Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2015, 01:02 AM   #41
paulheu
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
I basically told them I was leaving permanently for Apple after years and years of being a loyal MS user. I'm sure plenty of others said about the same. MS listened, so you are wrong about consumer complaints.
If you think this argument will sway MSFT in anyway as to their development you are delusional.
paulheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:23 AM   #42
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 18,941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
ivan, I, too, have to take issue with this remark, as well as disagree completely.

You see, it was whiny people like myself in contact with Microsoft the last few months that things like AeroGlass are being brought back to Windows 10. This, along with a couple of other features I wanted and they are returning will go a long way to making me continue to do business with MS. I basically told them I was leaving permanently for Apple after years and years of being a loyal MS user. I'm sure plenty of others said about the same. MS listened, so you are wrong about consumer complaints.

Further, I had no issues with XP, either. Tolerated Vista rather well, too. But when they made Windows look like a crappy cell phone screen and dropped the start menu and more, well, that was too much.

You must have never heard, "Don't fix it if it ain't broke". Apparently, neither has MS!

Bought the FULL Windows 7 install disk today, maybe just for safe keeping, but at least I can use it on a couple or three more PCs if I never do go to Win 10. We'll see I guess....

Well good luck with that. Like I and many others have said before, a bunch of whining wont change MS's corporate mind, unless a HELL of a lot of you start voting with your feet.
There are far too many people who will happily upgrade to W10, not really notice any significant difference apart from how the start menu works, and go happily on their way.
Now if the corporate world walks away from Microsoft towards Apple, that would make a difference.

You do the sums.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:32 AM   #43
The Telenator
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Oud West, NL
Posts: 2,335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulheu View Post
If you think this argument will sway MSFT in anyway as to their development you are delusional.
You couldn't be more wrong in this case. Many or all of the features from Windows 7 that Microsoft is -- all of a sudden -- bringing back to Win 10 are DIRECTLY related to customer complaints and requests. MS has even said as much! You need to follow the news stories and latest reports, instead of playing PR mouthpiece for this arrogant firm. Some of that has rubbed off on you from reading your constant PR efforts in these threads.

Oh, same story as was the sudden re-inclusion of the Windows Start Menu brought back in 8.1 (or did that slip your mind or not fit your fiction?).
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:46 AM   #44
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 18,941
Default

Agree 100% Telenator, but as I said above it will depend entirely on how great the groundswell against a particular "feature" or omission of same actually is.
I just dont see the DAW market being big enough to have that kind of effect on MS's game plan.
But I do hope you are right.... we shall see.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:50 AM   #45
The Telenator
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Oud West, NL
Posts: 2,335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Agree 100% Telenator, but as I said above it will depend entirely on how great the groundswell against a particular "feature" or omission of same actually is.
I just dont see the DAW market being big enough to have that kind of effect on MS's game plan.
But I do hope you are right.... we shall see.
I'm not sure if even Microsoft really knows what its 'game plan' is; bet they have 2 or 3 plan B's.

But as far as what I was talking about: MS is bringing back the AeroGlass, my major beef since Win 8. I'm delighted and pray it will be in the first bugfix, hotfix, update, whatever they call 10.1.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:57 AM   #46
+NRG
Human being with feelings
 
+NRG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
MS is bringing back the AeroGlass, my major beef since Win 8. I'm delighted and pray it will be in the first bugfix, hotfix, update, whatever they call 10.1.
Where did you get this info?
+NRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:23 AM   #47
Lannister
Human being with feelings
 
Lannister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Norway
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
But as far as what I was talking about: MS is bringing back the AeroGlass, my major beef since Win 8. I'm delighted and pray it will be in the first bugfix, hotfix, update, whatever they call 10.1.
Here's hoping it's optional, I happen to much prefer the flat UI style since Windows 8 over Aero.
Lannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:36 AM   #48
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 18,941
Default

Me too. The first thing I do is disable ANY eye candy that I feel is getting in my way or eating cpu cycles needlessly.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:28 AM   #49
paulheu
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
You couldn't be more wrong in this case. Many or all of the features from Windows 7 that Microsoft is -- all of a sudden -- bringing back to Win 10
What functionality missing from WIN8 was brought back in 10? The start menu was reworked because for too many the jump between the start screen en the desktop was too much and while it never bothered me, I can see how that would be the case.

But other than that I'm not seeing anything in 10 that was not in 8 or in 7 actually.. Have you actually used 8.1? I mean for an extended period of time? From your comments I must assume no.
paulheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #50
Fabian
Human being with feelings
 
Fabian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5,453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
They compare W10 on a machine with SSD to a W7 machine with HD...?
Of course they are going to get better performance out of W10.

Or am I missing something?

EDIT: And the W10 machine is equipped with state of the art G Skill memory, but not the other machines...? This comparison doesn't say much about W10 vs W7. If W7 was installed on the W10 hardware, the numbers would be reversed.
__________________
// MVHMF
I never always did the right thing, but all I did wasn't wrong...
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:59 PM   #51
viscofisy
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dalriada
Posts: 13,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
You're wrong, as has been posted numerous times. You can block updates, hide updates, remove updates, remove drivers........what's missing?
Seemingly it's you who's wrong. Not everyone on Windows10 is on "Pro" - and even those who are don't get to indefinitely defer updates :


Quote:
“Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.”
________

It seems likely that Windows 10 Professional will have the ability to switch to the “Current branch for business,” although the “long term servicing branch” will likely be only for Windows 10 Enterprise.

However, even the current branch for business will force you to regularly update to new features after a few months — you just get a few months to stay on a stable version of Windows while the changes are tested on all those Windows 10 Home PCs.
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:27 PM   #52
The Telenator
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Oud West, NL
Posts: 2,335
Default

paul: "What functionality missing from WIN8 was brought back in 10?"

Most news comes to my email. I read and usually delete. Now, you're one of those in these Microsoft Win 10 threads who puts on like he knows all about MS, including its blackened heart and mind ... so, you should know about all the backtracking and feature changes from MS into Win 10. But then, it was pointed out to you earlier some details of the MS privacy policy that you seemed to have overlooked, so I can't assume for you.

Even if not, since this subject is of so much interest, I trust you can use a search engine on your own. Basically, there have been dozens of PC mag, media articles and output from MS, too, in these last few days. Read them for yourself ... something new seemingly every minute.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:31 PM   #53
The Telenator
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Oud West, NL
Posts: 2,335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Me too. The first thing I do is disable ANY eye candy that I feel is getting in my way or eating cpu cycles needlessly.
ivan, AeroGlass uses less than .5% CPU on modern machines. Your point here is invalid, unless you are on an old, low-GHz Pentium or toy Celeron. Personally, I also like anything I have to stare at for hours on end to look attractive. You marry a real plain jane, did you, so she wouldn't distract you from the other matters in your day-to-day existence? I'm using your logic here!
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:09 AM   #54
JHughes
Human being with feelings
 
JHughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Too close to Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscofisy View Post
Seemingly it's you who's wrong. Not everyone on Windows10 is on "Pro" - and even those who are don't get to indefinitely defer updates :
Way to quote old out of date FUD. Why are you giving bad advice on this forum?

It has nothing to do with the Home version!
Last time I'm posting this, if you want to pretend it doesn't exist, and if people want to listen to you then fine.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930



Learn to use a search engine properly.

I wait to stand corrected with, you know, CURRENT facts.
__________________
You can only Reverse, Switch, Invert or Flip POLARITY, not "PHASE".
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:20 AM   #55
billybk1
Human being with feelings
 
billybk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,504
Default

Windows 10 reportedly said to be running on 67 millions PC's already. MS is looking at one billion over the next 2-3 years. I think MS will get that within the first year. I already have several PC's running Win 10 myself.

People sure do love a freebie!


Windows 10 is said to be running on 67 million PCs already
billybk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:47 AM   #56
+NRG
Human being with feelings
 
+NRG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 560
Default

Not sure what the issue is with the Windows 10 start menu, etc...

Here's my minimalist start menu (no tiles, just the basics and can be set to not be transparent if you like and you can control the height and width, too):

https://i.imgur.com/olh4u6G.png

Here's the 'All apps' clicked on the start menu:

https://i.imgur.com/yu3KqM9.png

Right click on the start menu / window button for all the greatest hits:

https://i.imgur.com/fvY6Ufs.png

Don't all of these important windows look familiar:

https://i.imgur.com/EbeHOKr.png
+NRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:01 AM   #57
Stringer
Human being with feelings
 
Stringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: State of California
Posts: 545
Default

I have a Win 7 Pro system and I have decided not to upgrade to Win 10 for the following reasons:

--My system runs fine.
--None of the new features in Win 10 are interesting to me.
--I would turn off most of the stuff that makes those new features work anyway.

