Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #1
hopi
Human being with feelings

Default Windows 10 and 'how can they be so dumb?'

Ok so just for the halibit, I installed 10 on a virtual machine to get a sense of it... I really don't care to mess up my beautiful Win7 Pro 64 system.

And, me... I like the old skool look and feel of win 2000... no theme shit, etc., just clean and clear with classic folders and start menu and taskbar...

No Metro BS, etc. I'm not on a tablet, I'm on a dual monitor desktop... and I freakin' want it to look the way I want it to look!

So ummm Ok... compared to 8.1 MS has put some semblance of the Start menu back in .... but not really so that we can customize it like we could in 7...

so Stardock says they will soon have Start 10 for Win 10... that gives us back some of that...
Silly ain't it that a third party developer can supply simple stuff that MS removes....

So to me, I wonder how 'they' can be so dumb as to not just include all that legacy stuff from 7 [still the most popular and most used OS] into
Win 10?

Seems really silly to me.... If it was me calling the shots I'd give my long time users those opetions... ALWAYS!
Old 08-01-2015, 09:12 AM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
So to me, I wonder how 'they' can be so dumb as to not just include all that legacy stuff from 7 [still the most popular and most used OS] into
Win 10?
Hey hopi, Yeah, when I was trying to set up my wife's comp, I wanted the Control panel. It took a while but I finally found it under a different name, but it took more mouse clicks to get where I wanted to go.

Did you notice your screen being a little darker, or maybe just having kind of a dark hue to it. My wife actually likes it, she thinks the pictures look a little clearer.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:36 AM   #3
The Telenator
Banned

Smells more like 2-day-old cod, lying on the dock ...

I think Microsoft's main problem right now is that it is being controlled (or at least they are listening too heavily to) the Marketing Dept. And I think the leadership of this whole company are a bunch of scared rabbits ever since the release of Windows 8.0.

MS was a company that never seemed to listen to the public at all. Now, they seem scared to make a move without consumer input.

I don't think they have one real visionary in the whole lot of them. I may criticise Apple a lot and dis some of their prices and products, but I have to deeply respect their 'vision' and the boldness they have in bringing product to market.

A case in point is their WATCH -- a bold move that may actually flop in the long run. The darn thing is such a bold effort that they deserve notice despite what the outcome may be.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:41 AM   #4
paulheu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hey hopi, Yeah, when I was trying to set up my wife's comp, I wanted the Control panel. It took a while but I finally found it under a different name, but it took more mouse clicks to get where I wanted to go.
[right-click START]
control panel

How hard can it be..
paulheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:45 AM   #5
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulheu View Post
[right-click START]
control panel
Aaah, okay, thanks paulheu. I don't think I'll be doing any more with her computer but it's good to know.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
paulheu

Personally I think the notion that any company should ad infinitum keep including every previous option and feature of any previous iteration of their OS is silly.

If anyone is to be commended for trying it would in fact be Microsoft who has the best track record for maintaining backwards compatibility of any company.

If you must have the old start menu for some obscure reason there is several options giving it to you. If you feel Windows 7 suits you better, stay on that OS. It's fine and is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Windows 10 as an OS is great, it offers significant improvements over previous versions and will bring an unified and consistent UI/UX to any device it runs on while tailoring it to such device.

If you do not like it, that's fine, just stick to what you have. To me it seems that already people are simply not willing to allow a new way of doing things grow on them and want to stick to 15+ year old ways of working. You also still drive a T-Ford to work because you prefer the sound the engine makes?
Old 08-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #7
Tod

^^^^^ Thant's not my case....
Old 08-01-2015, 10:11 AM   #8
viscofisy

The reason they don't just make it look and work like Windows7 is that it isn't really any better than 7, and that would make the lack of any real progress for non-touchscreen desktops and laptops too obvious.

Looks like the main reason for 10 is for Microsoft's benefit - one OS run on phones, tablets, desktops etc.
That's like proudly announcing that you should buy the latest car because it shares an engine with other ones.
The whole thing looks like a catalogue for Windows Store apps.

It speaks volumes that one of the first "top "new" features" listed on web reviews is that you can make it look like 7!!

What else is new - 3D revolving cubes for people who didn't realise where their currently open programs were, and a voice recognition system that doubles as a node for rifling your emails.

Some users report it as "snappier" than 8, which is exactly what some people imagined about 8 when switching from 7.

WASAPI is "almost as good" as ASIO - but it was supposedly "almost as good" when they brought it out in Vista. Even if it is almost as good - so what?

Windows10 - we've took away some annoying bits and replaced them with the old stuff.....plus some 3D cubes and a lot of data gathering junk.
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #9
sostenuto

Three Desktop PCs ... all went to Win8 Pro, then 8.1 Pro (64-bit) as soon as released. Minor issues. Went on Win 10 Pro pre-release month ago and on v10240 when it first Updated. Two i5 PCs working well (one with Reaper) doing well. One i7 w/Reaper working fine every day .... BUT, Mail, Calendar, Cortana died with v10240 Update and no fix so far. Why only this i7 ... go figure.

I have a different perspective from some above, coming from long career at HP. Focus is now on enterprise, believing consumer will gain some benefits.
What other choice do they have???

Very committed to PC & Windows, often so frustrated I swear to go to Apple no matter the cost. Ha! Mac Pro ??!! Apple lost me when they canned mid-range PC and forced to iMac or Pro.

Microsoft/ Windows 10 is the future and might as well go with the flow. Waiting for MS Support call back now ..... ~200 minutes. Still, enjoying Reaper, Omnisphere, Nebula 3FREE testing ......

My 2cts

Thom B
sostenuto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #10
ivansc

Remember all the same whining about Win7 when it cam out and everyone on XP didnt want to change anything?

I haven't actually checked back that far, but I would almost put money on the Win 7 lovers currently complaining right and left being the SAME people who complained about Win7 when it was the Next Big Thing and XP was "what we know".

What a bunch of whining wimps! Either get the upgrade or don't. You achieve nothing whatsoever by moaning about what you miss from "good old Windows 7".
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:44 AM   #11
Lannister

Speaking as someone that, after giving Windows 8 a good 6 months on it's own, ended up buying Start8 from Stardock... Having tried Windows 10 earlier in the year and now with a clean install at RTM, I have no interest in any start menu replacements.

I used start8 not because I wanted the Windows 7 (and backwards) feel, but because I missed a start menu in general.

I have it now, and it's as functional as I need it to be.
Lannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:44 AM   #12
viscofisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Either get the upgrade or don't. You achieve nothing whatsoever by moaning about what you miss from "good old Windows 7".
The Microsoft website for Windows10 mentions "good old Windows7".

Why shouldn't people who own Windows7 discs say exactly what they think of the "upgrade" offer?

Seems strange you'd rather funnel people towards Windows10 without any questions or criticisms.

Thankfully there is an option - stay with 7 - and that's what I'm commenting on.

If you want to talk up Windows10 that's your business, but let other people have their say instead of playing policeman.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:46 AM   #13
chip mcdonald

I just put it on my laptop.

My take on it so far is that it's an intelligent update of Win7's ui, and pretty successfully bridges the uncanny valley between MS and Mac.

In essence, what it does is kind of what I've been saying Reaper needs: a clarifying of the menus based complexity/feature.

On the "first" level it seems very different, in that it is more obfuscated to get to certain settings one expects at the top of the hierarchy on Win7/XP. On the other hand, to the non-technical prone-to-use-a-Mac, it's probably much easier to take in.

As you go into the menuing, from the tertiary level on, it looks increasingly like Windows 7, really to a fault. While I may not like that from a reflexive Win7 experienced user standpoint, from a "fresh start" approach I think they should be commended for effectively doing exactly what Reaper needs: arranging the menuing in a progressively more complex manner, as well as organizing settings/features in a more coherent contextural manner.

As part of that, in my brief drive-by appraisal of it, while some settings were not where I was *used* to them being, they were re-integrated in the menus to *where they should be in the first place*. In this way I wasn't too bothered by not being able to find certain things where they used to be, because they had actually been rearranged to go where intuition says they should be.

So in my thinking I now regard Win7 as being sort of like Reaper, in that there is a sort of cluttered mish-mash of settings in first order menus that both dilute the clarity of the most-used settings, as well as make navigating the whole thing more convoluted. It feels much more thought out, and while it mimics the Apple mindset of menu tiering, I think it actually does it in a more regimented and concise fashion.

In effect, I think MS has beaten Apple at their own game with Windows 10, while at the same time not really creating a burden for users of past versions of Windows. I don't like that they're really taking a cue from Google with their privacy rights grab, BUT they are upfront about it in a rather clear way, and you're allowed to simply turn things off.

My only real complaint is it seems I still can't get white text on black backgrounds easy, but YMMV.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:53 AM   #14
viscofisy

Quote:
Remember all the same whining about Win7 when it cam out and everyone on XP didnt want to change anything?

I haven't actually checked back that far, but I would almost put money on the Win 7 lovers currently complaining right and left being the SAME people who complained about Win7 when it was the Next Big Thing and XP was "what we know".
Might those be the same people who wisely avoided Vista, got 7, then avoided 8 and 8.1 ?

Many people who jumped on shiny new 8 are no doubt relieved to jump to shiny new 10........satisfied 7 users, not so much. There's good reason for that, and it isn't nostalgia....it's that 7 works perfectly well without looking like a gigantic mobile phone advert for Windows Store.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:09 AM   #15
gibi25

Quote:

What a bunch of whining wimps! Either get the upgrade or don't. You achieve nothing whatsoever by moaning about what you miss from "good old Windows 7".
This reminds me of the XP time when people did not want to upgrade to SP3.
gibi25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:05 PM   #16
bluzkat

Call me old fashioned, but I'm staying on Windows 7. My PC is just running so nice, I don't want to mess with it.

There be security updates until 2020 for Windows 7. I'll figure where to go from here when its time for a new computer. I've been using this computer less than a year, so its still got a lot of life left in it.

I would have upgraded to Windows 10 but it doesn't really offer me anything new (that I need). No more upgrading just for the sake of upgrading.

Enjoy.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:19 PM   #17
sostenuto

=pNo right or wrong here, and 2020 is a long time away, BUT drivers could be a concern. Updates are one thing, but it seems driver updates for other than Win 10 will be fairly limited?

Doesn't 'worry' me, but my transition was quick and easy. Yours could be a royal PITA !!!
Old 08-01-2015, 05:39 PM   #18
Fergler

I upgraded also.

Since the upgrade, WASAPI Exclusive no longer works in Reaper. I also have a substantial delay every time I hit play regardless of my roundtrip latency or buffer size.

I also managed to crash Microsoft Edge within 20 minutes, not a great sign. (Open a page, Right click, View Source, then close that window -before it loads fully- ... = crash, apparently. Strange.. but repeatable) Besides that, Edge feels very slow, for example it takes almost a second to be able to click on the address bar, having to wait for it to fade in.

On that subject, the fade in time for the notifications and pop-ups from the taskbar is also slow. For e.g., the volume slider. I have to wait for it to pop up before I can adjust it, same or internet window, etc.

I also was expecting some new icons, something new that matches the new OS over-all theme. But no, still have those butt-ugly yellow filing folders. They could be just a clear 'glass' style so they match any colour theme that the user chooses, but as they are they stand out like a sore thumb. I like the new Recycle Bin, though.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:39 PM   #19
paulheu

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
On the "first" level it seems very different, in that it is more obfuscated to get to certain settings one expects at the top of the hierarchy on Win7/XP. On the other hand, to the non-technical prone-to-use-a-Mac, it's probably much easier to take in.
Good opinion response IMO.

I think many WIN7 users will like the right click menu on the START as it brings most of what you'd expect if you want/have to/need to go a bit deeper. It's basically all there, just a right mouse click away..

It's also easy enough to remove the tiles from Start if you must.

And you'll probably loose that if you install some 3rd party start menu option.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:47 PM   #20
paulheu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibi25 View Post
This reminds me of the XP time when people did not want to upgrade to SP3.
Yeah, and anyone here remember the all out war when yEnc showed up on Usenet.. Those were the days.

As said previously, people are creatures of habit and do not like change, even if it's for the better overall.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:55 PM   #21
The Telenator
Banned

Microsoft currently has 91% of the computer market -- and that is data of last week, and it includes PCs, tablets, phones, and anything that needs an OS.

I'm going to make a prediction here:

In 5 years, Microsoft will be down to only 75% of market with a red arrow falling.

You revisit and see if I was right. They have spent the last dozen years high on their horse, basically treating customers like shiite. Remember when you couldn't even find a contact on their web pages? Hell, you couldn't even send 'em an email. And if you did find out their addresses by searching elsewhere on the net, you'd be very lucky to get a response ... and even then it wouldn't be anything but a form letter of thank you!

Yeah, MS has had it coming. Now, they are screwing their customer by putting out product that makes most users lives more difficult. You just see if I'm right about the future.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:58 PM   #22
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
I upgraded also.

Since the upgrade, WASAPI Exclusive no longer works in Reaper. I also have a substantial delay every time I hit play regardless of my roundtrip latency or buffer size.

I also managed to crash Microsoft Edge within 20 minutes, not a great sign. (Open a page, Right click, View Source, then close that window -before it loads fully- ... = crash, apparently. Strange.. but repeatable) Besides that, Edge feels very slow, for example it takes almost a second to be able to click on the address bar, having to wait for it to fade in.
....... I like the new Recycle Bin, though.

Hang in there a bit .... I have never had any problem with MS Edge and use it heavily. Had a lengthy session with MS Support today and Mail, Calendar, Cortana issues were NOT fixed after extensive 'Remote' machinations. Level II Support is calling tomorrow morning.
Obviously peculiar to this i7 PC since other two i5 PCs do not have these issues. I see so many single problems posted and there do not seem to be many solutions that address categories of them.

Empathize a lot with those who must use their systems for income! Didn't even notice Recycle Bin ...

P.S. 'The Telenator' .. Balmer was no Gates!

Thom B

Last edited by sostenuto; 08-02-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:20 PM   #23
paulheu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
I'm going to make a prediction here:

In 5 years, Microsoft will be down to only 75% of market with a red arrow falling.

You revisit and see if I was right.
We'll see who will be right..

I stated nearly three years ago that within 5 years Apple and MSFT will have traded places in the mobile/tablet market and today I stand by that.

While W10 will mature and improve (I'll be the first to admit it's not quite there yet, but am not saying it's no good), iOS will fall flat and the bottom will drop out. Apple really only has one play and that is iOS so they will go down.. hard.. Apple will, as they do, try and copy the model Microsoft is now setting in motion by trying to merge iOS and OSX but this will cause so much issues and backlash it will fail. Apple Pay has already flopped and Watch is following it rapidly. We'll see about music, but I doubt they'll make much of a dent.

Android will remain the ruler of mobile but frankly it sucks as a tablet OS and it's nowhere near able to handle anything desktop oriented. Microsoft services and apps will gain a significant piece of that pie as well though.

Microsoft will take back the space it was forced to give up years ago due to the anti trust nonsense and then some.

Microsoft has the enterprise business locked down tight and will be able to spawn out from there.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:30 PM   #24
The Telenator
Banned

The only thing keeping business away from Apple is the price. If that should ever come down some -- and it would just have to be within maybe 20% of regular PCs -- then it would be doomsday for Microsoft.

We always talk like we know what's going on, but things change so quickly these days in the software, PC, and the high tech world. You have no idea what's going to be happening in 5 years ... much less in 5 months. My "prophecy" is just a good guess based on some things I'm seeing lately. I'm not even pro-Apple, but I could see them taking big chunks of market. I have a lot of friends, ages 30 on down to 18. They are very very pro-Apple. I've seen some save for an extra 6 months to get a MAC when they could have bought a great PC yesterday. And they only half-listen to pro-PC chaps like me, even when they know we have the technical truth, etc.

One tip that influences my call is that hard storage is ALL different starting next year. The latest invention will change the whole (old) hard drive game, even drastically change SSD prices. Watch for this.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:05 AM   #25
jrp

Today any modern PC will run OSX with no trouble so we have the choice.
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:17 AM   #26
DBMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscofisy View Post
....it's that 7 works perfectly well without looking like a gigantic mobile phone advert for Windows Store.
I got skewered at gearslutz for proposing such heresy. A computer that creates an advertising ID for me and wants to spread it around to other apps by default? WTF! Just take a look at all the "Privacy" settings...which should be called "No Privacy" settings as everything is turned on by default. This OS is about convincing you how much it improves your experience if you buy into the data sharing and evisceration of privacy...so you'll by more apps. Ok if your into that thing. But a lot of people are not interested in any of that crap. They just want a computer they can control, where personal information is protected by default, is virus and malware safe, and just fucking works. I would just as soon it stay a computer...not some data/app gobbling phone. Yeah, so we're fucking dinosaurs. We're still dinosaurs with an opinion as valid fanboys touting how every new feature is a step into the future. When your emphasis is creating a fertile ecosystem for making money, you forget that simpler, to many, is better. Basically because it doesn't make you as much money. So all the omnipotent bellowing about how great W10 is nonsense. Its basic 7 & 8 all slicked up with marketing grease.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:44 AM   #27
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMusic View Post
I got skewered at gearslutz for proposing such heresy. A computer that creates an advertising ID for me and wants to spread it around to other apps by default? WTF! Just take a look at all the "Privacy" settings...which should be called "No Privacy" settings as everything is turned on by default. This OS is about convincing you how much it improves your experience if you buy into the data sharing and evisceration of privacy...so you'll by more apps. Ok if your into that thing. But a lot of people are not interested in any of that crap. They just want a computer they can control, where personal information is protected by default, is virus and malware safe, and just fucking works. I would just as soon it stay a computer...not some data/app gobbling phone. Yeah, so we're fucking dinosaurs. We're still dinosaurs with an opinion as valid fanboys touting how every new feature is a step into the future. When your emphasis is creating a fertile ecosystem for making money, you forget that simpler, to many, is better. Basically because it doesn't make you as much money. So all the omnipotent bellowing about how great W10 is nonsense. Its basic 7 & 8 all slicked up with marketing grease.
You'll likely get skewered on just about any site for criticizing the privacy issues in Windows 10, it seems. It was the same during the technical preview when mentioning the keylogger and other privacy issues. Some of the typical lines that I am seeing repeated over and over across many sites are:

Quote:
Describing critics as scaremongerers, including authors of articles on Windows 10 privacy.

Saying that, at least Microsoft is upfront about personal data collection.

Saying that, Microsoft isn't doing anything that other companies, such as Google, haven't already been doing.

Saying that, all operating systems collect data.

Saying that, privacy is dead any way, so why do the critics care?
It is interesting to me to see these same comments being repeated at so many discussion sites and in comment sections for articles. If you are reading some criticism about Windows 10 where this is some discussion, keep an eye out for these lines. It's a bit like being in a Twilight Zone episode.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:47 AM   #28
trevlyns

I like it! Spent a day making it look like I wanted (much like win 7)

It's noticeably faster at loading programs and my internet connection.

Website
trevlyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:31 AM   #29
Gerry

Well I love 10 it boots quicker it shuts down quicker and everything in between appears to be quicker. A constant problem I had with 7 was the NVidia display driver stopped responding and has recovered which appears to have disappeared in 10. Problems yup had a few mainly drivers and also a learning curve such as Windows Media Player got left over from the upgrade from 7 Ultimate 64 Bit but playback in 10 is diabolical as in crackling. So don't use it if you upgrade use Groove Player. Second bug/problem I have is that I am getting crackling if I move any object during playback and I mean any object transport bar, widen tracks, scrolling etc. OK don't move anything is the solution but its not perfect. Just out of interest I checked out my old Cubase 5.5.3 install and amazingly no problem at all.

What I haven't tried is backing up a project and then checking it out so I will do that and if that doesn't work perhaps a clean install of Reaper. Doh forgot you cannot backup a project in Reaper. Anyone have any other ideas or possible solutions I would appreciate it.

I'm too old for change but heck Windows 10 is clearly here to stay so we might as well get on with it and get used to it.

Last edited by Gerry; 08-02-2015 at 04:07 AM.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:51 AM   #30
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevlyns View Post
I like it! Spent a day making it look like I wanted (much like win 7)

It's noticeably faster at loading programs and my internet connection.
good tell me what you did plz
Old 08-02-2015, 07:21 AM   #31
magicchord

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
Call me old fashioned, but I'm staying on Windows 7. My PC is just running so nice, I don't want to mess with it.

There be security updates until 2020 for Windows 7. I'll figure where to go from here when its time for a new computer. I've been using this computer less than a year, so its still got a lot of life left in it.

I would have upgraded to Windows 10 but it doesn't really offer me anything new (that I need). No more upgrading just for the sake of upgrading...
+1 on that.
magicchord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:06 AM   #32
Jason Brian Merrill

it was an easy upgrade, and it is working flawlessly... I'm enjoying the new features and I have to say I'm impressed...

good deal.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:49 AM   #33
chip mcdonald

On this slow laptop I installed it on, it seems a little bit slower, actually.

The Edge browser doesn't get along with Facebook, when entering text in "Notes" it does not seem to recognize the text fields, aside from just the title. I would guess this has something to do with abandoning everything from IE and relying on HTML5 over Java?

It also seems to have buggered up my extensions in Mozilla; my text/color reversal extensions have now been made permanent it would seem.

In Chrome, links seem to lag a long time.

I like the look of the windows now, very much the archetype that Gates promised wayyyyy back when in Microsoft Encarta.

Some things I can't figure out:

In the browser, the screen occasionally resizes? I don't know if I'm brushing the touch pad, or the Windows key?

Also, when trying to scroll while clicking at the bottom of a window's scrollbar, I'm given a dialog menu. Annoying.

And then, now and then, a window pops up with a miniaturized snapshot of the screen? What's with that?

Regardless, I'm impressed with how easy the upgrade was, and the logical re-arrangement of menus. It would seem Java problems might be it's weakness?
Old 08-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #34
Klemperer

Quote:
We'll see who will be right..

[...]
Microsoft will take back the space it was forced to give up years ago due to the anti trust nonsense and then some.

Microsoft has the enterprise business locked down tight and will be able to spawn out from there.
Very interesting read, thank you.
For me there are 2 obstacles why I might not upgrade from 8.1 (which runs wonderfully here. After some troubles I also got Vista to run without flaw for me. Since XP I was simply happy with all windows-performances).

First, while we can shutoff automatic updates, we can't - I think, correct me if I'm wrong - do updates like we could in older versions. Sometimes, with Vista, new updates added problems for me, so I stayed away from many besides security ones as my system ran like a good horse^^.

A friend and software-developer told me it was possible to disable some service to switch off the automatic updates. But there was no method of selective updating like in previous windows versions... But I do want this, and I have it now^^.
I have very old vsts and vstis and love them, (with Windows I can use them, lovely; with mac I could not in many cases) and I have old soundcards and so on. As it runs fine with Win8...I think about not using Win10 for now. Maybe after I'm convinced that my very old stuff will be running on 10 for a long time, I'd think different on that subject.

Second, (this also applies just for people like me of course and has nothing to do with Win10's performance) the EULA seems to say that you must agree that Microsoft can do whatever they want with any info they manage to extract from your system.
That is ridiculous, if it would be so! All EULAs like this are. I know there are many views on that who differ, but I tend to think we slowly learn that there is, in every part of the world, no privacy, no liberal rights, are agreed upon. Nobody of us learnt aged 4 "and everyone who wants always knows where you are cause you love your yearly new smartphone (the billions of oldies are Schrott).
Not even basic human rights like "my letters should go to exactly the person I wish them to go - unopened" are staying for all of us. Why on earth is nobody opposing google, mac, Windows, facebook and more for that? I hate spam, I love privacy. Yes, I don't act, like so many, strictly logical there, even if I'd like all people to encrypt mails (or countries making laws that it would not even be necessary to use pgp).
Still... Simply writing such EULAs, if it was true, was, for me, the wrong way. And any information in easy language about such news, updates, EULAs, before we even install, would be lovely.

So - I thought I'd upgrade, but I won't for now. I understand that many people don't think privacy or liberal rights are something important for themselves, yet we all should support it "in general", like we are for other's people's freedom "in general".
Our world is getting far nearer to 1984 and brave new world than it is good, and Windows might always have been a part in that, but it seems the EULA to Win7 had no such paragraphs? At least that's what I was told.

Ressouces:
First people I hear say Win10 needs even less ressources than 7 or 8 (which perform great) and were especially good for slower computers or slow sub-notebooks I use for work. Yet...no, for me
Klemperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:21 PM   #35
JHughes

Quote:
[right-click START]
control panel

How hard can it be..
It isn't hard. Here's another easy solution:

Hit Windows key, type "con"
Control Panel is at the top.
NTM, you can put the icon for control panel on your desktop, just like always.

What IS hard is having yet ANOTHER windows 10 sucks thread. Very old hat. What was wrong with the plethora of other threads that yet another had to be created? What new twist on Win 10 suckiness is yet to be exposed?

"Why doesn't Windows work like it used to when it was DOS. Waaaahhh."

It's called a NEW OS for a good reason. Because it's DIFFERENT.

I just have no evidence that those who hate this new OS so much have searched the internet for any of the known solutions. You know, like we have to do with ANY new piece of software.

Complaining that Win 10 isn't Win 7 is stupid on its face.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:21 PM   #36
Fabian

I updated the horrible W8.1 on my Surface Pro 3 to W10 on the first day, and I am very satisfied. Yes, there are issues and quirks and bugs, but W10 runs better and feels so much more thought through than W8.1 ever did. The fact that W10 explicitly distinguishes between tablet and desktop modes works beautifully, W8.1 tried to be both at the same time which worked not at all. What little I have tried Reaper on the Surface Pro it seems to run great so far.

That said, I will not update W7 on my Reaper desktop machine any time soon. I do not think that W10 brings any clear benefits. W7 works fine, and W10 does not solve any problems that I have with W7.

On a tablet though... getting rid of W8.1 is just such a relief!
Old 08-02-2015, 01:23 PM   #37
JHughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klemperer View Post
First, while we can shutoff automatic updates, we can't - I think, correct me if I'm wrong - do updates like we could in older versions.
You're wrong, as has been posted numerous times. You can block updates, hide updates, remove updates, remove drivers........what's missing?
Old 08-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #38
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
I do not think that W10 brings any clear benefits. W7 works fine, and W10 does not solve any problems that I have with W7.
Maybe...maybe not.......
http://pcaudiolabs.com/windows-10-for-pro-audio/
Old 08-02-2015, 02:27 PM   #39
paulheu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klemperer View Post
Second, (this also applies just for people like me of course and has nothing to do with Win10's performance) the EULA seems to say that you must agree that Microsoft can do whatever they want with any info they manage to extract from your system.
That's not what it says, especially in the context of the whole text, and that is the main issue I have with all these scare mongers. They rip a single line out of context which, by itself, could be interpreted as saying as much.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:43 AM   #40
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
ivan, I, too, have to take issue with this remark, as well as disagree completely.

You see, it was whiny people like myself in contact with Microsoft the last few months that things like AeroGlass are being brought back to Windows 10. This, along with a couple of other features I wanted and they are returning will go a long way to making me continue to do business with MS. I basically told them I was leaving permanently for Apple after years and years of being a loyal MS user. I'm sure plenty of others said about the same. MS listened, so you are wrong about consumer complaints.

Further, I had no issues with XP, either. Tolerated Vista rather well, too. But when they made Windows look like a crappy cell phone screen and dropped the start menu and more, well, that was too much.

You must have never heard, "Don't fix it if it ain't broke". Apparently, neither has MS!

Bought the FULL Windows 7 install disk today, maybe just for safe keeping, but at least I can use it on a couple or three more PCs if I never do go to Win 10. We'll see I guess....