Old 01-10-2016, 02:42 PM   #1
Commala
Human being with feelings

Default Default Commala 5

After a lengthy delay, both versions of Default Commala 5 are now up!

Dark: https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1702/De...ReaperThemeZip

Light: https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1633/De...ReaperThemeZip

This is my mod of the Default theme from Reaper 4, which I've updated now to take advantage of some new Reaper 5 theming features.

A disclaimer - this now means that full track panel colour tinting is not readily available, for technical reasons. The theme can be edited to force this, but it won't look very nice.

Thanks again to White Tie, for his work on the Default Reaper 4 theme, Lerian, for Default Analog which this mod was initially based on, and Nick Moritz, for the toolbar icons from the Rado theme.

========================

Default Commala features:

- MCP track folder-state indentation, as seen in WT Voodoo

- new TCP layouts: Big meter, condensed

- new MCP layouts: Narrow, FX rack, small master

- reworked MIDI editor

- new panners

- coloured fader layouts

Last edited by Commala; 01-10-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Commala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #2
Psmeg

Awesome!

The number of times I've been asked what theme I'm running in my videos tuts is unbelievable.

Excellent work as always. :0)
Old 01-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #3
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

It looks wonderful : thank you so much !
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #4
vidalsh

Still one of the best themes...
vidalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:03 PM   #5
FnA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commala View Post
A disclaimer - this now means that full track panel colour tinting is not readily available, for technical reasons. The theme can be edited to force this, but it won't look very nice.
First of all, let me say it's great. I want to adopt it. Nice new things, especially the v5 TCP and it's color variations which will always be visible; and also I don't know if anyone pointed out before how nice the skinny master was specifically.

I don't care about fully tinted track panels, but I need to change the items backgrounds and peak preferences. Is this as problematic as the track backgrounds? I see the default v5 theme is the same way? What the....

Still using DC4 exclusively
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:55 AM   #6
kingocounty

Fantastic! Thanks!!!
kingocounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:03 AM   #7
matv

My go to theme. Thanks you.
matv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #8
Commala

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingocounty View Post
Fantastic! Thanks!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by matv View Post
My go to theme. Thanks you.
You're most welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
First of all, let me say it's great. I want to adopt it. Nice new things, especially the v5 TCP and it's color variations which will always be visible; and also I don't know if anyone pointed out before how nice the skinny master was specifically.

I don't care about fully tinted track panels, but I need to change the items backgrounds and peak preferences. Is this as problematic as the track backgrounds? I see the default v5 theme is the same way? What the....

Still using DC4 exclusively
So there is an option to allow tinting the peaks and item backgrounds separately, if you're comfortable editing an rtconfig. Near the top of the rtconfig, these lines appear:

tinttcp 1962
; "track panel tinting" enabled, allowing true colour swatches
; items are coloured according to track colour, and can be set independently as well
; colouring of individual takes will tint the waveform
; if you replace "1962" with "1578", take peaks are tinted instead of take backgrounds, but this will make it more difficult to see item selection(in this theme, peaks turn white when the item is selected, but not when takes are coloured)

You can change that to 1578 and see how you like it then. In fact there are many different numbers you can enter to affect how tracks and items are coloured, but they are derived from a rather complicated process. You can see that here, if you're brave: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...2&postcount=37

I have to say, requiring users to jump through hoops like this to get back functionality that was previously accessed directly within Reaper is a step backward, not forward.

Last edited by Commala; 01-11-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:26 PM   #9
lachrimae

Very nice theme update Commala.

I'm a fan of dense TCP layouts so your Condensed option great.

The FX Rack and narrow MCP are also nice...
I like the sliders in your FX Rack layout and would probably prefer those in the default MCP but either way works.
lachrimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:49 PM   #10
gmgmgm

Just adding another voice to the thank you chorus.

Great theme, a pleasure to work with. Occasionally I'll load up some other, just to refresh my appreciation for how much I enjoy your work.
gmgmgm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:09 AM   #11
FnA

Thank you very much for the nice info Commala. No time for hoops today, but it could be worth it.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:16 PM   #12
Commala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic View Post
It looks wonderful : thank you so much !
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmgmgm View Post
Just adding another voice to the thank you chorus.

