Old 11-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #41
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTF View Post
There's no shame in getting a top-notch keyboard and a cheap controller for MIDI CCs. Plus a nano controller would look pretty cool and get you lots of attention from the ladies in a attendance!
I don't suffer from that problem at all heh all i want is for it to work and feel ok.
Thanks for making me smile.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #42
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,101
Default

@Gremlin

Who me??

I know, but think about it, it's not like i'm looking for a Kurzweil, then all i need is my earbuds and here we go, almost.
Speaking of that, practically gave my k2500r away not long ago since i'm going all "VST". *don't shoot me! either*
I don't own a laptop either i could bring along with Reaper installed.
But i know what you are saying Gremlin, i know.
Also thats a small point of mine, why should i worry about this in the first place 2013, i mean if the dials and faders will work on a DAW in the first place, it's suppose to work one might think!

Exellent Gremlin, good have it in writing, agree and agreed!

You used a strap-on in public? sounds like a crowdpleaser. sorry but my english is rusty.
Are you also maby also going "all" VST btw, that direction, or?
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #43
PTF
Human being with feelings
 
PTF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
all i want is for it to work and feel ok.
I hope, young man, that you are referring to your MIDI controller here, and not the ladies I mentioned!
__________________
"Just when I thought I could not be stopped
When my chance came to be king
The ghosts of my life blew wilder than the wind"
PTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #44
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTF View Post
I hope, young man, that you are referring to your MIDI controller here, and not the ladies I mentioned!
Jes that got me started, thanks again! lol
Ps. only mentally young.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #45
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
EVERYTHING that is externally controllable in Reaper, will be controllable from a Novation SL controller. If something can not be controlled, then it is because Reaper does not support it. It has NOTHING to do with the controller you use.

Controllers use standard MIDI CC-messages to control things. The important word here is 'STANDARD'. You can pick up ANY controller and make it work (less the feedback, as I explained as well).
So, can you say the same about the midi keyboards we have been talking about here? and my worries has been all for nothing, which is Fine by me, believe me, exellent, fantastic, fabulous and the way it's ment to be played.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #46
technogremlin
Human being with feelings
 
technogremlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 2,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTF View Post
There's no shame in getting a top-notch keyboard and a cheap controller for MIDI CCs. Plus a nano controller would look pretty cool and get you lots of attention from the ladies in a attendance!
Totally agree with you there. However, not everyone can afford (or has room for) several controllers.

Although it has taken me years to collect (buy ) this stuff, I now have the CME UF5 for synth-action playing and controlling VST-instruments, the US-2400 control-surface for controlling Reaper itself, a RD-150 stage piano with wooden hammer-action keybed that I use as MIDI-keyboard for the 'more controlled' parts, a Yamaha WX-5 wind controller (i.e. a MIDI-sax) and a Korg padKontrol for drums. Now I'm going to get a Novation Zero SL because the UF5 doesn't have enough controls to map a really big synth (like Oatmeal) and that Vortex, because I want it and it's cheap

Tactile control is everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTF View Post
When you go and buy your keytar, you simply must adopt this pose when trying it out:
There are more poses to adopt, if only because the darn thing has a tilt-sensor
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #47
technogremlin
Human being with feelings
 
technogremlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 2,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Are you also maby also going "all" VST btw, that direction, or?
I've moved ITB many years ago and sold most of my hardware synths. I still have some stuff lying around but it's not hooked up to the studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
So, can you say the same about the midi keyboards we have been talking about here? and my worries has been all for nothing, which is Fine by me, believe me, exellent, fantastic, fabulous and the way it's ment to be played.
MIDI CC-messages are a standardized system, that is supported on both ends (controllers and software). There are issues with certain controllers having fixed mappings (my UF5 has for certain rotaries in some cases) and some plugins having fixed CC-message assignments. But this can al be worked around by using MIDI-mappers. Take a look at the link in my signature: I created my own very specific MIDI-mapper for the UF5 to get as much out of it as possible. However, that demonstrates nicely the absence of any real problems with linking controllers to software.

So (for me) when buying a MIDI-keyboard, it comes down to two things: how does it play and does it have enough controls to map to software. At the time I bought the UF5 (5-6 years back I guess) it was one of the most capable controllers in regard of amount of controls. It's still not bad, but something like the Nektar is of course something else... but remember the 5 year gap here
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #48
Nazarko
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
The Korg Nano controllers are fun stuff, but....



..and...

... should make it clear that he's not looking for a Nano controller
Techno Gremlin is right for now itll be a keyboard but the Nano and the zero i looked at were definitely interesting and I might consider them as future purchases.
Nazarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #49
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 24,743
Default

I was just standing in a music store looking at the Arturia KeyLab 49. Anyone used it? The only complaint without actually using it was the keys seemed a little skinny but could have been my interpretation. Otherwise it appeared to be built like a tank.

I already have an Axiom49 but a single key has a velocity that doesn't want to go beyond 100 or so otherwise it has been very good to me. I also have an old late 90s Fatar Studio Logic 88 wooden key controller that was over 1k new and I never use it. Dusting it off now just to see if it even still works. Anyhoo, my main question is the latest version of the KeyLab 49.
__________________
If it requires a null test to find it, it is by definition minuscule.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #50
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,101
Default

@Gremlin

Sort of ditto here exept you might have had Way! more toys then me to leave your hands.
For what it's worth, the first one was the worst, but i needed to make a mental statement that yes, i'm serious! good bye, sniff.
Computerpower and memory is not really a problem anymore so, bring it on VST makers!

I know, and very old.
Ahh, and maby also, some of the modern rotary knob that is "endless" maby is a problem also? just a thought.
I can only speak for what i have left with MIDI, the CS1x, which has assignable knobs also, works perfect and it's from '96-'97 i think.
MAM MB II, no problem what so ever.
But those two are leaving me one way or another so, def the CSIx since keys are screwed up and well, lets just say that, it's a goner so i "can't test midistuff atm.
But so yeah, Reaper handles and supports MIDI as i know it fine.

I hope you are right Gremlin, i seem to have been fixated by software and compability as the modern stuff gear have gone much into the software side to improove or what we shall call it, add functions? which means an eye for compability if i intend to use it and Windows is also moving at the same time.

One thing about the Nektar with it's extra extras is the Hard support for Reason, maby too hard since i'm not a Reason user?
Another keyboard might give extra support for Ableton, se where i'm going?
Lets say all our 4 keyboards have say 50 buttons in total, pads, knobs, faders,right?
If we would make a MIDI test on them with Reaper, and i mean the Standard MIDI only, which one would score the most/best?
No usage of their dedicated software is allowed remind you in this test.
Note i'm not dissing/"questioning" your Nektar at all.

Thank you for your detailed answers, wow.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #51
PTF
Human being with feelings
 
PTF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I was just standing in a music store looking at the Arturia KeyLab 49.
That has surely got to be the opening line to your next 12-bar blues number!
__________________
"Just when I thought I could not be stopped
When my chance came to be king
The ghosts of my life blew wilder than the wind"
PTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #52
technogremlin
Human being with feelings
 
technogremlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 2,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
One thing about the Nektar with it's extra extras is the Hard support for Reason, maby too hard since i'm not a Reason user?
Another keyboard might give extra support for Ableton, se where i'm going?
My padKontrol came with special support for Reason (and some others), I don't use Reason (even while it came with a license for Reason Essentials) but set it up for Reaper and plugins. No problems there. My US-2400 came with dedicated support for Sonar, Protools, Logic and Digital Performer, NOT for Reaper but I've set it up without much big problems and most of it's functionality works in Reaper (remember, this is with feedback and stuff I mentioned being a bit harder).

As I said before; controllers coming with specific support for product X only means that it has some 'easy setup' for product X. Other products you simply have to set it up yourself.

I have a harder time in getting windows to behave in regard of MIDI over USB-ports. So only the US-2400 is linked through USB (it's the only option), everything else in my studio is connected over good old fashioned MIDI-cords (utilizing a Roland A-880 MIDI-patchbay).
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #53
Nazarko
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 54
Default

Can someone explain HyperControl in their own words? Sorry for being such a beginner lol :P
Nazarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:22 AM   #54
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,101
Default

Quote:
As I said before; controllers coming with specific support for product X only means that it has some 'easy setup' for product X. Other products you simply have to set it up yourself.
This is understood, and not a problem doing it yourself that is.
Ps. Don't even think about it PTF!!
Quote:
I have a harder time in getting windows to behave in regard of MIDI over USB-ports. So only the US-2400 is linked through USB (it's the only option), everything else in my studio is connected over good old fashioned MIDI-cords (utilizing a Roland A-880 MIDI-patchbay).
I'm using M-AUDIO USB UNO with the gear i said, no problem, even using the outdated drivers on say Windows8.
Ps.HA! eat that! mr.quote!
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:32 AM   #55
technogremlin
Human being with feelings
 
technogremlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 2,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Ps.HA! eat that! mr.quote!
Hahahahaha..... you still have a lot to learn grasshoppah
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:38 AM   #56
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
Hahahahaha..... you still have a lot to learn grasshoppah
As you can se, never mess with a SmajjL on a Monday!
You are right also you furry little thing.
ps. and i did not even read a manual!
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:49 AM   #57
technogremlin
Human being with feelings
 
technogremlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 2,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
You are right also you furry little thing.
I must say that neither 'furry' or 'little' are applicable in my case
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:55 AM   #58
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
I must say that neither 'furry' or 'little' are applicable in my case
Pictures! or it did not happen!
What?? hahaha

And there goes the thread, R.I.P..

Set Force_OT [1]!
I'm going to the store right now and see if i can meet the Nektar and do my Very simple keytest atleast.
*tudelutt*

Last edited by SmajjL; 11-11-2013 at 03:40 AM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:35 AM   #59
technogremlin
Human being with feelings
 
technogremlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 2,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
I'm going to the store right now and see if i can meet the Nektar and do my Very simple keytest atleast.
Aah, back on topic Looking forward to your experiences.
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #60
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,101
Default

Oki.. here goes..

The Nektar has a more semi-soft-synth piano feel of the keys with minimal "glich" all realative to the keyboards we have been talking about, so there is a little glich.
With piano i mean it's not like an "all" feathered story synthie thing.
So, forget the glich thinking for a second..try.
Should i go half-nutts on the keys, the keys itself in lack of better words, is noisy, the noisiest ive heard.
Hope you understand and take glich out of your head as it is not what i mean in this case.

Oxygen has Very synthie feathered keys like you might expect for its price. *boing boing* with a nice resistance actually.
This is Very quiet to play on, quiet enough to be a selling argument if this is important should you go budget fully knowing this obviously can't be compared with the more expensive ones at all areas.

A thing called CME Z key is pretty close to piano feel and the "glich" sideways-thingie is a tad worse then the Nektar.
And the weight of the keys is also a tad heavyer.
Nothing really dramaticlly bad though about this thing though.

The Impulse was a supprise! knowing what i know now, it was the most piano feel ive tryed for a synth, in a good way and for it's price.
Also i compared the pads, but that is almost impossible as the feel is just about the same without sounds, so forget that.
Then i touched the rotary knobs, oops, it was endless, so maby i need an oppinion of the compability about those things afterall.
Also a personal a preferance, the whole thing looks Very pleasing to me in person.

And please, please take all this as a hint from me only, personal taste, not More! as i am not qualified as an expert reviewer, you should all go try them yourself, i can't voice this enough!
My conclusion for MYself is that AXIOMs keys are nice if i want a synthie combo, and the Impulse if i wanna get used to the more piano direction feel.
And this is all based on feel only of the keys only, no sounds what so ever, got it?

Have mercy.. and thanks for reading.

And karbomusic, your Arturia KeyLab was not there, maby that was for the best lol.
My career as a reviewer is over i think.
Also, if you guys go and try out stuff, i recommend Not trying out the new "analog stuff, your will get "picky" when you get home.
That's all from me, good bye world.

Last edited by SmajjL; 11-11-2013 at 09:02 AM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #61
technogremlin
Human being with feelings
 
technogremlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 2,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Oki.. here goes..
Thanks for the reviews

Talked to my intern today about the Nektar and he indeed sayd that especially the rebound of the keys is pretty noisy.

As for the endless rotaries, that makes no difference for controlling stuff, in the end the controller just sends out the CC-values. My UF5 has 'normal' rotaries mainly but one big endless rotary, mapping one or the other makes no difference
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #62
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,101
Default

You are welcome Gremlin, ohh man huh..

Is that what it's called in english, thanks.
Nothing loose, no glich, nothing bad quality feel, just, the word Gremlin say.

Is that right!? i actually thought that this endless stuff was maby conflicting with some "standards for some reason, like what happends after 127? syntax error, guru meditation, BSOD, anyway, excellent! thanks.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #63
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 24,743
Default

Quote:
And karbomusic, your Arturia KeyLab was not there, maby that was for the best lol
Thanks for looking! I checked the few reviews I could find and they all griped about the keys appearing as if they are the weak link in the chain. That's a shame because everything else I saw up close and personal was fantastic (metal frame, wood end caps, software, controllers). I was about to pick it up but I can't buy yet another controller that ends up with key issues.
__________________
If it requires a null test to find it, it is by definition minuscule.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #64
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,101
Default

You are welcome!

It does look good and retro'ish doesn't it.
You do get their VSTs Analog Lab (5000 sounds) and everything you say, it sounds kinda to good to be true for it's price should everything be "top gun".
Speaking of VSTs, if anyone is looking for their VSTs only, or the korg legacy suite for example, look for bundle-deals with their cheaper hardware.
It's like you get it cheaper even that way if i'm not dreaming it up wrong.
No please don't do that if it can be prevented.
I know you might feel like a kid again when buying toys, just make sure you can return it atleast.
I know you know that i know that you know, just reminding you and myself.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #65
technogremlin
Human being with feelings
 
technogremlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 2,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
...but I can't buy yet another controller that ends up with key issues.
Maybe check out the CME keyboards, you never know. The first series has problems with knobs and sliders falling apart (although mine is rock solid) and the USB-driver was not up to spec. However, even most of the negative reviews state the obvious quality and playability of the keyboard (besides the tank-like build of the case). The newer series still have the same quality keyboards but (going from reviews) have fixed the problems with the knobs/sliders and drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Speaking of VSTs, if anyone is looking for their VSTs only, or the korg legacy suite for example, look for bundle-deals with their cheaper hardware.
Yeah, my padKontrol came with a M1 vsti license that I never managed to be able to register on their website. The registration form kept rerouting me back to the beginning. I gave up pretty quick as from my perspective there is not one single commercial vsti that you can't do without
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #66
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,101
Default

@Gremlin

So this deal is not that you get a simple serialcode along with your stuff then, alright-y-then..
Too me the M1 is memories as a friend had it back then, and it would be nice to have it and refresh my memory.
I would contact support once, then after that, i would go Gremlin on them if it did not work out maby.
Hmm well, hmm..
I would prefeer to have One samplepack along with going all freeware also i think, for this argument.
I think we are getting better and better stuff from both sides so goodie goodie.

Ps. yes, i chickened out, don't dare to fight you on this area. hihi.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:12 AM   #67
PTF
Human being with feelings
 
PTF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
MYeah, my padKontrol came with a M1 vsti license that I never managed to be able to register on their website. The registration form kept rerouting me back to the beginning. I gave up pretty quick as from my perspective there is not one single commercial vsti that you can't do without
I've had problems with the korg software myself, which is a shame cause they have some top-notch gear. My problem was when I registered with them whilst online, and everything was fine, but when I went to use the plugin when offline, it told me I needed to register! What the hell?

P.S. proteus vx - the freeware M1 alternative - but you are already rocking that one I think!
__________________
"Just when I thought I could not be stopped
When my chance came to be king
The ghosts of my life blew wilder than the wind"
PTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #68
technogremlin
Human being with feelings
 
technogremlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 2,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTF View Post
P.S. proteus vx - the freeware M1 alternative - but you are already rocking that one I think!
Of course But thanks for the heads-up.
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #69
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,101
Default

So, it's Christmas now huh?

If all goes well ive might got myself a working midi keyboard finaly by tomorrow (nope i did Not..) , and the one i am getting is not even mentioned in this thread, i think.
So based on the keys/'quality'/looks/layout/functions/price i ended up choosing the Roland A-800 Pro.

In theory all the other bonus things should work enough for my needs but according to reviews, maby with some extra more effort then say, the Impulse with it's automap thing for example (on supporting DAWs/plugs) but i actually want to do things manualy and standard midi is atleast supported by all DAWs/plugs right?
If one is used to the Reaper way, then hello, this is no problem for me as long as the thing has options to customize as much stuff as possible and after that, save! ability thank you very much.

For anyone interested, i will report back on what is what when i get my hands on that thing.

Ps. Should anything unacceptable thingie show up with that thing, then my runner up is actually.. the Impulse thing, let's hope not though.

C'mon mr.postman! show up already!

Last edited by SmajjL; 12-20-2013 at 12:09 AM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:00 AM   #70
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,101
Default

Aehh, i created a new thread for it so others that is potentialy interested can find the keyboard easyer on the net with ease.
Thank you everyone here that has helped out.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.