Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 06-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
Tod
Human being with feelings

Default NI 10nth anniversary, 1/2 off K5 and others..

I got an email in my mailbox this morning announcing their 10nth year anniversary. K5 and some other stuff half off.

I wouldn't mind upgrading from K4 to K5 but not sure what the price would be. I did see something about $119 but not sure. Even at that price I don't feel quick to jump on it. If the library has something worth while I wouldn't mind but from my experience Kontakts library upgrades isn't that big of deal.

Abbey Road drums are going for $59.50 but there's no info on the number of velocity layers or RRs. Some of you have it, any info you can give me? It also comes only for K5, not K4 and although you get the free K5 player it's not the same unless you have complete access to the samples, is that the case?

Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
Stu

Abbey road behaves the same in Kontakt full or player as far as I can tell. As for velocity layers etc, if memory serves it's around 30 layers per kit piece, with multiple alternate strikes per layer. You also get seperate samples for right and left hand. The kits are incredibly detailed and sound very natural.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
Stu

From the NI site:

abbey road 60's drummer -
Over 29,000 samples
24-bit, 44.1 kHz samples
6.3 GB library size, using the KONTAKT sample compression (14.0 GB uncompressed!)
Up to 30 velocity layers for a single articulation
Up to 6 variations of drum hits at the same velocity for added realism

Separate vintage and modern mic samples for direct, overhead mono, overhead stereo, and room mics
Two snare options for each kit
Separate Right and Left hand samples for the most common Snare, Tom, and Hihat articulations
Snare Top/Bottom and Kick In/Out samples
Optional snare bleed samples for many drums
Offers 'Lite' versions of each kit

I'm guessing it's around the same for the other packs.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
From the NI site:

abbey road 60's drummer -
Over 29,000 samples
24-bit, 44.1 kHz samples
6.3 GB library size, using the KONTAKT sample compression (14.0 GB uncompressed!)
Up to 30 velocity layers for a single articulation
Up to 6 variations of drum hits at the same velocity for added realism

Separate vintage and modern mic samples for direct, overhead mono, overhead stereo, and room mics
Two snare options for each kit
Separate Right and Left hand samples for the most common Snare, Tom, and Hihat articulations
Snare Top/Bottom and Kick In/Out samples
Optional snare bleed samples for many drums
Offers 'Lite' versions of each kit

I'm guessing it's around the same for the other packs.
Thanks a lot Stu, I'm impressed.

I wonder what they mean by Up to 6 variations of drum hits at the same velocity for added realism? Are they talking about round robins?
Old 06-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Stu

Yes, it uses some sort of algorithm based on how quickly the same 'note' is played though, so not entirely random. It works very well.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
rictheobscene

One bonus to this deal, is that you can pick up Kontakt at a great price, and then when NI to offers one of their famous Kontakt / Reaktor to Komplete crossgrade super-deals, make the jump to one of the most comprehensive offerings in our wonderful little world.
rictheobscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
hopi

the K5 lib has a few advantages over K4

one, some improvements and tweaks, but nothing really major

however the whole lib takes up about 1/2 the HD space... which is quite significant...

K 5 includes the latest in scripting and some of the newest lib's won't run in lesser versions... and I'd expect that to be the case in the future... so I'd go for K5 if you like Kontakt.

IMO, it is the 'defacto' sampler these days and really let's you do some kewl stuff.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
rictheobscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post

IMO, it is the 'defacto' sampler these days and really let's you do some kewl stuff.
I would agree 100%, well said.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
Tod

Quote:
K 5 includes the latest in scripting and some of the newest lib's won't run in lesser versions... and I'd expect that to be the case in the future... so I'd go for K5 if you like Kontakt.
Actually it's always been the case, nki files saved in later versions won't load in earlier versions.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rictheobscene View Post
I would agree 100%, well said.
Thanks guys, I'm totally with you about Kontakt. I started out with K2 when it first came out.

My favorite past time is creating custom libraries and instruments. Kontakts scripting takes it way beyond any other sampler, giving the opportunity for almost unlimited possibilities.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:13 AM   #10
PerunZG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
I wouldn't mind upgrading from K4 to K5 but not sure what the price would be. I did see something about $119 but not sure.
Yes, $119 for K4 -> K5 for me too. Guess I'll go for it.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:59 AM   #11
kenzo

K5 for $200 seems like a good discount, but I'm not familiar with the product. What would be the main benefit in also owning K5 since I already use SampleTank 2.x (with Miroslav Philharmonik, Sonik Synth 2, SampleMoog, SampleTron)?

Thanks,
kenzo

Last edited by kenzo; 06-29-2012 at 06:41 AM.
kenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:15 AM   #12
Acall

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzo View Post
K5 for $200 seems like good discount, but I'm not familiar with the product. As a SampleTank user, what would be the main benefit in also owning K5?

Thanks,
kenzo
More sounds!
Just kidding. Kontakt and SampleTank are two pairs of shoes really. Kontakt simply is the modern standard, whereas SampleTank's stuck in 2007 (or whenever it was released) - it's a lot more flexible, has a much more accessible interface, is a lot more stable than ST, allows for custom interfaces and has scripting and libraries that go worlds beyond anything I've heard from SampleTank, although the ST standard library is a little more diverse than the Kontakt factory one.

