Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-24-2018, 02:05 PM   #41
Rob94hawk
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Yay!

It was a late edit, sorry bout that.
Tell me about it! Much appreciated!

Ok Reaper isn't set up correctly so when I hit record the recording screen flies by fast! That and I can't find Loop feature down at the bottom.

So with the way I have everything configured should I be able to use the keyboard as a midi controller?

Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfvCuXOyry8
Rob94hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:19 PM   #42
mschnell

Obviously.

But Reaper with the help of VST instruments can do a lot more

I use such a setup without synth hardware (sound generation on a dedicated "embedded" PC built in a trunk) for live playing with my Band, in my little studio and on stage .

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:21 PM   #43
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob94hawk View Post
Tell me about it! Much appreciated!

Ok Reaper isn't set up correctly so when I hit record the recording screen flies by fast! That and I can't find Loop feature down at the bottom.
This little guy, below but your test with the virtual MIDI keyboard may have already been sufficient to prove outgoing to proteus is working.

Quote:
So with the way I have everything configured should I be able to use the keyboard as a midi controller?

Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfvCuXOyry8
I think so, we just need to now get the incoming MIDI from the YPG to that track to also route right back out to the hardware so you can play it live and hear the result on the proteus. I could potentially test when I get home in a couple of hours but I think that's the next thing to take care of.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:48 PM   #44
Rob94hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
I still have my Proteus. (It's leveling my turntable : )

When you say:

"YPG-235 --> USB-MIDI IN --> Computer --> USB-MIDI OUT --> Proteus"

it should work, but what is the USB-MIDI out? Is it a Midi port on the PC? There doesn't seem to be a separate midi interface involved so that's what it seems, but correct me if I missed something.

When the Proteus gets midi messages, as in the keys being played, the midi light in the front will light up. If it's not flickering when the keyboard is played then it's not getting midi info. If it *is* flickering with the keys being played then it's getting the info.

Check that midi channel 1 on the Proteus is turned on while you're using it. Hit the Master button and school with the data button until you get to "Midi Enable" and make sure channel 1 is set to on.

The Yamaha would need to be transmitting either on Ch 1 or on all channels, if that's an option. Sometimes if you're going through software it doesn't matter because that can be reassigned there, but make it this way anyway.

There's also the thing about, if you're in Reaper, choosing the midi controller in its preferences and also what's getting midi, but without knowing exactly how it's routed it's hard to say if that enters into it with whatever you have as a midi out to the Proteus.

Pic?
When I use the virtual keyboard in Reaper I hear sounds coming from the Proteus using the headphones & the midi light is flashing when I hit the key on the virtual keyboard. So we are all connected correctly. (It's playing a flute sound. Don't know why.)

2 questions:

1. How do I get the sounds out of the Proteus?
2. How do I use the Yamaha as a midi controller to play those sounds?

So basically there is no link between the Yamaha & the Proteus.

Last edited by Rob94hawk; 09-29-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:18 PM   #45
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob94hawk View Post
When I use the virtual keyboard in Reaper I hear sounds coming from the Proteus using the headphones & the midi light is flashing when I hit the key on the virtual keyboard. So we are all connected correctly. (It's playing a flute sound. Don't know why.)

2 questions:

1. How do I get the sounds out of the Proteus?
2. How do I use the Yamaha as a midi controller to play those sounds?
The Proteus is an analog only box, so you'd need to take the main outputs into wherever you want it to go. Into an amp to heart it in the room or into the line inputs of an interface or your PC to get it into the computer. Check Reaper's Preferences/Audio/Device/Audio Device and make sure you are set for whatever you are using as the audio device (computer hardware or other). To get it into Reaper you'd only need to create a track and assign it those line inputs. Then you can record the sounds or just monitor them via Reaper.

When the Yamaha has its USB port plugged in to the computer, go to Preferences/Audio/midi device and it should appear there. You should be able to assign it as your midi controller.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:32 PM   #46
Rob94hawk

Quote:
The Proteus is an analog only box, so you'd need to take the main outputs into wherever you want it to go. Into an amp to heart it in the room or into the line inputs of an interface or your PC to get it into the computer. Check Reaper's Preferences/Audio/Device/Audio Device and make sure you are set for whatever you are using as the audio device (computer hardware or other). To get it into Reaper you'd only need to create a track and assign it those line inputs. Then you can record the sounds or just monitor them via Reaper.

When the Yamaha has its USB port plugged in to the computer, go to Preferences/Audio/midi device and it should appear there. You should be able to assign it as your midi controller.
Do the input/output ID's need to be the same?
Old 09-29-2018, 06:19 PM   #47
Rob94hawk

I appreciate everyone's input with helping me with this but I think I'm going to have to find someone to do this. This is way beyond my comprehension level.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:59 AM   #48
Rob94hawk

Eureka! Finally figured it out! After viewing the Virtual Keyboard tutorial I had to use the FX plugin!

https://youtu.be/--awCCl5gE4
Old 10-20-2018, 07:12 PM   #49
Rob94hawk

Quote:

I had everything right the whole time! One little plugin was all I was missing!