Great theme, a pleasure to work with. Occasionally I'll load up some other, just to refresh my appreciation for how much I enjoy your work.
Ah, missed you the first time Sinkmusic, you're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmeg View Post
Awesome!

The number of times I've been asked what theme I'm running in my videos tuts is unbelievable.

Excellent work as always. :0)
I had a look at your tutorials, good job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachrimae View Post
Very nice theme update Commala.

I'm a fan of dense TCP layouts so your Condensed option great.

The FX Rack and narrow MCP are also nice...
I like the sliders in your FX Rack layout and would probably prefer those in the default MCP but either way works.
I like the sliders too but they are slightly less space efficient and don't leave room for the labels when you have two of them (as in dual pan or stereo pan mode). Nevertheless I might add a switch to set all pan knobs to sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidcumb73 View Post
Anybody have any trouble with using the new dark and light themes? I have tried downloaded them four times and they each show up blinding white using the Classic 1 graphics. I don't have this issue with other themes. The Commala 3 dark theme I have works fine.

Frustrated. Hoping someone can provide some guidance. Probably something simple I am missing.

Thanks.
Are you using Reaper 5? After you download, if you simply double-click the file it should open Reaper and copy the file to your themes folder automatically. I just checked and it worked here for both
Old 01-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #13
Gidcumb73

Default Viewing Issues

Anybody have any trouble with using the new dark and light themes? I have tried downloaded them four times and they each show up blinding white using the Classic 1 graphics. I don't have this issue with other themes. The Commala 3 dark theme I have works fine.

Frustrated. Hoping someone can provide some guidance. Probably something simple I am missing.

Thanks.
Gidcumb73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:45 AM   #14
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Hi Commala!

Thank you very much, once again, for such a splendid theme. I havenīt used another one since I tried and edited a bunch of aspects of yours. Regarding full TCP/MCP tinting, as quoted above, does this mean that from now on that feature wonīt be available anymore? If so, Iīll have to keep with version 4...

Another question (regarding version 4, particularly, if TCP tinting wonīt be available anymore) : is there any way to make track selection (be it on TCP or MCP) have more strength -with a more intense colour shade or something like a frame, which already happens with selected items? Sometimes you have a lot of tracks selected, and itīs difficult to see the selection properly, specially depending on the colour of the tracks. This, of course, comes from the default theme of Reaper 4 itself, but maybe there is some way to hack this...
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:21 PM   #15
FnA

Hi Soli. You can edit background images for selected TCP and MCP panels (and some other parts for MCP, iirc) in a way similar to item image. I did this with a version of Default Analog by Lerian (put an, in my case green, border around track). It does in fact offer very strong indication of track selection, but has some catches. Here's a few of those. You might try just making that "more intense shade." I never did that.

-Folder indentation causes incomplete border.
-Might have to do it to each layout. Copy/Paste might be possible in some of these.
-Green border on green track is useless. Other colors not so nice either.

I gave up on using fully colored track panels because it is too hard to tell if they are selected. Hence I gave up on the border, because it's not REALLY REALLY necessary with non fully tinted panels, but I do agree that the color could be a little more eye grabbing. Especially it seems on minimized tracks its sometimes not quite enough. Now...

Commala did include in this v5 version in at least the mixer layouts, a little white indicator light at the bottom of a selected MCP. I like this, and would like to see it developed in TCP too. I probably would like to change that to green which is my selection color for text, window tops, etc. If possible. But even white if not.

Commala? I looked at that stuff you posted. I do a little ReaScripting, but that stuff is all new and a bit discouraging. Have not gotten to it yet but I will eventually.

fwiw, I guess I'm most into:
TCP: Big Meter and Condensed
MCP: Narrow and Default
with their colored fader options.
Dark version.

