Old 10-01-2007, 07:36 AM   #1
funkster1
Human being with feelings

Default Wanna see and HEAR a really funky bug in Reaper?

OK then, when I installed beta 13 I experienced the same odd behaviour as some others did, namely Reaper not being willing to open projects I had been working on earlier. When I tried to, Reaper simply crashed being halfway through the loading process.
After a few attempts and a fresh Reaper.ini, projects would eventually load and play, but with a never before heard crackling fest. When moving the slightest object on screen or hor./vert. scrolling it was unlistenable.

Here's a snippet of the crackling

This was a 'Live Render' of the Demo project while moving a few things around the screen. Where it's blank in the file, on project playback this would sound like you would slide the needle of a record player over your LP (vinyl). Horrible.

But the really funky stuff is still to come:
the little guy inside the Reaper engine decided to take over my MIDI output, preventing me from using it ("Your MIDI Output 'Delta-MIDI' could not be assigned" or something along those lines).
OK I said, still trying to play back the project.
Now on Start of the play cursor, Reaper send out a high pitched MIDI Note On event outta my hardware Synth, using the same MIDI output which I'm not allowed to use??? What gives?
But it's still getting better:
Selecting diff. tracks of the project, Reaper sends out a MIDI Note On on EACH track selection change. The lowest track given me the lowest MIDI note, going up in semi tones for each higher numbered track.
Luckily I was able to record this funky behaviour, as it sends out MIDI to my hardware synth, which I routed back into Reaper then:

Have a little Reaper MIDI Fun

I'm going to install beta16 later on to see if it fixes these bugs and will report back then. But I sure have NEVER EVER seen something alike. I mean, I know that computers can act a little funny on you sometimes but, come on, don't you mess with MY instruments, silly PC

Cheers
Raphael
ASUS Notebook N751 i7/4710HQ, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD Samsung // 1 TB HDD/7200 RPM (plus a couple of ext. drives), Win 8.1 fully up to date // Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, KORG Micro X, ROLAND JX-305, BEHRINGER BCR2000, ZeRO SL Mk II, KRK Rokit 5, AKG K171 MKII
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
Staccato

WOW WOW WOW
Old 10-01-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
Dstruct

could be related to http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6442
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #4
Billoon

Yeah...i noticed the display on my keyboard was flickering when doing stuff the other day, but didnt really check it out.

Just had a look with midiox...reaper is sending a few strange messages(pitchbend and sustain pedal) when hitting play and stop, and also when minimising to the taskbar.

Seems to go out on different/multiple channels each time i minimise...weird.
Billoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:29 AM   #5
funkster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandruff View Post
Dandruff, yeah, looks like it could be related somewhat.
I would also really welcome an option to disable MIDI preview on item moving and stuff. Dito for audio.

Billoon, did you log the stuff you were monitoring with MIDI OX?
Maybe you could send it to Justin to make him aware of that?
If I get some time tonight, I'll try to do the same (monitor and log MIDI behaviour via MIDI OX) and also send it off to him.

Cheers
Raphael
ASUS Notebook N751 i7/4710HQ, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD Samsung // 1 TB HDD/7200 RPM (plus a couple of ext. drives), Win 8.1 fully up to date // Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, KORG Micro X, ROLAND JX-305, BEHRINGER BCR2000, ZeRO SL Mk II, KRK Rokit 5, AKG K171 MKII
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:02 PM   #6
Tomek

Last edited by Tomek; 10-04-2007 at 08:11 PM. Reason: wrong thread...
Tomek is offline   Reply With Quote