Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-28-2019, 09:41 AM   #1
Topvega
Human being with feelings

Default USB Midi keyboard not working with certain VSTi's

I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why this is happening. Certain VSTi's don't make sound via mu USB Keyboard. The latest is Sampletank 4. It only seems to happen with VSTi's that don't have a choice of all midi inputs or an Omni option.
The track is armed and it shows input when I strike a key but no sound is generated and the virtual keyboard on-screen does not show a key being pressed.
I have my MIDI input selected to my keyboard and all channels.
If I use another VSTi that works and create a MIDI pattern and copy that to the Sampletank track it plays fine. It just won't let me use the USB Keyboard.

Any help would be appreciated. I just bought Sampletank 4 and it is a bummer not to be able to use it.
Topvega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:14 AM   #2
Topvega

So of course right after I posted this thread I finally figured it out. I figured I would share what I found in case others have this same problem.

I checked All MIDI inputs and then the drop-down below it said Map input to channel. I switched it from source channel to channel 1 and now it works.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:51 AM   #3
DarkStar

A couple of things:
(a) have a look at what MIDI channel your keyboard is using for the MIDI; you can probably set it back to 1 on the keyboard itself.
(b) Multi-timbral instruments such as SampleTank can play instruments on any of the 16 MIDI channels; so you may wish to set your keyboard to different channels at different times.

Or, as you have found, you can map it in the MIDI Input Device options in Reaper.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:19 AM   #4
Topvega

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
A couple of things:
(a) have a look at what MIDI channel your keyboard is using for the MIDI; you can probably set it back to 1 on the keyboard itself.
(b) Multi-timbral instruments such as SampleTank can play instruments on any of the 16 MIDI channels; so you may wish to set your keyboard to different channels at different times.

Or, as you have found, you can map it in the MIDI Input Device options in Reaper.
Thanks for the info. For now, I am just happy I got it to work at all. I will delve further into it later.