Old 11-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
whis4ey
Human being with feelings

Default Render to MP3 on Reaper faulty

I rendered a couple of songs to mp3 on Reaper and couldn't understand why they wouldn't play when uploaded to the 'net
When I examined the source, I found that they were being recognised as 'videos' for some obscure reason
I tested by rendering to mp3 on Audacity, uploaded, and they play perfectly
REAPER boffins .. please note ... there is something wrong somewhere
whis4ey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Gerry P

Hi Billy...although this doesn't help your situation, I assure you that mp3's are rendered properly in Reaper.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
Guncho

User error.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
bigwoody

Hey Billy, give a bit more information about specifically what you choose when you rendered. As others have said, MP3 rendering in Reaper works just fine as long as you have downloaded and installed the correct LAME encoder for your operating system. It is most likely a setting of some sort.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:40 AM   #5
whis4ey

Not sure I can give any more info
Rendered to .wav ....... worked perfectly
Rendered to mp3 ......seemed to have worked perfectly also .. played fine on my 'puter
BUT ... when uploaded to the net it wouldn't play. So I clicked on and tested the source code and found that it was being recognised as a video?????
I had first of all downloaded the 62 bit version of lame (which didn't work) so I downloaded the 32 bit version which gave me these current results
What other settings could be faulty??
And why would an mp3 decoded in Audacity work perfectly??
whis4ey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:04 AM   #6
Guncho

You still sound like you need to be convinced that Reaper isn't broken but we're all teling you it works fine for everyone else. It's kind of annoying to be honest.

Maybe the problem is your computer or the site you are uploading to?

When you render to mp3, does the song play in WMP on your computer normally? What site are you uploading to?
Old 11-26-2011, 05:00 AM   #7
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by whis4ey View Post
Rendered to mp3 ......seemed to have worked perfectly also .. played fine on my 'puter
An "mp3" isn't an all-encompassing moniker. There are many parameters that can be set for an "mp3" in the encoder, which means since the encoder is on *your* computer it will work fine - because the decoder is probably set the same way (lame?), but depending on the site you uploaded it to, they may have more stringent/specific mp3 *encoding* requirements.

Quote:
BUT ... when uploaded to the net it wouldn't play. So I clicked on and
This simply means that there is a setting difference between the two programs.

Quote:
What other settings could be faulty??
Look up "mp3 codec settings" on google.

Quote:
And why would an mp3 decoded in Audacity work perfectly??
A number of possibilties:

1) You're not actually rendering an mp3 on one of the programs but just a file that has the .mp3 stuck on the end of it;
2) While having installed the lame encoder, Audacity may or may not actually be using it;
3) In turn, you could have a default mp3 setting that Reaper is using that the upload site doesn't like, but since you've set it on YOUR computer it will play back on your computer;

People on the internet tend to be snippy because of the signal to noise ratio is so low. What you're doing is akin to walking into a plumber's union meeting and saying "Kohler faucets don't work" and having 20 plumbers tell you "yes they do, it must have something to do with the configuration of how you've installed it, what washers and fittings did you use?" and you then telling them that is not the case (but it's a room full of plumbers you're telling that to).
Old 11-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
fixerdave

hey whis4ey, can you link the mp3 file wot fails to your post in reaper, or upload to soundcloud or any other host so we can look at it and decider why it don't work. some of us actually like to reverse engineer problems and then solve them then hand em back to owner...no charge, no fee, no danger. it's probably a bit rate, sample rate or re-sample rate, hell ....any thing not spot on will make mp3's play or not play... please send us a faulty mp3 file to work with. I bet 2 gold stars you will have you problem answered in between 10 Minuits and a few days..LOL regards fixerdave

PS...don't let the humor of these guys put you off, we all have different levels of humor, fuse length, time to enter sarcastic mode, "don't diss my DAW mode" ect, and all their knowledge will tell them that this is a config/incorrect setup type of problem. When you got it fixed come back and play with the hardest hitters first.....don't loose site that this is very defiantly the best forum ever...since Iv'e been using Reaper I consider my self to have inherited about 100-200 friends. It will be worth the investment in time and the give and take bit.....here endeth the lesson.... fixerdave

Last edited by fixerdave; 11-25-2011 at 03:56 PM.
fixerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
fixerdave

Default to ivansc

ever though of just doing waltzs 123, 123, 123, 123 ?? fixerdave
fixerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
goatse

I'm not really sure why all of you are giving him such a hard time, there is definitely something off about files exported from Reaper.

I've been producing music on a computer since 2002, and I've been using Reaper since 2008, and more than any other DAW or audio editor, certain devices and/or software(like the stock Kenwood CD player in my Scion) will refuse to play back files created in Reaper.

However, I don't believe LAME is at fault either, because if I remember correctly, this also applies to formats other than MP3. IIRC, I've been able to bounce a .wav out of Reaper, and export a working .mp3 out of Wavosaur or Audacity using the same lame_enc.dll file. This indicates that Reaper is probably "doing it's own thang" with some kind of header or meta-data that most of us never see or know about. I know that turning off the "bext chunk" option fixes some devices, but not others.

FWIW IMHO FALAFEL
goatse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
Gerry P

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatse View Post
...certain devices and/or software(like the stock Kenwood CD player in my Scion) will refuse to play back files created in Reaper.
can you post one of these mp3's (or just a portion of one). I would be curious to see if it will not play on anything else.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #12
goatse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry P View Post
can you post one of these mp3's (or just a portion of one). I would be curious to see if it will not play on anything else.
I can, but I don't think my Reaper is rendering anything that your Reaper isn't. I always go with the most vanilla 320K CBR settings on there, but typically a plain .wav file wouldn't play either.

If anything, I think the OP may have stumbled on a clue:

Quote:
I found that they were being recognised as 'videos' for some obscure reason
Which is easily reconciled with my long-held observation that something is seriously screwed up in the file's header/meta-data, not the encoding or anything happening in LAME.

If my CD player (or numerous other devices that I've observed the same on) so happen to be under the impression that what they're reading is not an mp3, then of course I wouldn't expect it to even attempt to play it.
goatse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #13
gofer
-blänk-

One person out of ten or so saying something unpleasant is hardly "all of you are giving him such a hard time". The annoyed guy still has offered his help, as have all the others who replied. We really shouldn't blow it out of proportion.

Of course it can be that Reaper is at fault here (and I can't find anything wrong with saying so explicitly if you've got that hunch) In that case it would be good for everybody if we could sort it out together and find a reproducible way to trigger the fault. Or it's something else - then it would still be good to spot it for the next guy who may have the same issue.

So, in any case it would be very kind of whis4ey to provide some info to work with.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:44 AM   #14
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixerdave View Post
ever though of just doing waltzs 123, 123, 123, 123 ?? fixerdave
You've met my drummer, then?

P.S. How the hell are you?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote