Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 12-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
DuX
Human being with feelings

Default Windows XP SP3 nLited and Audio Optimised

This has extensively been discussed in this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=15923 so you can all look it up for additional info, solutions etc.

This second Windows XP SP3 AO build is not very different from the first one, but includes some important stuff and updates like:

- wireless network is working
- firewall is working
- all post SP3 fixes, including the december 2008. ones, see the list here: http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack-sp3.html There are some rather important fixes for multiprocessor PC`s. I`ve been waiting for this, therefore such a delay prior to releasing this build.
- Intel, NVidia and AMD AHCI drivers
- most of the EU keyboards and regional settings, including UK and US.

What it doesn`t include is: general BS, bloat, spam, unnecessary BS, WM Player, Internet Explorer etc. However, this build is much larger than the previous build and weights whooping 300MB, so I had to split the archive into two, because Rapidshare caps the uploads at 200MB. Shame. I`m not sure why it`s so much bigger, but I`m assuming it`s mostly because of the post SP3 fixes. If that`s the case, I don`t regret it being 100MB bigger.

So here it is, Windows XP SP3 Audio Optimised RAR archives, part 1 and part 2, DuXP.
Part1: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...P3AO.part1.rar
Part2: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...P3AO.part2.rar

*When you downloaded both parts, just unrar the first part with 7Zip or WinRAR and you'll get the whole WXPSP3AO.iso file.

This is the nLite INI file you can use to make your own "distro" of XP-AO using the original XP installation CD: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...9/WXPSP3AO.ini

I left the "Out of the box experience" in, so it should be "authoriseable". I`m trying to stay on the legal side of things as much as possible, as I don`t want Cockos to have any troubles regarding this, some would say "crippled" Windows XP.

One warning for the users who are not very proficient with Windows: this Windows installation is mostly intended for experienced or advanced Windows users, not so much because of the way the installation goes - it`s even easier to install it than the default one, but because of the way this Windows look and behave. It looks quite different to your usual default installation and it`s tweaked after my subjective opinions and from my long time experience using Windows for audio and multimedia in general. Most of the tweaking done, you should find on any Windows that a proficient Windows user that is into audio and video is using and inexperienced users could easily have many problems with this OS, as nothing is hidden "under the rug" you can delete important files by accident and stuff like that. In other words - if you don`t know what regedit.exe is, stay away, or be at least very careful with what you`re doing and you`ll be rewarded with a great and fast OS that XP can be when tweaked and cut in the right places.

Last thing...

Happy Christmas, happy holidays, get nicely pissed...

I wish you all good luck, lots of love and patience for your loved ones, some money and excellent health! To your families, and loved ones, too.

Cheers!

16-03-2013 Update: reuploaded to Rapidshare again. I'm still using it, btw. and it works great.
04-02-2014 Update: reuploaded to Dropbox because all others are scum. I don't want to have to upload again every three months.

Last edited by DuX; 02-03-2014 at 04:45 PM.
DuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
spoon

Cheers mate!

Happy holidays to you. I shall be getting pissed for the next 4-5 days if all goes well.

This is a nice update.

Kind regards,
David
Old 12-24-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
Bassman1

Thanks for this updated version Dux.

So, we burn this to a disc and then install as per the usual windows install, using my key, yep?

mERRY CHRISTMAS
Old 12-24-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman1 View Post
Thanks for this updated version Dux.

So, we burn this to a disc and then install as per the usual windows install, using my key, yep?

mERRY CHRISTMAS
Yep!

You can use any ISO writing software such as Nero or ImgBurn. Extremely important: burn at x4 speed as any audio CD. CD will also last longer.

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 12-24-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
Bassman1

Thanks for the quick reply. Grabbing it now
Old 12-24-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
Ibdabloke

Default Thank You

Dux,

Thanks for your efforts, I've been lurking, following your progress. I'll be sure to give your latest build a go.

Have a Merry Xmas and may the New Year bring you continued good health.
Ibdabloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #7
jzucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post
This has extensively been discussed in this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=15923 so you can all look it up for additional info, solutions etc.

This second Windows XP SP3 AO build is not very different from the first one, but includes some important stuff and updates like:
How is this different from the commercial SP3 patch? I upgraded to the sp3 patch and had beaucoup problems and ended up going back to sp2.
jzucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #8
Fabian

Thanks a heap DuXman.
DLing now. I'll leave my kids with their mother tomorrow, then I'm all DAW for the coming week :-)
Old 12-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #9
Bob Headroom

That's the attitude Fabian, I'm with you there mate.

Cheers DuX. The birth of the saviour and the birth of DuX's almighty DuXP all within 24hrs. Great timing. The 25th shall forever be duXmas in my eyes from here on in.
Bob Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:35 PM   #10
DuX

Lol Max!

Have a great X-mas and an OS which will last.

sipping the wine... watching stupid US comedy... if I could upgrade their sense of humour somehow that would be wonderful . Now where are those Black Adder DVD`s...

Cheers mates!
Old 12-25-2008, 02:00 PM   #11
Fabian

Default DAWUser-dawuser problem

Merry DuX-mas :-)
I have just installed DuX' new slipstreamed XP (version 2). Installation went ok, no problem, but... when XP starts it asks for an administrator password. I've tried everything but to no avail. From the previous thread (linked by DuX above) I get that it was supposed to be user "DAWUser" and password "dawuser", but this simply does not work.

I've installed and reinstalled three times now, same thing. During installation I only change some regional settings. Especially, I do not touch anything related to the administrator (or any other) account.

Note, the first version of the DuXP I had no problems with. It simply logged on the (single) XP user without asking for any password. Of course, that was more to my liking, but I've seen some people reporting similar problems as the one I now have with DuXPv2. I've seen no real solution, though.

Any ideas, anyone...?
Old 12-25-2008, 10:18 PM   #12
DuX

I should of warned you all of the slight change in logging on. Many people wanted to log on with their own password, so this time around there`s no default password and no auto-logon. The default user name is still "DAWUser", and the password is blank, so you have to write some kind of password in the password field in order to logon into OS at all. If you don`t provide the password, you won`t be able to start the OS and that`s exactly what happened to you.

Later on, it`s quite easy to setup auto-logon. Just go to Control Panel, start this very handy tool called TweakUI and find "auto logon". As user name use "DAWUser" and use your password for password, press checkmark and there you go .

Don`t forget that the administrator account is the only account in this OS and it is called "DAWUser". There`s no "Administrator"! The password you provide during the install will be your password for all one accounts there are . Unfortunately, I haven`t found the easier way for you to change the user name. As things are now, you have to go to control panel and fiddle with user names and accounts to change the user name, no way around it, then delete the DAWUser account afterwards to save some space. But at least you can personalise the password, it`s a good thing. In the previous build, people didn`t realise thay could change the password, because it was provided by me.

What`s gonna puzzle some, is the first time logon, as Windows still think there`s an "administrator" user, but you should just change the "administrator" to "DAWUser" and write your password in the password field and everything will be ok .

So to summarise things... all you have to write and choose during the installation is: input XP serial, choose regional settings, keyboard and time zone then write the password, and when logging on for the first time delete the "administrator" user name and write "DAWUSer" instead and use your password as a password. That`s it .

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 12-25-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:06 AM   #13
DuX

I noticed there`s still a slight bug in nLite regarding the themes. The default theme should be "Windows Classic" but it`s not configured properly, so you should modify the default theme to your liking and that`s gonna rectify "things". It`s recommendable to go to "my computer">properties>advanced>visual settings and set it to "custom" and tick the checkmarks you find appropriate. For example, tick off the "use visual styles on windows and buttons" if you`re not using the "Luna" theme.

While at it, I found another bug regarding nLite setup in the System properties>advanced>Startup and recovery, you should untick the "send an administrative alert", "restart automatically" and adjust debugging info to "none". I'm pretty sure I set that up correctly in nLite setup but it just didn`t work, obviously.

nLite is still lacking a lot in that segment of Windows customisation, so I couldn`t set up some things like this for you. \if you`re not using the Luna theme, you can also get rid of "themes" service in "administrative tools">services, just put it to "disabled". While there, you can get rid of some other services, too, like Print Spooler if you`re not using a printer or PDF printer, or any network services like DNS, DHCP, computer browser... if you`re not using any networking. You can read all about that in the previous thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=15923 I was pretty thorough regarding the unnecessary services .

In my current OS, I have only 9 services on "automatic", and 13 on manual. 10 of them started right now. 54 of them on "disabled", and I use Internet on it. The only really needed services for networking are "Network Connections" and "System Event Notification" services. Actually, networking over a router works even without those two, but you don`t get the pretty little networking icon in the system tray .

