Old 10-07-2013, 04:56 AM   #81
Andy Hamm
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta V View Post
that actually looks really solid and is kind of affordable.
I got mine for less than 10% of what I would have paid from the manufacturer - and $100 cheaper per unit than my Behringer.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:05 AM   #82
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
[...] Midi buttons are probably not going to work as modifiers however. You can't detect the "Button Up" event, as you can with SHIFT, ALT, WIN/CMD and CTRL. OSC stuff might work. [...]
That depends on the controller. If a MIDI controller can't send MIDI messages on "button up", imho that only means that the controller sucks balls. It has nothing to do with MIDI not being good enough for this purpose per se. Buttons can often be configured to send note-on/note-off, or send different values for a CC# depending on their state ("button down" / "button up") (for example, the BCF/BCR-2000 controllers).

Moreover, *any* key on *any* MIDI keyboard should *always* send a note-off event on "key up" (because if it doesn't, its useless). So even if all else fails, all one really needs is a MIDI keyboard, and willingness to sacrifice one or more of its keys to be used as a modifier.

The reason why this currently doesn't work in REAPER without any third party tools (not for MIDI, nor for OSC), is simply that REAPER does not allow *combinations* of MIDI / OSC events/messages to be used for binding to actions, much like it does not allow *any* computer keyboard key to be used as a modifier key (e.g. "a" + "b" can not be used); it only allows this for a limited number of 'dedicated' modifier keys. So, to do this sort of thing 'natively' in REAPER, Vendetta V's FR needs to be implemented to somehow allow users to use combinations of messages/events, or to designate some MIDI or OSC events/messages as a global "modifier" much like the computer keyboard modifier keys.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #83
Broadpath

Default HUI

Hello,

I've seen several posts over time regarding the HUI (partial) protocol in Reaper. My apologies if there is an answer buried somewhere or if this is a long-abandoned topic but I'm just curious..

I have recently acquired a Mackie Baby HUI. When operating under HUI, all that works are the motorized faders, pan, track select and record arm (via push encoders) and mute and solo buttons.

However, the transport controls do not work from the input side, though they do light up when selected in the software. SEND buttons do not work, and the bank select stays at '1', thereby giving me on 8 channels (7 plus Master) to control. I usually get the dialog that Reaper is unable to open MIDI input and output ports in HUI, though the above mentioned limited functions do operate.

Is this pretty much the state-of-the-protocol for HUI in Reaper, or is there something else I need to/can do? Baby HUI is plug and play so no dirvers that I'm aware of. it is running through an isolated MIDI port (i.e. no hub) and it looks like I set it up as correctly as I can ascertain. I remember seeing older posts of Mackie not being cooperative in releasing HUI code and the Reaper developers did what they could with the info available. Has this changed anywhere/anytime that I am not aware of?

Thanks in advance!
Broadpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #84
musicbynumbers

I might be wrong but "klinke" did a great mod for the mackie MCU that might also have limited hui support but if you've done a search for hui you probably have already found it
Old 11-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #85
ReaDave

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadpath View Post
Hello,

I've seen several posts over time regarding the HUI (partial) protocol in Reaper. My apologies if there is an answer buried somewhere or if this is a long-abandoned topic but I'm just curious..

I have recently acquired a Mackie Baby HUI. When operating under HUI, all that works are the motorized faders, pan, track select and record arm (via push encoders) and mute and solo buttons.

However, the transport controls do not work from the input side, though they do light up when selected in the software. SEND buttons do not work, and the bank select stays at '1', thereby giving me on 8 channels (7 plus Master) to control. I usually get the dialog that Reaper is unable to open MIDI input and output ports in HUI, though the above mentioned limited functions do operate.

Is this pretty much the state-of-the-protocol for HUI in Reaper, or is there something else I need to/can do? Baby HUI is plug and play so no dirvers that I'm aware of. it is running through an isolated MIDI port (i.e. no hub) and it looks like I set it up as correctly as I can ascertain. I remember seeing older posts of Mackie not being cooperative in releasing HUI code and the Reaper developers did what they could with the info available. Has this changed anywhere/anytime that I am not aware of?

Thanks in advance!
Have you seen this thread?.... http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=102418
I'm about to try this out myself with my CM Labs gear.
ReaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #86
LugNut

Hi,

I had a dream...I have been to the mountaintop...i had a dream. That all men whether they be HUI or MCU...sorry...welcome all!!^^

What Redave said..

Guido
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #87
LugNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadpath View Post
Hello,

Thanks in advance!
Hi,

That is pretty much it for the state of the art. Sorry. U are right about the difficulty in trying to get the hui spec....see....

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ight=I+freakin

in Reaperland at the present time there are a few csurf.dll's that work well. HUI is not one of them.^^

So if u have a multiple fader box that doesnt speak the MCP..mackie control protocol/sometimes refereed to as MCU....and u want to use it deeply with Reaper, then converting watever the box speaks into MCP is the ticket.^^

Hope to cu in Frankenhui land^^

Guido
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #88
JGrabowMST

I use an Avid Artist Mix. You can map one to work very well with Reaper using the EuCon control panel. Two units doesn't play so nicely, but there's also the EuCon plugin being worked on for Reaper, so there's plenty of future improvements.

I watched the video for Raven, and I did see it at AES, but I'm not really convinced about it. It's more marketed towards people who don't have the right equipment, and are looking for an all-in-one solution. I have my two artist mixes for Pro Tools, and most of the issues listed in the video, can be solved very easily. Need tracks closer together, or need to see a group together? Move the tracks together. The Raven may be convenient, but it's not however expensive it is, convenient.

That whole video was really gimmicky though...that weird background tone that comes and goes? Really trying to sell it...someone else, fine, but not for me.
JGrabowMST is offline   Reply With Quote