Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 07-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #1
Mosaic Music
Human being with feelings

Default (5.980) - Snap Distance does not work for mouse modifiers left drag - marquee select

As the title says, snap distance (the tool in snap settings that sets a minimum distance for dragging ranges/marquee selections to avoid accidental drags) seemed to break in .979 for mouse modifiers/marquee select. I use "Marquee select items and time" quite a lot, and having the minimum dragging range from the Snap Distance setting was very helpful to avoid accidentally drawing small ranges when clicking. This still works for dragging a time range on the actual time ruler, but seems not to with the mouse modifiers and dragging on items or in the project window.

Last edited by Mosaic Music; 07-23-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Mosaic Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:48 PM   #2
Mosaic Music

Confirmed non-working as of .981.

To clarify, the 'snap distance' setting is not working for any marquee mouse selection done in the project area on Reaper for Windows, although appears to work on MacOS. Time ranges drawn in the timeline/ruler itself seem to still work with snap distance.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:41 PM   #3
Mosaic Music

Confirmed non-working as of .982-

For reporting bugs, is this forum considered the best means to do so, or is there an e-mail I should report them to?
Old 08-19-2019, 03:40 PM   #4
Justin
Administrator

Hmm I'm not sure that the snap distance ever affected marquee selections. That might be an interesting option, though, to allow adjusting the minimum marquee length? Is there a version where the marquee selection behaved a lot different?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:23 PM   #5
Mosaic Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Hmm I'm not sure that the snap distance ever affected marquee selections. That might be an interesting option, though, to allow adjusting the minimum marquee length? Is there a version where the marquee selection behaved a lot different?
Huh, interesting! I've been trying out and testing basically every major DAW lately, so I may have gotten the feature mixed up in my head with one of the others (I know Samplitude has the feature, so perhaps I mixed it up with that).

I'm not sure where I read it at, but I was under the impression that the snap distance setting in Reaper set a minimum distance that a time selection or marquee selection must be dragged before it actually registers as a time selection. I thought it was maybe 5.978 where I noticed this, but again, I could be wrong.

It's a very helpful feature as it prevents accidentally creating small time selections when clicking around quickly. Since I came from Samplitude and Pro Tools prior, I missed the 'area selection/smart mouse' style of editing that those DAWs had, so I have my own mouse settings set up like a 'smart mouse mode' with area selection, by having the top half time/marquee select, all of the cut/delete/copy/split shortcuts are context sensitive to the presence of a time selection, top half click is move edit cursor (cancelling time selection), and bottom half click/drag is just select/move items around (among other specific things in the configuration). It gives functionality nearly the same as a 'smart mouse tool' or area selection found in many other DAWs, which is great, but the only issue is that, since media item top half drag is 'marquee select items and time' and top half click is just 'move edit cursor to mouse cursor', it's really easy to accidentally create a time selection if my clicks aren't super clean, rather than just moving the edit cursor as intended.
Hopefully that all makes sense!