Old 01-23-2011, 06:40 AM   #1
effitall
Human being with feelings

Default Moving items...Quick Q...

I have two different desires when moving things with "snap" on. Sometimes I want to move TO the snap setting, and sometimes I want to move BY the snap setting.

Coming from SONAR, I know that it had settings for this that you could choose every time you moved something. I haven't seen an option for this in Reaper. It just always snaps TO whatever the snap setting is. Not surprisingly, if you move something out of the way to another section of the project while you're working on something, getting it back and in time can be...Well...Challenging.

If there's an option for this somewhere in Reaper, I'm all ears as I've been struggling with this for awhile now.

(My workaround has been to chop something at a bar line and trash any leading info before I perform a move)
effitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
gofer
-blänk-

In Reaper's snap settings it's called "Snap relative to grid".
I created a custom toolbar button for the action "Item edit: Toggle relative grid snap" that sits next to my snap button in the main toolbar.

There is also a "Snap offset" bar at the start of each item. It's that small triangle at the bottom left (cursor changes when you hover above that hitpoint). If you grab this bar and snap it to the next gridline (there are actions to do this without the mouse and for multiple items at once), the item will always snap to this offset. That's the way "move by" was done before relative snap was implemented.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
effitall

Thanks! I'll give that a try and see how it works.
effitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
Lawrence

One thing I like that might also be cool in Reaper is a momentary snap modifier, like holding down a key temporarily disables snapping for the event being moved and letting it go goes back to normal.

It doesn't actually turn off snapping in the UI, only for the edit while you hold down the key. Maybe already there somewhere though, dunno, couldn't find it.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
bradleyfilms

It's the Shift key. Hold it down whilst dragging a item, envelope point, etc.
Steve