Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 06-06-2017, 09:57 AM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default Any suggestions for the right VST for me?

Hi Everyone!

My name is Steven and I am new to Reaper. I am using Reaper to record on track 1 my background music and on track 2 my voice.

I have been investigate reaVoice and reaTune for creating harmonies in my music, but I also see that there are also plug ins that can help do that with a bit better quality than the ones built into reaper.

I am on full-time disability and do my singing just for fun, so I am on a major budget. I found a $50 choir plug in from sweetwater, but before I make that purchase, I was just wondering if anyone might be able to offer any suggestions as to any other low cost or maybe even free plug ins that might benefit me that offer just a step above the quality of what comes in reaper.

I would be grateful for your suggestions.

-Steven
Berkeley, CA USA
sjs94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:37 AM   #2
DarkStar

Which plug-in at Sweetwater?

I am not sure what you want the plug-ins to do. If you are looking for vocal FX specifically then check out iZotope's Nectar:
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/mix/nectar.html

MeldaProduction has several plug-ins that could help too:
https://www.meldaproduction.com/prod...yword=forvocal
Old 06-06-2017, 10:42 AM   #3
sjs94704

Default The VST I am considering ......

Here is a link to the VST at Sweetwater I am lookming into. It is a choir plug in so that when you record your voice into it, it creates the harmoy for you!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Choir

My goal is to have a VST that will help make it easier to harmonize with myself in the points through each song that I record.

Most of the other plug ins I have found are about @200 or so, one was $400! Yikes!!

Last edited by sjs94704; 06-06-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:05 PM   #4
ReaperMadness

Steven -

SAVE YOUR MONEY.

By the looks of it, this is going to be a disappointment for you. Here's a line from the description...

"At its core, CHOIR Evo is a unison generator..."

This tells me it's just going to give you a lot of the same pitch (likely with slight pitch-variation) to make it sound like a lot of voices singing the same note (NOT harmonies). THey DO have what you may be looking for at $200 - EVO Harmonizer

Better to save your hard-to-come-by dollars and learn how to overdub your own harmonies on adjacent tracks in REAPER. It's not difficult.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =

Last edited by ReaperMadness; 06-06-2017 at 01:15 PM.
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:22 PM   #5
slipstick

It might be worth buying a copy of Computer Music magazine and downloading Vielklang CM from their vault. I haven't tried it on vocals but several people have said that it works well.
http://www.musicradar.com/computermu...ng-2-cm-624931

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:46 PM   #6
sjs94704

Default not a good deal !

I don't want to have to buy magazines to get the free vst!
Old 06-07-2017, 04:10 AM   #7
haervo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
Here is a link to the VST at Sweetwater I am lookming into. It is a choir plug in so that when you record your voice into it, it creates the harmoy for you!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Choir

My goal is to have a VST that will help make it easier to harmonize with myself in the points through each song that I record.

Most of the other plug ins I have found are about @200 or so, one was $400! Yikes!!
There is no plugin that does the harmonies for you. You have to tell it which and what harmonies it should create. So in Reaper there is ReaTune and ReaVoice and what not to achieve that goal.

And to get to harmonies like e.g. Qzueen, Beatles, Beach Boys, CSN&Y and the like... you have to compose and sing that. No plugin ever will do that for you. Even not the most complex one. So listen to the advice given: save your money on this.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:28 AM   #8
dookus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haervo View Post
There is no plugin that does the harmonies for you. You have to tell it which and what harmonies it should create. So in Reaper there is ReaTune and ReaVoice and what not to achieve that goal.

And to get to harmonies like e.g. Qzueen, Beatles, Beach Boys, CSN&Y and the like... you have to compose and sing that. No plugin ever will do that for you. Even not the most complex one. So listen to the advice given: save your money on this.
Hmmmm yes...quite... Good advice HAERVO
Are you OK HAERVO Noticed you have not posted in the forums for a while
Hows Germany BTW?
dookus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:41 AM   #9
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by haervo View Post

Actually, there are several plugins that will 'smart' harmonize to an extent. Give you a 3rd and 5th above or minor 3rd above and 5th below and octave below and dom 7th on top, etc. Some will also stick with a particular scale, changing intervals as the melody moves. Simplest way to do it is to use a setting that gives harmony results you like and record it to a track. When you need to change the harmony do so and punch in. Save settings that work to use again. It's easier than automating program changes. I do this with the Melda Harmonizer. There's probably a free option out there that does the trick.

Last edited by vdubreeze; 09-01-2017 at 01:07 PM.
vdubreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:19 PM   #10
karbomusic

Any chance you could just sing them yourself? That will be the most rewarding. If you can sing the tonic, chances are you can sing the others.