Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-14-2018, 03:22 AM   #1
germano
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper is the best daw at gearslutzīs board poll 2018/2019

At this moment Reaper is number one at the gearslutzīs board poll:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...mend-most.html
germano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:02 AM   #2
Bri1

^lolz- that's very encouraging and exellent news for the devs here am sure--but let's be honest--the amount of votes makes it kinda invalid imo..

now,if the same poll was over 1000 honest users-that would prove more statistically valid eh?
reaper could be #1- once all the others 'go-away'
i like reason too much to give it up just yet!
reaper is just a companion + playmate atmo >here<
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:26 AM   #3
germano

You are totally right, is too early to say something about.
In the meantime i can say that the top feature of reaper for me is the level of user programming integration (gui/js/reascript/etc...). Getting Reaper to a higher level, 5-10 years ahear of any other daw.
germano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:13 AM   #4
Gerry G

Default Yeah/Nah

Well Yeah the amount of votes is small but trends are already emerging. I just added one vote for the big R because I mean it.

All DAWs have a cul de sac where you get stuck including Reaper. With many other DAWs you contact the Devs or ask a user group and they tell you your hardware is wrong or not supported, it is the fault of some other software or it just cannot be passed.

With Reaper either the devs or users will tell you how to get over it, under it, around it, through it or that there is another way to get where you wish to go. That or you can work it out yourself. This is much more the case with the big R and that is what most like about it.
Gerry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
EricTbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by germano View Post
Reaper is the best daw at gearslutzīs board poll 2018/2019
It's the DAW that users there "use/recommend the most", which is not the same thing as best. The "best car" might be a McLaren P1, but that's not a car I use or would recommend for my mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
the amount of votes makes it kinda invalid imo.. now,if the same poll was over 1000 honest users-that would prove more statistically valid eh?
Depends on how many users they have. And what does "valid" even mean here? It's like when Hit Parader votes Joan Jett one of the best guitarists of all time. It tells you more about the voters than the winner. For instance, I frequent some forums where Ableton Live would utterly dominate such a poll. GearSlutz contains a lot more old farts (myself included).

Since the question is "use/recommend", the answer is also influenced by financials. Also, the respondents aren't randomly selected. It could be that the type of people who like Reaper also like answering polls more than usual.

Getting "valid statistics" is actually hard.

You could perhaps find the "best" DAW if you randomly selected thousands of musicians from various pools such as "professional producer", "bedroom musician", etc.; bought them all every major DAW, gave them advance training in usage for each one (randomly selecting which they were trained on first), locked them in a bunker for 5 years so they were isolated from all network effects, so on and so forth.

Anyway, it's always nice to see that Reaper is recognized.
EricTbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:06 PM   #6
Thonex

I'm fairly new to Reaper... and it is a great DAW... IF... you understand it.

Feature-wise... Reaper is pretty amazing... customization-wise, Reaper is the best. But that is also an issue. Reaper is so customizable, it can be very confusing.

I think Reaper would gain much more traction if there were 3 short-cut sets for:
  • Cubase
  • Logic
  • Live

That would make transitioning from those DAWS much easier. Of course this is just my opinion.

Cheers,

Andrew K
Thonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #7
Bri1

Quote:
And what does "valid" even mean here?

lolz- it is as valid as 1 makes it-- 1 person is a valid poll reasult--but i do not think the music industry would actually consider that as a 'statistically valid poll'.

000's of users may sway the industry bigwigs though eh?
i suppose there is a stat [somewhere] to check that^.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:17 PM   #8
EricTbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
lolz- it is as valid as 1 makes it-- 1 person is a valid poll reasult--but i do not think the music industry would actually consider that as a 'statistically valid poll'.

000's of users may sway the industry bigwigs though eh?
i suppose there is a stat [somewhere] to check that^.
Yikes.
EricTbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #9
Softsynth

A massive 64 votes for Reaper, so it is in the lead by a wide margin. Hmm, come back when the poll hits the tens of thousands.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:51 PM   #10
Tiggerdyret

I think this says more about the best and most active communities than the actual DAW. I love Reaper, but I have only tried Cubase and Logic and back then I didn't know a fraction of what I know today so who am I to have an opinion?.. Well, Cubase is an unstable over priced peace of garbage, but All the others might be great.
Tiggerdyret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:55 PM   #11
Tiggerdyret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thonex View Post

Feature-wise... Reaper is pretty amazing... customization-wise, Reaper is the best. But that is also an issue. Reaper is so customizable, it can be very confusing.

I think Reaper would gain much more traction if there were 3 short-cut sets for:
  • Cubase
  • Logic
  • Live

That would make transitioning from those DAWS much easier. Of course this is just my opinion.

Cheers,

Andrew K
I think you can download templates that makes Reaper look and act more like any of those. Someone must have uploaded shortcuts to all of the mentioned DAWs.
Tiggerdyret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:23 PM   #12
Seldrums

There is no comparison. REAPER's customization rules. Period.
Seldrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:52 PM   #13
DanR53

Ha! I just added another vote for Reaper. I only visit Gearslutz occasionally but never saw the poll.
DanR53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:56 PM   #14
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTbone View Post
Yikes.
Agreed.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:26 PM   #15
Bri1

heh -why the yikes! lol-- reaper is freqkin awesome no matter what a poll may try to inform any1--i mean_ what other programme allows a user to play markers like a drum module? + the gabillion other great stuffs about it+users inputs=totally smashin it m8's! =)
> was sold day1.. finding lots more uses every day now--even considering a serato dj stylee set up for xtra lolz--coz--it can kinda do that as well ! yeaa.nudgenudge
Old 07-15-2018, 02:35 PM   #16
drichard

It's nice that there's a poll about this and happy for Cockos. But I don't need a poll to know that Reaper is the best DAW product *for my needs*. I've tried many of them, and own three. (Reaper, Samplitude, and Pro Tools) Samplitude still gets used for some things, but Reaper is my primary DAW. And PT 12 sits unused unless I want to pull up old projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germano View Post
At this moment Reaper is number one at the gearslutzīs board poll:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...mend-most.html
drichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:10 PM   #17
Xenakios

Quote:

• Cubase
  • Logic
  • Live
But one can't add shortcuts for features that do not exist, though...
--
Xenakios blog (about HourGlass, Paul(X)Stretch and λ) :
http://xenakios.wordpress.com/
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:03 PM   #18
Bri1

Quote:
But one can't add shortcuts for features that do not exist, though...

=2x kaboom!

^a %of reaper scripting +jsfx makes that doossible though,eh?
Old 07-15-2018, 09:44 PM   #19
birdbrain

Quote:

• Cubase
  • Logic
  • Live

Cheers,

Andrew K
As a matter of fact, once I swhowed an Audio Engineering classmate Reaper, that there are Themes to make it look like ProTools he was flaberghasted. I think he switched to Reaper at that point. I regret having to purchase that bloated program myself even though I got a student discount at the time. I never use Protools ever after completing that course.
BTW, Default Reaper Theme is a beautiful thing. But really its about the customizability for me making.
birdbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:48 PM   #20
jinotsuh

Not that I believe these polls mean much, and that they can be abused (Multiple votes are easy), but some fun anyway. REAPER is a top DAW, and I have been following since v2 something, but it is my number 2 DAW for the last 3 years, so I voted for another . . . sorry.
jinotsuh is online now   Reply With Quote