Old 01-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
drjenk
Human being with feelings

Default Thank you Reaper devs

Hi,
I am a new Reaper convert, been using Sonar the last 10 years, and I feel compelled to congratulate the developers on this fine product.
I was on the Zoom forum (my interface is an R24), spotted a thread a few months ago "best free audio software". I downloaded reaper then. I had this thing sitting on my hard drive for the last 3 months, fired it up, closed it, went back to Sonar, more fighting with it, fire up reaper again, repeat. The more I fiddled, the more intrigued I became, especially since it was not crippled, I could actually see what the program is. I then downloaded the manual, and due to it's sheer quality and clarity, was utterly blown away by the features and the way they just make so much sense. I began making a project, and even though there's been a couple adjustments to my work flow and getting used to how to do things, it is so refreshing to have a seamless interface between my brain and my guitar. I just love how a track is just a track, midi, audio, bus etc. And just double click on the side and boom there's a new one. And how vst's are essentially "inserts" on a track, makes too much sense! And how folders work, they actually function as little submixes. I could go on and on, there are dozens more things as I read the manual. So I forked out the cash and I am learning more and more, and feeling more inspired to write music than I have in years, because I don't feel I am wrestling my daw.
Again congratulations on such a fine product. My only request is that you do not rush updates out to sacrifice stability like Cakewalk does. It is just a creativity killer. This things has been so rock solid I am blown away and I don't want that to go away.
Cheers
David J.
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
shawnguess

but it should be noted that REAPER is NOT free -- people who use it should buy a license. the price is more than fair and support should be shown for these guys.
shawnguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
EricM

Welcome to forums David.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post
My only request is that you do not rush updates out to sacrifice stability like Cakewalk does. It is just a creativity killer. This things has been so rock solid I am blown away and I don't want that to go away.
Don't worry, from what I've seen in the last year and a half
of active participation here, they actually push out updates
that include only bug fixes, code optimization, increased
performance etc.

Which I would expect from any dedicated developer, but find
it fascinating in a DAW market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnguess View Post
but it should be noted that REAPER is NOT free -- people who use it should buy a license. the price is more than fair and support should be shown for these guys.
I think when people open the program get that note pretty quick

e
Old 01-23-2011, 01:56 AM   #4
G-Sun

Welcome to Reaper
(and +1 for the "Thanks!")
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
Mr. Data

Hi Drjenk and welcome to Reaper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnguess View Post
It seems to be a common misunderstanding that, because Reaper isn't crippled after the 30 day trial period, it's free. It isn't! It's a sales model that's to a great amount built on trust. Trust in the user. And how the users are treated by the devs in these forums, most of them feel somewhat "at home" here and not like part of a nameless mass that only exists to pull money out of it and has otherwise to be treated like a bunch of potential thieves.

So I can just underline your thanks, Drjenk.

-Data
Old 01-23-2011, 11:17 PM   #6
drjenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Data View Post
It seems to be a common misunderstanding that, because Reaper isn't crippled after the 30 day trial period, it's free.
-Data
I think they've got it pretty covered with the annoying popup at the beginning, I'm sure it's quite clear to everyone using it that it is not intended to be free. Unfortunately I am sure there are a few users who just won't pony up the cash (as with any DAW, pirating is alive and well), but I think their model of uncrippled "demo" software results in more end sales for them. I'll bet most people are like me in that they just want some time to evaluate the real thing, work on a project, save it, come back, and see it through, before paying. Even people that don't pay right away because they don't have the cash, will get hooked, and when they have the cash, they'll pay. My guess is that the end sales as a result of being able to fully evaluate the product with no time limits more than outweighs people taking advantage of it. There are many more honest people than there are crooks (I hope).
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote