Old 01-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
funkster1
Human being with feelings

Default Need advice for notation OCR

Hi there,

a few years back I tried a program for notation OCR (don't remember the name). Scan a page and convert it to useable/editable staves.
Unfortunately at that time I didn't understand all too much about notation and would like to rework some of this stuff today. I have a bunch of sheets that I'd like to scan and edit and then export to MIDI.

Are there still such programs around for not too much money?

Thanks for all your recommandations and tips guys.

Raphael
ASUS Notebook N751 i7/4710HQ, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD Samsung // 1 TB HDD/7200 RPM (plus a couple of ext. drives), Win 8.1 fully up to date // Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, KORG Micro X, ROLAND JX-305, BEHRINGER BCR2000, ZeRO SL Mk II, KRK Rokit 5, AKG K171 MKII
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:01 AM   #2
Dr Bob

Hey, seem to remember MIDIScan sort of worked.

db
Dr Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:03 AM   #3
KevinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkster1 View Post
Hi there,

a few years back I tried a program for notation OCR (don't remember the name). Scan a page and convert it to useable/editable staves.
Unfortunately at that time I didn't understand all too much about notation and would like to rework some of this stuff today. I have a bunch of sheets that I'd like to scan and edit and then export to MIDI.

Are there still such programs around for not too much money?

Thanks for all your recommandations and tips guys.

Raphael
I have used Smartscore (http://www.musitek.com/) with great success to convert sheet music to midi files. I only have the midi edition, with is $49. It has its limitations, but works for me.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
funkster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
I have used Smartscore (http://www.musitek.com/) with great success to convert sheet music to midi files. I only have the midi edition, with is $49. It has its limitations, but works for me.
Hell yeah, that's what it was called. Smartscore. Thanks Kevin.
I'll have to check out their website to see what the prices actually are.

@DrBob: Thanks for the mention. I'll investigate this MIDIScan thing.

Are there any others 'round maybe? In case Smartscore getting too expensive i.e.?

Thanks guys,

Raphael
ASUS Notebook N751 i7/4710HQ, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD Samsung // 1 TB HDD/7200 RPM (plus a couple of ext. drives), Win 8.1 fully up to date // Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, KORG Micro X, ROLAND JX-305, BEHRINGER BCR2000, ZeRO SL Mk II, KRK Rokit 5, AKG K171 MKII
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
msore

Default some options

Hey y'all, I just did a morning's worth of research on this question.

Of course, Google is shit search software and so you don't get good results without using time and brains to FIX and SORT through all the crap that Google gives you. Plus, Google prefers USA sites and shits on non-American URLs.

For what it is worth, here are my results, options:

Music Notation Software
www.nch.com.au/notation
Arrange and Compose your own music. Download Free Music Notation Editor

Music Publisher 8 by Braeburn Software
Music Publisher Scanning Edition (£174 or $249US) has the same features as the Standard Edition but also has the ability to take input from your scanner rather than typing in the music. Unlike most music software scanning packages it is seamlessly integrated into the Music Publisher system and does not need you to run other software. Just put some printed music on your scanner and you can capture the notation straight into the package.

MIDI Connections Scan is an ingenious PC program that lets you turn your printed music into a MIDI file. Once converted you can edit the MIDI file in the included MIDI Connections light program. You can even change the key and print the transposed music (for personal use only)

PDFtoMusic Music Scanner extracts music from PDF files. It exports to .msf format und MIDI format.

Photoscore, http://www.neuratron.com/photoscore.htm, June 2012.

Sharp Eye version 2. You'll find the necessary info on http://www.visiv.co.uk/.

Last edited by msore; 02-07-2013 at 03:03 PM.
msore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
msore

I am considering buying THIS product:

Music Notation Software
www.nch.com.au/notation
Arrange and Compose your own music. Download Free Music Notation Editor

Anyone know anything about them?
Anyone used it?

thanks
Old 01-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
pattste

I have checked out most of the music scanning solutions in the past. The best one that I found (by a wide margin) is Myriad's PDFtoMusic Pro. They have a free version that never expires and whose only limitation is that it will only scan a single page score. You can of course scan all pages separately and merge the resulting files.

The best format to move from one notation program to another is MusicXML. Most notation software can import and export the format. You will get the best results by saving the output of PDFtoMusic as MusicXML and importing into a notation program to make corrections. Only when you're done do you save as a midi file for use in Reaper.

For notation, the industry standard is Finale. They have a free version called Notepad which is reasonably powerful. I would consider it before something like NCH's Crescendo. In my experience, the entry-level notation software, whether they are cheaper versions of the popular titles like Finale or Sibelius or something else have annoying limitations that you run into pretty quickly. The comparison charts don't tell you everything.

You can check out Musescore which is a free notation software that is full-featured, though not quite as elegant as Sibelius or Finale (in my opinion).

Personally, I now use a program called Lilypond for everything. It is free as well. It offers (arguably) the best output in the business but it requires that you enter your score as text. It is not for everyone but once you get the hang of it, I find it just as productive as the competition. You can get excellent (and free) graphical frontends for it. I use Frescobaldi. The one major limitation of Lilypond for me is that it doesn't export MusicXML. It does export MIDI, however.
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
msore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattste View Post
I have checked out most of the music scanning solutions in the past. The best one that I found (by a wide margin) is Myriad's PDFtoMusic Pro. They have a free version that never expires and whose only limitation is that it will only scan a single page score. You can of course scan all pages separately and merge the resulting files.
Thanks pattste. My interest is NOT in notation, only in getting from scanned page to MIDI. I don't know why PDF format is required by a lot of these music applications. Same with XML. My scanner will DO it, but the whole idea of PDF is for text and page formatting, and music scores are almost completely graphical.

I will check out your suggestions. gracias.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
msore

Default my scans won't work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattste View Post
From Myriad's website I read this:

Because it only processes PDF files that have been exported from a score editor software, PDFtoMusic offers a unique reliability and outstanding results. Therefore, scanned sheet music cannot be managed by PDFtoMusic.

Darn.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
msore

Default SmartScore X MIDI Edition

I just bought this. Will report on it.

SmartScore X MIDI Edition offers nearly everything a musician or songwriter could ever want or need in MIDI software. Its tools and features are strong and its interface is clean. Best of all, its price is just right. With continual updates and changes being made to improve its performance and potential, SmartScore has the makings of a long-term investment and indispensable tool.

http://midi-software-review.toptenre...re-review.html