Old 03-06-2020, 09:48 AM   #1
ed78
Human being with feelings

Default Midi playback out of time

Good day,

When recording midi from a keyboard, the played back midi is not the same as the performance.

I have tested this by recording the live performance audio and then comparing it to the midi. I recorded the audio by actually routing the midi track's output to another track and recording the audio while recording the midi as well.

The above test shows that the midi actually comes into Reaper in time but that something happens with Reaper when saving the midi notes.

It's not a constant delay that could be caused by latency but the midi notes are randomly out of time on playback.

Recording with PDC delay monitoring enabled on a track fixes the problem but not when Record: midi overdub is also engaged. Then there are random double delay notes on a live performance.

I am aware that only one midi command can be sent at a time and that technically midi will never be 100% as the live performance. This should however not be a serious timing issue. All that said. It varies. Sometimes it is close and other times it is way out. So midi in itself can't be the issue here.

Funny thing is that for years I thought that my timing suck. Lol. So one day I did the test.

Is this a known Reaper issue, since it has existed for a long time now?

Hope there is a solution in the near future.

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:44 AM   #2
Bouroki

Are you sure there is no input quantizing enabled?
Bouroki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:24 PM   #3
averystemmler

The note doubling issue seems to have been introduced in the past couple updates (and happens for me in midi overdub mode regardless of PDC compensation settings). I haven't noticed the erratic delays you're experiencing though.

As an experiment, try your test on a portable install of v5.99 if you haven't already. It seems like there are a number of posts about midi and latency related bugs lately.
averystemmler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 05:12 AM   #4
ed78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouroki View Post
Are you sure there is no input quantizing enabled?
Thanks for your suggestion. I have tested with both input Quantize on and off and the problem is there regardless.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:13 AM   #5
ed78

Quote:
Originally Posted by averystemmler View Post
The note doubling issue seems to have been introduced in the past couple updates (and happens for me in midi overdub mode regardless of PDC compensation settings). I haven't noticed the erratic delays you're experiencing though.

As an experiment, try your test on a portable install of v5.99 if you haven't already. It seems like there are a number of posts about midi and latency related bugs lately.
Thanks for your suggestion. Will run such a test. Thanks.