Old 07-29-2019, 02:07 PM   #1
Fabian
Human being with feelings

Default Minilogue firmware update...

I just updated the firmware of my Korg Minilogue; there is a system update to 2.01 available on the Korg website.

Since it appears that lots of people have problems with this update, I just want to make a note about one issue that had me fiddling with the update for two nights. Just in case someone else...

It seems that the Korg SW does not go well with the W10 1903 version. After several unsuccessful tries, I reverted my Surface Pro 3 back to the 1809 W10 version, and then the update went as smoothly as described in the update manual by Korg. Since 1903 broke lots of other (less important, but still) stuff, I am staying with the 1809 version for now, even though MS will bug me about updating.

Last edited by Fabian; 07-30-2019 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Miswrote 1803 instead of 1809
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:12 PM   #2
EvilDragon

Korg USB MIDI driver didn't work with 1903, but they updated it.

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/1/285/

See if that works on 1903.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:51 AM   #3
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Korg USB MIDI driver didn't work with 1903, but they updated it.

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/1/285/

See if that works on 1903.
That's exactly the one I used, version 1.15 r31e. It did not work with 1903 on my Surface Pro 3. It worked fine when I reverted to 1809.

It seems that 1903 has a very different registry structure when it comes to MIDI, compared to 1809. Maybe that is the issue...
Old 07-30-2019, 09:45 AM   #4
bobtom1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
That's exactly the one I used, version 1.15 r31e. It did not work with 1903 on my Surface Pro 3. It worked fine when I reverted to 1809.

It seems that 1903 has a very different registry structure when it comes to MIDI, compared to 1809. Maybe that is the issue...
After reading your initial post I decided to try it out with my Monologue and had exactly the same issues on both my laptop and desktop.

I too have reverted back to the previous version of Windows until this issue is sorted.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:34 AM   #5
EvilDragon

There's also this:

https://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/in...y-2019-update/

That worked for my nanoKEY Studio.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #6
Fabian

Quote:
There's also this:

Yes that looks exactly like my problem. Bewildered, I stared at this dialog for so many times

Even right after having the installer telling me that the driver installed properly, there was no driver to be uninstalled.

One strange thing here is that on some other place (that I cannot bother to look for now) it was claimed that the Korg installer only supports 10 midi entries, and I definitely had only midi0: to midi9: on that dialog.

A pity I didn't find yesterday the page you linked to ED, but then reverting back to 1809 solved a bunch of other issues that were introduced by 1903, so I'm happy.

Thanks
Old 07-30-2019, 11:18 AM   #7
karbomusic

I know and trust you are sharp but I can't help but notice that down arrow that seems to be saying "there's more". Just a sanity check for a friend.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:50 PM   #8
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I know and trust you are sharp but I can't help but notice that down arrow that seems to be saying "there's more". Just a sanity check for a friend.

There was no such arrow on the dialog that showed up on my Surface Pro 3. For sure.

EDIT: And I had to check it now just to be 100% sure. I simply had to... Thanks.

EDIT x2: I found the post about the "max 10 MIDI devices";: https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-u...B-MIDI-device- It doesn't exactly say that the Korg SW only supports max 10 devices, but something close to that:

Quote:
If you have connected more than 10 MIDI devices to the PC, MIDI Device may not be recognized.
Also, since Windows sets the Driver for each USB terminal even on the same MIDI Device, there is a possibility that the upper limit may be reached even with 10 or less connections.

Last edited by Fabian; 07-30-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:32 PM   #9
EvilDragon

Max 10 MIDI devices was a Win XP limitation (IIRC) that Korg baked into their drivers and never really fixed...
Old 07-31-2019, 12:29 AM   #10
bobtom1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post

There was no such arrow on the dialog that showed up on my Surface Pro 3. For sure.

EDIT: And I had to check it now just to be 100% sure. I simply had to... Thanks.
Thought I'd better check this too and no arrow showed up until I plugged the Monologue into a different USB port. Lo and behold the arrow showed up. I unplugged and plugged again and the arrow never ever showed up again! Go figure.

Quote:
There's also this:

Anyway, thanks very much EvilDragon for the link. I thought I'd try it on my laptop to see if I could make it work. So after re-updating to the latest Windows version and following the instructions in the link, including in the comments, all works well now including the Korg sound librarian.