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 12-26-2008 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:18 AM   #14
Bob Headroom

Hi DuX

Can I clarify a couple of things about this release, if you'd be so kind:

1. Terminal Services. Do you think it is OK to have this off if not using any Sony software? I've got it disabled at the moment with no problems...

2. DHCP. Of all the other services you say can be disabled, this is the one I have problems with. Am I right in saying that the IP address etc. have to be configured manually if this is disabled? Any tips on how to get net working with this disabled, cos mine was mightily buggered when I disabled it on my current install. (Incidentally, for anyone that is interested, I have posted pics of my services - what is set to manual and automatic - in post #682 in the main huge thread).

3. Has Data Execution Prevention (DEP) been left as "Optin"? I know this is something you changed your mind about in the main thread, so wondered what your current thinking on it is?

Gonna go for the full install over the next few days (twice in fact for dual boot). Just got to try and find time inbetween the oldie family obligations!

Cheers

Max
Old 12-26-2008, 01:48 AM   #15
DuX

1. Yep, Terminal Services are actually a security threat, so it is advisable to disable those if not using Sony software.

2. DHCP. If you know your IP, Gateway [router address] and DNS servers you can disable this service as well and configure your interent connection manually. That`s one of the first things I do in a freshly installed XP. Go to Start>Control Panel>Network Connections, right click on your Internet LAN connection, choose "properties", click TCP/IP and there you go. While at it, untick all other stuff like Microsoft networking, as it`s not necessary for Internet connection. Only TCP/IP protocol should be turned on there [ticked ].

Prior to disabling DHCP you can find out what`s your IP, Gateway and DNS` when you type ipconfig/all in CMD [console]. When you enter the DNS servers, you can also safely disable the DNS service, too. Network works more smoothly without those two.

In fact, nothing "auto" works well in Windows, so you`re always better off configuring stuff manually. CD auto start is a can of worms for example. More like a can of trojans, as people are using USB flash keys for carrying the data around, they carry the trojans and viruses, too, so when such USB key autostarts... boom-you get infected in an instant. That`s why I completely disabled the "Shell Hardware Detection" service that deals with auto-starts. It`s much much safer that way.

3. Yea I left DEP at OptIn. It doesn`t slow things down and it can prevent the spread of a virus/trojan infection. Theoretically at least... I am very sceptical about anything MicroSoft programmed, and not just because I dislike the firm [more like i really dislike their corporate practices, not the firm itself], but due to all the bad experiences I have had with their apps. IME, nothing MS works really well, and it`s their operating system they`re programming their apps for. That`s really a remarkable achievement eh? The most extraordinary thing about it is that they keep trying to push their badly programmed apps and their proprietary formats down our throat, no matter what. Plain stupid [but understandable from the corporate point of view]. Considering their programmers abilities, I`m simply amazed how Windows XP is working at all. It must be a miracle, or maybe the aliens programmed Windows for them .

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 12-26-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:46 AM   #16
Fabian

Quote:
... this time around there`s no default password and no auto-logon. The default user name is still "DAWUser", and the password is blank ...
Ah! So much for my claim of trying "everything"...:-)

Yes indeed, not touching anything related to the administrator (or any other) account at install, and then logging on as "DAWUser" with null password does the trick. Great. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:32 AM   #17
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Ah! So much for my claim of trying "everything"...:-)

Yes indeed, not touching anything related to the administrator (or any other) account at install, and then logging on as "DAWUser" with null password does the trick. Great. Thanks.
You will not be able to setup auto-logon with blank password. I personally like auto-logon so I always provide some password and set it up with TweakUI under logon settings. I`m not sure why you have to provide the password in order for auto-logon to work, but that`s how it works...

Cheers!
Old 12-26-2008, 04:29 AM   #18
Fabian

Quote:
In my current OS, I have only 9 services on "automatic", and 13 on manual.
Care to tell us exactly which ones, DuXman?
Old 12-26-2008, 04:32 AM   #19
Fabian

Quote:
You will not be able to setup auto-logon with blank password. I personally like auto-logon so I always provide some password and set it up with TweakUI under logon settings. I`m not sure why you have to provide the password in order for auto-logon to work, but that`s how it works...
Well, it worked for me; no problem just hitting enter when the prompt for a password came (on clicking "Set Password"). And everything seems to work fine here.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:41 AM   #20
DuX

On "Auto" and started:

-Event Log
-Logical Disk Manager
-Network Connections
-Plug And Play
-Protected Storage
-Remote Procedure Call [RPC]
-Security Accounts Manager
-Windows Audio
-Windows Management Instrumentation

On "Manual" and started:
-Cryptographic Services

I think "System Event Notification" should be left on "auto" as it`s needed for a few things, I`m just playing around with that one currently. So 10 services on "auto", all in all. If you`re not using network, you should be able to disable System Event Notification and Network Connections, well, at least Network Connections service.

There`s a nice description of what service is for what on www.musicxp.com, so look it up .

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 12-26-2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:27 PM   #21
Finnish

Just wanted to chime in.. This version rules!

Ah, it's so nice to install it to my laptop, no more hazzles with nLite and ACHI and stuff..

Dude, thank you, really!

P.S. MusicXP-site sucks nowadays... I think this is the link we are suppose to follow

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...nce-audio.html
Old 12-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #22
DuX

For info on how to configure services: http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

very informative. You will notice that most of the services that are disabled by default aren`t even included in my nLited XP.

You`re welcome Finnish!

Cheers!
Old 12-27-2008, 02:01 PM   #23
Fabian

Quote:
For info on how to configure services: http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

very informative. You will notice that most of the services that are disabled by default aren`t even included in my nLited XP.
What I did was I set all, almost, services to manual and this seems to work fine. I currently have 16 processes running on my Vostro laptop, and this includes 4(!) related to the touchpad that are necessary (it seems) to disable tapping (otherwise I tap all over the place). I had a slight problem with installing display driver, it screamed that RPC was missing, but I worked around that by manually installing the drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish
P.S. MusicXP-site sucks nowadays... I think this is the link we are suppose to follow

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...nce-audio.html
Yes, I just registered (and payed) for musicxp but I found no real good advice there. The link supplied by Finnish seems to give much more useful info.

Thanks again DuX for doing the work so we can avoid this http://www.avielsegal.com/index.html (click the link "DAW optimization"). This guy's done some serious XP tweaking. Steindork means it borders on religion (http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=28626) so I guess that only God knows if its's useful :-)
Old 12-29-2008, 03:26 PM   #24
Floyd

Default German XP-Key not working?

Hey,
I just tried to install the DUX-XP, but it didn't accept my licence key. Is it because it belongs to a german version of XP pro? Are there differences??
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:22 PM   #25
DuX

No, there are only differences between the OEM and this normal version, so you are probably trying with the OEM key?
Old 12-30-2008, 12:29 AM   #26
Against_Demons

A quick question for anyone who knows.
Is this based on a SP3 slipstream (windows SP2 CD) or a full SP3 XP CD?
I've been reading all day and can hardly stand to look at my monitor for one more second. Triple vision is setting in.
Against_Demons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:45 AM   #27
Floyd

Quote:
No, there are only differences between the OEM and this normal version, so you are probably trying with the OEM key?
Ooops... yepp. After some searching I found another key from one of my PCs. And it is working now excellent! Thanks for that!
Old 12-30-2008, 03:25 AM   #28
DuX

This is based on a normal [as in not OEM] Windows XP SP2 CD. I slipstreamed latest SP3+post SP3 patches from RyanVM site. I think there`s no official SP3 CD, but it should be the same, as when I take a look at this official SP2 version, it seems just like a slipstreamed XP SP1.

Have a raunchy New Year`s eve .

Cheers!
Old 12-30-2008, 08:43 AM   #29
Tedwood

What a good thread, this install like the previous one applies to non-OEM XP owners, I did manage to get Dux' SP2 version working fine but I wasn't able to use my own OEM license key, I borrowed one somebody posted on a web page somewhere just to see how good this stuff is, it is very good stuff indeed.

In th long run though I figured the best thing would be for me to to have a go and do an Nlite version myself, so I could use my own OEM version and update to SP3 at the same time.

Hoorah! success.
I already had a copy of my Install disk on my hard drive from when I slipstreamed SP2 about a year ago, so I only had to download SP3 and learn how to use NLite. Okay I just bluffed it in a couple of hours, so I'm going to learn as I go, but I was very impressed at how simple the Nlite gui is to navigate.

Now I am thinking more people should try this, if you can do the Dux install, you can also do an NLite version from scratch, the only difference being that Dux has done lot's of trials and he knows all about trimming it down.

