Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 04-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #81
Banned
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
^ btw, you get slightly faster performance by setting "outgoing packet size" to 0, and "wait between packets" to 0 ms. No need to limit the speed when we're spamming localhost.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #82
Guido

[QUOTE=Banned;950791
I don't see exactly what numbers you're trying to change, but I'll try to answer it generally (as it's more a general editing question).....:
)[/QUOTE]

Hi banned,
I thought it was part of the istructions..here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
No running status stuff, just using SysEx, I was using info from the specs in the MotorMix manual.

But, err, so that is *not* your mixer? Lol.

Ok, I guess then the SysEx header in the Pd patch should be changed a bit, and the addressing scheme simplified (I guess we can just delete a bit of maths and use the raw track number).

Try this package instead (I left the previous up, for anyone with a MotorMix - @Dannii, is that you? Give it a try!).

Open the subpatch [pd convert2SysEx] to see where I changed the part that read

[0 1 15 0 17 0(

into

[0 0 102 5 0 16(

I deleted the address calculation stuff there as well.

There's also slight modification to the [track-parameters] subpatch, to truncate the track names to 4 characters (instead of 5).
btw..checked next to last possible place for that programmer. It must be in the garage...will take a bit...but i know its there.

And thx for the pd info...nite
Guido
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #83
Banned

Quote:
Hi banned,
I thought it was part of the istructions..here..
No, I just described there what I changed in comparison to the other Pd patch, that's all. So if you compare them, you can see what I did to modify it for the other mixer model, which may be illustrative for anyone else to learn how to do such a thing.
Quote:
btw..checked next to last possible place for that programmer. It must be in the garage...will take a bit...but i know its there.
Don't sweat it!
Old 04-27-2012, 01:54 AM   #84
strinxx

Any news on this?
Any chance we get a working "Reaper-Houston-combo"...?

...just curious.....
strinxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #85
scarlton

Quote:
Originally Posted by strinxx View Post
Any news on this?
Any chance we get a working "Reaper-Houston-combo"...?

...just curious.....
Yeah, I'll have an alpha available this weekend. I started the thread below to keep track of it, I'll post there with any updates.

Steinberg Houston plugin
scarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:10 AM   #86
Muziekschuur

Banned,

I own a Tascam DM24 wich has (partial) HUI. I could bring the mixer if needed. I have it in a flightcase. So it's mobile. Only needs midi cables into a midi interface to work.

I'm in Holland..

Last edited by Muziekschuur; 10-03-2012 at 03:50 AM.
Muziekschuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:55 AM   #87
BorsingPhoto

Quote:
That concept seems fundamentally flawed to me. If you need something besides BMT to handle the display, and need to use MIDI (SysEx) for it (as you seem to do), then I suggest ditching BMT completely. It's way too kludgy to use two separate processes to handle a part of the MIDI stream / device. And the same probably goes for the Csurf plugin. I suggest picking *one* tool/platform to handle the entire problem.

I may be wrong, but none of this sounds interesting to me yet, actually. Avid, ProTools, Mackie, MCU, HUI: to me they're more like swear words than anything to get excited about. "Incredibly expensive stuff that still doesn't work right - while my cheap ass gear works perfectly" is all I keep thinking. I'm still not hearing anything that I couldn't do *much* cheaper than $1400. Am I wrong? Seriously, I want to find out what it is that makes people pay so much money. Meters? VCA groups? Parameter feedback? Automapping? (Check, check, check, check... REAPER+OSC is pretty neat, I tell ya. )
My 25 Cents is that ALL other DAW's I tried out is nothing more than restricted nightmarish bloat ware, although my 25 cents are "limited" to PC platforms. Reaper is simply an incredible DAW, one that most likely never will be beaten by any other DAW in the future. This I base upon the fact that the whole world seems nothing short of crazy these days as under every rock there's a in-serious "J" waiting to lure anyone's hard earned money away.. I may speak for myself, but I'd rather spend twice the cost of the so called standardized Blow tools crap for Reaper and get an unrestricted, FAST and reliable DAW. A Digital Audio Workstation needs to be fast because FX and instrument plugins do often require a lot of resources, besides there's nothing wrong with my ears as I claim that in the digital realm, or Reaper ditto, what you put in, you'll also get out...

Last edited by BorsingPhoto; 10-08-2012 at 05:03 AM.
BorsingPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #88
jacekk

Hi, I am new here and I'm pretty sure that I'm posting in the wrong thread, but I'll try my luck. I'm a total noob to the MIDI/HUI etc. stuff. I am looking for information how to connect multiple MIDI devices to make my DAW see it as one controller. The gear I mean is Icon Qcon Pro and Icon Qcon Ex. I would like to group them into one virtual controller. The reason I want to do that is my Qcon Pro can't send a information to my Qcon Ex (for example when I hit the send button my pots on the Qcon Pro change to send mode, but on my EX are still in the Pan mode). I've found out that making DAW see those controllers as ONE unit will solve the problem, but I don't have an idea how to do it. Maybe someone here is able to help?