On a side note, to all the Kontakt owners out there: Is Alicia's keys worth the price? How is AK compared to The Giant and which is better? I'm more of a classical piano guy, but I've been quite impressed with The Giant.
Acall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:35 AM   #13
copacetic

This thread makes me incredibly happy that I managed to get Komplete 8 for like 230 Dollars, during the Spring special!
Old 06-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #14
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzo View Post
K5 for $200 seems like a good discount, but I'm not familiar with the product. What would be the main benefit in also owning K5 since I already use SampleTank 2.x (with Miroslav Philharmonik, Sonik Synth 2, SampleMoog, SampleTron)?

Thanks,
kenzo
Kontakt 5 is way beyond ST's ability... It is a MUCH deeper program and a much more usable sampler.

ST is 'ok'... don't get me wrong, but it can't really touch what Kontakt can do.

as to sounds... ok, just think.. Kontakt can directly import, Akai discs [you have to have some app to mount them to a virtual drive usually...like say ESC or CD extract]...directly import sf2, files... you can d and d wav, aif, etc. right into Kontakt to make your own instruments with control of velocity layers, fx, wave editor, etc.

It's actually hard to explain how much better it is until one learns their way around inside it a little.

Ummm should mention that Extreme Sample Converter is pretty handy for converting ST files to .nki files. But it's not yet up to speed for the other way around since the more modern .nki files won't open in it. [maybe in ver. 4 if it ever gets here]
Old 06-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
winbe

I am also wondering if I should take the plunge...
I just bought SonikSynth II + two Xpansion packs for $29...

But I know Kontakt is in another league !

Quote:
Ummm should mention that Extreme Sample Converter is pretty handy for converting ST files to .nki files.
only works for ST1 files unfortunately... the "modern" ST2 files from 2005 won't load ...
Old 06-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #16
TimOBrien

Gas accck!

All these sales always hit when I can't pry any money away from the budget...

;-)
Old 06-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #17
Mercado_Negro

Argh, just when I can't buy it Hopefully we'll see another sale like this in 5 years to celebrate 15 yrs lol
Old 06-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #18
brainwreck

No Komplete sale this year? I'm considering dumping Reason. Props just rub me in all the wrong ways, and I think I'm done with it. Are any of the synths in Kontakt worth using?
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #19
Tod

Quote:
Kontakt 5 is way beyond ST's ability... It is a MUCH deeper program and a much more usable sampler.

ST is 'ok'... don't get me wrong, but it can't really touch what Kontakt can do.
Based on some of the threads regarding Kontakt I have a feeling there are many Reaperites who actually have Kontakt but don't understand some of the basics about how to use it. Kontakt is actually pretty simple but because of everything that it can do it can be very very complex and it's easy to become overwhelmed. For instance:

> Instrument Edit Mode: Simply opening up an instrument to have access to all it's parts.
> Group Editor: What groups are and how they play such a huge part in the way Kontakt works.
Creating Keyswitches, Round Robins, Random, etc..
> Amplifier: This would be a good place to start to understand what modulators are and how they worrk.
Velocity, CC11 expression, CC1 Mod, CC10 Pan, etc..
> ahdsr and Flex Envelopes: These can be very difficult to understand untill you get some hands on experience but can be used to manipulate sounds in almost unlitited ways.
> Scripting: I wouln't worry about this for now untill you're ready. In it's basic form it's pretty simple. Actually, heh heh, if you get passed the basic form of it you will be hooked because you end up with the feeling there's nothing you can't do.

Humm, maybe we should have a Kontakt section in Reaper for those who could use a little help. There are at least a few who know Kontakt very well, Evil Dragon and DarkStar are a couple. I'm sure there are more.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #20
hopi

don't recall exactly but sure one can goggle away for them... I 'think' it was mac pro video who made two tutorials about kontakt that I thought were worth their weight in gold...

kontakt is very deep

but you can use it nicely without ever getting into the guts
Old 06-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #21
dub3000

i took a look at this and thought i'd be more excited... but soundwise, sampletank does most of that for me.

the default kontakt sound set seems to be taken up with orchestral type stuff that i never use. i have a bunch of good synths for that sort of thing.

the only thing in their sample range that looks like something i'd use is the abbey road 60's drum set (or maybe the tight kit from the 70's set, if i wanted to do some disco). hmm.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #22
bharris

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
No Komplete sale this year? I'm considering dumping Reason. Props just rub me in all the wrong ways, and I think I'm done with it. Are any of the synths in Kontakt worth using?
I'm hoping for that, too. I would love to get Komplete 8 Ultimate upgrade for half off (that's the deal they ran last summer).
bharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #23
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris View Post
I'm hoping for that, too. I would love to get Komplete 8 Ultimate upgrade for half off (that's the deal they ran last summer).
Do they usually do a 50% off thing every year? So, last year was for the upgrade only?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #24
Stu

