Old 10-16-2020, 12:10 PM   #1
sonictim
Human being with feelings

Default ScriptPack: Protools style Write/Glide Automation

Four commands I use ALL the time when working with Automation in Protools are:

Edit -> Automation -> Write to Current ( CMD + / )
Edit -> Automation -> Write to All Enababled ( OPT + CMD + / )
Edit -> Automation -> Glide to Current ( OPT + / )
Edit -> Automation -> Glide to All Enabled (SHIFT + OPT + / )

There's another great one for pan, but since Reaper doesn't natively support multichannel panning, I'm going to omit that for now....

For those of you who are unfamiliar with these, they are very similar to the action "Automation: Write current values for all writing envelopes to time selection"only they don't care anything about automation states. They just do it. Preview, read, write, latch... it doesn't matter.. it just writes the the value to the selection.

So I wrote a little 4 pack of scripts to recreate these behaviors, with a few REAPER twists of course..

Write Punch all VISIBLE envelopes to Time, RazorEdit, or Item Selection
Write Punch ALL envelopes to Time, RazorEdit, or Item Selection
Glide all VISIBLE envelopes to Time, RazorEdit, or Item Selection
Glide ALL envelopes to Time, RazorEdit, or Item Selection

As the names imply, they are smart and will give selection priority in the order listed (so, Time Selection first, then RazorEdit, Then Items).

I you aren't using bleeding edge dev versions with things like Razor Edits, don't worry, the script still works.

As Reaper allows for multiple lanes to be visible (Protools, for the most part, allows only one), I've adapted the functionality, as the name Implies to process all visible envelopes, so if you only want one envelope processed, only have one envelope visible.

This works on both TRACK and TAKE envelopes

SETTINGS:
There are 2 settings in the script you may want to tweak. Just click the script in your action list and chose "Edit action"

Check Edit Cursor - Enabled by default. If your edit cursor falls within the time selection, the value it will set, will be the value at the edit cursor... This allows you to set your edit cursor at the value you want to populate (again, that must fall within the time/razor edit/item selection)

Check Armed - Disabled by default - This will write your envelope points no matter if the tracks are armed or not... I wanted a script that would just do its thing, throwing all caution to the wind. But then I thought some of you might want a little checks and balances in your life, so I enabled this option. This ONLY works for Track Envelopes (well, it would work for take envelopes too) as they are the only envelopes that you can arm. Take Envelopes will always write no matter what.

DISCLAIMER:
I wrote these scripts for my own personal use. I offer no support. If you have any ideas or bug reports, please feel free to write about them in this forum, but I may or may not have the time or interest to act upon them.

I'm posting this as a pack here, but all 4 scripts can be found in my ReaPack repository and installed individually. I strongly recommend you install via ReaPack.

My ReaPack URL: https://github.com/sonictim/TJF-Scri...ster/index.xml

Last edited by sonictim; 01-24-2021 at 01:38 PM.
sonictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:32 PM   #2
Ice

Genius!!!
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:24 PM   #3
hans

thanks man!
hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:25 PM   #4
hans

the arm all envelopes script you made have really helped me.
thanks a lot!
Old 10-18-2020, 08:16 AM   #5
sonictim

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans View Post
the arm all envelopes script you made have really helped me.
thanks a lot!
Awesome. I’m glad it’s helpful for you!
Old 10-19-2020, 03:52 PM   #6
sonictim

Default V2.2 Update

I did some overhauling/Bug Fixes/Feature Requests......

# - AUTOMATION ITEM SUPPORT
I've added this... This works pretty well, but there is an issue where if your selection crosses the border of an automation item and your timeline, well, you might see some weird behavior. I understand what is happening, but in order to smooth this out will take some serious code overhauling, and I don't have the time to address this right now.

# - EDIT CURSOR BEHAVIOR
Now, if enabled, the written value will be from wherever the edit cursor is in your timeline (not just if it falls inside your selection). This works best with Track Envelopes. So you can set the edit cursor at a value elsewhere in your timeline and punch it in to your selection. I'm still working on a way to apply this better to Take Envelopes.

# - TIME SELECTION LOGIC IMPROVED
I realized the logic for Time Selection Processing was inconsistent, so here's how it works now...
When processing a time selection, it will process Only Selected Tracks. If no tracks are selected, it will process ALL tracks. The same for Take Automation. if Items are selected, it will only process on selected items. If no items are selected, it will process all take envelopes that fall within the time selection

# - SMOOTHING PARAMETER
I added a setting inside the script that allows you to adjust the fade time from your points. It was originally set to .01, but now if you want to adjust it, you can.

# - EDIT CURSOR EXTERNAL TOGGLE SCRIPT
I wrote a very simple toggle script (you must install it via reapack so it will work) called

"TJF OPTIONS - Toggle Check Edit Cursor for Protools Style Automation Write and Glide Functions.lua"

Long name, I know.. if you have this script installed, it will override the CheckEditCursor setting in each script. You can assign a tool bar button to this script and use it to toggle this setting on/off (or assign a hot key).
Old 10-19-2020, 05:12 PM   #7
TonE

Thanks for sharing all your scripts.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:47 PM   #8
sonictim

Default Latest Scripts

While I've updated everything to reapack, I've heard that the latest versions are not showing up for some people. I'm not sure why. So, I've attached them to this post. In order for the Edit Cursor Options script to work, it must be installed in the correct place, so I still advice you install that one via reapack.

Last edited by sonictim; 01-24-2021 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:41 AM   #9
hans

Would it be possible to have another script enabling all the envelopes aswell? The arm all envelopes only arms the enabled envelopes.

Tried
Activate Arm FX ParameterEnvelopes of selected tracks (except Bypass)
But this one enables all midi-envelopes as well when there are any availbable in a plugin, and that makes the computer really slow! Is it possible to make an exception for midi as well?

Last edited by hans; 10-25-2020 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:28 AM   #10
sonictim

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans View Post
Would it be possible to have another script enabling all the envelopes aswell? The arm all envelopes only arms the enabled envelopes.
These scripts in this forum post have the option to ignore whether the envelopes are armed or not. you can adjust this setting if you edit the script and adjust the options. The "CheckArmed" variable should be set to false. Then you can use the "write ALL" script to write to all your envelopes that have been created.

Quote:
Tried
Activate Arm FX ParameterEnvelopes of selected tracks (except Bypass)
But this one enables all midi-envelopes as well when there are any availbable in a plugin, and that makes the computer really slow! Is it possible to make an exception for midi as well?
This sounds like you are using a different script other than the ones referred to in this post... In all honesty, I don't understand what you are asking here... What is a midi envelope... Are you referring to envelopes for midi items? Or the fact that midi can control any envelope?

Either way, it doesn't matter. Currently, I don't have any extra free time to write scripts. All scripts on my reapack are for my own personal use. If you find something that helps you, I'm happy for you, but I offer no support, feature requests, or script requests.

Good luck!
Old 10-26-2020, 04:55 PM   #11
hans

Alright! I'll try there! Thanks!