Old 05-08-2011, 06:49 AM   #41
ngarjuna
Human being with feelings

Wow this thread is old school!

Indeed, as everyone is saying, it is much easier now than it used to be: you should be able to plug and go without worrying about drivers at all.

I don't know any details of your system, but I will say this: despite the problems I used to have with my Faderport (many!), since going to Windows 7 I've had none, not a single one. I am beginning to think that all the crap my Faderport put me through was nothing more than a USB device fighting with Windows XP (I know, right!). I doubt you're going to want to upgrade your OS (assuming you're not using 7, which you might be) for a $100 auxiliary device but it's worth mentioning anyway (the solutions I ended up finding that solved my problems in various other Faderport threads usually involved attacking Windows XP itself and its USB device handling).
ngarjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #42
jon_maxwell

It does have most of it's functions but I'm still not getting a response from rewind, transport, fader mode or the automation of the fader. Maybe I can try uninstalling then reinstalling the faderport?

EDIT: Also, yes I am on Windows 7...and with the previous posts, I thought that might be the problem. With you guys saying it should work 100% out of the box, I am set on reinstalling the faderport.

Last edited by jon_maxwell; 05-08-2011 at 04:09 PM. Reason: mention OS
jon_maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #43
icemac

all good on XP sp3
icemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #44
jon_maxwell

Default UPDATE

Plugged the faderport in at work, (windows 7), installed right away,
set the control surface to presonus faderport, no response, added HUI (partial), got response...same issue as before. Not all the functions are there.

Could I trust there would be a fix in the next version of Reaper?
Old 05-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #45
icemac

your faderport must be broken
icemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:10 AM   #46
ngarjuna

It does sound like there might be a problem with the unit itself. I don't think you said what version of REAPER you're using but it's 100% functional in 4beta4.

It could also be a firmware problem (I know the firmware updater hung and acted wonky when I did mine, I got lucky that it was actually finished when it freaked out) possibly; not sure if you can reload the firmware over itself or not. You might want to just contact Presonus and see.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #47
jon_maxwell

Right now I've got version 3.76. Is the new beta somewhere where I can download it to try it out with this control surface?
Old 05-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #48
jon_maxwell

Default SUCCESS

I got the beta and it is indeed 100% functional! Sooooo happy to see that!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #49
Thuneau

When you guys say it works 100% for you, do your Mix, Proj and Trns buttons do anything?
I just got a Faderport and was hoping I could switch between TCP and MCP windows with these, but they don't do anything.
Also, I got the latest firmware and my fader motor is not working. I can move the fader and see the software fader follow, but not the other way around.
I'm on Windows 7 64 bit with 64 bit Reaper Beta.
Thuneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:26 AM   #50
ngarjuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuneau View Post
When you guys say it works 100% for you, do your Mix, Proj and Trns buttons do anything?
I just got a Faderport and was hoping I could switch between TCP and MCP windows with these, but they don't do anything.
Also, I got the latest firmware and my fader motor is not working. I can move the fader and see the software fader follow, but not the other way around.
I'm on Windows 7 64 bit with 64 bit Reaper Beta.
I only have use of those buttons because I'm using the modified CS_SURF plugin that Yhertogh created a while back. It works in Windows 7 x64 but I use REAPER 32bit so no idea if it works in 64bit as well; I would think maybe it would, though, since it works in the 64bit OS (which would be the more likely point of failure).

It allows you, in addition to mapping those three keys, to make some other small adjustments (including shift-hold).

Check out this thread esp post 19 on for more details.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #51
Thuneau

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
I only have use of those buttons because I'm using the modified CS_SURF plugin that Yhertogh created a while back. It works in Windows 7 x64 but I use REAPER 32bit so no idea if it works in 64bit as well; I would think maybe it would, though, since it works in the 64bit OS (which would be the more likely point of failure).

It allows you, in addition to mapping those three keys, to make some other small adjustments (including shift-hold).

Check out this thread esp post 19 on for more details.
Thanks, I will try the other Faderport plugin.

What bums me out is the Faderport's motorized fader doesn't work on my main DAW computer ever since I ran the firmware update. But it works just fine on my laptop computer with Reaper. It seems that the firmware update software changes some settings on Faderport's driver which make the fader not respond to Reaper correctly.
I will try to restore my DAW to the latest restore point and hope that the driver loses the settings.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:19 AM   #52
ngarjuna

That's a bummer. Thanks for the warning, though, I've never done a fw update on mine and now I know not to wonder if it's a good idea =).
Old 06-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #53
Thuneau

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
That's a bummer. Thanks for the warning, though, I've never done a fw update on mine and now I know not to wonder if it's a good idea =).
I used a restore point on my DAW, but the Faderport still didn't work right. In addition it was not tracking volume levels in Reaper on my laptop correctly. I searched through a bunch of discussions on Presonus website and found a link to the 3 year old firmware rev 1.2. I ran the firmware upgrade (actually downgrade) and Faderport is now acting properly.
So, a warning to all new users of the Faderport: do not upgrade the firmware because it will break your functionality with Reaper. If you get a new Faderport that doesn't quite work right with Reaper, just run this firmware downgrade:
http://www.presonus.com/media/downlo...0Installer.zip
It will most likely fix any issues you might have in Reaper.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:19 AM   #54
airon

Thanks for the tip. Good to know.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #55
ScottyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuneau View Post
I used a restore point on my DAW, but the Faderport still didn't work right. In addition it was not tracking volume levels in Reaper on my laptop correctly. I searched through a bunch of discussions on Presonus website and found a link to the 3 year old firmware rev 1.2. I ran the firmware upgrade (actually downgrade) and Faderport is now acting properly.
So, a warning to all new users of the Faderport: do not upgrade the firmware because it will break your functionality with Reaper. If you get a new Faderport that doesn't quite work right with Reaper, just run this firmware downgrade:
http://www.presonus.com/media/downlo...0Installer.zip
It will most likely fix any issues you might have in Reaper.
Sweet! I'm going to try this tonight!
Old 06-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #56
ScottyD

Well, I did two things to get it back working! First, updated...err backdated? to the firmware 1.2 listed above. Then strangely I set the Faderport to "disable" in the MIDI Controllers section...

W00t!
Old 06-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #57
Travst

Thanks to the posters here. I bought a "broken" Faderport and got it working perfectly with Reaper this morning after reading all the tips and installing the v1.2 firmware. I researched potential fixes before buying the unit, then took a gamble that I could get it working. It paid off... $33 for the Faderport.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #58
sharpdog

+1 for first installing the current drivers, find out that it doesn't work right, and search for the downgrade.
sharpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #59
Ed Zeppeli

Man, I rented a faderport last month to give it a shot. Updated the firmware, installed the latest drivers and it works 100 percent.

I don't know how I every mixed stuff without it. Love.

Warren
Ed Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:59 AM   #60
Travst

After getting my Faderport to work on my work computer, I found that the unit still wouldn't work at home. At work, I'm running XP 32-bit and 32-bit Reaper v4. At home, it's Win7 64-bit with 64-bit Reaper v4. In both systems, the Faderport seems to be using the standard Windows USB audio driver. As I stated earlier, I've installed the 1.2 firmware on the Faderport.

I've tried rebooting the system and reloading Reaper. The Faderport MIDI device in Reaper is disabled, and the Faderport profile in Control Surfaces is enabled. I've also tried uninstalling the USB audio device, pulling the USB cable from the Faderport, rebooting the computer, and then plugging the Faderport back in. Win7 does recognize that the device is plugged in. I unplugged my MIDI keyboard during all of this installation work.

When power is applied to the unit with the USB cable, the STOP button lights up. I've been holding down that button until the OUTPUT button blinks and then pressing OUTPUT. All lights go off at that point and the unit isn't controlling Reaper.

I'm confident I can get this thing to work over time but geez... this has been a fair amount of effort. The next thing I'm going to try is to make sure that all the old Reaper directories are deleted. I've had 3 different versions of Reaper on the machine, including 32-bit and 64-bit versions. My thought is that Win7 may be looking into an older folder for some information such as the (x86) folder. If that doesn't work, I'll re-load Reaper again after deleting the Reaper directory.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #61
airon

I'm using the unit with the latest firmware without trouble.

If anything goes 'fuck' I just unplug the unit, plug it back in, call up the preferences to check the control surfaces page, delete and reinstate if necessary, and it's all go from there.

Win7 x64 with Reaper x86. I'll try out Reaper x64 as well and report back. Hmm. That said I only use the v4 betas atm. That may not help you.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #62
Travst

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post

If anything goes 'fuck' I just unplug the unit, plug it back in, call up the preferences to check the control surfaces page, delete and reinstate if necessary, and it's all go from there.

Win7 x64 with Reaper x86. I'll try out Reaper x64 as well and report back. Hmm. That said I only use the v4 betas atm. That may not help you.
I'm using the v4 betas as well.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #63
d.bop

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post

Latest firmware here, too. Works fine for me.

I did have problems with newer firmware probably about a year ago and I had to switch to v1.2, but a few months later I tried the newest driver from the Presonus website again and it worked just fine.

My Faderport is working in both x86/x64 versions of REAPER (v3 and v4) on Windows 7 x64.

Strange.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #64
Travst

I resolved the issue with the Faderport. The Control Surface mode is set to Presonus Faderport and the midi ins and outs are set to USB Audio Device. I renamed my USB Audio Device to Faderport so that it appears that way in all my settings. The MIDI Devices show the Faderport, and I set it to Disabled in that panel.

The Presonus manual details how to set up the device in Ableton Live! I booted Ableton, followed the instructions, and got the Faderport working. After that, it was easy to understand what to do in Reaper Options.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #65
b.e.c.i.d

Default Faderport users - can you check that for me?

I've tried in another thread with no luck, so maybe you can help me.
First things first - my Faderport works and I never had issues with it.

I've noticed however that when I'm selecting a track with my mouse the Faderport focus will follow, ie. it will control the track I have just selected. That is expected.

However, when I select a track with trough an action (say: "Track: Select track 01") the MCP/TCP will select the new track but the Faderport focus will stay put where it was (ie. Faderport will control the sames track it was controlling before invoking the action).

I'm using the alternative plugin, tried both values for the select_is_touched parameter but I had similar experience with the stock plugin as well.

Is it the way it should be? Or is it just me...
My idea was to select track quickly from my Launchpad and keep balancing them through the Faderport. The way it works right now doesn't help.

Faderport owners - can you check and confirm/deny that your configuration yields the same result?

Greetings,
B.E.C.I.D
b.e.c.i.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #66
jon_maxwell

Default Heads Up

Just a heads up, if you aren't getting a response from your motorized fader after installing the firmware, you will have to reinstall it but THIS TIME when it says "unplug your faderport and wait 3 seconds" it is not talking about only unplugging the USB, you need to unplug both USB AND fader power, wait 3 seconds then plug them both back in.

It was a revelation I had today.