Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 09-26-2016, 05:06 AM   #1
Chris Marquardt
Human being with feelings

Default MacOS 10.12 Sierra: App Translocation can cause issues with Reaper (SOLVED)

After updating to macOS 10.12 Sierra, I had a weird Reaper startup issue, as described in this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=181799

I FOUND A WORKAROUND - here's how:

I checked console during startup of Reaper:

default 13:27:49.552434 +0200 REAPER No Info.plist file in application bundle or no NSPrincipalClass in the Info.plist file, exiting
default 13:27:54.573758 +0200 lsd SecTranslocate: problem deleting translocation after app death: /private/var/folders/pj/12k8clzd41sfv1v84syvt_mw0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/1C9371A1-FE66-408A-9B6F-576A85CFF08C/d/REAPER64.app

So my initial hunch was right, there is an issue with macOS moving the app to another (random) place for security reasons, it's called App Translocation. Following this lead I found this article: http://lapcatsoftware.com/articles/a...slocation.html

Apparently when opening the Reaper DMG and moving both REAPER64.app and ReaMote64.app (using the macOS 64bit bundle here) using the provided Applications shortcut, this will for some reason trigger App Translocation and thus prevent Reaper from starting.

SOLUTION: create a new subfolder inside ~/Applications (any name will do) and move both Reaper binaries into it using Finder. This will disable App Translocation for Reaper and it will start up as usual.
Chris Marquardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:25 AM   #2
Chris Marquardt

Might be interesting for the Reaper team?

Here's a way for your app to detect if it was translocated:

http://lapcatsoftware.com/articles/d...slocation.html

This should help Reaper to at least throw a helpful error message.
Chris Marquardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:30 AM   #3
Justin
Administrator

We'll look at signing the dmg -- but it sounds as though moving the .app from the image to your Applications folder then it shouldn't trigger translocation... will investigate shortly.

Perhaps there's some file in your /Applications folder that is causing finder to think that that folder is a download folder?

Last edited by Justin; 09-26-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:29 PM   #4
Justin
Administrator

I'm not sure why REAPER wouldn't run for you using App Translocation. REAPER runs fine here using it (and those messages listed are very odd).

I did find something interesting, though: if you copy two applications from unsigned .dmg files (such as REAPER.app and ReaMote.app) to the Applications folder and run one of them, the presence of the other will cause Sierra to use App Translocation for both. The solution is to remove both, copy one (such as REAPER.app), run it, quit, then copy ReaMote.app, and run it. After doing that, both should run without App Translocation.

If I'm correct in this determination, then this is a pretty big flaw in the logic of how App Translocation is used-- it will probably end up triggering on many applications, if people install apps without running them immediately. Also, once App Translocation is tagged for an application, it looks like it is continued to be used indefinitely. I bet Apple will change this in 10.12.1.

Last edited by Justin; 09-28-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:16 AM   #5
Dewdman42

This keeps coming up every timer I have a Reaper update. Is there nothing that can be done to prevent this hassle?
Dewdman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #6
Justin
Administrator

Are you installing ReaMote.app along with REAPER64.app or just REAPER64.app? It seems if you have multiple new .app files in the Applications folder then GateKeeper gets annoyed.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:28 AM   #7
cyrano

Apple could fix the bug(s), maybe?

I just had an issue with the RME driver. Not a new driver, mind you. It had been installed for ages and was working well. I just updated the Totalmix app and got a message that I should go to system prefs and enable the kernel extension. Tried to, but the kernel extensions didn't show up there.

And I'm not even on High Sierra, I'm on Mavericks.

Console reported a number of SMCkey errors, resulting in sandboxing Core Audio. And almost every VST plugin on the system. No apps, tho. These were all running fine with internal audio and hardly any VST's.

I also don't know what resolved it. Made backups (TM) and archival copies first, as I suspected only a clean install would fix it.

Reset SMC, pram and booted from the recovery partition to fix permissions. Disk utility reported ACL's on a large number of folders, amongst which, the applications and libraries folders. DU fixed that. Nothing wrong with the disk itself. In the process of doing that, I rebooted OSX numerous times. I wanted to clean install, but couldn't format the disk yet, as the installer refused to run from an external disk and reported >36 hours for a netboot.

After that, I cleaned up a few unneeded kernel extensions (ZFS for Fuse and a few others). I moved a LOT of data out of the downloads folder, cleaned up VST's, audio and some other docs.

If I had to guess, I'd say the permissions problem caused all of this. The question remains why these ACL's appeared. The system was running fine before and I haven't installed anything lately, or messed with permissions. The one thing I have installed, was a sec update from Apple. That seems to have changed the way SIP works. But all of this is guessing on my part...

Just had a look at the Console. Just some iTunes errors, because it isn't connected to the store. Plays fine, though.

Ah well, OSX is resembling Windows more and more.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:31 AM   #8
Justin
Administrator

Signing our .dmg files might help too. I'll look at getting this done for official releases at least. Apple makes it difficult, though, since you can only sign these on macOS 10.11+, and our stock builds occur (for now) on a 10.9 system.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:40 AM   #9
Dewdman42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Are you installing ReaMote.app along with REAPER64.app or just REAPER64.app? It seems if you have multiple new .app files in the Applications folder then GateKeeper gets annoyed.
Yes I usually do drag them both over. I guess dragging them to the desktop first and then later to Applications works ok...I just always forget to do that.
Dewdman42 is offline   Reply With Quote