Last edited by FnA; 01-23-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:59 AM   #16
alienbee

God I Love this theme !!!
been using it forever, thank you Commala!
alienbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:59 AM   #17
Denys

Great theme, I think it became my favorite.
Denys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #18
Wilson

Quote:

This is my mod of the Default theme from Reaper 4, which I've updated now to take advantage of some new Reaper 5 theming features.

Thanks again to White Tie, for his work on the Default Reaper 4 theme, Lerian, for Default Analog which this mod was initially based on, and Nick Moritz, for the toolbar icons from the Rado theme.

========================

- reworked MIDI editor

- new panners

- coloured fader layouts

The best Theme! Thanks!!!
I tried to edit the rtconfig to set the fader for the Mixer Sidebar view to red but I dont get it. Can you help for that?
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:08 PM   #19
FnA

Thanks (again) for the information.

And the nice theme of course.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #20
noahpb

I'm also on a Mac and both the dark and light themes crash my Reaper. I re-downloaded the themes and still have the same problem. Any ideas? Thanks.
noahpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:28 PM   #21
Commala

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahpb View Post
I'm also on a Mac and both the dark and light themes crash my Reaper. I re-downloaded the themes and still have the same problem. Any ideas? Thanks.
What version OSX are you using?
Old 02-09-2016, 07:31 PM   #22
noahpb

Quote:
What version OSX are you using?
I'm on 10.10.5. Thank you!
noahpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:55 PM   #23
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
You can comment out "version 5" at the top of the rtconfig.txt by putting a semicolon at the beginning of that line. The track panels will be tinted this way.

Then, you can additionally comment out the line that defines tinttcp, below that, to get all the version 4 options open again.

The theme will look a bit funny, specifically the place where the colour strip would go, but I thought I would mention this at least
Well, I hadnīt seen your answer; thatīs good to know! I see what you mean by "funny", but Iīll be trying both themes to see how I feel. The strip is, evidently, the thing thatīs superfluous when you tint the panel, isnīt it? There are details in Commala v5 that are definitely nice, so Iīll give it a try...

Thanks for all, man, your dark theme is an eye-saver and aesthetically impeccable !
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:18 AM   #24
smiglo15

Default Commala 5 Arrange Area Colours

Hi guys, can you help me with the following: I love Commala 5, but if I could have the arrange window look like Commala 4, I would be in heaven. To be precise: I would like to have the waveforms coloured, not the backgrounds. If I switch to Commala 4 I have waveform colour, but I loose those beautiful colour strips of Commala 5 (I don't like track name backgrounds to be coloured and I don't need full tinting of track panel or mixer). I'm happy editing RT files. Please help! Many thanks!

Last edited by smiglo15; 05-13-2016 at 05:27 AM.
smiglo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:31 AM   #25
FnA

I know how to make it look like the top pic in post 62, if that's to your liking. You get a colored outline if you have item color on selected item, no full tinted background. No time at the moment to get technical about it.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:49 PM   #26
smiglo15

Default Commala 5 Arrange Area Colours

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
I know how to make it look like the top pic in post 62, if that's to your liking. You get a colored outline if you have item color on selected item, no full tinted background. No time at the moment to get technical about it.
No worries, thanx a lot, I worked it out after hours of headache
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My Commala 5 Mod.jpg (57.7 KB, 358 views)
smiglo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:20 AM   #27
jbraner

Quote:
So there is an option to allow tinting the peaks and item backgrounds separately, if you're comfortable editing an rtconfig. Near the top of the rtconfig, these lines appear:

tinttcp 1962
; "track panel tinting" enabled, allowing true colour swatches
; items are coloured according to track colour, and can be set independently as well
; colouring of individual takes will tint the waveform
; if you replace "1962" with "1578", take peaks are tinted instead of take backgrounds, but this will make it more difficult to see item selection(in this theme, peaks turn white when the item is selected, but not when takes are coloured)

You can change that to 1578 and see how you like it then. In fact there are many different numbers you can enter to affect how tracks and items are coloured, but they are derived from a rather complicated process. You can see that here, if you're brave: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...2&postcount=37

Thanks you for this link!

