Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-04-2016, 07:14 AM   #1
ulfh
Human being with feelings

Default AKAI Advance VIP auto-track-select scripts

I recently aqcuired an Akai Advance keyboard to get hands on control of my VSTs.

The idea is to stare on the knobs of your keyboard and not having to care too much about the computer/DAW. The AKAI VIP VST instance does all the mapping for you, by hosting other VSTs inside.

The issue is when you have several VIP instances across tracks in Reaper; changing which one your knobs talk to does not change what track in Reaper that is getting the MIDI from the keyboard - that's two separate things.

With this script running (in the background!) selecting a different VIP instance from the keyboard will also change what track is selected in Reaper.

If you have your VIP hosting tracks to auto-arm when selected (right click on the track and you should find the option), this will work quite nicely.

Last edited by ulfh; 05-05-2016 at 01:07 AM.
ulfh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:15 AM   #2
ulfh

* Download/install

https://github.com/ulph/reaper_vip_control

download vip.eel
run it through actions -> open/run reascript

* Changelog

** version 0.2

- only switch between tracks that has VIP instance on them; selecting a non-VIP track cancels...
- check only once a second.
- automatically latch tracks

** version 0.1

- initial script
- agressively selecting the track with last touch fx params, unselecting all others
- no way to cancel the script once launced

Last edited by ulfh; 06-01-2016 at 02:01 PM. Reason: 0.2
Old 05-04-2016, 11:05 AM   #3
Calaban

I bought the Advance 49 with very high hopes but I had so many problems that I returned it the next day. I just couldn't find it in me to troubleshoot it until it was stable.

I'm curious what you had to do to get it to an acceptable level of crashing vs workability.
Calaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:16 PM   #4
ulfh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban View Post
I bought the Advance 49 with very high hopes but I had so many problems that I returned it the next day. I just couldn't find it in me to troubleshoot it until it was stable.

I'm curious what you had to do to get it to an acceptable level of crashing vs workability.
If adding VIP instances to your project, it'll work fine for me until I save, close and open the project again.

That specific crash can be worked around by running VIP standalone, forcing the VSTi instances to unloaded. ("VIP instance allready running" ...)

Then, commence with closing the standalone app, and re-enable the VSTi instances. This has worked for me so far.

However, it should not be like this.
http://community.akaipro.com/akai_pr...unusable-state
I've got some response already from the support team - I'm hopeful.

Last edited by ulfh; 05-04-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #5
ulfh

posted version 0.1 of this script.

EDIT:
https://github.com/ulph/reaper_vip_control

Last edited by ulfh; 05-05-2016 at 02:38 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:57 PM   #6
ulfh

version 0.2 posted

+ only switch between tracks that has VIP instance on them; selecting a non-VIP track cancels...
+ check only once a second.
+ automatically latch tracks

much better script, but still not quite playing nicely with other tracks presumably (unselecting/selecting as well as changing parameter automation modes may not be ideal)
Old 12-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #7
ulfh

bump!

I use this! It helps.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:24 AM   #8
FP85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfh View Post
version 0.2 posted

+ only switch between tracks that has VIP instance on them; selecting a non-VIP track cancels...
+ check only once a second.
+ automatically latch tracks

much better script, but still not quite playing nicely with other tracks presumably (unselecting/selecting as well as changing parameter automation modes may not be ideal)

Thank you for making this. Will try it when I play with my advanced I just purchased
FP85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:04 PM   #9
cjewellstudios

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfh View Post
bump!

I use this! It helps.
I want to thank you for making this script! I can't get it to work though :/

With the script running, changing the instance on my controller does not switch the tracks. It also tends to put the track in latch mode which I don't need it to do. (that took me a minute to figure out lol, I ended up with a bunch of automation lanes and then my adjustments would just go back to where I had them because it was reading the automation I was unaware was happening haha)

Actually, if I switch the track manually after changing instances on the Advance, it will then change back to the track it was previously on with latch mode.

I'm really hoping we can work this out, it seems amazing, and I am just now taking the time and mapping everything in VIP. Accepting the bugs that VIP has and embracing it, it's actually a really cool piece of software.

Anyhow, hope to hear from you soon.
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:46 AM   #10
dennisnv

Default VIP crashing REAPER

I am prematurely excited about the VIP paradigm; while it's current iteration is unstable with REAPER on my system I did enjoy the access to all of my noisemaker's presets in one place during the moments before REAPER crashed. I haven't tried using it on multiple tracks since it already struggles with just one instance. I currently use only the standalone version of VIP, to audition presets. I am hoping that VIP-REAPER users will continue to share their failures and successes here so we can collaborate and perhaps help move this wonderful concept forward.
dennisnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:33 AM   #11
cjewellstudios

Unfortunately, it's been years since there has been an update to VIP.

I ended up selling my advance 49 even though it was a solid keyboard.

VIP is an amazing idea with terrible execution to be honest. What's more is they still push it like it's not riddled with problems/bugs.

I sincerely hope you have a better experience.
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote