos is all about function over form. I don't see that changing.
I agree on all points.
As an analogy, Justin is a millionaire who should be a billionaire.
In that, Reaper is insanely powerful and popular now. But imagine what it could do to the scene if it looked polished, fresh, and actually modern on top of it's function now? It's a valid point in my opinion. No disrespect.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:08 PM   #39
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
I agree on all points.
As an analogy, Justin is a millionaire who should be a billionaire.
In that, Reaper is insanely powerful and popular now. But imagine what it could do to the scene if it looked polished, fresh, and actually modern on top of it's function now? It's a valid point in my opinion. No disrespect.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I don't believe that much extra wealth brings you additional happiness, just power.

Plenty of turds regularly get an unwarranted polish, it might be nice if this little gem received one too!
Old 05-23-2018, 12:13 PM   #40
Pashkuli
Banned

Reaper is fine.
The "problem" is its vastly open customisability.
Colour Themes, WALTER scripts, Actions, Layouts, etc. and all the interaction between those elements which make it almost a lifetime effort to support as a whole and one working unit with many options. Oh, Reaper has a ton of options anyway.

As I usually say, Reaper's best weapon is its worst enemy - the customisation.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote