Old 03-28-2018, 08:18 AM   #1
Reason
Human being with feelings

Default Attaching mic to combo amp / cabinet?

Planning on attaching a "table mount" mic base (https://www.amazon.com/CAMVATE-Micro.../dp/B01BOES0AC) to my combo, plus a gooseneck for easy, consistent micing. Occurred to me yesterday that vibration from the speaker/cabinet might travel up the gooseneck and cause audio interference.

Anyone have any experience with this? There are similar, purpose-built products on the market, and I didn't see any complaints about this in the reviews, but I figured I'd ask anyway.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:23 AM   #2
karbomusic

Basically the vibration aspect would be my concern - that's why I have but never really use them that way, but if it sounds good you have a new secret recipe.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:50 AM   #3
Winfield

If vibration is an issue you could use a shockmount on the gooseneck - thats what I do (I havde the gooseneck on a clamp to fix on the cab).

-W
Winfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:27 AM   #4
Lokasenna

A shockmount is the ideal solution.

I had the same issue a while back, recording voiceover for a video with a mic clamped to my desk - my laptop's fan is pretty noisy, and it came right up the gooseneck. Wrapping a couple of socks around the mic killed most of the noise, so you could try that, but since we're talking about a guitar amp I suspect it wouldn't help much.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:47 AM   #5
ivansc

Any reason why you dont want to use a floor standing mini boom stand? Best solution out there as far as I am concerned, also ideal for Kick drum mic placement.

http://www.inta-audio.com/racks-stan...saAiGCEALw_wcB

Cheap, too.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:26 AM   #6
Reason

thanks for the input, all.

I had already purchased the stuff on Amazon when the vibration question occurred to me, so I went ahead and made the mods to the amp. Figured why not - I'll just move forward with the plan and iterate until it either works or I've exhausted all possibilities / destroyed my equipment beyond all repair.

Just had to cut out a small section of grill with a hole saw, and then I mounted the gooseneck. The screw-on mount linked above has a 1/4-20 thread, and I had inserts and screws in that size for unrelated projects. I put an insert in a block of wood inside the amp, put the screw through that with the head inside the amp, and then put that through the face of the baffle. Then I screwed the mic mount onto that, as well as putting the 4 wood screws that came with the mount into the baffle. The idea here was that bending the gooseneck seemed likely to put enough force on the MDF baffle that it could quickly enlarge/damage the mounting holes, so adding the metal insert to a piece of wood behind the baffle should, hopefully, transfer those stresses to that piece of wood. If I have time I'll post some pics later.

I only have a cheap AT "DR 1000" mic from the 90s and picks up too much noise to be much use, so a 57/58 is in my future. Very preliminary and non-scientific testing indicates that speaker feedback is a bigger problem than transmitted vibrations, so headphones will be a must, but hard to say much more than that at the moment.

Space and convenience are the main reasons for doing it this way.

The amp is currently on a small metal shelving unit, so the speaker is at approximately ear level when sitting at my desk. Space is limited, and my multi-effects that I use as a DI is stored on the floor below the bottom shelf of this unit and is pulled out for use. So a floor stand would get in the way of that.

The desk is close enough that a short table stand might work, but that would likely interfere with where the mouse/mousepad is. A clamp mount might work, but I already have 4 clamp mount arms (two monitors, two speakers) on the desk. And a 61-key keyboard.

I also am a big fan of set it and forget it. I don't want to spend time unpacking stuff and setting it up, and the gooseneck idea seemed like it would be ideal for that, as I could leave it in the same position and therefore not have to deal with readjusting the mic during different recording sessions.

I'll see how it works. Absolute worst case scenario, it was a waste of about $20 and a couple hours and I have to go back to direct with ampsims.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:39 AM   #7
Bri1
Banned

Allo- a single thread of silk would work wonders-- simple wooden block with a shafted rod-mic hangs from thread=minimal vibrations. rotations come free.
Who does it this way? maybe you- be doo:be doo a shoo wup da oohhh...
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:42 AM   #8
Bazzbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
thanks for the input, all.

I had already purchased the stuff on Amazon when the vibration question occurred to me, so I went ahead and made the mods to the amp. Figured why not - I'll just move forward with the plan and iterate until it either works or I've exhausted all possibilities / destroyed my equipment beyond all repair.

Just had to cut out a small section of grill with a hole saw, and then I mounted the gooseneck. The screw-on mount linked above has a 1/4-20 thread, and I had inserts and screws in that size for unrelated projects. I put an insert in a block of wood inside the amp, put the screw through that with the head inside the amp, and then put that through the face of the baffle. Then I screwed the mic mount onto that, as well as putting the 4 wood screws that came with the mount into the baffle. The idea here was that bending the gooseneck seemed likely to put enough force on the MDF baffle that it could quickly enlarge/damage the mounting holes, so adding the metal insert to a piece of wood behind the baffle should, hopefully, transfer those stresses to that piece of wood. If I have time I'll post some pics later.

I only have a cheap AT "DR 1000" mic from the 90s and picks up too much noise to be much use, so a 57/58 is in my future. Very preliminary and non-scientific testing indicates that speaker feedback is a bigger problem than transmitted vibrations, so headphones will be a must, but hard to say much more than that at the moment.

Space and convenience are the main reasons for doing it this way.

The amp is currently on a small metal shelving unit, so the speaker is at approximately ear level when sitting at my desk. Space is limited, and my multi-effects that I use as a DI is stored on the floor below the bottom shelf of this unit and is pulled out for use. So a floor stand would get in the way of that.

The desk is close enough that a short table stand might work, but that would likely interfere with where the mouse/mousepad is. A clamp mount might work, but I already have 4 clamp mount arms (two monitors, two speakers) on the desk. And a 61-key keyboard.

I also am a big fan of set it and forget it. I don't want to spend time unpacking stuff and setting it up, and the gooseneck idea seemed like it would be ideal for that, as I could leave it in the same position and therefore not have to deal with readjusting the mic during different recording sessions.

I'll see how it works. Absolute worst case scenario, it was a waste of about $20 and a couple hours and I have to go back to direct with ampsims.
all those words to describe what you did, ummm one picture coulda told a thousand words, just sayin