regards

Quote:
Hi,

Im probably the only one here that cares^^,,but after a 5 year search, a kind gent named theageman has done it! The most complete ,accurate, beautiful txt files i have ever seen!
Here they are^^

https://stash.reaper.fm/12332/HUI.pdf

https://stash.reaper.fm/12333/HUI_CSET.txt

https://stash.reaper.fm/12334/HUIREFRX.txt

https://stash.reaper.fm/12335/HUIREFRX.txt

https://stash.reaper.fm/12336/HUIREFTX.txt

https://stash.reaper.fm/12337/HUIZONES.txt

And here is where I got them from...BIG THANKS and eternal gratitude^^ to the ageman!!

http://www.ssei-online.de/cms/?q=en/node/36

Now maybe someone at Cockos could finish the Csurf..or let me do it by just making a Reaper osc to midi convertor and Ill take care of all the conversions myself and release it for everyone. PLZ!! Ive waited so long..and tired of depending on the kindness of strangers!^^Im begging..Justin...Shwa..plzzzzzzzz Lou..in a Ted Knight voice^^

EDIT...On second thought I would prefer the osc to midi convertor option. I now have split my hui into 3 different MIDI zones. The faders and bank sel..pan... select..solo /mute...are all done by the Reaper HUI Csurf with full bidirectional communication. The buttons on the right..there's 56 of them..I grab out of the midi stream by the messages they send and convert them to key commands using bomes midi translator pro. Until BMTP me and just about everyone else {that didn't have native hui support in their daw} couldnt even use their daws learn function.
The third and the "zone" I am having all the trouble with is the displays on my board..one a 2*40 character text display..and a smpte/bars beats 7 segment display. My issue is that I cant get osc..what looks like the Reaper standard for what Reaper will SEND OUT....into midi so i can then covert those midi messages into what the displays expect. phew!!! And this way it would benefit many more ppl.

HELP

Guido
jacekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #89
merdave

Guido, I have a BCF2000 that I'm not using. If you want it, send your mailing address and I'll mail it to you. Ho, Ho, Ho! Merry Christmas!

I'm just starting my trip down Reaper OSC lane so I'll be needing some help when I get stuck in the mud. Got an 8" android tablet so I'm into Android Studio too.

Some music and some coding should keep the left and right brain balanced.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:40 AM   #90
BorsingPhoto

------ CUT -------

As far as who would be interested....any one that has a controler that was designed to work with protools. That would include a lot of not NOW so expensive midi controllers. Especialy with the way avid has made them obsolete for current PT {if Im not mistaken} bu dropping hui support. Any HUI speaking controller. And this is old stuff man!the REAL hardware Mackie HUI..the grand father of all daw controllers..came out in 97! these controllers used to be expensive.
------- CUT -------

I'll probably buy the Yamaha 01v96i. read somewhere that people are having difficulties using it as a control surface in Reaper, just downloaded the manual today and found that it should definitively work fully in ProTools. I use ProTools 11 since AVID FINALLY "came to their senses" and re built the damn thing so these days it's not only 64 bit but it also actually handles my virtual instrument workflow quite a bit better than Reaper. This is of course thanks to the DUAL audio engines and AAX plugs. This won't matter (I THINK) after I got my HP Z640 because it has TWO XEON 6 core CPU's 16 GB ECC (?, Error correcting) RAM (thinking of getting 32GB). I miss working with Reaper on my current system and I've spend the past Two years building my (Huge) Project Studio template with 16 MIDI, Mic, Guitar, Headphone, Effects tracks VCA's etc, etc some of them setup with the Rea surround plugin in 7.1.. (forget the AVID $5K PT HD with 5.1, right?)

My upcoming BorsingStudios project (No NOT Alan Parson) will be made mainly with Virtual Instruments, Native's Kontrol 61 keyboard, Komplete 10 Ultimate and a few other Gold nuggets. I shall mix it on the Z860), so it would be nice if I could use the Yamaha 01v96's surface. My music, released online as I go and when enough materials have been produced, released on CD and/or DVD in it's higher quality (48) together with Aerial 4K footage and perhaps some footage from inside my Project studio such as a tour, perhaps scenes of how I put the film together with the 3D effects etc.

I use Sony Vegas 14 Suite (Know what some are thinking), which proved to be the most stable Vegas version yet (believe me I've struggled with those past versions), The suite comes bundled with HitFilm 3 Pro, which now is somewhat "integrated" within Vegas Pro 13 Suite.. I'm loving it but a few days ago I discovered a water pipe leak which needs to be fixed since it's the same room we reserved for the project studio..

P.S. If you scroll down http://borsingstudios.com/media.htm you'll find my latest training project (next to Thor's Hammer), which is a piece by Vangelis called "Memories of Green". It's NOT me playing it (started programming it before I found the MIDI file) but it IS my Komplete instrument collection, PT-11 mix etc. And yes I will be able to PLAY it on an actual keyboard one day. Know that I've recently begun playing again after not having touched an instrument for almost 20 years besides there's some "musical notes" and "cover's I did play, if not completely at least partially.. Enough bragging, Sir Carl out (man I need to get out more)..

