Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 10-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #1
explodingPSYCH
Human being with feelings

Default Render Length (bug or user error?) (NO BUG)

I'm trying to render seamless loops and I'm running into a lot of issues after I've confirmed the loop on playback in Reaper.

Initially it had to do with some plugins I hadn't printed, but now I'm finding issues with the length of the rendered wav being varied.

I've been able to modify the length it renders (either slightly longer or shorter than the what the region is dictating) via the following:

-deactivating all plugins on master track (seems to increase the length from shorter than the region to longer than the region)

-offline verses online seems to go from slightly longer to a little bit longer than region length

-requesting a sample rate and block size seems to have varied it slightly as well, though I'm less sure about this.

-Extreme HQ resampling from 48k to 44.1k also seems to vary the length.

I have yet to get the correct length from region rendering in this file, though my other files seem to work fine.

Could I be doing something wrong? To test I am taking the rendered wav and putting them in a new file with the same BPM and dropping them in and checking the grid.

The attached picture is maximum zoom, so we are dealing with very low amounts of time. Maybe a sample or two. But it matters as I am trying to get seamless loops.
Attached Images
File Type: png render lengths.png (4.9 KB, 295 views)

Last edited by explodingPSYCH; 10-10-2017 at 02:46 PM.
explodingPSYCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
Dstruct

Time selection, render regions and items can have sub-sample lenght. Rendered files only can have lenghts of whole samples.

Snap/grid settings: "Snap to project sample rate" can help in this case.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:15 PM   #3
explodingPSYCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
Time selection, render regions and items can have sub-sample lenght. Rendered files only can have lenghts of whole samples.

Thanks for the answer. It gives me something to go on... I'm surprised that this would be the case though. It creates an inaccurate representation of what's being rendered.

Why would deactivating the VSTs on my master channel be changing the length?
Old 10-10-2017, 07:20 PM   #4
Dstruct

This shouldn't happen. REAPER should always render files according to the render region/time selection lenght (file lenght = rounded to nearest whole sample).
Old 10-10-2017, 07:27 PM   #5
explodingPSYCH

Quote:
This shouldn't happen. REAPER should always render files according to the render region/time selection lenght (file lenght = rounded to nearest whole sample).
I agree wholeheartedly! I just can't figure out what is happening with these files. As pictured... I've been unable to reproduce the correct file length of a 66bpm loop by taking the rendered loop and putting it in a new 66bpm file and trying to loop it.

Also, to be fair, I'm not actually sure how long these variations in length are. It's max zoom, and I'm assuming each dot is a sample. I could be wrong though.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:31 PM   #6
Dstruct

As I said:

Quote:
+ Project settings:

"Force project tempo ... to occur on whole samples"

In this case you'll almost never run into these "sub-sample" lenght problems.

But: You can't have "66" BPM in this case. Project tempo will be rounded to "66.xxx" BPM.

To check the lenght differences you can set the ruler to "Samples".