Old 04-03-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
ngarjuna
Human being with feelings

Default Faderport Issues in Reaper

Hi all, first post (new-ish Reaper user). I will skip the usual getting-to-know-you and I-<3-Reaper speak to get straight to the point (by the by, I do love Reaper)...

Have a FaderPort (just arrived). Tried to get it going in my main Reaper install (Vista Ultimate x64), no dice, MIDI errors galore. Okay, no problem, the device is not rated for Vista x64 (in my experience you can get almost anything that runs in Vista x86 to run in x64 with guided tweaking, but not quite everything)...so I'll just move my Reaper installation to my XP partition and try it there.

Ran the firmware upgrade, started it in Reaper, it worked great. Made some envelopes with the fader, sat mesmerized as the fader moved. Relaxed, satisfied that my hardware issue was solved.

Next day, start up Reaper...no dice on the FaderPort, error opening Control Surface MIDI input.

Contrary to what many people describe on Presonus' forum, my device sure seems to be properly recognized in Windows. It shows up as a USB Audio Device. However when I assign Reaper to use that device as a Control Input (I have regular Input and Output disabled), no dice, error opening blah blah blah. I also checked to make sure that the FaderPort was not selected by XP as the primary MIDI device; it was not (that duty was relegated to one of my SB synths).

Needless to say, when Reaper can't grab the input of the device, the device does absolutely nothing in Reaper. No functionality at this time.

The only other MIDI/USB device on my system is my M-Audio Keystation 61ES (seems like a pretty vanilla MIDI controller). Throughout these trials, I am not having any issues with it. Reaper has played nice with that keyboard since the day I installed it.

So I write this tale of woe here for two reasons:
1) Maybe someone else went through a similar struggle with Reaper (when I called my Sweetwater rep, who is both a FaderPort and Reaper user, he wasn't in; Sweetwater tech support had never heard of Reaper; they installed a copy and ran into EXACTLY the same problem I'm having [or so it would seem]). If so, any advice on resolution would surely be appreciated. The Presonus forum does not seem to have any information at all about getting to work in Reaper (only a few testimonials that it does indeed work);
2) Nowhere in the Reaper documentation (nor in any thread I've found in my searching) do I see a "Proper Procedure" for setting up such a control device. Maybe I just have it set wrong; the closest thing (on the forums here) to instructions on setting it up refer to using the 1.2 Cubase/Nuendo driver (that's fine and good, but where does one put said .dll? that detail at least was omitted); on enabling input for Control and not for regular Input (that's dandy, but what about Output? Is that required for proper functionality? I'm kind of a MIDI newb so I'm honestly not sure); etc. It wouldn't surprise me completely if I wasn't missing some small-ish but essential step in getting this thing setup.

With or without a working Faderport, Reaper has filled a tremendous gap in my production experience. The support that the community gives one another is fantastic and, thanks to this forum, it's rare that I have a problem for long.

Thanks!
ngarjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
jadoube

Hey... I am searching the forum because my Faderport WAS working just fine in Reaper and at some point in the last month or so... has stopped working in Reaper. But... if I run Cubase SX 3... the Faderport works as normal. Then I run Reaper... and it's fine.

So... anybody have some ideas? ngarjuna do you have some software with Faderport drivers that you can try? (Faderport has a specific Cubase driver)
Old 04-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
jadoube

Take a look at this...

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthre...ight=faderport

I won't have a chance to try it till tomorrow night.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:17 AM   #4
Anton Farmer

Hi there

This is important!

Do not, repeat DO NOT enable the FaderPort in the Midi In and Midi Out options page in REAPER (It is a USB Control Device, not a Midi Device!)

The FaderPort only needs to be enabled on the control surface option page

Once you have enabled it there it should engage automatically each time you open REAPER

Hope this helps

Cheers
Anton
(REAPER->Vista Home->FaderPort)
Old 04-04-2008, 06:38 AM   #5
ngarjuna

So I spent some time tweaking yesterday night and I have made some progress...it's still not working, but I think I'm close.

Jadoube: I don't have the software that the native driver works in. I will look around at work and see if someone has a copy I can test this out with (someone probably does). That is interesting, though, that's not something I ever would have thought to try.

I have tried the procedure in the thread you linked (Uninstall, disconnect, reconnect), that doesn't have any affect on my setup; however, that email is addressed for users for whom it is not showing up as a "USB Audio Device" in Device Mgr, which mine is, so I suspect that is for a different problem (sometimes XP can get tricked into installing USB Composite drivers, apparently; but that is also not my problem after some investigation).

Anton Farmer: Thank you for that piece of information, that was a fundamental I was missing. I knew my Reaper setup wasn't right and that was part of the problem. I disabled the input and output in MIDI Devices, setup the Control Surface area and all the dreaded MIDI errors and Control Surface error messages have ceased. Unfortunately, the FaderPort doesn't respond or trigger anything at this point, but at least the error messages have stopped (that's progress, right?)

When I got home last night, I was strongly favoring a solution which involved gutting my Windows MIDI/USB setup and reinstalling it (gently). Now I'm leaning towards thinking that I still have something setup incorrectly in Reaper.

I ran a utility (from M-Audio) which cleans out the registry of USB/MIDI devices (the old XP problem of only allowing 10 device instances in this category).

Next, I added the M-Audio driver to my XP install for the Keystation61 ES (it's actually a generic driver for all their type II devices). It said in the FAQ on their site that while one does not need to run their driver (since XP recognizes it just fine), it should be used either to allow the keyboard to I/O to multiple apps at once OR to allow the simultaneous usage of multiple devices in this class. At first, I thought this was exactly what I needed; after all, both devices were coming up in XP as USB Audio Device, and both with the same driver sets (in registry). Upon re-reading the FAQ, I have subsequently decided I probably didn't need the M-Audio MIDI driver; it seems that what they mean by using multiple devices in the class refers to using multiple keyboards.

After cleaning out the MIDI/USB situation, I loaded both devices back up, tried the settings in Anton Farmer's post, and no dice. Still no error messages, but no fader operation either.

Now I wanted to test a theory; maybe it had nothing to do with my XP install or USB problems at all. So I took yon FaderPort to work. I moved the FaderPort.dll file into the Reaper directory (I have no idea if Reaper can/needs to use this file; I have tried it both ways and it doesn't seem to make a difference; then again, maybe I have the file in the wrong place). I plugged in the FaderPort to my XP machine at my desk, it recognized and installed it. I loaded up Reaper; set for Presonus FaderPort, exactly the same result as at home: nothing.

Here's the only "clue" I have gotten: I decided to experiment briefly and set the Reaper control to HUI (partial) since the FaderPort brags HUI compliance to work with ProTools. When set for that preset, the fader responds 100% to the fader control in Reaper. The transport buttons all work in that mode too. The channel select, fader mode do not seem to work in that mode (the channel select functions cause really buggy behavior). Again, here at work, if I set the preset to HUI partial I get some buggy partial operations (the fader amongst them), but in FaderPort mode it just does nothing. So it would seem that something is up with that Presonus FaderPort preset or the way I'm invoking it.

Thanks for all the help so far; hopefully I'm not far from my solution here.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:42 AM   #6
ngarjuna

Solved! At least it is on my work machine, but that gives me some hope that I can reproduce these steps on my home environments for similar results.

Here's what I did: Uninstall Reaper. Installed version 2.108 (I noticed the last several versions had updates to Control Surface features, so I looked for an install that was prior to those changes). Started Reaper, setup FaderPort per Anton's suggestions, worked perfectly. Encouraged, I updated (release by release) to 2.14159 [tested FaderPort, still worked], to 2.146 [tested FaderPort, still worked], to 2.147 [tested FaderPort, still worked], then to 2.148...and it is still working. Hooray!!

Now to get down to some mixing...Thanks again for the assistance everyone.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:20 AM   #7
ngarjuna

Sure enough, tried the same steps on my Vista x64 system and it's working like a charm. I cannot explain why these steps work, but they do for me.

-Install the FaderPort; upgrade the firmware
-Uninstall Reaper 2.148
-Install Reaper 2.14159
-Configure FaderPort in Control Surfaces
-Install Reaper 2.146
-Install Reaper 2.147
-Install Reaper 2.148
(I stopped in between in each install to verify the FaderPort was still working).

I don't understand why installing it this way worked and just trying to get 2.148 didn't; maybe it's specific to my system. But for me, to install FaderPort on a system running 2.148 didn't work. I don't know if it's really necessary to go all the way back to 2.14159 (maybe just stepping back to 2.147 would have done the trick), I did it to be safe since that was what had worked for me earlier.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:32 PM   #8
Anton Farmer

Hi ngarjuna

Glad you got everything sorted out at last!

