Old 07-16-2018, 01:59 PM   #41
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
That's a bit of a laugh. I run a couple (actually, one these days) of browser plugins to block annoying ads and the tracking that goes along with it. I would call that very minimal and necessary browser security/privacy given the overuse and abuse of browser scripting these days.
I can't know without inferring/asking but I did infer that way because I tried chrome with ad blockers and it doesn't happen here - It also caught my eye because I've been to SW so many times without seeing it - and let's say something like Tor would very likely have a last hop that is a foreign or possibly unusual IP in the server's eyes - which would most likely invoke CAPTCHA as a safety mechanism.

That's also why I initially asked for "steps to repro" and since we had a slew of posts from the OP for the reaper forum's CAPTCHA before we realized he/she was searching without logging in first (or and ad blocker since they never responded).
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:13 PM   #42
brainwreck

Just so that any naysayers can believe that it actually happens. I only visited, followed through a couple of links, and bam. There it was. Nothing suspicious, no tor browser, etc. If anyone is 'secured to the hilt' here, it is sweetwater. But maybe I faked it up real quick in photoshop while I was blurring out any unnecessaries. That must be it.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #43
karbomusic

Ahh, they explain why right there in the message. But it says the CAPCHA is a fun CAPTCHA so I don't see the problem.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #44
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Ahh, they explain why right there in the message. But it says the CAPCHA is a fun CAPTCHA so I don't see the problem.
Fuck them. That was the last visit from me.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #45
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTbone View Post
A google search turns up no reference to this at all. In fact, the top hits are recent posts asking them to implement captcha support to reduce spam.
Because most people who experience it probably say fuck it, and move on. And guess what, this won't show up in google either. I guess the forum maintainers are doing something stupid here, too. Right?
Old Yesterday, 03:19 AM   #46
cyrano

It's not the server maintainer's fault...

The ReCaptcha javascript comes from Google's servers. It's a fairly standard function in a lot of web server software. And usually, it's either on or off. Nothing much to configure. Google decides what captcha you get to see. And Google recently disabled their version 1. Every site should be using V2.

The problem is probably related to an old browser, a plugin interfering, or a dodgy route to one of the servers. Probably Google's. Some countries are blocking a number of those. And that dodgy routing problem surfaces every now and then. It is DNS related. Should be simple, but isn't as the problem is local. IE, the support people can't "see" it. Ever tried convincing someone that what he can't see, does exist?

What's the version of that pad you are using? If it's an Android version problem, it might be known?

Certainly, using the tor browser would get you flagged or even blocked on some major sites.

IF you get blocked, maybe it is wise to try and figure out why?

Can you run a util like TraceRoute?
Old Yesterday, 05:04 AM   #47
AugerJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdutchie View Post
I'm annoyed cause I'm a robot and don't have a box to tick!!
That's a good one )
AugerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM   #48
EricTbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Because most people who experience it probably say fuck it, and move on. And guess what, this won't show up in google either. I guess the forum maintainers are doing something stupid here, too. Right?
This is just terrible reasoning, all the way across the sky.

Also.
EricTbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM   #49
brainwreck

Ericthebone, it sounds like you have some sort of stake in this captcha crap. I don't. I'm just annoyed by it like everyone else in this thread.