Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-28-2006, 04:35 PM   #1
Justin
Administrator

Default I took a little vacation from my vacation -- 1.34a1...

so my hand is doing a lot better, and I'm heading out for the real part of my vacation soon, so in the mean time I did some big updates to MIDI in reaper.. specifically, I reworked it so you could optionally (and it is now the default) have the MIDI data for new items stored in the project.

This has numerous advantages, but if you want to use the old way of creating .MID files, you can enable it in prefs/media.

Currently, if you insert an existing midi file, it will be added as a reference to the .mid. Coming soon will be an option to copy that data into the project as well.

Here's the whatsnew.txt update:

+ initial midi-stored-in-project functionality (optional)
+ midi editor: export to .mid
+ prefs option (default) to create new MIDI items as events rather than files
+ midi open copy length fix (still not perfect (needs fixing) but usually very close)
+ fixed apply fx and open copy for items that lack filenames (i.e. click source etc)
+ fixed undo state changing on apply fx to item

+ NOTE: there is still a lot of stuff planned to be added and fixed in this overhaul, this is just a preview
things coming: fixing midi issues as far as noteon/off as well as length fudging, a better (gapless, among other things) MIDI overdub recording mode, MIDI editor improvements

and here is the installer: http://reaper.fm/files/reaper134alpha1-install.exe

-Justin
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:05 PM   #2
Roner
Human being with feelings

Hey, this is great news!! MIDI items are sooo much more handy to work with. Looking forward to test this out properly. In this renewal of MIDI, I hope you also could implement a consolidate feature for easy glueing together new midi items. Anyway, thanks!! and enjoy your holiday (get away now! the requests will never end )
Roner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:11 PM   #3
msly

Thank god... I was tired of hearing the Midi Freaks bitchin LOL
msly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:25 PM   #4
TerryW

Great to see that you not forgot the midi users.
I take this opportunity to ask for some requests:
* Import midifile and split/explode by channel.
* In midieditor: hold ctrl while click and drag a event copies the event (very usefull).

Happy Reaping.
TerryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:54 PM   #5
hitman8081

hi justin, potentiual reaper user here. reaper is responding very slow for me. when i press, it takes about 4 seconds to respond. do you have any idea how to fiz this?
hitman8081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:00 PM   #6
Jae.Thomas

hitman -- let the man vacate!!!!

hehe

anyway there some other issues here when you have time

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3389

but jeez, enjoy your vacation man!!!!

thanks for the tons of work, i think reaper may certainly be coming along for me
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:09 PM   #7
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman8081
hi justin, potentiual reaper user here. reaper is responding very slow for me. when i press, it takes about 4 seconds to respond. do you have any idea how to fiz this?
Strange.. what audio driver are you using?
Old 10-28-2006, 08:16 PM   #8
akoustic

+ 1 to complete a well deserved vacation... there have been more updates in the last 6 months than some companys do in years.

hitman, i think your issue could be driver related especially if its asio/dma conflicts... try direct audio on your systms mobo... i.e. the al' cheapo audio to see if it is driver related - i had similar issue with my Lynx and had to revert back 1 rev.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:20 PM   #9
lossfound

I had a similar issue to Hitman's with sudden system slowness and several seconds worth of hesitation on record / playback start going from 1.30 to 1.32, but I'm not convinced that it's due to anything other than my laziness / unwillingness to reboot my desktop machine. If it continues I'll report back; REAPER has been running swimmingly on the same machine since 0.8x something, until now.

More props to Justin, and we all look forward to what's coming up with MIDI.
lossfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:35 PM   #10
Jae.Thomas

wow, working really great but...

is there a way for the midi clip to show a different name after you copy it like clip 2/2a or something? take 2/2 then take 2/2a
and they are both "untitled midi event" what about renaming quickly?
Old 10-29-2006, 01:25 AM   #11
Art Evans
Mortal

Since 1.30 (??) Reaper starts somewhat more slowly than before, but still faster than most, but thereafter seems as responsive as ever - here, anyway.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 06:38 AM   #12
alpoman

[QUOTE=Justin]so my hand is doing a lot better,

Hey Justin, Is that your mouse hand that is suffering from rsi? I had that a couple years ago and rest is the best thing for sure- When doing lots of coding/gaming I rest my arm on my keyboard drawer at the elbow, keeping my mouse wrist straight with my forearm. This almost completely reduces fatigue for me and allows me to work for long hours. You probably already know this, so have a great vaca!