However, I made the mistake of "reserving" a copy of Win 10. I have automatic updates turned off, so it hasn't automatically installed. But now I am getting popups asking me to schedule the upgrade. I am afraid to open one of those because I have read that there is no pick for "never" or even "in 6 months." It gives you 24 hours. There are articles on the web advising users to delete the offending update, but also lots of people saying that even after they deleted it and hid it, it came right back. Then people are advised to delete GWX.exe and associated registry entries, but it is unclear if even that works. This behavior is virus-like.

When I clicked on the message that "reserve" my copy, I am pretty sure that the possibility of changing my mind was implied.

I don't want to get into a Win 7 versus Win 10 discussion or any of the tinfoil hat stuff, but I do think that Microsoft should give us a "No thanks, I've changed my mind" option.

Has anyone successfully "unreserved" their copy? Any advice?
__________________
One thing led to another and somehow I ended up on Linux.
https://guitarsophist.com/
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:18 AM   #58
Quasar
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 607
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post

Has anyone successfully "unreserved" their copy? Any advice?
It's Windows Update KB3035583, and you can uninstall it:

http://www.howtogeek.com/218856/how-...fication-tray/
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:33 AM   #59
viscofisy
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dalriada
Posts: 13,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
Way to quote old out of date FUD. Why are you giving bad advice on this forum?

It has nothing to do with the Home version!
Last time I'm posting this, if you want to pretend it doesn't exist, and if people want to listen to you then fine.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930



Learn to use a search engine properly.

I wait to stand corrected with, you know, CURRENT facts.
Are you confusing the current Windows7 ability to refuse or select updates before they get onto your system with Windows10 "ability" to let you try sorting bad updates out afterwards ?

Only Enterprise customers get to select and indefinitely defer updates.

Kindly show us where Windows10 Home customers are allowed this functionality.....which we've had all along in Windows7 Home premium.

Is it not the case that if you leave your DAW PC offline for some time (like I do, and I'm sure many others do too) - that on re-connecting, Windows10 Home users will have no option but to install the bundle of updates awaiting them?

I've seen 40 and more updates awaiting me in Windows7 - which I can defer or select as I like.

In Windows10, am I just supposed to wait patiently as they auto-install, then sort out any consequences later?

You call this the same ability as Windows7 Home Premium ?

Last edited by viscofisy; 08-04-2015 at 07:45 AM.
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:37 AM   #60
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 18,941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
ivan, AeroGlass uses less than .5% CPU on modern machines. Your point here is invalid, unless you are on an old, low-GHz Pentium or toy Celeron. Personally, I also like anything I have to stare at for hours on end to look attractive. You marry a real plain jane, did you, so she wouldn't distract you from the other matters in your day-to-day existence? I'm using your logic here!
If you are going to quote me, try reading the quote before tearing into me, pillock.

I personally don't like eye candy on my computer because I find it distracting. Apparently in the World According to Telenator the opinion of anyone not conforming to your view of things is invalid.
So grateful I live in a civilised part of the universe where this is not so.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:52 PM   #61
Nystagmus
Human being with feelings
 
Nystagmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 509
Default

The last Windows OS that was truly stable for me was 32-bit Windows XP SP2 OEM Home. After I upgraded to SP3, it had boot issues. But it still worked pretty well as a DAW, after implementing all the optimizations I could discover online.

Then I got a new better computer. Windows XP SP2 was good for both my old year 2000 used computer, and my then new 2007 new computer. The problem with the new computer was that it came with Vista and at the time there was an urban myth at all the stores in town that Windows XP could not be installed on it because of firmware incompatibilities. So I spent a year struggling to make 32-bit Vista Home DAW-worthy.

Finally, I got pissed off enough to just wipe it and install XP SP2 as a downgrade. It worked flawlessly until I upgraded to SP3, then it had the same boot issues as experienced before on the other systems. But it finally became useable as a DAW, and my DPC's from DPClat.exe were way down extremely low at like 10 instead of 50 or 100 on Vista.

Fast forward to 2013-2015...

I got some experience with Windows 7 on family computers and then on my own laptops. For some reason, Windows 7 kept corrupting itself upon shutdown until it failed to boot or even boot the DVD/CD-ROM install disc??!?!? Other Windows 7 installs kept thrashing the hard drives exactly like Vista did no matter how many tasks and services I disabled.

But by this time I had finally gotten involved with Linux due to the wonder LiveCD's I used to create and manage my Windows partitions. The Linux live discs almost always worked, so I decided to finally just see if I could have a Linux DAW and maybe dual boot.

So for a while on a recent system I ran Windows 7 just to connect to the web and research Linux DAW stuff. On the side, I made some music until some Windows malware trashed the entire computer in a multitude of really nasty ways. The Windows 7 wasn't very old, and I didn't feel like reinstalling all my old programs after wiping, and I didn't yet have any backups, so I just decided to erase the whole thing and go to Ubuntu Studio.

My memory is a little bit foggy on this, since I did it essentually two or three times... running Windows 7, then replacing Windows 7 with Ubuntu Linux, then considering Windows, then going back happily to Ubuntu. I did lot of experimentation. But ultimately I realised that the Ubuntu Linux installs were more stable and predictable on my system.

Fast forward again a little bit more... an updated version of Ubuntu Studio came out and the few bugs I had encountered were squashed for good.

What's the point of all this...? That's exactly the question!!!!

I come from the age of Windows 95B with the first USB ports and ZIP drives.
I also come from the age of Macs running System 6.0.5 ... I remember when some guys from KLF got sued for naming their band System 7 (by Apple).

Every year the tech changes, and every year there's a boatload of new problems.

Remember Windows 2000, Windows Millenium Edition, Windows 98SE?

Those were the champs back then and do you remember what a pain in the but they were? But the affordable Cubasis VST was on Windows 98SE and you could run VST's and VSTi's and MIDI and digital audio and Steinberg was full of winning and it was just before they jacked up the price of Cubase into the mid triple digits or whatnot.

So if you're still reading this, I need to ask rhetorically,...

What is the point of all these upgrades?
How is it really progress?
Did the software hinder the musical masters and geniuses of the 1990s?

When will the madness end?

That's ok, I'm done now. If it doesn't somehow come back to music making as the main idea, then what's the point?
Nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:13 PM   #62
Stringer
Human being with feelings
 
Stringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: State of California
Posts: 545
Default

Nystagmus,

Are you still using Ubuntu for recording?
__________________
One thing led to another and somehow I ended up on Linux.
https://guitarsophist.com/
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:51 PM   #63
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 24,766
Default

Quote:
In Windows10, am I just supposed to wait patiently as they auto-install, then sort out any consequences later?
I think that article is giving you two things...

1. The assumption the update you don't want has already been installed - how to remove it.

2. How to prevent it from happening again which I'm assuming also keeps it from happening to begin with if the update hasn't yet been installed.

If #2 is accurate, you can install that patch and hide/defer updates you don't want. Might not fit everyone's view of a perfect world but if it gets the job it gets the job done.

I don't have a copy of home installed or I'd test that for you to confirm.
__________________
If it requires a null test to find it, it is by definition minuscule.

Last edited by karbomusic; 08-04-2015 at 06:06 PM.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:30 PM   #64
The Telenator
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Oud West, NL
Posts: 2,335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
If you are going to quote me, try reading the quote before tearing into me, pillock.

I personally don't like eye candy on my computer because I find it distracting. Apparently in the World According to Telenator the opinion of anyone not conforming to your view of things is invalid.
So grateful I live in a civilised part of the universe where this is not so.
But, ivan, I did quote you -- word for word! So, what's a pillock, anyway? I do like that World According to bit. The world outside my world, ivan, is anything but civilised ... as is displayed in all the name-calling and misleading posts, and childlike behaviour a small few have displayed in this thread. You blokes just can't seem to handle anyone disagreeing with you, even when they support their arguments. You get all piffed and angry. How ridiculous. My world is a world of facts and proofs, not emotions and ruffled feathers.

So much for trying to get at all the issues -- bad and good -- surrounding this new Microsoft 'gift'!
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:27 PM   #65
viscofisy
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dalriada
Posts: 13,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I think that article is giving you two things...

1. The assumption the update you don't want has already been installed - how to remove it.

2. How to prevent it from happening again which I'm assuming also keeps it from happening to begin with if the update hasn't yet been installed.

If #2 is accurate, you can install that patch and hide/defer updates you don't want. Might not fit everyone's view of a perfect world but if it gets the job it gets the job done.

I don't have a copy of home installed or I'd test that for you to confirm.
How does your assumption in 2. follow?

Either updates are automatic for Home users, or they're not.

