COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 07-25-2005, 08:30 AM   #1
benbakelaar
Human being with feelings

Default how to sync with software

being that i mostly use samplers and sequencers, i wanted to find a way to jam with them on ninjam. so, solution 1, run your software on computer 1, and run the headphone jack to the mic jack on computer 2 which is running your ninjam client. i tried running the software on computer 2 and using "waveout" (windows client) but that seemed to re-route the ninjam stream itself back.

the problem i encountered with a simple drum beat sequencer is the sync. i can push play to the best of my hearing ability on the 1 click of ninjam metronome, but after 30-60 secs you can obviously hear that it is not in sync. this problem, as far as i can see, will apply to any sequencer. if i had real physical equipment, i could imagine ninjam somehow using midi to trigger/start the sequence. but for software, i'm at a loss...

i will mainly be using FLstudio 4, if anyone knows any other software that is more feature-rich or compatible with some protocol that will solve this problem, let me know! thanks!
benbakelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:34 AM   #2
benbakelaar

Default someone who is smarter than me...

would this work? of course it would have to be integrated into ninjam, but would this do the trick?

http://www.koen.smartelectronix.com/KTDrumTrigger/
Old 07-25-2005, 12:23 PM   #3
plasticmetal

We use software and hardware to sync to the metronome, it's tricky at first but it's like spinning records... just match the beat and walla! I like to use AbletonLive (software) for this because you can select the tempo box and press up/down (& shift up/down) on your keyboard to get the tempo back on when it seems off.

I'd imagine Ninjam will soon have a MIDI sync feature that will start a Clock signal to send to your soft/hardware.

I haven't ran into trouble were the Ninjam metronome and the hardware or software has become out of sync unless there is a 'drop' in the signal coming from the Ninjam server - I'm thinking this has something to do with bandwidth because it stops when users or myself stop transmitting more than 2+ channels.

- Oh, I don't think it's wise to be running Headphone outputs to Mic inputs on your sound card. Use the [Line In] on your sound card (assign it to Ninjams Input) and use the regular Output on your sampler/mixer/external hardware. Then assign Ninjams Output to your [Line Out] (or which ever jack your speakers are plugged into).
~
plasticmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 01:12 PM   #4
benbakelaar

can the MIDI sync trigger an 8 measure sequence *on* the NINJAM downbeat, or just the next beat?

thanks for the audio advice, actually my setup was laptop running software -> out headphones -> into mic on computer running ninjam. so the audio cards are just crappy OEMs. but i will use the line in from now on! good to know.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:25 PM   #5
plasticmetal

Maybe it should default to start your gear on Ninjams 1st beat of how ever long the BPI is...

I'd like to have the ability to start on any of the beats too, that would be nice...
~
plasticmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:22 PM   #6
MarkFrancombe

Default Theres midi synch??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbakelaar
can the MIDI sync trigger an 8 measure sequence *on* the NINJAM downbeat, or just the next beat?
Er... Are you trying to tell me that theres midi synch built in to this thing???? Can somebody explain this??? If I take a midi out of my comp when Ninjam is running do I get midi clock at the ninjam bpm... OH MY GOD, WHY DINT ANYONE TELL ME????

We at LoopersDelight.com just had a festival in Santa Cruz, where there was one live player and 2 ninjammers from around the world... it ROCKED... in a somewhat non rocking and loopy way.. but Im sure NONE of these looping geeks, myself included were actually SYNCHED!!! WE JUST ROLLED ALONG!!!

Im obsessed with synch and this is new to me...

markfrancombe
MarkFrancombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 04:41 PM   #7
Brennan
hey man

The Wasabi-based client has some support for MIDI clocks. It's available at the bottom of the Downloads page. I forget if the other Windows client has it or not. Hope this helps!

Brennan
Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 02:13 PM   #8
AndyMc

I tried that client but I think maybe its in programming stage as it didnt seem to send any sync or start stop messages out.
Hope soon it will be fixed though or added.
I used a midi layer to route the signal to cubase but cubase wouldnt see any signals being sent from Wasabi and the layer didnt show any activity from wasabi either.
So either something is wrong for me or it isn't complete yet?
AndyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:39 PM   #9
neovalis

Default I've cracked the code

I have a setup that is working perfectly for locking ninjam to external gear.

There are instructions you must follow in this post http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=83757
to get midi clock sync to work correctly in the wasabi version of ninjam.

In my case my Elektron Octatrack has no funtioning nudge controls while using external midi clock so I bought a Sync-Shift http://www.innerclocksystems.com/New...hift MKII.html
now i can make fine adjustments to lock perfectly to ninjam.

I've setup a set of ninjam servers on a dedicated server aimed toward electronic and experimental music with 8 bar phrasing and started a website at http://attenuate.us

See you there!
-Matt G

Last edited by neovalis; 04-10-2015 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Corrected Link
neovalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #10
LeoNelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
The Wasabi-based client has some support for MIDI clocks. It's available at the bottom of the Downloads page. I forget if the other Windows client has it or not. Hope this helps!

Brennan
I agree.
LeoNelson is offline   Reply With Quote