Quote:

Humm, maybe we should have a Kontakt section in Reaper for those who could use a little help. There are at least a few who know Kontakt very well, Evil Dragon and DarkStar are a couple. I'm sure there are more.
Aside from loading an instrument, using the output routing and kontakt mixer, and actually playing the instrument, I understand virtually nothing about Kontakt. That's not really bothered me much until recently when I was trying to do some more complicated tasks like applying the morphing envelope, and I must admit that trying to understand NIs way of working feels like trying to understand a foreign language without an interpreter at times. It's not like I ignore the manual either, it just seems to lack good examples of how to apply things to a real life situation. Much of what I do understand has come from posts you, Evil Dragon and others have posted in the forum.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:51 AM   #25
rictheobscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Aside from loading an instrument, using the output routing and kontakt mixer, and actually playing the instrument, I understand virtually nothing about Kontakt. That's not really bothered me much until recently when I was trying to do some more complicated tasks like applying the morphing envelope, and I must admit that trying to understand NIs way of working feels like trying to understand a foreign language without an interpreter at times. It's not like I ignore the manual either, it just seems to lack good examples of how to apply things to a real life situation. Much of what I do understand has come from posts you, Evil Dragon and others have posted in the forum.
Kontakt is like an onion, each layer you peel away is more tasty than the one before it.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #26
Tod

Quote:
Kontakt is like an onion, each layer you peel away is more tasty than the one before it.
Heh heh, that's good, and it pretty well explains it.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #27
Tod

If the upgrade half price for K5 is $119, what is it normally??

I couldn't find anything on their site about it.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #28
copacetic

Damnit, I wish I had the cash for Damage!
Old 07-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #29
Tod

Quote:
If the upgrade half price for K5 is $119, what is it normally??

I couldn't find anything on their site about it.
Our own EvilDragon posted this on NI. If that's the case then there's no deal for upgrades..

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
K1-4 to K5 upgrade is $119, which makes me think it stays at €99.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #30
Sibben

Afaiu the upgrade is not rebated...bummer.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #31
bharris

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Do they usually do a 50% off thing every year? So, last year was for the upgrade only?
I bought both the Komplete 6 and Komplete 7 upgrades over the past 2 years at 50% off. I don't recall if the deal was for upgrades only.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #32
rictheobscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
Damnit, I wish I had the cash for Damage!
Damage is the futhermuckin bomb. I paid full retail for it, but I am so stoked with it, that I don't even mind that I didn't get the sale price.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #33
copacetic

Quote:
Damage is the futhermuckin bomb. I paid full retail for it, but I am so stoked with it, that I don't even mind that I didn't get the sale price.
This is not what I need to hear.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #34
ivansc

99 euros....which is what my crossgrade to 4 cost me....
Is 4 to 5 worth doubling what I spent?
Hmmmm.... mostly I use K4 for third part libraries that dont play nice in the free player. And now SSD4 is standalone, independant of Kontakt....
Trouble is, what I really want is a good r 'n b soul funk horns VSTi or sample set.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #35
brainwreck

If orchestral samples are the bulk of Kontakt's soundbank, I wouldn't make much use of it. My main attraction to Kontakt is for slicing, dicing, and fucking things up, but also, a strong general set of instruments would be nice. Some of the sampled instruments in Reason are good enough for me, but many of them are kind of mediocre.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:57 PM   #36
boka

This is what I've been waiting for. Purchased Damage... normal price would have been really much.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:31 AM   #37
G.T.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerunZG View Post
Yes, $119 for K4 -> K5 for me too. Guess I'll go for it.
The upgrade price doesn't seem to affected by the sale (€99), or is it?

I was thinking of upgrading from 4 to 5 also, but as the library is essentially the same, with a few filter tweaks....????

Kontakt 6 should be announced soon and the upgrade from 4 to 6 should be about the same if NI stick to the pattern - although knowing my luck they might not!
G.T.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:11 AM   #38
Sibben

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T.D. View Post
The upgrade price doesn't seem to affected by the sale (€99), or is it?

I was thinking of upgrading from 4 to 5 also, but as the library is essentially the same, with a few filter tweaks....????

Kontakt 6 should be announced soon and the upgrade from 4 to 6 should be about the same if NI stick to the pattern - although knowing my luck they might not!
Same here. I'll wait.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #39
bharris

Agree - the only reason to upgrade Komplete 7 to Komplete 8, IMHO, is if the upgrade to Komplete 8 Ultimate is offered at 50% off.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:21 AM   #40
andysarchus

Quote:
One bonus to this deal, is that you can pick up Kontakt at a great price, and then when NI to offers one of their famous Kontakt / Reaktor to Komplete crossgrade super-deals, make the jump to one of the most comprehensive offerings in our wonderful little world.
Am I reading this right?

If I were to buy K5 now at the discounted price, I would be able to upgrade to Komplete at a bargain basement price sometime in the future?

This is very tempting for me, but not so tempting if the bargain upgrade doesn't materialise. What are the chances? Do NI do this every year?