Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-12-2017, 07:39 PM   #1
Apocanaut
Human being with feelings

Default Playback cursor starts moving much later than audio

Hi there,

I'm pretty new to Reaper/audio production in general, and I seem to have just hit a problem that, judging by the results of *many* google searches, most people do not seem to have with Reaper. I've successfully recorded a song for 8 cellos, all individually recorded and layered. Now it's time to put the takes for each track together and make it actually sound good, and that occasionally involves splicing in something as short as a single eighth note at quarter=160 bpm. My problem is that every time I press play, the audio begins playing immediately, but the playback cursor only starts moving after about 4 beats have past, or a little over a second afterward. It's very consistent, and I don't get the impression that my computer is just laboring intensely - there's no jerking or weird stalling in either the audio or the cursor. This is making it difficult to pinpoint the exact visual location of where I need to do some splicing.

I've tried changing different latency and playback settings to no avail, and haven't really been able to find anyone with a similar issue online (at least, no one who had their question properly answered). It obviously seems like a latency issue, except I would normally expect the *audio* to be behind in this case, not the playhead.

Shouldn't the playback cursor start moving as soon as the audio plays? Can anyone help me with this please?

Here are my specs:
Samsung Series 7 Chronos
Windows 7, Intel Core i7-3615QM CPU @2.30 GHz
12 GB RAM

Using an Audient iD14 mic interface and listening to the audio through that instead of computer speaker out. Using the ASIO driver it installed with. Pretty much no latency issues while recording, except an occasional hiccup when the clock would go red and pause for a split second before continuing.
Apocanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:06 AM   #2
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocanaut View Post
My problem is that every time I press play, the audio begins playing immediately, but the playback cursor only starts moving after about 4 beats have past, or a little over a second afterward. It's very consistent ...
1) Open the metronome/pre-roll settings: either via right-click on the Metronome button in the Main Toolbar or via the Action List: 'Options: Show metronome/pre-roll settings'.
2) Make sure that you don't have Pre-roll before playback enabled at the bottom.

And welcome to the Reaper Forums!
Make sure to also check out the User Guide (https://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php) and the Videos Section (https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php) in general.

Last edited by solger; 07-13-2017 at 02:12 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:21 PM   #3
Apocanaut

Hi Solger, thanks for the help! Unfortunately, I tried it and that does not seem to affect the problem. The length of time between when the audio starts and when the cursor starts moving seems to be the same no matter what tempo the music's at, i.e. at full tempo it'll start somewhere around 4.3 beats in but at half tempo it'll start somewhere around 2.15 beats in, if that helps at all.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:22 AM   #4
solger

Quote:
Hi Solger, thanks for the help! Unfortunately, I tried it and that does not seem to affect the problem. The length of time between when the audio starts and when the cursor starts moving seems to be the same no matter what tempo the music's at, i.e. at full tempo it'll start somewhere around 4.3 beats in but at half tempo it'll start somewhere around 2.15 beats in, if that helps at all.
OK, maybe it's somehow related to the problem mentioned in this thread : https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=18264.
Have a look at the suggestions in post #3 and #8.

Also try making a portable Reaper install to a second folder (so you have your current Reaper install and the portable install side-by-side in different folders) to check if the problem is the same there:
http://reaperblog.net/2015/07/reaper...nstall-option/

Otherwise, just in case: you might also check if you have the latest graphics drivers installed. Or if rolling back to a previous graphics driver version makes any difference ...

Last edited by solger; 07-14-2017 at 02:37 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:15 PM   #5
Apocanaut

Thanks again, Solger. I did all of those steps and the portable install is what worked. The old install still has the problem after the other fixes, but that doesn't matter with the new install. Thanks so much - huge headache averted!
Old 07-15-2017, 01:00 AM   #6
solger

Quote:
Thanks again, Solger. I did all of those steps and the portable install is what worked.
Great to hear it's working with the new install

As a side note: you can have as many portable installs (in their own folders) side-by-side as you want (even with the same Reaper version).
This comes in very handy, for instance, if you want to try out different settings or want to test features of a new update version without affecting or messing up your current install.

Quote:
The old install still has the problem after the other fixes, but that doesn't matter with the new install.
Looks like your config or some setting in the old install got messed up somehow then (for whatever reason) ...

Last edited by solger; 07-15-2017 at 01:15 AM.