I eventually figured out how this works (in case anyone else is interested)

so here's the order of bits
Bitswitch
&11HEXGDFCBA

I set:

True = ON
0 A= tracklabel tinting
1 B= trackpanel tinting

False = ON
0 C= tint waveform peaks to track color
1 D= tint waveform peaks to item
1 E= tint waveform peaks to Take

True = On
0 F= tint background to track color
0 G= tint background to item
0 H= tint background to take

which is (trying to line them up)
11HEXGDFCBA
110 10 01 0010

So these 11 bits add up to a decimal number
1024 + 512 +128 + 16 +2
see how it works? (columns are 1024,512,256,128,64,32,16,8,4,2,1 so add up the columns with a "1" in them)

so tinttcp 1682
jbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:36 PM   #28
dotpc

I love Commala, but there appears to be an issue with text boxes inside of NINJAM. See the attached screenshot for an example.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 1.34.18 PM.png (46.3 KB, 144 views)
dotpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:00 PM   #29
Commala

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotpc View Post
I love Commala, but there appears to be an issue with text boxes inside of NINJAM. See the attached screenshot for an example.
I replied to your PM, but I can't create a remote channel to see the light text you're showing, because I am not familiar/don't use Ninjam. I'd say that this is probably an overlooked colour assignment discrepancy in the ReaNinjam interface, it's basically pulling from a different colour definition when it should just be the same text colour definition as the Local channels. That could be considered a bug, maybe the devs would fix this if you created a bug report for it.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:04 PM   #30
HerrKung

Nice theme.

I have a few suggestions on improvement:

I like the horizontal meter in tracks but its too short. Should be longer. Volume slider could be moved under the meter or to the right.

Maybe and option to have the track icons to the left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg theme suggestions.JPG (36.0 KB, 190 views)
HerrKung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:22 AM   #31
johnsawan79

Quote:

========================

- reworked MIDI editor

- new panners

- coloured fader layouts

Hi commala, regarding the color panel tinting, I made a customization using your theme, I was able to apply tinting for the tracks just see if you like it feel free to use/modify the png's it was your to begin with .

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1787/Bl...ReaperThemeZip
johnsawan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:17 PM   #32
Commala

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsawan79 View Post
Hi commala, regarding the color panel tinting, I made a customization using your theme, I was able to apply tinting for the tracks just see if you like it feel free to use/modify the png's it was your to begin with .
Yes, those look nice, well done

The panel tinting is something I've been hesitating to implement, as it really requires two separate versions of the theme - one with the panel tinting, one without. This is to allow the user to switch it off if desired.

Edit: you might like to try grabbing some of the button/label images from the newer version of the theme to use in yours. I've given them transparency since you made your mod, which means that the track colour will also show through the buttons.

Last edited by Commala; 06-24-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:19 PM   #33
Commala

Updated the theme today - changed the midi note color map to allow notehead coloring in the notation editor, as well as to make velocity differences more easily discernable. Also added images to support all automation modes that may arise in near future

Edit: updated the dark version I should say. The light version lags behind, for now

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1702/De...ReaperThemeZip

Last edited by Commala; 06-24-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:38 PM   #34
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Thank you, Commala, it is a great looking theme.
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:42 AM   #35
romick

Default Larger Text in Selection:

Been wracking my brain on how to do this.

Is there a way to get larger text in the Selection: section of the transport control?

I changed the Walter font (7), but it the numbers disappear if I increase the font size.
romick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:38 AM   #36
Trancit

Nevermind... great theme thx :-)

Last edited by Trancit; 09-21-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Trancit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:29 AM   #37
Vagalume

Is there a way to limit the height of the TCP tracks? ... I use a template with more than 100 instruments so I need as much space as possible.I know the height is not big ... but I would like to get some more room.

Last edited by Vagalume; 09-26-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:05 AM   #38
DANIELE

I'm still using the commala 4 version modded by me in many parts, I miss the full color tracks, they are very useful to me.
I hope that you'll update this great theme with this feature.

Anyway great work, for me the best theme out there. I can't find anything better.

However, if I can ask a question, what are the new Reaper 5 theming features?