Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-06-2019, 04:56 PM   #1
ernzo
Human being with feelings

Default Alesis v61 VS Icon Ikeyboard x6/nano?.. (Nope, settled with Nektar Impakt LX88+)

Hi there!
I'm trying to decide between this two for a simple controller Keyboard..

Alesis: https://www.alesis.com/products/view/v61
Icon: https://iconproaudio.com/products/keyboards/61keys-3/

While I'm no real Pianist, I still enjoy learning/playing from time to time;
so my interest is in the Quality/feel/response of the Keys themselves, and the midi velocity curve.

I really don't care about the extra pads and buttons, but ofc they're a welcome extra.

So,
Which one is the best?
Anyone got experience with them?

Could the Icon's Semi-weighted Keys be noticeably heavier/better than the Alesis?

Do you know any other Simple controller Keyboard that would give better feel/response without going full weighted or breaking the bank?

What about the Nektar Impackt LX61, Arturia KeyLab 61 or Komplete Kontrol A61,
Could they offer better response/feel?
Or are they more synth/control oriented?

Btw, I've tryed the M-Audio Keystation and the keys seemed to have even less travel than my ages old, near-dead Keyrig49..

Last edited by ernzo; 07-31-2019 at 05:15 AM.
ernzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:13 AM   #2
ernzo

So, I just bite the bullet and settled with.. the Nektar Impakt LX88+!

It was a complex decision as I was tryin to decide either going with the 61 keys Alesis V61/Icon X6..
or just going full house with the Impakt LX88+, Keystation 88 MKII, Icon X8 or Midiplus 8X-II.

Since the Alesis and the Icon 61 keyers had controls on the left, they were taking more real state than necessary (112cm and 102cm respectively), so I thought it would make more sense to add 10cm to that and get done with the whole matter..

-I "demoed" the keys of the Keystation on the shop, and I was a bit disappointed, as it didn't feel any better than my +15yo Keyrig 49,
and the Action was apparently shorter? I donno..

The Alesis was out of the line, as they don't have a 88 keys in that range,
so again I was left with the Icon X8 and the Midiplus 8X-II.

I still think Icon X8 looks good enough in terms of Design and possible Quality, but the controls on the left take some unnecessary space,
and no online shop seemed to have the "nano" version on sale.

Then I phoned Thomann and asked them about the Midiplus 8X,
they passed me with a Pianist in that section who told me the keys might be/feel better than the Icon, but he told me since Midiplus is a very new product his recommendation would be to get the Keystation 88 instead.

So I watched a few reviews of the Nektar and..
Since nobody seems to have/know or properly review the Midiplus;
and since I didn't like the Keystation;
and the relatively unknown Icon takes more space than optimal..

I decided to pay a little bit more and go with the fully featured Nektar!

-I think it will be a good decision:
Albeit I'm not gonna use most of it, the DAW/transport controls are interesting and they seem to integrate well with Reaper.
The Pads seem of better quality than the Alesis, which look a bit stiff..

And more importantly, the response/sensitivity and overall quality of the keys seems to be something between the Alesis and the Novation Launchkey.

Novation seem to have the best quality keys, but alas they don't do a 88-key version.
But watchin a few reviews I got the impression the Nektar keys might be more responsive/sensitive than the Alesis, albeit more noisy..

So all in all I thought the Nektar Impakt is the best option in this range, and that's what I settled with!

In theory it will be shipped tomorrow by Amazon,
so let's see how true is that!

I will report in a few days and tell you my initial impressions..
Until then I will have to rtfm, prepare the software and watch a few more Nektar videos..

PS: And if I find out the keys are just unbearably noisy,
I have a couple of ideas involving glue and some rubber fingers.. :P

Last edited by ernzo; 07-31-2019 at 05:19 AM.
ernzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:20 AM   #3
thevisi0nary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernzo View Post
So, I just bite the bullet and settled with.. the Nektar Impakt LX88+!

It was a complex decision as I was tryin to decide either going with the 61 keys Alesis V61/Icon X6..
or just going full house with the Impakt LX88+, Keystation 88 MKII, Icon X8 or Midiplus 8X-II.

Since the Alesis and the Icon 61 keyers had controls on the left, they were taking more real state than necessary (112cm and 102cm respectively), so I thought it would make more sense to add 10cm to that and get done with the whole matter..

-I "demoed" the keys of the Keystation on the shop, and I was a bit disappointed, as it didn't feel any better than my +15yo Keyrig 49,
and the Action was apparently shorter? I donno..

The Alesis was out of the line, as they don't have a 88 keys in that range,
so again I was left with the Icon X8 and the Midiplus 8X-II.

I still think Icon X8 looks good enough in terms of Design and possible Quality, but the controls on the left take some unnecessary space,
and no online shop seemed to have the "nano" version on sale.

Then I phoned Thomann and asked them about the Midiplus 8X,
they passed me with a Pianist in that section who told me the keys might be/feel better than the Icon, but he told me since Midiplus is a very new product his recommendation would be to get the Keystation 88 instead.

So I watched a few reviews of the Nektar and..
Since nobody seems to have/know or properly review the Midiplus;
and since I didn't like the Keystation;
and the relatively unknown Icon takes more space than optimal..

I decided to pay a little bit more and go with the fully featured Nektar!

-I think it will be a good decision:
Albeit I'm not gonna use most of it, the DAW/transport controls are interesting and they seem to integrate well with Reaper.
The Pads seem of better quality than the Alesis, which look a bit stiff..

And more importantly, the response/sensitivity and overall quality of the keys seems to be something between the Alesis and the Novation Launchkey.

Novation seem to have the best quality keys, but alas they don't do a 88-key version.
But watchin a few reviews I got the impression the Nektar keys might be more responsive/sensitive than the Alesis, albeit more noisy..

So all in all I thought the Nektar Impakt is the best option in this range, and that's what I settled with!

In theory it will be shipped tomorrow by Amazon,
so let's see how true is that!

I will report in a few days and tell you my initial impressions..
Until then I will have to rtfm, prepare the software and watch a few more Nektar videos..

PS: And if I find out the keys are just unbearably noisy,
I have a couple of ideas involving glue and some rubber fingers.. :P
I would love to hear what you will do about noisey Keys, it’s one of the most annoying things about most midi keyboards.
thevisi0nary is offline   Reply With Quote