Andy
alpoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:57 AM   #13
Justin
Administrator

[QUOTE=alpoman]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
so my hand is doing a lot better,

Hey Justin, Is that your mouse hand that is suffering from rsi? I had that a couple years ago and rest is the best thing for sure- When doing lots of coding/gaming I rest my arm on my keyboard drawer at the elbow, keeping my mouse wrist straight with my forearm. This almost completely reduces fatigue for me and allows me to work for long hours. You probably already know this, so have a great vaca!

Andy
Nope, was my left thumb.. from too much using it for ZXC/Ctrl/Alt I think
Old 10-29-2006, 11:57 AM   #14
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans
Since 1.30 (??) Reaper starts somewhat more slowly than before, but still faster than most, but thereafter seems as responsive as ever - here, anyway.
If you want to determine which version has the big difference I'll take a look

Maybe it's time for a splash screen, ha ha
Old 10-29-2006, 12:24 PM   #15
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
If you want to determine which version has the big difference I'll take a look

Maybe it's time for a splash screen, ha ha
Actually, Art, try disabling ReaMote in the prefs.. I think ti will slow down startup, if enabled..

-Justin
Old 10-29-2006, 12:29 PM   #16
malcolmj

Hi Justin,

This looks like a very promising start. Saving the MIDI data as part of the Project looks like the answer to quite a few of REAPER's MIDI issues. I particularly like the fact that the MIDI editor now saves the events by default instead of creating a new MIDI file for each edit. Great to see that the "Take" functionality is still retained as well.

Two improvements I'd suggest at this stage:

1. Can the "Open item copies ..." be the default behaviour for MIDI edits? I record most of my MIDI as live Takes then cut it up into Items for each section of the song. The next thing I'd usually want to do is edit the Items in the MIDI editor, so I'd rarely want to open an Item at the third Chorus (for example) and have all of the notes from the original Take still there.

2. Can you make the "Send Clock/SPP to output" default for MIDI outputs (in device setup)? I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't want this enabled by default when you enable an output.

Great to see the MIDI revamp finally underway and I look forward to further improvements. Let me know if you need any help understanding the definition of "Vacation" ...

Cheers,

Malcolm.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 12:34 PM   #17
olzzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmj
Hi Justin,

This looks like a very promising start. Saving the MIDI data as part of the Project looks like the answer to quite a few of REAPER's MIDI issues. I particularly like the fact that the MIDI editor now saves the events by default instead of creating a new MIDI file for each edit. Great to see that the "Take" functionality is still retained as well.

Two improvements I'd suggest at this stage:

1. Can the "Open item copies ..." be the default behaviour for MIDI edits? I record most of my MIDI as live Takes then cut it up into Items for each section of the song. The next thing I'd usually want to do is edit the Items in the MIDI editor, so I'd rarely want to open an Item at the third Chorus (for example) and have all of the notes from the original Take still there.

2. Can you make the "Send Clock/SPP to output" default for MIDI outputs (in device setup)? I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't want this enabled by default when you enable an output.

Great to see the MIDI revamp finally underway and I look forward to further improvements. Let me know if you need any help understanding the definition of "Vacation" ...

Cheers,

Malcolm.
if you send Clock/SPP to some USB midi interfaces using the Microsoft Generic driver, the hole system slows down.
So it´s probebly best that it is off unless needed, cause it´s hard to know that the audio is slowed down because of this.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:27 PM   #18
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Nope, was my left thumb.. from too much using it for ZXC/Ctrl/Alt I think
Take it easy, man! We'll struggle by with what you & Christophe have given us. I might also highly recommend the Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard 4000. The first MS keyboard I ever liked, and I don't have tendon troubles since using it.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:52 PM   #19
winbe

Yes, but it seems it was useful: we have been heard !!
Thankkkkss Justin.

I did not have time to try, my 6weeks old Elisa is at the hospital right now Nothing serious, but I don't have inspiration to make music, and I spent the whole week-end there.

Justin, your brain can never stop working ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msly
Thank god... I was tired of hearing the Midi Freaks bitchin LOL
winbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:24 PM   #20
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by olzzon
if you send Clock/SPP to some USB midi interfaces using the Microsoft Generic driver, the hole system slows down.
So it´s probebly best that it is off unless needed, cause it´s hard to know that the audio is slowed down because of this.
Ah, thanks for the tip. Bad Microsoft.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:36 PM   #21
Art Evans
Mortal

Hey, Winbe, Thoughts for your little one come to you from Australia.

