Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-19-2006, 07:02 AM   #1
funkster1
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI data other then Note On/Off seems to get lost after edit?

Cheers gang,
I noticed when editing MIDI notes in reaper's editor and then saving the MIDI file, all my MIDI data seems to have gone (except note on/off). Previously recorded Sustain pedal or Pitch Bend data isn't there anymore, at least it doesn't sound anymore. I don't know what Reaper is doing to MIDI files, but in it's actual state to me MIDI seems totally unuseable. Except Note length, velocity and quantise there's nothing else we can do to a MIDI file. Even velocity edits are hard to do, since we have no numerical feedback of the values.No editing of controller data i.e. makes it hard to nicely modify MIDI data IMHO.
Also it would be nice to have some visual tools like a pen or whatever to edit notes. If you want to keep the right click menu, then maybe add a modifier key to allow such tools?
Just trying to give some thoughts about it, since I know that Reaper isn't there yet.

Regards
Raphael
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:33 PM   #2
Art Evans
Mortal

That's the problem with midi editor design/implementation - maybe it's a bit of an all-or-nothing thing. But it's early days, although the theoretic 'release' date isn't that far off now. One approach to software development is to set a point where the product is deemed "feature complete" and then spend a period of time simply dealing with bugs. If that's the plan, Reaper should be deemed feature complete fairly soon now.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote