Old 01-17-2018, 09:20 PM   #1
nfpotter
Human being with feelings

Default Remind me... routing question

If I initially set up a multi-output VSTi, say, Superior Drummer 2, once I have the initial track in my project as just a stereo return/midi holder, can I add a track and set it to receive from another set of outputs from the VSTi?

Say my whole kit is on Track 1, and everything is being output 1/2 in Superior Drummer. Then I decide I want to send just the snare out 3/4 in SD, and return that to Track 2 in Reaper. How do I do that?

-Mitch Hedberg
nfpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:23 AM   #2
planetnine

A send from the track containing SD to track 2, using channels 3/4 => 1/2.

>
Old 01-18-2018, 08:17 AM   #3
nfpotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
A send from the track containing SD to track 2, using channels 3/4 => 1/2.

>
Ah, yes, thanks much!

-Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

Yep. I never let Reaper build multichannel audio output whatever. In fact, I never use the "insert virtual instrument" thing at all. Make a track, add VSTi like any other FX, route in and out like any other FX and if that means sending certain channels off to other tracks, then that's what I do. If that automatic option didn't exist, people would be forced to actually learn how Reaper's routing works, and there'd be a lot less confusion all around.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:00 PM   #5
nfpotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Yep. I never let Reaper build multichannel audio output whatever. In fact, I never use the "insert virtual instrument" thing at all. Make a track, add VSTi like any other FX, route in and out like any other FX and if that means sending certain channels off to other tracks, then that's what I do. If that automatic option didn't exist, people would be forced to actually learn how Reaper's routing works, and there'd be a lot less confusion all around.
Yeah, I've been using Reaper since about 2009, just forgot because I haven't done any recording in a while.

-Mitch Hedberg