Last edited by BorsingPhoto; 04-16-2015 at 11:08 AM.
BorsingPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:39 PM   #91
siniarch

Quote:
No, I just described there what I changed in comparison to the other Pd patch, that's all. So if you compare them, you can see what I did to modify it for the other mixer model, which may be illustrative for anyone else to learn how to do such a thing.

Don't sweat it!
Whatever happened to this project? Were you and Guido able to create a Midi -> OSC converter?

I'm building a Midi Controller and would love to figure out how to make it work with OSC. At the moment, I'm only moving forward with Midi because the guy who is doing the PCB board only knows midi.
Thanks.
siniarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:44 AM   #92
ivansc

Yeah... I am interested in this one too.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:18 AM   #93
dougdi

How about Osculator? I haven’t used it lately, but I believe it can do it.

https://osculator.net/
dougdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:54 AM   #94
tspring

You might also think about using a Raspberry Pi zero wh to connect your project board to OSC devices. Not only would this allow translation of midi messages to OSC, but would also support USB, wireless, and bluetooth communication to other devices. A Pi zero wh costs about $14 US.

Also I don't see how you can be able to set addresses for transmission of the OSC to other devices without a programmable device like Pi or Arduino to work with. Mind you, I have not delved deeply into this topic, but it is related to a project I am working on.I suppose one option is to send midi messages to the PC running Reaper and convert them to OSC at that point but that seems like a sub-optimal solution to me, although it would probably be easier if you don't need USB, wireless, or bluetooth.

Her is a link that gives an idea of what is involved in a midi-OSC bridge using a Raspberry pi (but not using the Pi zero wh version, which has built-in wi-fi)

http://www.astlab.de/rpi/rpi.shtml

T

Last edited by tspring; 07-05-2020 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Typos and more info.
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 02:49 AM   #95
HoneyBadger

Quote:
PS: looks like you posted two identical copies of the file HUIREFRX.txt, and forgot HUICSET2.txt.
That link is dead, but you can still find it here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120623...0/HUICSET2.txt

Btw, did someone upload all files in one zip somewhere?
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:13 AM   #96
LugNut

Hi,

I'm Guido. I ended up using bomes midi translator pro.
Do you guys still need the hui spec docs? I have them here somewhere:-)

Edit honey badger...all the stash links still work, but the one I didn't include doesn't. For you guys need that text file?
And, I thought honey badger don't care?:-)

Last edited by LugNut; 12-24-2020 at 09:54 AM.
LugNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:49 AM   #97
LugNut

Hi,
As I read more, you're looking to convert midi to/from osc?
I know 2 options. I think:-)
1. Bomes midi translator pro...I read it now handles osc/midi conversion

2. Osciibot...this is from cockos. I tried to figure it out, but I couldn't. But I did get it to look at what track is selected in reaper and convert that to a midi command. But a fellow reaper user did all the osciibot programming.

The good thing about hui spec vs MCP...Mackie control protocol....is that hui is all two 3 byte midi messages for everything. Meaning high resolution. Imho
MCP or as most ppl call it, MCU, uses different midi channels pitch bend for every fader. Once you hit 16, your all tapped out. Just 0-127. Unless the next set of faders is on a different midi port.
LugNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 02:12 PM   #98
istominmusic

Hello! I'm trying to figure out the screen code for MCU Mackie.
I have one screen (I created a controller in Lemure). But I want to add a couple more screens, but I don't understand how to switch data to another midi channel in the control code?
Here is an example of one screen line:
0xF0 0x00 0x00 0x66 0x14 0x12 0 <C01> <C02> <C03> <C04> <C05> <C06> <C07> 0xF7 0xF0 0x00 0x00 0x66 0x14 0x12 56 <C08> <C09> <C10> <C11> <C12> <C13> <C14> 0xF7
Where is the midi channel reference in this code? Or is he not here?
istominmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 05:20 AM   #99
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by istominmusic View Post
Hello! I'm trying to figure out the screen code for MCU Mackie.
I have one screen (I created a controller in Lemure). But I want to add a couple more screens, but I don't understand how to switch data to another midi channel in the control code?
Here is an example of one screen line:
0xF0 0x00 0x00 0x66 0x14 0x12 0 <C01> <C02> <C03> <C04> <C05> <C06> <C07> 0xF7 0xF0 0x00 0x00 0x66 0x14 0x12 56 <C08> <C09> <C10> <C11> <C12> <C13> <C14> 0xF7
Where is the midi channel reference in this code? Or is he not here?
This is Sysex (System Exclusive Message), those don't have a midi channel.

You send 0xF0 0x00 0x00 0x66 0x14 0x12, then the offset (where 56 is the offset for the beginning of the second row), then the data and an 0xF7 at the end. E.g. changing just a single char at the 8th position of the first row would be:

0xF0 0x00 0x00 0x66 0x14 0x12 0x08 xx 0xF7, where xx is the ASCII value of your new char.
Klinke is offline   Reply With Quote