People would have different needs, so I am thinking we could do with talking about how to NLite your own, then more people could share the knowledge and Dux won't be the only one that can answer your questions; I think perhaps Dux might approve of that too

My first question would be how do I not install the parts that force me to activate my copy of windows, I've already entered my key, and it always forces me to activate by telephone because I have used up my quota of non-telephone installs - PITA or what?

I don' think there is anything dodgy about that, more like something dodgy about Windows.

I would be much obliged if someone could help me on this little matter, I would understand if someone knew the answer to this but didn't want to broadcast it to all and sundry though, OTOH it's not doing anything wrong is it?

Last edited by Tedwood; 12-30-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Tedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:27 PM   #30
DuX

Try ripping out the "Oobe" - Out Of The Box Experience.

It will make your "out of the box experience" much better .

I will make a list of some helpful tips for building your own nLite Windows XP, just haven`t got the time right now. There are some rather crucial tips for making it right I have to share with you, as you don`t get the whole story just by using my nLite settings file.

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 12-30-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:08 PM   #31
Tedwood

Quote:
Try ripping out the "Oobe" - Out Of The Box Experience.

It will make your "out of the box experience" much better .

I will make a list of some helpful tips for building your own nLite Windows XP, just haven`t got the time right now. There are some rather crucial tips for making it right I have to share with you, as you don`t get the whole story just by using my nLite settings file.

Cheers!
Thanks for that, I actually did that once but I must have done something to have it put back in again. Anyway in the process of researching my mistake I found a way to tweak the registry OOBE entry that works as well, so that's good too.

I looked for it again on a second run but can't find it so I'm still confused.

I got quite a nice result at about 324 Megs with Sp3 and all the visuals too though, this one is for surfing as well as audio. All pretty much trial, error, and a bit of educated guesswork. Next time I'm going to try putting all my drivers and stuff in there.

i only scanned this thread and didn't see your .ini file, I'm not quite sure what I do with that but I'll have a quick look now.

Thanks again Dux, this makes Windows not such a bad thing after all. In fact if Windows had it's own box of tricks like this, it would be a very difficult thing to knock.

Last edited by Tedwood; 12-30-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Tedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:42 AM   #32
Against_Demons

Thanks for the reply.
I asked cause I have an official XP SP3 cd and i wanted to know if the key would work or not before I reformatted.
As you said Dux, the actual ISO structure is problably similar to a slipstream.
For the record the serial did work. Thanks for your efforts!

Against_Demons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:34 AM   #33
dave dove

hey dux

just installed this version
there is no uk english keyboard option
is there a way of installing it after??

dave
dave dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:47 AM   #34
DuX

No UK English keyboard!??? That`s impossible, man. Are you 100% sure?

If yes, that must be a bug in nLite of some kind. Let me check myself...

Confirmed. There`s no UK layout. I`ve noticed already that nLite messes up with keyboard layouts.

Now, how to remedy that?

Last edited by DuX; 01-02-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:12 AM   #35
Fabian

Quote:
Confirmed. There`s no UK layout. I`ve noticed already that nLite messes up with keyboard layouts.

Now, how to remedy that?
There are som posts on missing keyboard layouts and how to fix that, in the earlier thread http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=15923 from post #657 http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=657 and forward.

(but you knew this already, DuX, so I guees your question was only rethorical... not?)
Old 01-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #36
Floyd

Default German keyboard layout

Just a quick tip for all who are looking for a german keyboard layout, have a look on (http://aktuell.de.selfhtml.org/artik...yout-anpassen/). You can directly download it there. Or you can tinker around, using the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator to define your own layout.

Floyd

Last edited by Floyd; 01-02-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #37
dave dove

sorted

http://support.argogroup.com/article.php?art=313

dave
dave dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:31 PM   #38
DuX

Thank you so much Dave. Great!
Old 01-04-2009, 01:51 AM   #39
Bob Headroom

Hi Dave...

So are we talking the "simple method" or the "complex method"?

Max
Old 01-04-2009, 02:08 AM   #40
Fabian

Quote:
Thank you so much Dave. Great!
The "complex" method seems, well... enormously complex... Is all that really needed? Won't the following (from http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=657) do?

Download MSKLC (Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator), install it on another system that supports your specific keyboard layout, then import and export the layout. This will give you something you can install on your DuXP.