Justin, turning off ReaMote does seem to speed the program start up - subjectively, deleting the remote addresses speeds it further, but it's a bit hard to really tell if the program is reloaded from memory rather than disk the second time (or whatever it is that happens) - if I come to any conclusion re earlier versions being faster I'll post again.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:37 PM   #22
Justin
Administrator

art, try this one:

http://reaper.fm/files/reaper134-splash.zip

(extract over 1.34alpha1)

has a nice splash screen to tell you what's going on.. maybe you'll see where it's spending too much time..
Old 10-29-2006, 06:49 PM   #23
kilroy

Nice touch Justin !
kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:11 PM   #24
Justin
Administrator

OK tweaked the splash init process, and Christophe changed the font, and it's in 1.34 (public) on the page... now I get out of here =) be back in a while...
Old 10-30-2006, 02:27 AM   #25
Dstruct

Quote:
OK tweaked the splash init process, and Christophe changed the font, and it's in 1.34 (public) on the page... now I get out of here =) be back in a while...
is there an option to disable the splash-screen?
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:41 AM   #26
olzzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandruff
is there an option to disable the splash-screen?
Why on earth should it be necesary with such an option.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:46 AM   #27
Dstruct

why on earth do i need it? here this thing opens and closes that fast, that it's a waste to display it at all!
Old 10-30-2006, 06:19 AM   #28
Jae.Thomas

doesnt matter to me -- it opens just as fast so who cares...

at least the minor delay is explained now

scanning vsts *

initia....

open.

*(which btw, does it need to at startup? -- could be nice to have an option to shut this off, after all there still is room in plugins/vst page for tons of options hehe),
Old 10-30-2006, 06:36 AM   #29
manning1

i dunno why some folks have probs with reaper timing load up here. maybe oodles of plug ins.
so i tried the version sans splash on a very old clunky pc
(1.33 i think)..and it opened faster than i can say silicon computers....lol.
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:53 AM   #30
olzzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill

*(which btw, does it need to at startup? -- could be nice to have an option to shut this off, after all there still is room in plugins/vst page for tons of options hehe),
AFAIK you can turn scanning on startup off. Then you just need to manually rescan, if you get new plugins. Haven´t tried it myself though.

BTW, i think it would look better if the VST scanning was below the splash screen and not on top of it.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:58 AM   #31
Jae.Thomas

i only remember seeing an option for disabling DirectX scanning....

I still dont see it after looking again, not for vst anyway.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:28 AM   #32
kilroy

The vst scanning should be displayed in the status line of the splash screen (with the %done)... not in a different window imho...
kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:35 AM   #33
Dstruct

imo both (splash and scanning window) should be replaced by a status-bar ...
Old 10-30-2006, 09:22 AM   #34
chip mcdonald

What would be visibly more useful would perhaps be a "bar graph" reading left>right (or up/down), with a listing at the bottom of each process being loaded. That way after something loads you have a moment to look at what it was <G>.. not to mention, you'd know where in the loading process you were.

Not that it matters, Reaper loads fast. Still, for my inner geek it would be cool...
Old 10-30-2006, 12:07 PM   #35
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy
The vst scanning should be displayed in the status line of the splash screen (with the %done)... not in a different window imho...
having it in a sep window has the advantage of being easily cancelable, tho..

at any rate, the splash is mostly there to let you know what's going on, and if something takes a long time to init, so you know what to blame.

but on all of my systems anyway (even slow old laptop), after the initial plugin scans, it starts WAY fast... compared to any other host I have... OK FL studio goes about as quick too...
Old 10-30-2006, 12:11 PM   #36
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandruff
why on earth do i need it? here this thing opens and closes that fast, that it's a waste to display it at all!
Well it doesnt cost much to display it.. I'll add an option eventually..
Old 10-30-2006, 07:41 PM   #37
Art Evans
Mortal

Splash screen? What splash screen? Ah, I see it's been added in the new version. Well, if it's gone by the time the interface has fully drawn, no problem. Will try....
Old 10-30-2006, 07:43 PM   #38
Dstruct

Quote:
I'll add an option eventually..
that would be nice