Old 10-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #1
Tobias
Human being with feelings

Default Where are MIDI tracks saved?

When I save my reaper projects I follow Kenny Gioia's method on his training vidoe to keep everything organized. I can navigate to and see those files. I see BAK files, wav files, peak files, etc. But, I do not see my midi track files. Reaper pulls them in just fine when I re open an existing project. But, I am getting ready to do a major harddrive clean up and move things to different folders. I don't want to proceed with that until I know for sure that my midi tracks will not dissappear on me.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:40 PM   #2
Fabian

Unless explicitly saved as distinct files, MIDI items are saved as part of the project file. You can load an *.rpp file into a text editor, and look for your MIDI items.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:47 PM   #3
Tobias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Unless explicitly saved as distinct files, MIDI items are saved as part of the project file. You can load an *.rpp file into a text editor, and look for your MIDI items.
Thanks. This answers my question. Now I can feel more confident about organizing my files.
BTW, can anyone direct me to a thread or posts about cleaning up Reaper files to reduce storage consumption (increase hard drive space)? I was way too sloppy with my first 40 or so Reaper projects. I was going to create folders for each project, render each individual track to wav and save them in the folders. Then delete all the working files. Then import all the wav files I saved and make new projects. But, doing this with each and every song does not sound practical. Plus, I will most likely rework these songs in the future so I'd like to keep them in a state close to what they are but without all the excess files.
I just know there has to be a better way and it's most likely been cover here somewhere.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:21 PM   #4
nicholas
Scribe

Hi Tobias -

First, just to add to what Fabian has already explained, you can do File, Export Project MIDI if you want to create separate MIDI files. There are many options, eg all tracks, selected track only, merge to a single track, separate tracks for each channel, etc.

Next, one way to organise your "sloppy" (!) projects would be to open each one at a time then File, Save Project As back to itself (don't change file name), selecting options to Create subdirectory and Move all media.

Shouldn't take too long, but someone might have a script or something to make it easier.

There is a File, Clean project directory command which will clean out any files not in use.

PS But first back your big mega directory somewhere, just in case ...

Last edited by nicholas; 10-19-2018 at 10:28 PM.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote