Old 10-31-2006, 09:48 AM   #1
chip mcdonald
Human being with feelings

Default Unique Features Summation List

There needs to be a simple list of "Unique Features to Reaper". It should be differentiated from others DAWS, and that's the root of it...

For instance the "apply FX as new take", etc.. IMO Reaper's strongest asset are the different ways of doing things in a more efficient manner, it's hard to glean that from the "software release" blurb on the download page, and from the online docs.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:08 AM   #2
Jason Brian Merrill

this is a great idea for a list there are alot of things, but i think we could possibly be used to it by now, we're so spoiled.

i think one of the great features is the customizability of REAPER. we can decide just how a track will show up, in what state, and what not. That is great. The plugin scanning options are perfect, and no other host has this type of control.

theres tons more but ill have to play around a bit.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
olzzon

ATM i mostly work in ProTools, because of some jobs iīve got.
And i miss so many features from reaper.
ScrollWheel over faders.
Routing.
Fast input setup via Matrix. (itīs so fast when you setup input for 24 tracks)
Ripple edit on all tracks. PT can do ripple on one track, and then you can group tracks, but itīs nowhere as elegant as reaper. And you markers get screwed.
SHIFT-F iīve changed to select the FX-chain window for the selected track, and press "A", itīs way faster to use than, the submenu system PT to get an FX, especially when you have your favorites. It can be refined, i dream of open default folder, so that it can open my favorite list when i sel add fX, instead i need to select that folder every times.
Installation on all your machines, no need to move dongles, or any other copy protection, every time you wanīt to do some work somewhere else.
The take function, itīs a nice way to work, when combing vox.

This was a little for the list.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:04 AM   #4
d. gauss

all you really need on the list is:

a developer who LISTENS to customers/users needs and supports them in a more than timely fashion.

-d. gauss
d. gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:38 AM   #5
olzzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss

a developer who LISTENS to customers/users needs and supports them in a more than timely fashion.

-d. gauss
YEAH, thatīs the FIRST on the list.
and the SECOND, THIRD, FOURTH and FIFTH

+1000000
Old 10-31-2006, 02:34 PM   #6
Art Evans
Mortal

Apart from the unique features there are also the 'rare' features which would cost you a bomb to collect from the various apps which do have them too.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:40 PM   #7
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss

-d. gauss
The problem with this argument is people have to actually interact this way to really believe it...

also, it amazes me that people seem to think that support offered by large companies is better than small companies-- from my experience it is quite the opposite (from the mail order bacon place to the ISP I use, the smaller businesses seem to really be much more of a dream to work with)

-J (from UK)

P.S. something I started writing a couple months ago but never finished, talking about our process/ideals: http://reaper.fm/ssd.php
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:10 PM   #8
EnzymeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
The problem with this argument is people have to actually interact this way to really believe it...

also, it amazes me that people seem to think that support offered by large companies is better than small companies-- from my experience it is quite the opposite (from the mail order bacon place to the ISP I use, the smaller businesses seem to really be much more of a dream to work with)

-J (from UK)

P.S. something I started writing a couple months ago but never finished, talking about our process/ideals: http://reaper.fm/ssd.php
I can't speak for the rest of the forum, but this is exactly why I registered my copy of Reaper and support your company.

You are making a big difference! Keep it up!
EnzymeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:55 PM   #9
Jason Brian Merrill

its funny, but using a warez version of reaper is sooooo retarded because the trial version is totally untimlimited and uncrippled.

you could use it totally for free if you wanted, no one the wiser except you and your conscience. I dont really know of any other company who does this.

some may say (likely underinformed), sure, justin can "afford" it, but regardless of his financial standing, which is no ones business and does anyone really know anyway --- the thing is, every dev wants recognition for his work, knowing that people are interested, that people are tuning in -- and i know Justin is no different.

That being said, Justin has been very resposive to the needs of his user base. And by buying his product, you are showing your support of him and his work, which is, in turn supporting US, the musicians, engineers, producers, etc....

i think one of the best things is portability....

lets say you dont have your reg info with you.

no problem, it doesnt matter at all. Just download the <2 meg file from the website, and fire it up on any pc, and record. when you are done, take the work with you, and load it on your home/studio pc.

its just great.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:36 PM   #10
Art Evans
Mortal

Good manifesto, Justin. You're either a bit crazy or a bit special. I'd go for the latter.

Enjoy the UK. There's a little lad over there, my grandson, not a year old and I've not yet had the chance to get over and meet him (being too busy having fun with Reaper...) - his name is Arthur Evans. Really.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:56 PM   #11
glenn

Hi All!

Reading your manifesto, Justin, reminds me of a book I read about 20 years ago by the economist E.F. Schumacher entitled "Small is Beautiful". It truly is!
I've been reading the forums for the last 3 months and have witnessed a committed community doing amazing!!! work. Last week I paid for my licence - to show my support for this project.
Apologize for being slightly off topic.

All the best
glenn
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:04 AM   #12
Art Evans
Mortal

Here's an interesting sidelight on the whole business, including some of Justin's Thoughts in the link above:-

If you look on the Softpedia site, the most popular download is Cool Edit Pro 2.1 - 1,379,000 downloads. Reaper isn't ranked in the popularity list - it has 10,214 downloads.

Now given that CEP2.1 has been around for some years, of course it's cranked up more downloads than Reaper, but it's worth mentioning that it's been unlicensable for at least two years, so anyone downloading it now will need a cracked serial number or whatever after the demo trial expires.

Hopefully people will start to find that CEP2.1 (which, as memory serves me, doesn't support VST effects let alone VSTi instruments), is starting to look rather dated compared to Reaper, which is licencable and doesn't require you to step on the wrong side of the law (in many territories) to make it work for more than a month if you really, really can't pay for it.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:00 AM   #13
Art Evans
Mortal

Here's an interesting piece of history, which confirms what I heard someone say elsewhere (that Reaper now is like Cool Edit right at the start) -

This comes from the registration page of Cool Edit 1.32 which dates from about 1993 - 693Kb unzipped - which I just downloaded from a site preserving old versions of software -

Quote:
Demonstration Copy

Currently, you have the demonstration version of Cool Edit, which has 100% functionality on 2 function groups per editing session. If you wish to use
another function that is currently disabled, you must exit all instances of Cool-Edit, and re-start it to choose the functions you desire.

David Johnston
xxxxx xx 147th Place
xxxxx, WA 98019

I am considering US $20 - $25 a fair registration fee, although if you think it is worth more, then I will gladly accept more . If you register, you will be
sent a registration number that will unlock the software, allowing unlimited use of all functions all the time. Keep in mind that even though this product is
Share-Ware now, it may not always be that way, and you may be asked to purchase the full retail product instead (that is, if there ever is a full retail
product.)

You may include your internet address for a faster response.

If you have the Demo version, and want to Register, click Register below.
That version would run without payment, but you couldn't access all the functions at once - you had to exit and choose another function to run at startup.

Looks like Justin is following in a fine (and very successful) tradition, after a fashion.

[Edit - just came across this in the help file Q&A section -

Quote:
Q: How long did it take you to make this program?
A: It took me almost a year of programming in the evenings and weekends to produce what you see here. I had actually started writing some of the
waveform transformation functions six months prior when I wrote a DOS only version of Cool, which only worked with Sound Blaster files. I first
ported that functionality to Windows, then added on functions and features from there, and eventually ended up with this creation. The brainwave
function (Transform->Wave) was written around April to May of 1992, and eventually released to ShareWare in July of 1992. I experimented for
several months with different sound/relaxation techniques before finding the one which worked extremely well.
David was evidently not such a fast worker as Justin....

Last edited by Art Evans; 11-01-2006 at 04:58 AM.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:49 PM   #14
Spon

It must have been all that experimentation with relaxation techniques...
Spon is offline   Reply With Quote