Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 06-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
kailuamusicschool
Human being with feelings

Default Steven Slate Drums adds 1 meg to rpp!

Trying to knock down the freezing bugs when SSD and REAPER are used together. It feels so similar to the Revalver issues with REAPER, that I'm trying to work with both companies at once.

I'm getting freezing up of REAPER's GUI as severe as 30 seconds and more sometimes

Check out this rpp

http://www.pipelineaudio.net/shup/files//SSD-Freeze.RPP
kailuamusicschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
xphen0m

I often get a brief, five-seconds or so, freeze when closing the GUI and saving a project that contains SSD4. This is with version 1.093 though, I haven't tried 1.096 yet, but I would imagine it still exists.
xphen0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
kailuamusicschool

does it randomly freeze while you are editing and playing and stuff? (sound keeps playing but you lose control of reaper's gui)
Old 06-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
Mercado_Negro

Yeah, it's all the time it takes to REAPER saveS SD4 parameters in the .RPP. I hate that with a passion but I guess there's nothing Slate Digital can do about it. REAPER saves a arge chunk of data and it's even bigger if a kit loaded. The only wa to "minimize" this is by clicking on SDD4 "+" button and set the undo state to minimal:

It eases the pain but doesn't solve it completely
Old 06-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
kailuamusicschool

its happening between autosaves as well. Revalver only seems to do it during auto saves. Setting undo state to minimal doesnt seem to make any difference here. I'm hoping all the work Michael L is doing in getting revalver to knock it off might help SSD
Old 06-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #6
kailuamusicschool

I wonder how Superior Drummer 2 avoids this. I have no issues in that app, if only it had some longer toms
Old 06-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #7
danfuerth

Not sure but that is strange I avoid any app or vst or vsti that uses Ilok shit. That crap is stupit and that is why even Waves have dropped Ilok and have a better cloud/local management licencing to any usb jump drive.

I noticed that the issues with waves are dropping like a rock. I firmly believe that these iloks are causing a lot of issues and also remember it can cause crashes as well since the program actually keeps checking all the time if the moronic dongle is there.

Case and point when cubase sx 2 was cracked ( yes grabbed it to check)
The dongle crackers gave you an option to see the calls being made to the virtual dongle. HOLY CRAP!! if you ran the app for 1 hour you would have at least 400 calls or more calls during the Midi editor ( that was Steinberg's hidden trojan horse)

If reaper gets a dongle, it will get uninstalled.

If Waves dropped Ilok it's only a matter of time before the others follow.

SAY NO TO ILOK SHIT!!!!!

I like the Waves licencing as it finally properly treats customers not as just pirates but as good customers. I can use any thumbdrive off the shelf and load my waves licence on it.

Slate drums 4 dropped the ilok ( new software protection) just checked that so they may have some issues...........
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #8
Mercado_Negro

Wow, where did all that iLok bashing come from? None of the products mentioned here use iLok.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
kailuamusicschool

OK, big breaktrhough! Chosing "save minimal plug in states" in reaper does not help, but chosing "disable saving full plugin state" in reaper options kills all the interruptions completely!!!

Not that this is at all an acceptable fix, but it should shed some light into the problem
Old 06-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailuamusicschool View Post
OK, big breaktrhough! Chosing "save minimal plug in states" in reaper does not help, but chosing "disable saving full plugin state" in reaper options kills all the interruptions completely!!!

Not that this is at all an acceptable fix, but it should shed some light into the problem
Of course, that won't store any plu-in parameters in memory/project files which means: you won't save any setting in any plug-in so next time you open your project it won't sound the same, all parameters will be set to their defualt values. So, in short, don't use that, ever. That setting will piss you off (in fact, in SSD4 case, next time you open your project it won't even load the kit).

As far as I can see, there is no good solution for this problem in REAPER.... it just loves to store large chunks of data and sadly, all this data is needed to recall the plug-in state correctly.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
pipelineaudio
Mortal

The fact that other drum samplers can run just fine without this problem means its possible. I'm going back and forth with one of Slate's guys right now, I'm betting they figure out a fix
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #12
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
The fact that other drum samplers can run just fine without this problem means its possible. I'm going back and forth with one of Slate's guys right now, I'm betting they figure out a fix
Sure and I'd be really happy if they change the way they report parameters and samples to the host. Maybe other drum samplers report all that differently. The thing is I'm sure it won't be an easy fix because it could break things in old projects (in REAPER or other hosts). In any case, please let me know if you need my voice on that, I can re-open the ticket I submitted a while ago about this problem.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:25 AM   #13
ivansc

interesting stuff - so far I havent seen these sort of symptoms with SSD4 but at present I only have the EX version which is working OK now with the most recent bugfix.

We shall see....

I whined so much about all the assorted problems and delays etc that Steven apologised via email and promised me free upgrade to Platinum in recompense for all the wasted time and multiple several hour long downloads I had.

Still waiting over a week later for that upgrade but in fairness a public holiday in the US did intervene....

I will give him another week before I start whining again, but in the meantime what I have is working apart apparently from ONE missing tomtom unless I have misread the kit part list concerned.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:07 AM   #14
kailuamusicschool

Mercado, its been a while, but hopefully you could raise a bit of noise about this. The Revalver guy thinks that it could be the way revalver encrypts data to the RPP, so maybe there's a similar problem from slate.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:26 AM   #15
Nip

Quote:
I wonder how Superior Drummer 2 avoids this. I have no issues in that app, if only it had some longer toms
Have you tried adjusting the fade of these in SD2?
They might be ringing longer.

They might be tweaked that way by default.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:45 AM   #16
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Mercado, its been a while, but hopefully you could raise a bit of noise about this. The Revalver guy thinks that it could be the way revalver encrypts data to the RPP, so maybe there's a similar problem from slate.
Yes, I've explained the problem in detail to the Slate team and suggested a couple of ideas. They replied and said they were going to work on it for the next update (apparently it is also a problem in Nuendo).
Old 07-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #17
kailuamusicschool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nip View Post
Have you tried adjusting the fade of these in SD2?
They might be ringing longer.

They might be tweaked that way by default.
You can get them a bit longer, but theyre still massively damped as recorded, so they have that damped sound to them. 3M must have made a fortune in Duct Tape from these recording sessions
Old 08-28-2012, 11:22 PM   #18
Mercado_Negro

I just downloaded the 1.098 update and this seems to be fixed now. I'll test it properly tomorrow but so far so good Yay!
Old 09-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #19
pipelineaudio
Mortal

So far so good here too!!! Happy camper! Now fix Revalver
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote