Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 10-16-2022, 05:31 AM   #1
SymboliC
Human being with feelings

Default Record Faders only to Envelope Lanes not MIDI Lane

Hi,

It's been quite a while since I've recorded something real-time so I can't remember if this is/was possible at all.

I'm recording MIDI on a track with my MIDI keyboard and also playing around with CC1 and CC11 faders to give some expression etc.

The thing is I can record CC1 data to ReaControl MIDI Envelope lane, however, it also records CC1 data to relevant MIDI lane inside the MIDI Editor. So I have to open MIDI item in editor and select that MSB lane and clear the data manually each time I record something.

Actually I also have a button in arrange view that clears the unnecessary MIDI events other than notes but this is again a 2 step thing to do and besides that I don't always want to clear whole data since I'm also using reaticulate from time to time which writes some artic changes on some MIDI items.

So, is it possible to disable the recording of fader movements directly inside MIDI lanes so that it only records CC1 to MIDI track's relevant ReaControl MIDI Envelope Lane?

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2022, 06:18 AM   #2
Holzwurm

Can you set your controller device's fader to send on a different midi channel than the notes? If so, I think you could, for example, set the track input to midi>your controller>channel 1 and bind the reacontrolmidi parameter "cc11" to ,say, CH 16 cc 11.
But I can't try at the moment so forgive me if that doesn't work.
Holzwurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 07:23 AM   #3
DarkStar

Try the attached JS FX as an INPUT FX.

You can remove a specified CC message or all CC messages on a specified MIDI channel or on any channel.

See post #4 here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=140670
Attached Files
File Type: txt CC_eater_DS.txt (1.3 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by DarkStar; 11-24-2022 at 02:56 AM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 09:04 AM   #4
DarkStar

@ SymboliC,
... any news?
Old 10-27-2022, 04:57 PM   #5
paat

I would use ReaLearn for this.
paat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 02:19 PM   #6
SymboliC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
@ SymboliC,
... any news?
Hi DarkStar,

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't have a proper connection for the last couple weeks.

Unfortunately this didn't not work quite as I expected. If I put this after ReaControlMIDI in the fx chain, RCM eventually has no effect even if the fader movements are recorded (it isn't parsed).

If I put this before RCM it records faders into envelope.

But in both cases MIDI CC data is recorded inside the MIDI item's CC lanes.

Actually we have some actions in MIDI action editor ->

SWS/BR: Convert selected CC events in active item to linear envelope points in selected envelope (clear existing envelope points)

Then,

there is also a second action ->

SWS/BR: Delete selected events in last clicked lane

If I combine these into a custom action it accomplishes what I want into an extent.

The problem is these scripts are fired from within MIDI editor's actions + I have to open MIDI item first and select the proper lane + I have to select the relevant ReaControlMIDI envelope in the arrange view and etc etc... Which is several clicks to get it done properly.

I know somehow I have accomplished this in the past but can't really remember by the help of which custom script it was.

The faders were being recorded directly into RCM envelopes in arrange view rather than CC lanes in MIDI editor.

I just need to tell Repaer not to record CC data into MIDI CC lanes. but how?...

Thanks,
Old 12-10-2022, 05:19 AM   #7
SymboliC

For anyone who needs such a solution or method,

Insert a JS : MIDI note filter as an input fx on your track and choose which CC data to be filtered.

Of course whole point is to record data on envelopes. So you also need to insert a ReaControlMIDI fx on the same track and choose your CC to be recorded.

Done.

Now the cc data won't be recorded inside MIDI item's lanes but instead on envelopes.
Old 12-10-2022, 07:36 AM   #8
Fergler

And to elaborate, the basic concept is that MIDI devices can go to two places in Reaper - track inputs and the MIDI controller path.

Filtering out CC from track input will allow you to just ignore written CC in the MIDI item
Filtering CC from the input recording FX chain will allow you to not even write it but make it unavailable for parameter use in the track.
But you can get around that by using the MIDI control path that still has the CC by learning the ReaControlMIDI or ReaLearn controls
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 08:51 AM   #9
SymboliC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
And to elaborate, the basic concept is that MIDI devices can go to two places in Reaper - track inputs and the MIDI controller path.

Filtering out CC from track input will allow you to just ignore written CC in the MIDI item
Filtering CC from the input recording FX chain will allow you to not even write it but make it unavailable for parameter use in the track.
But you can get around that by using the MIDI control path that still has the CC by learning the ReaControlMIDI or ReaLearn controls
Old 05-22-2023, 08:02 AM   #10
megajeff

I found this thread while looking for a way to record expression and dynamics automation for Spitfire BBCSO instruments without also recording cc events into midi lanes. This thread was very helpful, but I had to work through some extra steps for my use case and thought I'd post these here in case it helps anybody else.

Create instrument track.
In track fx, above instrument, insert a ReaControlMidi and a JS Midi Note Filter.
In RCM (first slot):
• Click MIDI button, disable midi output, select 'zero out unmapped output channels'.
• Control change - enable, select Expression and Mod Wheel (or as desired).
In JSMNF (second slot): Other events (CC, etc) pass through - No.
Click on trim control button on TCP:
• In RCM section, click to enable Expression and Mod Wheel (+ visible and arm).
• In section for instrument, click 'Mod' button, click 'Link from MIDI or FX parameter', and click button to link to RCM channel. Do this for each channel.
On each envelope track, click Learn control and link to hardware controller.
On TCP, click on Record select drop-down, and choose 'Record: Output(MIDI)'.

Arm a record automation mode (right-click trim control on TCP, Write Latch or Touch), and switch back to Trim/Read after recording.

I also saved it as a track template.
megajeff is offline   Reply With Quote