Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-29-2011, 06:36 PM   #81
Jae.Thomas
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls11823 View Post
No flaming, but plenty of nay-saying...

I'd imagine that Reaper makes many, many calls to the operating system; all of those routines would have to be replaced by whatever native routines would replace them. Of course, they'd first have to write those native routines. Then they'd have to write drivers for any monitor, printer, sound card, USB drive, etc., etc. that any user could come up with. Then they'd have to work with the vendors of every audio interface out there so those folks could write drivers (as though they'd be interested in putting R&D dollars into such a thing when most of them already don't support Linux). And then they'd have to support everybody that wanted to run Microsoft Office applications, or Open Office, or Solitaire, or PhotoShop, or any other software out there. And don't forget supporting iPhones, Androids, Zunes, GPS receivers, and any other type of peripheral that's out there. All of this would be done for a tiny percentage of the computer user community out there.

Oh, and in their spare time they could work on the list of Reaper feature requests that are already in front of them. They should get back to that in about a decade or so.

Is that enough nay-saying? I could provide more, but I'm sure others will be happy to join in.

that's actually exactly what I was thinking.

even porting for mac is probably somewhat tough as the routines are different... imagine having to make your own...
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #82
Kenny

Well, I never said it would be easy

The driver stuff I figured. But there's a lot of material in linux world out there already to use as a starting point - that's why I think going an open source route for this sort of thing would be the way to make it happen. I'm sure there are plenty of excellent reasons it "can't" be done, or else it probably would have by now.

But I'm willing to bet if it could be done, Pro Tools would quickly be knocked off it's high horse in the pro/project studio market, a whole lot of mbox's would start collecting dust, and there would be a very satisfied music making public ready to embrace it.
Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #83
Kenny

Hey TLS, I just noticed you're from harrisburg. Me too! Small world!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #84
tls11823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
Hey TLS, I just noticed you're from harrisburg. Me too! Small world!
Wild - what area? I'm on the cusp of Linglestown and Colonial Park.

By the way, I didn't mean to pee on your cornflakes with the Reaper/OS idea, but that would be a huge, risky undertaking, with little chance of breaking even. If it's made open source, that kind of negates the initial premise of capitalizing on the efficiency and skill of the current Reaper devs, who wouldn't have the time or resources for such a huge undertaking as creating an operating system, or even building on top of an existing one. There's just not a large enough demographic to make it worth the trouble.

Sure, it's a swell idea. But it kind of reminds me of somebody saying that there needs to be a car that runs on water, and then stepping aside to let somebody work out the pesky details of actually making it happen.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #85
Kenny

Low Pax - sounds like we're blocks away from each other.
Looks like Jason is representing PA too!

Hey, that's all fine - you're absolutely right. I'm not a programmer, I'm a musician dreaming about "wouldn't it be awesome if..."
Like I said, I'm just throwing it out there - and who knows, maybe someone will come along who likes the idea and can contribute better ideas in terms of figuring out easier, smarter, cost effective ways of pulling something like this off...just planting the seed so to speak. Just starting a dialogue. Maybe in 10 or 20 years I can boot up my machine directly into Reaper and navigate my desktop using midi CCs - of course they'll be triggered directly from my brain waves and yes, my car would run on water . . . just like a boat
Old 03-29-2011, 08:09 PM   #86
corazon

I am a linux user, but don't think a Reaper linux port is needed. If one has a well configured high performance video card, and a supported audio device, Reaper works well enough using wineasio. You can find a variety of barebones mini-distros, add jackd2, wine 1.3.14 or newer, and alsa 1.23 of newer, then reaper, and be well under 600 meg.

You will be limited to vst plugins that are free from dongles/pace/ilok types of copy protection, but Native Instruments, U-he, Camel Audio, Wusikstation, IK Multimedia, and a host of smaller developers, provide great instruments that work in most cases. There are a dozen excellent linux audio apps, that enable a very efficient work flow.

Producers of large projects will miss some aspects of session management,
but there is enhanced connectivity provided by jackd, and very few linux audio apps, so using bash command history in the terminal, makes it easy to rebuild a session. Reaper projects load normally, then add any linux apps after the fact. Reaper is just a very fancy rompler, at that point, awaiting connection by jackd to your choice of destinations.

Another linux userbase problem, is that hype and zeal too often lead noobie dabblers into foreign territory, where they install on systems not verified
to be linux-audio-compatible, then go on to format the wrong partitions, install useless windows drivers, and pepper the forums with their issues,
as if the answers would determine how many commercial CDs they release in the coming year.

A potential plus for linux, is file management. The ext 3 and 4 journalised systems seem to be quite solid and reliable, although I suspect most ntfs problems are likely due to overcrowded hardisks, and people not doing periodic disk maintenace. I never have to do such tasks in linux, and system
reinstalls don't require formatting the partitions where personal settings, wine vst installs, and audio data are stored. Win 7 may have fixed problems
from the XP era?

So I vote no Reaper linux port, and for 'us linux people' to tell a cautionary tale, rather than a fairy tale, and be willing to support new
linux users with facts, examples, and links, yay or nay, rather than hyper opinions and a never ending series of techno-romance-novels.
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:26 AM   #87
corazon

In case it was not mentioned in these forums, Mellosonic, who apparently started this thread, Died in September, 2010.
Some of his music, can be heard here:

http://www.soundclick.com/members/de...&content=board

There are 600+ messages at the page, most from his living hours, seems he was a generous and helpful friend to quite a few people.
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:02 AM   #88
daverich

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon View Post
In case it was not mentioned in these forums, Mellosonic, who apparently started this thread, Died in September, 2010.
Some of his music, can be heard here:

http://www.soundclick.com/members/de...&content=board

There are 600+ messages at the page, most from his living hours, seems he was a generous and helpful friend to quite a few people.
i wonder is he up there using reaper in ubuntu....

Kind regards

Dave Rich
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote