Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

View Poll Results: Is this feature bennificial to both sighted and blind users of REAPER for arrangement
Yes 21 100.00%
no 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2018, 03:02 AM   #1
blindwiz
Human being with feelings

Default Adding Reaper Native actions for copying-pasting-duplicating regions with keyboard

Have Reaper native actions that allows the selection, copying, pasting and duplicating of regions. This will allow us blind users to copy and move these regions with its enclosed items with the quarty keyboard or a midi control surface, depending on how we want to bind the action.

Yes, we can copy selected area of items across individual and all tracks and paste across the timeline, but the regions method will allow for easy arrangement and experimentation.

The current method of moving regions is via dragging regions with control left click, which is not doable with screen reading software at the moment and would be inefficient

How it can be added.

We can have these as individual actions:

action: copy currently focused region and its included items (all types of items both media and midi)

action: paste region with its included items (all types of items both media and midi)

action: duplicate currently focused region with its included items (all types of items both media and midi)

as for the copying of regions it can be added to the already existing smart copy action.

Smart copy: Edit: Copy items/tracks/envelope points (depending on focus) within time selection, if any (smart copy)

command ID: 41383

This can allow for the selection of multiple regions from the keyboard within a time selection.

The other copy action that ignores time selection will work fine as well.

Region selection.

We can currently move to different regions with alt+"top numbers roll" and can play next or prior region with SWS actions. , But, we do not have actions for move to next or prior region.

So, in order for this to work we need a move to and select next or region while keeping prior region selected for pasting and moving multiple regions.

Lastly it would be great if it can respect ripple state.
blindwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:03 AM   #2
vitalker

Yes, for me it will be extremely useful! Reaper should have all the actions to control everything using keyboard only. +1
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:48 AM   #3
Scottsdale

I'm in touch with a fair few users who would use this functionality for arranging on the fly during live DJ sets. Big +1 here.
Scottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:03 PM   #4
ReaProducer

this would be great. T
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindwiz View Post
Have Reaper native actions that allows the selection, copying, pasting and duplicating of regions. This will allow us blind users to copy and move these regions with its enclosed items with the quarty keyboard or a midi control surface, depending on how we want to bind the action.

Yes, we can copy selected area of items across individual and all tracks and paste across the timeline, but the regions method will allow for easy arrangement and experimentation.

The current method of moving regions is via dragging regions with control left click, which is not doable with screen reading software at the moment and would be inefficient

How it can be added.

We can have these as individual actions:

action: copy currently focused region and its included items (all types of items both media and midi)

action: paste region with its included items (all types of items both media and midi)

action: duplicate currently focused region with its included items (all types of items both media and midi)

as for the copying of regions it can be added to the already existing smart copy action.

Smart copy: Edit: Copy items/tracks/envelope points (depending on focus) within time selection, if any (smart copy)

command ID: 41383

This can allow for the selection of multiple regions from the keyboard within a time selection.

The other copy action that ignores time selection will work fine as well.

Region selection.

We can currently move to different regions with alt+"top numbers roll" and can play next or prior region with SWS actions. , But, we do not have actions for move to next or prior region.

So, in order for this to work we need a move to and select next or region while keeping prior region selected for pasting and moving multiple regions.

Lastly it would be great if it can respect ripple state.
ReaProducer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:59 AM   #5
Aleskis

Those actions could make REAPER more efficent for everyone using keyboard. Thanks for pointing it.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:07 AM   #6
Xenakios

+1 for this, I was surprised to rediscover recently there are no actions for manipulating the regions and that they can only be handled with the mouse.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:13 AM   #7
Kara Louise

Old thread I know, but I thought I'd bump this up since nothing has been done about this yet to my knowledge. Having actions for region manipulation would be fantastic.
Kara Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:10 AM   #8
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Louise View Post
Old thread
Feature requests are never old
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:24 AM   #9
Meo-Ada Mespotine

And a +1 for me as well. Anything that makes accessibility better is very welcomed.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:33 PM   #10
Beastmode Beats

I ran into this issue today, and I agree these mouse modifier actions need to be added to the actions list for copying regions, especially "paste region at edit cursor", "copy region within current time selection", and "select current region in current time selection". I'm frustrated because items can't always be pasted on the same tracks you copied them from, sometimes the items are pasted on the wrong tracks and it has been years and they still haven't fixed it!
Beastmode Beats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:59 AM   #11
Steviebone

+ 1

moving/copying regions in reaper especially in a large project with many regions and tracks is a pita. And the apparent lack of actions for it makes it even more tedious and error prone.
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:05 PM   #12
Scottsdale

Not seeing much "actions" in this thread yet...

...see what I did there, did ya?

Boom.

Ok fine, bump.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:22 PM   #13
mattymc2

Also adding to this. This would be beyond useful! Pleeeeeeeeeeease.
mattymc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:59 PM   #14
leroik

I was like, why can't I copy a Region? I tried Ctrl+Left Click and drag - nope - not a thing. Cockos, please add the option to copy a region.
leroik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 04:54 AM   #15
robotron

Big +1 bump on this from me. It's one of the few things that sends me back to the old mouse and screen mid-jam now.
robotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 05:08 AM   #16
Scottsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotron View Post
It's one of the few things that sends me back to the old mouse and screen mid-jam now.
IMO, in 2022 mice should be allowed to enjoy full length jams unmolested.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:35 PM   #17
Mundo

Copy paste region to cursor location with all items, envelopes, tempo changes, and having it obey Ripple on/off status would be a great feature to add.

I was actually looking for a Script that could accomplish this a few days ago. So far as I can tell, the closest thing is "cfillion Paste project markers and regions at edit cursor." Except all it copies is the regions and markers and ignores items, envelopes, tempo changes, and everything else.

Last edited by Mundo; 05-30-2022 at 11:57 AM.
Mundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:18 AM   #18
Justin
Administrator

Adding actions to move/copy contents of time selection to edit cursor
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 05:31 AM   #19
HighVoltage

Haha, the very first custom action i ever made in Reaper ~13 years ago was this.

Time to retire the old bastard.
HighVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:54 PM   #20
Mundo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Adding actions to move/copy contents of time selection to edit cursor
Hey thanks for the response. I just noticed that this feature was added in the latest patch. It works great. Thanks times 1000.
Mundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 04:06 AM   #21
_Stevie_

I noticed a bug in the actions. Copy works as expected, but move doesn't.
The move action will move the END of the TS to the edit cursor, instead of moving the TS start to the edit cursor.