Old 10-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #1
babag
Human being with feelings

Default has anybody made a better toolbar solution?

i just had this experience and posted for a solution in the q&a forum:

Quote:
i had a toolbar set up for specific tasks. it had a lot of empty tool buttons used as spacers. they are all set as double-width text buttons. all i did was change three of the buttons to include text and an action rather than being empty 'no-op' spacers. same number of buttons. same spacing, i expected. not the case, though. once i put in the actions the layout changed and i can't get it back.

the toolbar was thirteen buttons wide and changed to twelve. no matter how i drag the corners i can't get the spacing back. it jumps from twelve to sixteen. i brought something like this up ages ago and it appears to still be the case that we can't define a layout for the tool buttons. i'd expect some sort of fixed grid would be a totally normal thing to have but i guess not.
i'm wondering, though, if anyone here in the scripting forum has posted a better toolbar solution. really, the only thing that bothers me is the lack of a fixed positioning of buttons. has anyone here made such a thing? it just seems stupid to me that making no changes to the number or positions of buttons should cause the grid to change.

thanks,
babag
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:23 PM   #2
todoublez

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
i just had this experience and posted for a solution in the q&a forum:

i'm wondering, though, if anyone here in the scripting forum has posted a better toolbar solution. really, the only thing that bothers me is the lack of a fixed positioning of buttons. has anyone here made such a thing? it just seems stupid to me that making no changes to the number or positions of buttons should cause the grid to change.

thanks,
babag
Hi, maybe u can get rid of the toolbar and choose to use RadialMenu instead ?
(which is a f**king masterpiece..)

Lokasenna's GUI library: http://mrw.so/54lIKk
Lokasenna's RadialMenu : http://mrw.so/54lHXW

the GUI library must be installed or the RadialMenu won't work.
for installing instruction, plz check the page I've provided above.
todoublez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
babag

thanks for the suggestion! much appreciated.

i've seen the radial menu and it seems very interesting. in my case, though, i'm trying to set up my toolbar to resemble the layout of a physical device so the radial menu wouldn't work.

i have a second keyboard set up to send macros and want to have my toolbar set up to look like the keyboard, roughly. problem is that, if i change the action for a button, the toolbar layout changes, even if i keep all of the buttons the same size.

thanks again,
babag
Old 10-22-2019, 10:55 AM   #4
todoublez

Quote:
thanks for the suggestion! much appreciated.

i've seen the radial menu and it seems very interesting. in my case, though, i'm trying to set up my toolbar to resemble the layout of a physical device so the radial menu wouldn't work.

i have a second keyboard set up to send macros and want to have my toolbar set up to look like the keyboard, roughly. problem is that, if i change the action for a button, the toolbar layout changes, even if i keep all of the buttons the same size.

thanks again,
babag
I’m actually quite new to Reaper lol.
Not really know how to solve yo problem.
But I can only provide u other options might achieve yo goal as well.
Since the Radial menu wouldn’t fit in yo case, perhaps u can try WRB from ReaperBlog.com, don’t know does it help or not. Cuz I never had a 2nd KB experience.
todoublez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:22 AM   #5
babag

actually, right now, i'm working on a solution using lokasenna's gui library for lua. so far i can get a single row toolbar and am trying to figure out how to add additional rows. that should solve the problem. not sure if it will slow the system, though. there will be a lot of buttons.

thanks again,
babag
Old 10-22-2019, 11:33 AM   #6
Lokasenna

Quote:
not sure if it will slow the system, though. there will be a lot of buttons.
The GUI only redraws things when it has to (i.e. you press one of the buttons down or let one up), so the number of buttons shouldn't matter much.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:46 AM   #7
MusoBob

How many rows do you need ?
You can download the ReaTrak GUI and modify it.

MusoBob is offline   Reply With Quote