That was a weird set of problems

Cheers
Anton
Old 04-07-2008, 05:11 PM   #9
ngarjuna

I've been using my FaderPort a lot since the last message, I think I'm having exactly the same problem as David (earlier in the thread). Maybe a post 2.146 bug? Any time I disconnect my FaderPort from the USB port, after reconnecting it again it is unresponsive to and from Reaper. If I install 2.14159 FaderPort springs to life. Then I can run the latest upgrade (this work-around succeeded with both 2.148 and 2.2 thus far) and FaderPort remains working. It's a little bit of a pain (my video editing software doesn't run properly in this OS so I have to boot out a lot which causes the above-mentioned reset), but thankfully Reaper is a small/fast install so it really doesn't take very long. I'd rather work around the bug than send my FaderPort back; I've become somewhat attached to it already and it really does work fine once I do the 2.14159-two-step.

I'm guessing this correlates to what David has to do to get his to work (I'm only hypothesizing here), only I'm using an older build of Reaper while he's using a different software piece.

Curiosity: Can you install two different versions of Reaper (in different directories, obviously) in the same OS install without causing any problems? Maybe all I have to do is leave 2.14159 installed in another directory and run it to wake the FaderPort up...I'll have to try that later.

It would seem this problem is not widespread...I'm hypothesizing again (look out!), but I noticed in XP when I use the FaderPort (send commands with it) and it's not working, I get the flashing problem reported in that other thread...wonder if intellipoint drivers might not be the culprit here too (I have them installed in both OS). David, you use Intellipoint drivers too?
Old 04-08-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
mypetsmeagol

also had this problem...went back to version 2.14159 and works fine. The problem seems to be after you unplug it - in version 2.14159 Reap still finds it, but any version after, if you unplug, it will not find. So needless to say I'm sticking with 2.14159 until it's fixed.
mypetsmeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:53 PM   #11
ngarjuna

My experiment worked (I think). Here's my new workaround for the FaderPort:

-Install Reaper 2.14159 to a *different* directory than your normal Reaper directory (for me I used c:\Program Files (x86)\REAPERold\). A totally minimal install is fine (you can uncheck all the stuff you're not going to use).
-Install Reaper 2.current to the regular Reaper directory.
-Run the REAPERold version, the FaderPort should spring to life.
-Close REAPERold. Run Reaper, the FaderPort should be fully activated.

It's less than ideal, but at least you don't have to reinstall Reaper every time you plug in the FaderPort. Nobody answered whether or not there were potential problems with having two Reaper installs in the environment, so I'll have to do some work and see. So far (in very brief, surface-level testing) there don't seem to be any issues.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:18 AM   #12
ScottyD

I originally had no problems... now all of a sudden my FaderPort stopped working. I followed almost all of your steps (minus the incremental upgrades) and it still doesn't work. The only additionally thing I tried (which I assume wouldn't have any effect) is updated the drivers on my Firestudio Project. I think I'll give it a couple days before I tackle it again because I've been staring at it too long.

-ScottyD
ScottyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:35 PM   #13
mcshane

Default Thanks ngarjuna

Followed your steps as I was having the same problem running it in XP Pro 64x. Works just fine now. Presonus states that the user button is definable. Has anyone been able to do this in Reaper? Looks like you can only set midi in and out.
mcshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #14
mypetsmeagol

ngarjuna - if you unplug/replug your faderport with the new version, does it still work?
Old 04-11-2008, 10:16 AM   #15
ngarjuna

Nope, if I unplug it and plug it back in, the newer versions of Reaper cannot restart the device. That's why I left 2.14159 in that separate directory: now whenever I plug in my FaderPort, all I have to do is start the old install version and FaderPort springs to life. Then when you close Reaper-old and open Reaper-current, Reaper-current is able to see the device. But that process does have to be repeated every time the FaderPort is plugged in.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #16
JasonTheron

I don't know if this will help and I don't have a faderport but....

I have a BCF2000 and it only works if I turn it on before I start Reaper.

Stupid and simple, I know, but I'm just trying to help.

My Band - http://ischemiacore.com
Till's FR Vote Tracker - http://tillmannn.de/reaper.html -
Underground Music in Southern Oregon - http://www.myspace.com/sohcindustries
JasonTheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:39 AM   #17
ngarjuna

That's a good suggestion but in the case of the FaderPort it's USB powered (there is a power brick but it only controls the fader automation), so it should power on as soon as it is plugged into the USB port (and for me it does; the Stop and Off lights fire up, which is exactly what the unit is 'supposed to do' when you plug it in).
Old 04-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #18
JasonTheron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
That's a good suggestion but in the case of the FaderPort it's USB powered (there is a power brick but it only controls the fader automation), so it should power on as soon as it is plugged into the USB port (and for me it does; the Stop and Off lights fire up, which is exactly what the unit is 'supposed to do' when you plug it in).
I was just thinking that when unplug and replug it, that might be psyching Reaper out.

My Band - http://ischemiacore.com
Till's FR Vote Tracker - http://tillmannn.de/reaper.html -
Underground Music in Southern Oregon - http://www.myspace.com/sohcindustries
JasonTheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:26 AM   #19
ngarjuna

Oh I understand. Nope, this happens when the unit is plugged back in prior to starting up Reaper [current versions]; you can restart Reaper [current] and it has never 'discovers' the FaderPort until you jump-start it -- either with an older version of Reaper or, in jadoube's case, Cubase.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #20
ScottyD

I always power mine before I start Reaper. I use a Furman power conditionr and my Firestudio is on it as well, so I have to power it up before I start Reaper so it shows. Just not sure what is wrong...
Old 04-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #21
ScottyD

I've tried just about every combination of settings at this point to make this work. No luck so far...

-ScottyD
Old 04-20-2008, 09:14 PM   #22
BrotherLove

Heya Ngarjuna - thanks for the thread. I have just have the same issue with my Faderport. I followed your steps and its fixed, though I'm back at version 2.14 (happy to stay there for a while to see if this gets ironed out soon).
Coincidently, another small irk has been fixed now too - I have installed Itunes (I know, I know....don't tell me, its garbage software, but I need it to interact with my Iphone). Ever since then I've had a noticeable drop in DSP power and lots of static clicks if I push too hard with track counts. I naturally blamed Itunes, but since I revered back to 2.14 Im back to full power and clean signal...weird.
BrotherLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:14 AM   #23
Sonic Vampire

I had problems with mine initially but it hasnt missed a beat for ages, I am still on reaper version 2.020
Sonic Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:41 AM   #24
ngarjuna

I can confirm that the new version is having the same error.

It would be great if a Dev could either have a look at this or at least tell us that it's not going to be looked at; then I'll stop hoping at least.

This isn't just a glitch on my system: I have replicated this problem on multiple computers, multiple operating environments (32 and 64 bit builds) and there are others who have posted that confirm the same issue.

Personally, I only bought the FaderPort because my Sweetwater rep (a Reaper user) told me how well it worked in Reaper. Yes, I know that isn't Cockos' problem, they certainly didn't try to sell me a FaderPort. But it would be a fix that I'm sure others would appreciate (according to this thread we have users who won't upgrade to utilize some of the awesome new features because of this issue).

Can we please get some feedback?

To the folks in this thread who haven't updated in a while (presumably due to this issue): it's worth using the workaround in my opinion. That way you get the extra features. The downside is really just 11ish Mb (although you don't need anywhere near a full install of 2.14159 so really < 11 Mb) and the nagging feeling that your hardware isn't exactly working right.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:44 AM   #25
Justin
Administrator

Unfortunately PreSonus didn't let us keep a FaderPort around for testing...

OK so what's the latest theory? You need to configure the control surface with an old version, then open it with the new version, for it to work?

When it doesn't work, is it the updating of the surface, or the surface notifying REAPER, that fails? Or both?

-Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #26
ngarjuna

That's awfully lame (not letting you keep a unit for testing). It seems to me a product as limited in use as the FaderPort would benefit from having models in the hands of as many developers as are willing to try to support it.

Okay, here's what I'm getting.

"When it doesn't work"
-Plug in the FaderPort (I always plug in my Keystation 61ES first, then the FaderPort; I don't know if that's in any way pertinent but I want to give you as much info as possible)
-Start Reaper [Current] (where [Current] = any version after 2.14159; I've tried each of them)
-There are no control surface error messages (I have the feature to warn of Cont Surf errors checked in Prefs -> Ctrl Surf)
-The FaderPort neither responds to input from Reaper (select a channel, move a slider; transport functions; mute/solo; etc.); So I can hit Play on Reaper but the FaderPort still reads Stop, for example.
-nor does it pass output to Reaper (on all those same functions)
So I can hit any button, fader or knob on the FaderPort and it just doesn't seem to do anything.
-When you look at the Control Surfaces in Prefs, it seems to be setup correctly and seems to be the correct device ID.

"When it does work"
-Plug in the FaderPort (same as above, KB first)
-Start up Reaper [Old] (where [Old] = 2.14159; I haven't tried any releases farther back than that; I think I chose that one because there were release notes which mentioned changes to the control surface system in the next release, but I don't recall exactly how I stumbled onto the fact that 2.14159 worked)
-The FaderPort works as you would expect: proper input and output with Reaper.
-Close Reaper [Old]. Open Reaper [Current]. FaderPort continues to work as expected.

So it's almost like you have to jump start it to get it going. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that they were using a different application altogether to achieve this affect (Cubase SX3), so it's not just 2.14159 that makes it start working, rather it seems that there is something about the releases after that one that make it not start working.

I hope that's clear and not too convoluted. Thanks for taking the time to look into this, much appreciated.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:29 AM   #27
Justin
Administrator

OK I think I may have found the problem:

Try replacing your Plugins\reaper_csurf.dll with this version:

http://landoleet.org/reaper_csurf.dll

-Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:39 AM   #28
ngarjuna

I'm back at the office at the moment, but I'll try this out in about 2.5 hours and let you know.

Thanks again for looking into this. This kind of support (which I've witnessed in so many threads since I became a regular forum lurker) simply cannot be beat.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:32 PM   #29
mcshane

Default Thanks Justin!

I was experiencing the same problem as ngarjuna. Replacing the .dll worked for me.
mcshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:00 PM   #30
ngarjuna

Fixed! Very sweet. You have my gratitude.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:12 PM   #31
ScottyD

I will try when I get home! I am on a business trip so I'm about 900 miles from my studio

I'm REALLY hoping this works. Thanks to all the people who have helped out on this.

-ScottyD
Old 04-25-2008, 09:42 AM   #32
mypetsmeagol

yes yes yes! Thanks Justin!
Old 04-26-2008, 09:37 AM   #33
ScottyD

BOOYAH!!!!

BACK IN BUSINESS!

Thanks Justin! You just made my day.

-ScottyD
Old 08-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #34
tweeksound

Hello, can someone please send me that new .dll maybe?
My faderport stopped woking all a sudden and I'm trying to figure out why.
The link no longer works.
You can send it to tweeksound@verizon.net

Thanks!
tweeksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #35
ngarjuna

Did it stop working in this latest version (what are we up to, 2.44?)? I don't think I have the DLL anymore, Justin built it into the next release and that was that, but I'll check. If it is broken again, though, I'm sure the devs will be willing to look into it. Lemme test when I get home.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:56 PM   #36
tweeksound

Umm... nevermind I guess.
I unplugged all USB devised but the faderport, resterted my PC, and voila. All better?

Thanks anyway.
tweeksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #37
jon_maxwell

I am having all kinds of issues. I don't even know where to begin.
I installed the firmware for the faderport.
Set the control surface in reaper as the faderport.
I've tried uninstalling the latest version of Reaper and installing the earlier version as described by ngarjuna.
My system tells me that latest version doesn't work while the earlier version is installed even though I put it in a different directory.
The link for that .dll is broken so I wont know what it does lol.

Being that I am a software based sound designer/editor/mixer, I have survived without the faderport but for precision edits...it would be nice to have and have operational. I wanted to use Reaper for the price and power but is there anyway my faith can be restored?

EDIT: If you have a fix, please email me at joncmaxwell.x@gmail.com

Last edited by jon_maxwell; 05-07-2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: needed to add email address
jon_maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #38
jon_maxwell

UPDATE: Well... I took the .dll from the CD that came with it and transfered it into the REAPER folder...it didn't work at first, then I restarted my computer and then >MOST< of the faderport became operational. I dont have the automation feature but can write envelope points and play/pause/stop the timeline but I can't rewind. Almost there I guess. Still needs some tweaking.
jon_maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:56 PM   #39
plgrmsprgrs

Hi Jon,

I was under the impression that Faderport works with Reaper fine as is, without any software installation. At least that's how I think I set mine up, and it works very nicely. It's too late for me to dig into this, but I thought I'd mention it in case you wanted to try it that way.

Kyle
Old 05-08-2011, 03:08 AM   #40
icemac

faderport works 100% out of the box, in reaper 'select' it as the control surface, nothing more
icemac is offline   Reply With Quote