If updates are not automatic for Home users, then Microsoft is wrong (or have changed their mind in the last day or so), and I'm basing my argument on what Microsoft themselves state to be the case. I have no way of knowing for sure, as this "automatic updates" issue is one reason stopping me from "upgrading" from my (paid for) Windows7 with its old fashioned "select and/or defer updates indefinitely".

If you can peruse a list and choose what not to install, then updates aren't automatic.

My understanding is that Home users will only be able to "choose" to delete updates after the fact - that there is no list before the update happens?

Otherwise "automatic-only install" is meaningless.

"JHughes" only provided a link to information on how to uninstall, and/or prevent from re-occurring.......which is not, as he imagines, the same as preventing in the first place.

Perhaps JHughes can "learn to use a search browser" or inform us somehow?

We wouldn't want him spreading misinformation after all.

Last edited by viscofisy; 08-04-2015 at 07:38 PM.
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:39 PM   #66
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 24,766
Default

Because it must check for updates then install them which is always is (by necessity) a two step process even when automatic. Actually three steps, check, download, install. This fact may allow you to see and hide them before they install once that patch is applied. It would make sense to me, that if you apply that patch, those menu options in thread #54 may appear when you do, and if so, will apply to any updates that you don't already have.

I don't really care what the words say, I care about what it actually does; it may not do what I think it might but much of what little I do know came from trying the less obvious and finding out. It would be easier to test it myself but I just don't have time right now.
__________________
If it requires a null test to find it, it is by definition minuscule.

Last edited by karbomusic; 08-04-2015 at 07:46 PM.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:21 PM   #67
viscofisy
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dalriada
Posts: 13,294
Default

Microsoft says all updates for Home users are automatic.

If they're automatic, you don't get to intervene.

If you get to intervene, they're not automatic.

The only "evidence" so far is a removal tool which doubles as a blocker for previously installed updates.

Presumably this tool generates a list from what has already been installed?

So it's difficult to see why/how you can stop "automatic" updates in advance, as presumably "automatic" means that no intervention tool or list is available until after the event?
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:23 PM   #68
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 24,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscofisy View Post
Microsoft says all updates for Home users are automatic.

If they're automatic, you don't get to intervene.

If you get to intervene, they're not automatic.

The only "evidence" so far is a removal tool which doubles as a blocker for previously installed updates.

Presumably this tool generates a list from what has already been installed?

So it's difficult to see why/how you can stop "automatic" updates in advance, as presumably "automatic" means that no tool or list is available until after the event?
OK, suit yourself. I don't need worded evidence, I'd just install it and know in 30 seconds. Not here for the debate, I just like exploiting technical obstacles to my benefit when possible so no worries, carry on.
__________________
If it requires a null test to find it, it is by definition minuscule.

Last edited by karbomusic; 08-04-2015 at 08:31 PM.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:40 PM   #69
viscofisy
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dalriada
Posts: 13,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
OK, suit yourself. I don't need worded evidence, I'd just install it and know in 30 seconds. Not here for the debate, I just like exploiting technical obstacles to my benefit when possible so no worries, carry on.
Yeah, well I'm asking for evidence, as I'm not about to install an OS just to find out if what Microsoft clearly states is true or not.

My posts were also partly in response to this kind of misinformation and sneering - ( in response to other posters' reasonable questions based on Microsoft's own information) :

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
You're wrong, as has been posted numerous times. You can block updates, hide updates, remove updates, remove drivers........what's missing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
Way to quote old out of date FUD. Why are you giving bad advice on this forum?

It has nothing to do with the Home version!
Last time I'm posting this, if you want to pretend it doesn't exist, and if people want to listen to you then fine.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930



Learn to use a search engine properly.

I wait to stand corrected with, you know, CURRENT facts.
What's missing?

Only your understanding of what choose and defer mean.

What you posted is a removal tool, with a "don't do it again" option.

Again, where is the ability to choose to defer automatic updates for Home users?

Like in Windows7?
________

Plus, my original post was concerning indefinitely deferring updates.

As I understand it, you now have a time window inside which you must comply - even Pro users - and that only Enterprise users now have the luxury previously afforded to lowly Windows7 Home Premium users.

Last edited by viscofisy; 08-04-2015 at 08:52 PM.
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:57 PM   #70
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 24,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscofisy View Post
Yeah, well I'm asking for evidence, as I'm not about to install an OS just to find out if what Microsoft clearly states is true or not.
See my other post where I stated I'd test it for you but I don't have time right now.

Quote:
What's missing?

Only your understanding of what choose and defer mean.
Soften up dude, everything doesn't need to be, or remain an argument. If for some reason you can't resist yet another rebuttal, don't worry, I can. Take care.
__________________
If it requires a null test to find it, it is by definition minuscule.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:00 PM   #71
viscofisy
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dalriada
Posts: 13,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
See my other post where I stated I'd test it for you but I don't have time right now.



Soften up dude, everything doesn't need to be an argument. If for some reason you can't resist yet another rebuttal, don't worry, I can. Take care.
That wasn't in response to you, but to JHughes' arrogant dismissal and accusations of "spreading misinformation on this forum" and "learn to use a browser" etc etc.

Others, including myself, were questioning what Microsoft clearly stated.
His replies were needlessly abusive.....as well as wrong.

I don't mind a bit of banter and needling ....but at least if you're going to indulge then you should get the facts right.

Last edited by viscofisy; 08-04-2015 at 09:06 PM.
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #72
Stringer
Human being with feelings
 
Stringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: State of California
Posts: 545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
It's Windows Update KB3035583, and you can uninstall it:

http://www.howtogeek.com/218856/how-...fication-tray/
I have now uninstalled this update, and hidden it. I have also hidden the selection in "recommended" updates that would install Win 10, which was somehow still present after KB3035583 had been uninstalled. I kept unchecking that one, but it kept getting checked again automatically.

Before this I tried renaming the GWX.exe folder. This got rid of the icon in the task bar, but did not get rid of the Win 10 stuff in windows update. Because the Win 10 upgrade kept getting automatically checked, it would have been easy to accidentally install Win 10 when installing another update.

Microsoft really, really, really wants everyone to install Win 10, even if they have to resort to subterfuge and trickery. I used to install every update, both "important" and "recommended, though not automatically. Now I think I have to scrutinize and research every one. I never completely trusted Microsoft, but I did not think that they would work so actively against the user's wishes. I expect that from Apple, but not Microsoft.

I am willing to bet that the Win 10 stuff will come back. I almost think resistance is futile.
__________________
One thing led to another and somehow I ended up on Linux.
https://guitarsophist.com/
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:42 PM   #73
msore
Human being with feelings
 
msore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago sometimes
Posts: 11,540
Default

http://www.siliconbeat.com/2015/08/0...-pcs-unusable/

Quote:
Some consumers trying to upgrade their computers to Windows 10 have run into a bug that is rendering their machines inoperative.

Instead of being able to use Microsoft’s new operating system, they get an error that says their computer has a “missing operating system.” Some also said their drives reported having nothing on them after the attempted upgrade.
__________________
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/msorenson
My religion is all or none.
msore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:18 PM   #74
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 18,941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Me too. The first thing I do is disable ANY eye candy that ****** I feel***** is getting in my way or eating cpu cycles needlessly.
Telenator - like I said, read it properly. I am referring to MY feelings concerning the appeal of eye candy. NOT yours or anyone else's.
You can do whatever you please with your computer, but that doesn't mean I am either an idiot or rude or anything else for saying that I personally don't want the eye candy.

I was not trying to be insulting, even if you came over that way with regard to my comment.
I was simply suggesting that you actually take the time to read, note and inwardly digest what someone actually writes before laying into them over something you only thought they wrote.

And for what it is worth, calling someone a pillock is essentially saying "don't be daft" in a friendly way. Its an English english word. Apparently not an american english one.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:59 PM   #75
paulheu
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msore View Post
Sh*t will happen. Out of 20million installs a whopping 25 people reported the issue on a dedicated Microsoft forum thread for this issue, so it must be a structural and widespread issue.

As one of them happens to work for a tech blog and writes about it it's not credible news? The fact that he, as a writer for a Silicon Valley tech blog, was not able to resolve this by himself also kind of strikes me as odd. The fact that he, for the same reason, did not do a full backup before he update strikes me as very odd.

Sure, it sucks when it does happen and yes, it's something that needs to be get sorted and fixed. It's not something to be overly worried and concerned about.
paulheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:04 AM   #76
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 18,941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
I am willing to bet that the Win 10 stuff will come back. I almost think resistance is futile.
Do what I have done - ignore it. Already installed on 2 lappies here and doing fine but the studio desktop is a bit too "in mid project" for me to take ANY risks at all.
Even though the same machine ran the tech preview happily just before I switched the C: drive onto a fresh win8.1 install

We have a year....
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.